Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 51,881 to 51,900 of 52,337

Ralizah

Damn it, I want Fire Emblem on our NSO. It would have been really cool if Nintendo had taken the opportunity to translate the NES/SNES entries for us.

Current Games:
Super Mario 64 (Switch)
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2 (PS2)
Ys I & II Chronicles+ (PC)

link3710

Sooooo looks like NSO has officially given up on adding new systems. Guess we won't see GameBoy games again til next system at the earliest

link3710

Northwind

Translation - at least good translation - is hard, and it frequently takes time to get it right. This, in fact, is why some games that have got their first official western release just recently have used existing fan translations for the official releases; it's cheaper, requires less time and saves the publisher from having to re-invent the wheel.

Back in the late 1980s and early 1990s, games could get away with less-than-perfect translations. Today, that would never fly for a new translation. FE games are text-heavy too, and they really do need to be translated well for the game to be fully enjoyed. I suppose some of that work might've already been done for the DS remake, but idk how much of that would carry over to the original because the DS version was a full remake. I too would love the NES and SNES entries of FE to be available - but I don't see it happening, sadly.

(As an aside, I am really hoping that Collection of SaGa includes at least the option to use the original translations. Those were hilariously bad in places, but they're part of those games' legacies imho.)

Edited on by Northwind

Autocorrect keeps causing me to write things I didn't Nintendo.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8422-8721-1910 | My Nintendo: Northwind | Twitter:

Blooper987

@Northwind a game like Joy Mech Fight I assume would be easy to translate though. It would be so awesome if all of these great Nintendo games got translations so modern fans can try out the originals

Blooper987

Switch Friend Code: SW-0772-1845-0995

Northwind

@Blooper987, I've never played that one so I can't comment firsthand, but yeah. I agree that at least non-RPG games shouldn't be that hard to translate. Still, it takes time and effort that Nintendo doesn't seem to want to put in at this moment. Maybe they're right, and the potential gain in sales from doing so would not offset even a relatively minor cost of translating them. I honestly don't have enough information to say one way or the other there.

I actually can read some Japanese. If you were to drop me into rural Japan where nobody spoke any other language, I wouldn't die. But trying to play games in Japanese even for someone with some proficiency in reading the language is not fun, lmao. More translations would certainly be nice.

Autocorrect keeps causing me to write things I didn't Nintendo.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8422-8721-1910 | My Nintendo: Northwind | Twitter:

Giancarlothomaz

@KryptoniteKrunch well when one of the Shareholders of Nintendo asked about the sucessor of Switch, Shiya Takahashi e Shuntaro Furukawa implied there are considering using the Switch format for futures Nintendo consoles.

i like HD Rumble.

Slowdive

Currently playing:

skywake

@Slowdive
Probably the most important bit from today in terms of future hardware is page 47 on here:
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2020/200916e.pdf

Basically, they're saying that their main goal is leveraging new technologies that are "best suited to delivering fun". Like the Switch itself which wouldn't have been possible by just re-purposing old tech (which was their strategy with Wii, DS, 3DS and Wii U). But at the same time they want to avoid any potential negatives with adopting new technologies, citing specifically more complicated configurations that might get in the way or undesirable price-points.

Honestly I don't see Nintendo moving away from Tegra in a hurry.....

Edited on by skywake

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, TFS
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

link3710

Slowdive wrote:

Well, that basically confirms they are at least investigating things like AI upscaling. It's definitely cutting edge, and it shouldn't increase the strain or cost on either developers or consumers. I'm curious what else they might be looking at too.

link3710

Giancarlothomaz

did Nintendo have bugdet to hire a actor like Mark Hamill to voice Ganondorf in Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild 2?

i like HD Rumble.

jump

@Giancarlothomaz why Mark Hamill?

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Zuljaras

I will post it here as well.

My retailer put this on their site for pre-order.

Untitled

Priced at 40$.

I guess it will be a part of the mini direct.

Edited on by Zuljaras

Zuljaras

Giancarlothomaz

@jump i think his acting as the Joker will fit his well as the voice actor of Ganondorf in Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild 2, Mark Hamill know how to voice well a vilain, for Ganondorf in Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild 2, we need a actor who can give him a very imposing voice.

i like HD Rumble.

Giancarlothomaz

@Zuljaras i found it a bit strange that remake de Prince of Persia Sand of Times is priced at $40 istead of the $60, of most major games released on Switch, both ports and new games, both first party and third party games on Switch is priced $60, with the excepcions of the Indies games that is priced up to $20

i like HD Rumble.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic