Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 56,881 to 56,900 of 69,962

Grumblevolcano

Crazy how the early 2022 Direct will be the first main Direct in 4 years not to feature Smash.

• March 2018 Direct - Smash Ultimate reveal
  • E3 2018 Direct - Half the Direct focused on Smash Ultimate
  • September 2018 Direct - Limited edition console and Isabelle reveal
  • February 2019 Direct - Tease of Stage Builder and Shared Content
  • E3 2019 Direct - Hero and Banjo reveal
  • September 2019 Direct - Banjo release date, Terry reveal and Banjo stream straight after Direct
  • March 2020 Direct Mini - Next fighter revealed to be from ARMS
  • February 2021 Direct - Pyra/Mythra reveal
  • E3 2021 Direct - Kazuya reveal

With the likely setup being:

• September 2021 Direct - Final fighter revealed

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Anti-Matter

@Eel
Sorry for the rant about Smash Bros. 😣
I was at the point I want to let it out something that really disturbing me.

Anti-Matter

JaxonH

So, Mario Golf is out now and it's been a ton of fun. I've been enjoying it with the motion which is quite well done and adds some real challenge.

Tony Hawk is out and it's everything I wanted. I'm sure many are enjoying that as well.

But what say you about the recent demos? We got Ys IX: Monstrum Nox, we got Disgaea 6, we got Neo: The World Ends With You and we got Monster Hunter Stories 2.

I see Monster Hunter Stories 2 has rocketed up on the Amazon Best Sellers list ever since the demo dropped, so it seems many are enjoying it and it's doing its job.

We've been treated properly this week with demos. Even if you think a particular game doesn't appeal to you, I encourage you to give them a try anyways. They're free, it only takes 15 minutes to give it a whirl, and they're all really good games.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@Snaplocket
Are you looking at Amazon US? Cause it's even worse than that. I'm omitting a bunch of other Switch games in the top 100- this is just pre-orders or games that released Friday.

#5 Mario Golf Super Rush
#15 Zelda Skyward Sword
#29 Shin Megami Tensei V
#35 Metroid Dread
#52 Monster Hunter Stories 2
#67 Danganronpa Decadence
#79 Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1/2
#155 Disgaea 6
#256 Neo: The World Ends With You NSW
#533 Neo: The World Ends With You PS4
#972 Ys IX: Monstrum Nox

Ys IX and Neo: TWEWY are getting crushed.

I have to assume it's not that people are unimpressed, but rather people haven't even cared enough to try the demos. If everyone had actually played Ys and TWEWY demo, theyd be charting much higher because both are incredibly good games and quality Switch versions at that.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@Snaplocket
Ys is an RPG, and certainly niche at that, but it's far from being unknown. Ys VIII on Switch outsold all other versions, even despite releasing a year or two after the fact. I recall it smashing up to #50 or so. And, to be fair it still could come release day, but usually games hang around in the #100-400 range leading up to release. The disinterest this time is palpable.

But ya, Neo: TWEWY is definitely flying under the radar. We've seen how a demo can boost interest and visibility, as with Monster Hunter Rise and Monster Hunter Stories 2, but for some reason Neo: TWEWY demo just isn't having that effect. I have to reiterate I don't think it's ppl disliking the demo, I think people just aren't even playing it to begin with.

Perhaps the release of Mario Golf and Tony Hawk on the same day, combined with another demo for Monster Hunter Stories 2 that's grabbing all the attention, and even if they're less popular, the Ys IX demo and Disgaea 6 demo are also competing for time, and that has resulted in collateral damage. Too many games releasing all at once.

BruceCM

Did my part playing the Ys IX demo on Switch since it was available before the Steam version Obviously, with it coming to both, I'll get it Steam & it's available to pre-purchase there
Where else has the physical pre-order in America?

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Cotillion

JaxonH wrote:

I have to assume it's not that people are unimpressed, but rather people haven't even cared enough to try the demos. If everyone had actually played Ys demo

I can't speak for others on this, but I never tried the demo nor preordered Ys IX, I just know I'm going to buy it on release based on how much I enjoyed Ys VIII.

Cotillion

IceClimbers

@JaxonH Absolutely delighted that SMT V is that high this far out from launch!! Very much looking forward to that game.

I tried the MH Stories 2 demo and I'm loving it so far!! My only real complaint is the unlocked framerate, which was very noticeable during cutscenes at least. That Switch Pro can't come soon enough! The game itself looks great and the gameplay is fun though!

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

JaxonH

@IceClimbers
For sure. I think we all share that gripe. But it really is fantastic. I recommend trying Neo: The World Ends With You and Ys IX demos. You might be surprised! Nothing to lose, anyways, except a bit of time being entertained for free 😀

And ya, I'm also very impressed that both Metroid and SMTV are holding it down. Usually games shoot up when announced then drop off until launch. These games just won't go away and I love it!

@Shadowthrone
Right on. I did try the demo on Switch and am glad to report it's a much better go around on Switch this time. The quality is much higher than Ys VIII was. It feels so good playing handheld.

Edited on by JaxonH

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH Switch is the only platform with a filled known upcoming lineup so that helps those games. PS upcoming lineup is very unknown (Nintendo 2020 levels of unknown) while people hope for a PS event in the near future and Xbox's lineup is still rather barren even with E3 2021.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Haruki_NLI

There's a TWEWY demo?

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

IceClimbers

@Grumblevolcano Microsoft has an Xbox Game Studios title launching every month through the end of the year. The problem is that outside of Halo/Gears/Forza and Bethesda's big titles, none of their stuff gets seen as a big title in a lineup. Flight Simulator and Psychonauts 2 won't get viewed as titles in a main lineup for example, whereas even Advance Wars gets looked at as a main title in a lineup for Nintendo.

It's a perception issue that Microsoft has that they need to overcome.

Edited on by IceClimbers

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

link3710

@JaxonH It's probably because the NEO: TWEWY demo hasn't been announced... anywhere as far as I'm aware. I'm only aware of it from this forum. Was it a shadow drop or something?

link3710

JaxonH

@IceClimbers
Thats so true.

Nintendo's games, even their smaller ones, have diehard fans that get super hyped in response. Advance War fans are living la Vida loca right now. SMT fans in pure ecstasy. Metroid fans have been waiting for this moment their entire lives. Even Mario Party fans are celebrating with the return to classic N64 boards. A 2-5 million seller can be GotY for its fanbase, even Game of the Generation. It's not about budget, it's about quality fun.

But MS's titles just don't have that effect. Nobody's flipping their lid over a flight sim, or running laps around their office for Psychonauts. Not to insult those games. But, let's be real- they're just not that exciting.

I think part of the problem is, MS wasn't around in the early years pumping out classics like Nintendo was on the SNES. They don't have many storied IP that people are diehard fans of (aside from the aforementioned Halo, Forza and Gears). Which, I get it. Every company has their top 3. Nintendo has Mario, Zelda and Pokémon. But there's so many other IP Nintendo has that truly excites fans. Sooooo many. Even Mario Golf, a sports spinoff of Mario, has its diehard fans (I'm one of them- been waiting on it for years now). Not so many for MS, unfortunately.

That said, now that they have Bethesda, I can see that changing. People DO feel that way about Doom. People DO feel that way for Elder Scrolls. People DO feel that way for Wolfenstein. People DO feel that way for Fallout. So, things are looking pretty hot for Xbox right now, and I say that as someone who owns every platform except Xbox. They just need some time for their acquisitions to bear fruit.

They needed that Bethesda deal. They needed it so badly. That move single handedly made Xbox relevant again going into a generation where they very likely were about to lose even more marketshare than they did with Xbox One. PS was mopping the floor with them last gen at a 2:1 ratio, and that was before Switch blew up and started tearing into both of them. 9th gen was not looking good for Xbox. Then Bethesda happened. And suddenly the entire game has changed.

The question is, will they leverage it properly? Nothing short of permanent exclusives- lots of them... great ones- will change perceptions. They need to consistently deliver amazing permanent exclusives, and do it long enough that people feel they can trust it to continue long term.

@link3710
Ya they stealth dropped it amid the ruckus of Mario Golf, Tony Hawk and the MH Stories 2 demo, with nothing but a tweet. Got completely drowned out.

But, that's what word of mouth is for. People will catch on soon enough. Jut gotta spread the word and let em know what's up.

Edited on by JaxonH

kkslider5552000

JaxonH wrote:

But MS's titles just don't have that effect. Nobody's flipping their lid over a flight sim, or running laps around their office for Psychonauts. Not to insult those games. But, let's be real- they're just not that exciting.

This is very obviously not true with Psychonauts. Psychonauts is absolutely one of those niche games that enough people did go crazy for when a sequel got announced. Even if I hadn't seen it myself, I would know that just because of how people love the original game. If you've not seen hype for it, its because it was announced AGES ago, and there's only so much you can talk about a 2nd game coming out in a platforming series, regardless of quality. I went nuts for TWEWY getting a long desired sequel, its not even taken that long from announcement to release, and I've still not talked about it much in a while.

That being said, I do agree with the rest of your post. Even being kind to Microsoft, they've not been a haven for interesting or varied video games since their weird Kinect experiment (and I've been harsh when Nintendo's avoided having their games be too interesting, so I can make that critique). They've just had one good idea with Game pass and lucked into everyone being like "well we can put this on Xbox one too, its close enough to PS4".

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

link3710

@JaxonH Was about to call out on Psychonauts, but kkslider beat me to it. Regardless, while I do agree, why isn't this an issue for Sony? Sony's release slate is mostly very new IPs. Sure Ratchet and Clank and Souls are two gens old now, but most of Microsoft's IPs like Fable, Zoo Tycoon, Flight Simulator etc are that old. Heck, they have access to Rare's full catalog of IP, with many beloved titles like Perfect Dark, Battletoads, Killer Instinct and Banjo-Kazooie, which also have large fanbases. Meanwhile, Last of Us, Horizon, Days Gone etc manage to get far more attention despite being relatively new IPs.

I'm not sure that access to Bethesda's IPs alone will be enough... especially when Bethesda is struggling to put out good games with those IPs lately.

link3710

JaxonH

@kkslider5552000
You think so? I heard a little rumbling about it, some people were reasonably happy but, nothing out of the ordinary for a sequel of a pretty good game. But ok. Maybe you’re right. I can’t say the game appeals to me so I’m probably not the best judge.

But MS has all the ingredients to blow the lid off. All the pieces are there. I’m not saying I, Jaxon Holden, as a gamer, personally want to see this happen. I rather like them allowing games on Switch. I rather like day and date Steam releases. But if I’m Phil Spencer, here’s what I would be doing:

1 Secure Ori as a permanent Xbox exclusive. Buy it out and the studio if they haven’t already. The existing releases on Switch is great to establish a wider fanbase, but going forward, future entries are 100% Xbox/PC exclusive.

2 Secure Cuphead developer as a permanent Xbox exclusive studio. Buy it out. The existing release on PS/Switch is great to establish a wider fanbase, but going forward, future entries are 100% Xbox/PC exclusive.

3 All games moving forward are Xbox/PC exclusive, permanently. And Steam releases come 1 year later than Xbox, not day and date. No more multi platform releases. No Switch. No PS. With one exception…

4 Release Halo: Master Chief Collection on Switch, and here’s why. It’s a bold move to put your main franchise on a competitor platform, of course, but Microsoft needs to garner new interest from up incoming gamers. Too long has Xbox failed to draw in new players, and this would be an opportunity to show the 100 million gamers in the Switch ecosystem exactly why Halo is as revered as it is, and why they should be investing into Xbox rather than PS. Shooters are still crazy popular, and Switch is the number 1 platform to harvest potential Xbox customers.

5 Ensure a new Doom is in development exclusively for Xbox, ready to reveal at e3 2023.

6 Ensure a new Wolfenstein is in development exclusively for Xbox, ready to reveal at e3 2023.

7 Ensure a new Fallout is in development exclusively for Xbox, ready to reveal at e3 2023.

8 Ensure the new Elder Scrolls in development exclusively for Xbox is ready to reveal at e3 2023.

9 Hellblade 2 is ready to show e3 2022, exclusively for Xbox.

10 New Ori is ready to show at e3 2022, exclusively for Xbox.

11 New Fable shown at e3 2022.

12 New exclusive Pillars shown at e3 2022.

13 Every studio under the Xbox umbrella with a game releasing in the next 3 years, I showcase their game at e3 2022 and 2023. Bombard the lineup to overwhelm people.

And if I were given approval to move forward, I would also do the following:

12 Acquire a competent Japanese Studio with large enough teams to consistently release 1 solid game per year.

13 Have JP studio revive Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon as first order of business.

14 Pay Bandai Namco for an Xbox exclusive Tales game.

15 Buy Sega/Atlus. Again, these are not my personal desires, but if I’m Phil Spencer, this is exactly what I’d do. If Xbox is to truly take this seriously and establish themselves as a global leader that can actually rival Sony, they need a Japanese studio with large established IP to complement Bethesda. Sony has basically permanently bought off Final Final Fantasy. If Xbox is to ever truly challenge them, they need games that will make people buy a console to play. If I’m Phil, I pay whatever I have to. I bombard e3 2023 with exclusive trailers for upcoming games in all the top Sega IP- from Yakuza to Valkyria Chronicles to Aliens, Monkey Ball, Persona, etc. I also find an extremely talented developer to work with Sonic Team, helping them as needed to come up with a new era of releases for Sonic that are top tier. No more mediocrity. I make Sonic the new Mario, and if certain devs need to be replaced or shuffled around to make that happen, then that’s what I do.

Edited on by JaxonH

kkslider5552000

It is interesting to see how all three companies have gone about things. Nintendo's endearing popularity is heavily based on usually trying their best to keep their long-running series interesting while adding just enough new series to not seem like purely a nostalgia company, Sony relies more on whatever is currently cool while having enough interesting niche-ish stuff to seem like the cool yet quirky guys, and Microsoft wants to be the bad*** mature (both actually mature and not) American company but has had difficulties being consistent at almost anything else, and their usual IPs don't seem like they really attract new audiences by doing new, exciting things. Or at least not things that people notice before release. I've watched their conferences for a decade, I could not tell you what makes Halo 4 different from 5. Same with Gears. One of the Forza games had a lego thing. shrugs

I actually liked Xbox as a brand in the 2000s, I have fond memories of the original Xbox's games and early 360 exclusives but after that...eh...

I mean they might've found a way around that, but it is unfortunate that one of the ways is just taking away two of the most notable western RPG developers from everyone else. But that is at least interesting, and does make me think of good games I would play on Xbox in the past.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

link3710

@kkslider5552000 I'd be more upset about the Bethesda buyout if Bethesda wasn't self-destructing hard right now. Quite frankly, I think it's much more likely now that we'll get decent Bethesda games than when they were independent. Save for the Doom reboot (I haven't played Eternal yet, not sure there), none of their games post Skyrim have interested me at all save New Vegas, and they didn't even develop that. And Skyrim tbh never quite captured my interest the way Morrowind did.

link3710

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic