Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 51,101 to 51,120 of 69,991

Ralizah

@Ryu_Niiyama @JaxonH Eh. Nintendo has absolutely added competitive features to cater to that playstyle over time, and even hosted tournaments. Moreover, there is a huge amount of depth to the mechanics in Smash. The appeal of Smash is that it's a lot of fun no matter which playstyle you opt for, and, unlike proper fighting games, it's pretty darn simple to learn the basic controls.

Although, yeah, it's clearly not a fighting game in the same sense as Street Fighter, BlazBlue, DoA, etc.

Anyway, I do get the excitement when some character somebody is really hoping gets added finally makes the cut. Like... I don't care about Banjo-Kazooie, but I understand why a segment of the Nintendo fanbase was excited about that. But the pretty much perpetual pre-announcement hype for new characters any time an upcoming DLC fighter is announced kind of baffles me. Especially considering how routine it has become for new Smash fighters to be announced these days. It kinda just feels like I'm playing a Smash variant of Mugen at this point.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Accommodation doesn’t mean that’s the main intent and primary targeted audience though. There’s nothing wrong with accommodating the more competitive types, especially if it doesn’t really have any negative consequences. They’re not mutually exclusive. But the game is definitely targeting the casual gamer who just wants to have fun, similar to Mario Kart. Predominantly speaking, of course.

The announcements have certainly lost some luster given the sheer quantity. But they’re still kinda cool. I hope they do a fighter pass 3 and just keep on going all generation long. They’ll never top this game. Ever. Unless they port it and add new characters on top of the base game. Just keep it going. Let’s see if we can top 100 characters by the time this generation is over!

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

TheFrenchiestFry

@Ralizah Ultimate is basically MUGEN for 60 dollars. I personally love it. I just think the important thing here is to soak in the fact that these many characters are together in a single game and actually don't look weird or out of place, because this is probably never happening again in any other fighting game, let alone Smash.

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Grumblevolcano

I'm pretty sure the angle Nintendo took was "Minecraft is the best selling game of all time so putting Steve in Smash will bring Minecraft players that aren't playing on the Switch over to Switch". On another note it's pretty obvious that the trailer we saw yesterday would've been the E3 character reveal had the pandemic not been around.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

TheFrenchiestFry

@Grumblevolcano Minecraft being as big as it is was definitely a factor for sure, but considering some of the other roster choices like Joker, Richter and Cloud, I don't think the idea behind it was to squarely get the Minecraft community into the Switch version, because Minecraft itself is a pretty platform agnostic game and Microsoft doesn't really seem to care where you play it.

I think the general idea was just to have a character in the roster who has major mass market appeal, because that hasn't really been done with the DLC fighters before. Each fighter appeals to specific groups of people, but Minecraft is probably the largest third party IP they could've represented in Smash and would sell on name recongition and iconography alone regardless of platform, just like seeing something like Smash x Persona 5, or Smash x Final Fantasy VII during a trailer, but on a way larger scale because Minecraft is just that much of a phenomenon that everyone and their dog plays

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

porto

Okay.
Picture this.

The next smash reveal starts with fire emblem characters duking it out. And then out of no where an apple hits one of them. The characters turn around to find Crash Bandicoot and Aku-Aku standing there looking all menacing. Could you imagine the hype?

A man can dream

Edited on by porto

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

TheFrenchiestFry

@Giancarlothomaz MUGEN is a fanmade crossover fighting game that features an absurd amount of characters from multiple major franchises spanning all types of media, and not just video games. Its gained notoriety for seemingly having a never ending roster of fighters.

TheFrenchiestFry

JaxonH

Just got Joker and Hero amiibo.

It's pretty cool having these characters as amiibo to display

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Rexenoboy

I still haven't bought a single Amiibo.
If Rex got one, I'd buy dozens of them in a heartbeat though. 😅

Treasure Acquired

JaxonH

TheFrenchiestFry

The Steve Challenger Pack is literally everything I wanted from him in Smash

I couldnt put into words for the longest time how I would do Steve in Smash but Sakurai hit all the nails in the head

TheFrenchiestFry

link3710

@TheFrenchiestFry Steve is easily the most complicated character to implement the Smash team has ever done. Talk about knocking a character out of the park.

link3710

MarioVillager92

@Giancarlothomaz Kind of, yeah. It plays more like Marvel vs. Capcom from what I've seen.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

JaxonH

I'm not into Minecraft but my goodness, Steve looks INSANELY awesome. Sakurai really did this character justice. I'm blown away.

Snatcher

Hey guy killer queen black is on sale for 1.99 I just bought it I have been wanting to bu this game.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic