Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 51,881 to 51,900 of 69,981

JaxonH

NintendoLife LOOOOOVES stirring the pot any time a game is not announced for Switch.

That being said, given the success of the Switch and the fact the games could easily run and there’s high demand, I do think EA needs to be called out. This isn’t the Wii U era anymore. There are tens of millions of gamers who WANT their games on Switch, not PS4 or X1. And seeing companies still, to this day, taking the ostrich approach doesn’t sit well with people.

Of course, they very well could release it on Switch later. I hope they do. Otherwise I’ll wait for a deep deep sale on Steam to give them as little money as possible.

@DannyBoi
Only solution is delete software, go to eShop under your account and access the Redownload list, then hold L and select Borderlands 2 to redownload. It should give a message about only downloading the software and not the DLC.

That will get your game running until the fix the issue. If you really want to get the DLC working, I’ve heard downloading the DLC from Japan eShop works, but that’s a lot of hassle so personally I’m just going to wait until they fix it.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

TheFrenchiestFry

@JaxonH I do find it baffling certain titles don't make it over. I'm pretty confused by the fact that all of the Toys for Bob Crash and Spyro stuff were yearly timed exclusives to PS4/Xbox One before coming to Switch and PC, especially since I'd much rather play stuff like N. Sane Trilogy and Spyro Reignited on Steam with 60fps like those games deserve

The ME remaster sounds fairly significant based on the BioWare press release and the games are already pretty memory hungry on PS3/360 if memory serves me correctly, so I'm honestly not surprised they skipped out on Switch anyway. I'm not expecting Mafia Anniversary levels of facelifting but it sounds substantial enough that maybe it's less of a straight port job than I thought it'd be compared to something like Dark Souls Remastered.

But yeah seeing those articles genuinely tires me out and makes the writers on this site look pretty unprofessional in my opinion with how they go to great lengths just to vocally bicker about such minute things like this. Like boo hoo no Switch version, big deal.

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

JaxonH

@TheFrenchiestFry
As Switch and Steam fans, we’re used to waiting for games to come to our preferred platforms. Between being treated as secondary platforms and games being signed under exclusivity deals left and right, it’s almost a given to wait any time a game is announced for consoles to see if Steam and/or Switch versions are announced.

But ya, I’m sure it is remastered to be more demanding, but as with other Switch ports (Assassins Creed 3 and 4, Burnout Paradise, etc) they could just not enhance them on Switch aside from a few minor touch ups, ensuring gyro aiming is added and any gameplay changes are carried over. I really want Mass Effect trilogy on a hybrid handheld system. At least it’s coming to Steam if nothing else.

NintendoLife did the same thing with Monster Hunter World. In fact, I wager there was more articles written about that game on this site, which was never even coming Switch, than there have been for Monster Hunter Rise (despite it looking every bit as awesome). Which tells me it’s not about the games themselves, it’s about bragging rights. As soon as they get what they’re asking for, suddenly they stop caring.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Anti-Matter

@JaxonH
I have learned something about games exclusivity.
If the games will never ported to Nintendo machines, i will not whining again like when i really want The Sims 4 on Nintendo Switch.
At least it has console version on PS4 so as long there are the console version even not on Nintendo machine, i will buy the PlayStation version and it saves my day.

Anti-Matter

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH There's not much else to report on Monster Hunter Rise isn't there? They reported on the initial announcement, the Monster Hunter Direct, the TGS gameplay, the Greatsword gameplay and a few other details.

Though I do imagine Monster Hunter Rise info will become more common in the new year. Maybe if we're lucky there's a new trailer at the Game Awards too (World was a GotY nominee).

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
Lol there wasn’t ANYTHING to report on MH World with regard to Switch, but that didn’t stop them 😁

Though to be fair, they have provided Rise a reasonable amount of coverage given how early it still is.

@Anti-Matter
At the end of the day, having access to a game you want to play is what matters. Which is why I have a PC, to ensure I have access to other games (I just sold my Xbox One X and PS4 Pro yesterday, and all 120 of my games for those systems). But it’s to a point I simply do not want to play games without gyro that are based on aiming. So simply having access to the game is not enough. I need access with the bare minimum features required to properly enjoy a game in 2020. Playing without Gyro kind of feels like using a d-pad to aim. May as well be using a SNES controller. The hybrid play isn’t 100% necessary- I will play games on Steam if no hybrid version is available. But no gyro is an absolute deal-breaker. I can manage a single game here and there, but I cannot tolerate an entire platform where gyro is off limits. Meaning games on PS and Xbox may as well not even exist as far as I’m concerned (unless it’s an RPG or something where aiming isn’t a mechanic).

TheFrenchiestFry

@JaxonH Honestly if you ask me I think the P5 port article milking was considerably worse

Now I wasn't an active NLife reader when World was coming out but I definitely know this is far from the first time they've done this kind of "journalism"

I don't believe these developers treat Steam as second rate though. PC gaming probably has the largest audience of any of the core platforms and a multitude of titles, even ones that are console exclusive have made it on there in the past. I do think Switch is definitely not a priority for a lot of these developers but honestly given how much more demanding games are getting, I can't really blame them for mostly skipping that platform. In fact I'm actually more surprised when I hear games like The Outer Worlds and Divinity Original Sin 2 were even capable of running on it to begin with.

At the same time though I've never gotten the mentality of having a platform of preference or being loyal to a brand in general. I feel it tends to box people in regards to the kinds of games they're really able to enjoy and limits their perspective on others as a result. I remember really wanting a Wii U, but my dad thought it was a portable Wii after looking at one picture and shunned the idea, but now that I have a PS4 instead, I'm actually more happy with that in retrospect because the PS4's library is that incredible compared to how freaking anemic the Wii U lineup is. I've acquired tastes in many different genres as a result of investing in all the platforms at one point or another, and even though Switch is technically my first ever Nintendo home console, it doesn't really mean I'm on the side of people who will neglect any and every multiplatform game if there isn't a Switch version, especially this coming gen, despite seeing the appeal of having it on that platform.

I just think """news"""" of this kind doesn't really count as legit journalism and it's a really tired practice. By comparison the sister sites to this one actually have classier staff that don't seek to milk this kind of stuff while driven by their own personal salt lol

Maybe it's because I've just not used my Switch as much this year compared to every other platform I own (PS4 and PC mainly), but clearly this site doesn't really have its priorities straight if it's dwelling on such petty things like games missing their goddamn video game console

TheFrenchiestFry

Grumblevolcano

I will say, I'm surprised Nintendo Life hasn't reported on XC2 reaching 2 million. Between Shulk in Smash and the franchise releasing on a successful console (while Wii was extremely successful it plummeted off a cliff in its last few years so XC1 for Wii doesn't really count as releasing on a successful console), the franchise has grown a fair amount over the past 10 years.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@TheFrenchiestFry
I understand Steam is huge, but it’s an undeniable fact that games come to that platform late all the time. Not as much as Switch but... enough. Especially with Epic Game Store. And to this day there are certain games that are on PC yet (Kingdom Hearts).

I agree about preference and loyalty, at least when talking about multiple platforms that offer the same thing. One should always have at least one other platform for scooping games that don’t come. But I do understand not wanting to play without certain features. For me, gyro is that feature. It’s not about platform loyalty so much as it is platform features I can’t live without. The day devs start adding gyro to PS5 games is the day I start buying those games on PS5. Hybrid play is another one, though it only applies for games that don’t look like Outer Worlds. Will always buy on Switch if given the choice. But if not given the choice, or it’s too compromised, then ya, that’s when Steam comes to the rescue. Even so, I ended up keeping my PS5 preorder. Won’t be buying anything but permanent exclusives on it, but... it’s good to have.

Again, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with expecting or wanting more of these games to come to Switch. I just don’t think it’s article newsworthy when one doesn’t.

Anti-Matter

@JaxonH
Wow, you sold 120 games already ?! 😮
Next time, if you want to sold your games, put them on Ebay and please let me know if i can find suitable titles for me from your collection. 😉
I'm looking for some retro games (PS1, PS2, PSP) recently.

Btw, there are some exclusive games on Sony machines such as Ratchet & Clank.
Do you miss them if you choose PC and Steam as PlayStation replacements ?

Anti-Matter

JaxonH

@Anti-Matter
I was gonna list on eBay but didnt have the energy to make 100+ listings and package them up, especially big consoles.

Never really liked Ratchet and Clank. Nothing inherently wrong with it, but the gameplay loop was never super fun or addictive. I'm very particular with my 3D platformers. In fact, Mario's the only one I've ever really liked.

And there's a few PS exclusives I'm a fan of, sure, but not that many. And some of them are starting to release on Steam now. Nonetheless, I do have a PS5 on the way, for the inevitable permanent exclusives I do like that dont come to Steam.

Giancarlothomaz

game industry analytis Dr.Serkan Toto believe/predict Nintendo will remain "King of Japan" with Nintendo Switch for the next years,(this analytis seen to have forgeted the monster that is PS5), PS5 will destroy Switch everywhere specially when Marvel Spider-man 2 and God of War Ragnarok release, Nintendo enjoy your nearly 3 and a half dominance in the Market, because ounce PS5 is released you gonna be detrohned as market leader(i been realistic here).

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/11/nintendo_will_remai...

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

Anti-Matter

@Giancarlothomaz
I think Japanese gamers will get hyped again by ACNH new updates on late November and Christmas day.
I can see a lot of Nintendo Switch machines will be sold quickly during Christmas holiday.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Giancarlothomaz

@Anti-Matter i see and i hope one the Winter update of Animal Crossing New Horizons that is coming late novembre, Brewster is in the update, if Nintendo add
Brewster in the upcoming Winter update, Switch is gonna reach 80/90 milions consoles sold at the end of they fiscal year, Hyrule Warriors:Age of Calamity will also help Nintendo reach this milestone.

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

Cotillion

@Giancarlothomaz The Playstation forums are over here : https://www.pushsquare.com/

Grumblevolcano wrote:

I will say, I'm surprised Nintendo Life hasn't reported on XC2 reaching 2 million.

At this point, I'm not at all. And not surprised to see yet another rumour article this morning in place of one actually about something like XC2.
The rumour mill topics wouldn't be as bad if it was peppered between ones about actual news.

Cotillion

TheFrenchiestFry

@JaxonH Kingdom Hearts not being on Steam is definitely something I'm really confused about

They released like every Final Fantasy game on Steam thus far but even Xbox got the collections before PC ever did.

I'm personally not too bothered by it since Kingdom Hearts was always an incentive for me to get PlayStations anyway but it's very jarring.

Persona 4 also took like 8 years but that's not really part of the trend because Atlus actually had to persuaded by SEGA in the first place to port it and had a previously sparse history with their games on PC to begin with.

I do understand the incentive behind porting particular stuff to Switch. I personally never really saw it as a platform I'd be encouraged to buy multiplats on. I was actually really hyped when DOOM and Wolf 2 were announced for it and ended up buying both having already beaten DOOM on Steam, but upon playing them I just thought the visual and performance sacrifices did a massive disservice to stuff like the art direction and attention to detail, especially in the case of Wolf 2. I ended up buying that game on PC instead and haven't cared to buy that kind of content since I recognize that's far from the Switch's strong suit, as much of a hook as portability is.

I just feel that articles like these not even supplementing legit news further contributes to the perception I've seen from a lot of people who think that people who prefer Switch are entitled and constantly have to voice their disdain for something so minor. This kind of outlook on the community is why I lowkey started to really hate stuff like that Break Free Persona BS that happened earlier in the year.

TheFrenchiestFry

JaxonH

@TheFrenchiestFry
Wolfenstein 2 was definitely compromised, though it is better now after the patch. DOOM seems pretty good though, especially post-patch. I dont feel like it's as downgraded, even if technically the resolution is comparable. Both games are strictly handheld on Switch for me, and both games are also in my Steam library.

But you're right, those types of games are far from ideal. But many other games make the transition to Switch better. Sniper Elite series being a great example. Games like DOOM and Wolf2 I keep in my Steam library, but most others like Bioshock and Borderlands and Civ 6 and Sniper Elite and Assassins Creed 3/4/Rogue and Metro Redux and Saint's Row 3/4, etc... those games I have no need of any other version.

As long as a game doesn't see excessive compromise, I have no desire to play anywhere else. If it has compromise but still reasonable, I'll buy on Switch for handheld and Steam for TV. If its Outer Worlds level disaster, it becomes Steam only. Btw, I hear SMT3 has issues on PS4 as well. Sounds like it's just a crap port all around. Not that I wont still be buying it. It's still totally playable and I dont exactly want to emulate the PS2 version.

On the one hand, I agree about the perception of entitled Switch gamers. On the other, I do think Switch gets unfairly shafted on a LOT of games that should be on a system that's hit 70 million sold in 3.5 years. And people are rightfully frustrated about that. Doesnt mean every game should be on Switch and the media should stir up outrage over ever example, but I do think there's validity to the frustration of seeing games that could run on Switch and would likely do very well continue to be ignored in favor of status quo. Developers have become too comfy in their "PS/Xbox is all that matters" world view. That needs to change.

TheFrenchiestFry

@JaxonH I'm actually really bummed SMTIII ended up being so sloppy. I've only seen the game running on Switch but for a remaster that apparently took two years and basically meant converting all the assets to work with Unity, it's honestly embarassing how seemingly low effort it was. The super cleaned up visuals look fantastic which makes the other factors like retaining the compressed music from the PS2 version stick out like a sore thumb. I was really excited for the game because I've never owned it physically and before now my only methods for playing the game were to boot up my PS3 and play it or to just emulate it on PC, and I was really tempted by finally being able to put it in my growing MegaTen games collection alongside SMTIV/Apocalypse, Soul Hackers and my Persona stuff.

When looking back at things I feel like I'm starting to further understand the whole perception that Nintendo doesn't really matter as much as they used to for developers considering for the games that are coming out now, especially the super mainstream stuff like shooters and looters, they probably see Nintendo's platforms as limiting for the kind of reach they'd have. I know a friend from high school who said she literally has no incentive for buying a Switch because the games she plays which are primarily super Western influenced like Elder Scrolls and stuff of the like just don't feel right on that platform at all. I can kind of see that mentality because to me the Switch occupies a considerably nicher space at present. Ironically by trying to lessen the gap between handheld and home console gaming, I feel that I'm starting to see more people get very vocal about their specific preferences for either or rather than both at the same time. Switch is a console I feel people have to be in a specific mindset to fully enjoy in general because I myself love handheld gaming, but not only am I into the more ambitious titles coming out at present, but I just don't take handheld consoles with me out and about like on trains or commuting or whatever. I can see myself doing that more when I actually get to go onto campus in uni after the pandemic, but I feel like Switch is a console you have to be in a very specific mood to appreciate all its qualities, and developers are kind of just playing it safe with the audiences they just know will buy their stuff as a result since their games are aiming to be less and less niche in that regard. It's a complicated topic to tackle but that's how I see it.

There's also the obvious power argument. Like you can keep saying Witcher 3 and DOOM but the graphical and scale threshold is constantly increasing and being surpassed all the time. After seeing how gorgeous games like NiER Automata and FFXV/VII Remake are, I'm almost glad they aren't on such a meager console by comparison because I can't imagine the technical constraints ultimately being worth it just to have it on the go like so many people vocal about these games do.

TheFrenchiestFry

JaxonH

@TheFrenchiestFry
You always have the option of playing elsewhere though. Even if you yourself value graphics above hybrid portability, there's still a substantial number of gamers who don't, or only have a Switch. Unless a game is Outer Worlds level of compromised, there's never reason to celebrate that option being omitted. All games look gorgeous on power consoles, but a good majority of the ones ported to Switch still appeal to a lot of people, even if they're not as pretty. Final Fantasy VII and Nier would be great Switch port candidates. It's just a question of how much work they put in to do it right. I look at Sniper Elite 4, releasing next week, and think ya, if they can make this open world game look this good, no way FFVII or Nier couldnt see equivalent results. But if they can't, then that's fine. But "not being as pretty" isnt suitable enough reason to me to not bring a game to Switch. It would have to be Outer Worlds level bad to not be worthwhile.

But ya, Switch isnt for everybody. Plenty of people out there who only care about a high graphics, visually pleasing TV experience. And that's fine. No product is for everyone. At the same time, Switch is on track to hit 125-150 million sold by the end of the generation. That's not much less than PS4 and X1 combined. So while it's not for everyone, I definitely wouldn't say its niche.

And while realistic, multiplatform titles dont perform as well, a lot of that is due to secondary treatment. When games are released day and date, such as Mortal Kombat XI, we see very strong results. And that Switch marketshare is continuing to grow. I could understand ignoring Wii U, but ignoring Switch is absurd. Regardless of whether everyone prefers the benefits of gyro and handheld play, there's an ever growing consumer base who does. And proper support will only increase demand. It will also increase demand for Nintendo to focus on making the next Switch as powerful as possible. If Nintendo's market studies tell them that's what the majority wants, they'll likely do it.

Many fail to realize Nintendo does pursue what works and what people want. Its why they focus on their top selling franchises. They know they'll sell really well. Its why they continued chasing the casual market with Wii U. They believed (wrongfully) it would appeal to the masses. They only ignored power in favor of gimmicks because power wasnt working. If they see now they're finally in a position where power sells for them, they're gonna make Switch 2 a substantial upgrade. But that requires having a gamer ship who cares about power, which only comes if Switch gets games that can benefit from said power.

Edited on by JaxonH

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic