Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 50,481 to 50,500 of 70,001

BruceCM

Yeah & it's arguably why the successor needs to keep the hybrid nature .... Or just go all handheld! Sorry to those who want a Nintendo home console but they're a lot more likely to give up on that side than on the other

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Solaine

not sure if Nintendo giving up on Home Consoles altogether is really a thing though... that would be a completely unnecessary risk now

"on a scale of 1 to 10, she's an 11, and she'd give herself a 12" ~The Burst, Furi

TheFrenchiestFry

Nintendo giving up completely on dedicated home consoles just because the Switch did well would honestly suck a lot. The Switch being in its own bubble kinda contributes to the general public perception from people in my social circles that the company just really isn't taken that seriously as a competitor anymore compared to Microsoft and Sony, and it doesn't have to be that way. It's partially why I never even bothered to jump into Nintendo home consoles until the Switch came out. The hybrid system is cool but I can't just see it being a thing that is going to stick around for a long time without console fatigue kicking in from my perspective.

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

HobbitGamer

It's enough for me. And that's truthfully the only gamer I'm concerned with.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

TheFrenchiestFry

Hyrule Warriors and 3D All Stars were big enough gets as is, but the tie in to BotW is probably going to bring a crap ton of people into that game

TheFrenchiestFry

BruceCM

I certainly think it's a lot more interesting than the previous HW.... I'll be playing that on release

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Grumblevolcano

3D All Stars seems to be only getting 1 physical stock run judging by all the preorder cancellations. If so it won't factor much into holiday Switch sales.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

@TheFrenchiestFry Can confirm: never actually played more than a few minutes of a Warriors game in my life, but I'm going day one with Age of Calamity.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

TheFrenchiestFry

@Ralizah I did like Hyrule Warriors quite a bit but this is probably more of what I had in mind for a Zelda Musou when I first heard about the Wii U game.

Koei Tecmo's just knocking it out of the park with their crossover musous. If only DW9 was as amazing as this.

TheFrenchiestFry

JaxonH

It’s hard to believe, but Hyrule Warriors (the original) is a last gen title. This new entry is an entire generational leap ahead of its predecessor. It doesn’t feel like it, because Wii U doesn’t feel that long ago. And obviously the game was ported to Switch. But in truth, it WAS like half a decade ago. Wow. Where has the time gone.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

NotTelevision

The last Warriors game I played was on the PS2, but yeah Age of Calamity had an awesome trailer and reveal.

Hopefully the game runs at a consistent frame rate with all the enemies and particle effects on screen.

NotTelevision

rallydefault

@BruceCM
I got my Switch for the multi-platform stuff that I can play on the go. Fingers crossed for Prince of Persia and Crash... eventually.

rallydefault

link3710

@JaxonH We did get Fire Emblem Warriors this gen to see what a Switch Warriors game should be like. But tbh, the game was probably originally intended for Wii U, and had a version on 3DS (which of course tanked but). So this is definitely the first one that's being designed solely for Switch hardware.

That said, I'm not expecting it to run that much better than FEW/HW:DE. Though, portable mode better not try and output 1080p, I can't believe they never patched that on HW:DE.

link3710

JaxonH

@link3710
No, I don’t expect it to run that much better either- Switch is comparable to Wii U in terms of power, it just does it as a handheld device instead of as a home console. But it’s still the case the last entry was an entire generation ago. It’s just crazy to think this follow up is no more frequent than say, Smash Bros, which is also typically one per generation.

I liked FE Warriors much more than Hyrule Warriors, but I’m a huge FE fan. Age of Calamity looks better than both, though. And ya, it’s the first one to not receive a 3DS release.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

rallydefault

@Grumblevolcano
Oh man, are people getting their preorders cancelled? I did mine through Amazon pretty much as soon as it was available, so hopefully I'm ok.

rallydefault

KryptoniteKrunch

Mario 3D pre-order issue seems to be UK only. Here in the States, it's still available at the major stores except Amazon.

KryptoniteKrunch

Nintendo Network ID: KryptoniteKrunch

link3710

@JaxonH The best thing to happen to Hyrule Warriors was them porting over a good chunk of FE:W improvements into the DE release (or maybe they came from 3DS one, I didn't play it). the Switch version and the Wii U version are like night and day, I was highly impressed with how dedicated they were to making a good game better. But yeah, every subsequent Warriors as of late seems to be rather ambitious in terms of improvements, gotta give K-T credit where it's due. Persona 5:S also feels in that vein from what I've seen, and while DW:9 apparently gets a bad rap (I haven't played it), it's very clearly ambitious. For a series that was getting stale, they've been working hard to make it feel worth keeping up with.

link3710

Dezzy

BruceCM wrote:

Yeah & it's arguably why the successor needs to keep the hybrid nature .... Or just go all handheld! Sorry to those who want a Nintendo home console but they're a lot more likely to give up on that side than on the other

I doubt they'd give up either. Why would they give up competing in that space of big screen visual spectacle games when they do so well in it. Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8, Mario Odyssey, are all just as impressive as most of the major Playstation and Xbox franchises, and sell better than nearly all of them.

Something like Breath of the Wild will never be as enjoyable on a small Switch Lite screen, so as long as games like that keep being successful, I think they'll keep making home consoles.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

skywake

link3710 wrote:

Basically, I'm saying the 4K AI Upscaling would be in agreement with their plan so far (which is to focus on making games over graphics), not in contradiction. If an external chip can handle the upscaling, that lets them spend more development time on the game itself, and less on optimizing graphics

Very much this. It's the safest of safe bets if you ask me. I mean it's literally something that's the on-the-box feature of the current Android TV which uses the same SoC as the relatively silently pushed out Switch revisions that are already on shelves. In theory if you walked into shops today and brought a Switch off the shelf? It could do this already. This is something that would basically cost Nintendo nothing to include in a next revision.

Anyways, I'm not sure why people are so drawn in on the idea of Nintendo somehow having to respond to Playstation/XBox anyways. Nintendo is doing just fine. Relatively speaking and globally Microsoft is and always has been the third wheel in this three cornered contest, if people should be giving armchair analyst advice to someone it should really be them not Nintendo.

To be blunt, Nintendo behaves as if they don't care about the contest. And that's generally because they often have no reason to care about the contest. The Switch, Wii and DS were not hits because they "beat Sony". They were hits in their own right because they targeted a different audience or solved a different use case

Untitled

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic