Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 50,501 to 50,520 of 69,963

Dezzy

skywake wrote:

The Switch, Wii and DS were not hits because they "beat Sony". They were hits in their own right because they targeted a different audience or solved a different use case

I really don't think the Switch is in the same category as the Wii and DS. The Wii especially really did have a completely different audience. I knew so many families where the person who bought the console was like a 40 year old mother who thought it'd be good for family occasions.
The Switch isn't like that at all. The Switch audience is far closer to the Playstation/Xbox/Steam audience, based on my own anecdotal data.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

BruceCM

Game hasn't cancelled my 3D All-Stars & it seemed everyone who had that email was from Base .... It's available on Nintendo's own store, too

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

skywake

Dezzy wrote:

skywake wrote:

The Switch, Wii and DS were not hits because they "beat Sony". They were hits in their own right because they targeted a different audience or solved a different use case

I really don't think the Switch is in the same category as the Wii and DS. The Wii especially really did have a completely different audience. [...] The Switch isn't like that at all. The Switch audience is far closer to the Playstation/Xbox/Steam audience, based on my own anecdotal data.

I did say different audience or different use case, I agree the Switch definitely fits more into the latter than the Wii did. I don't think the Switch is necessarily winning over the 40+ group like the Wii did, the Switch's target demographic is very much where all the consoles are. I don't see the Switch appearing in nursing homes for example. But it does definitely solve a very different problem than Sony and Microsoft are trying to.

I mean, I probably have a skewed view of the overall market because most of the people I know are either PC guys or not gamers at all. But amongst them the Switch is fairly popular, more than the Wii U and even 3DS were. If I could summarise why in three games it would be Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and Ring Fit Adventure. Those are the killer apps. And you know what's great about all three? The PS5 having better visuals isn't a threat.

edit: I'm simplifying it a lot saying just those three games. What I'm basically saying is that nobody is buying the Switch now for its high end visuals so some other product coming out with even higher end visuals doesn't change the equation.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

jump

@BruceCM Base could just be the first retailer to start cancelling their preorders, say if it’s Game or whoever and they got told of their short allocation at 4.30pm on a Friday they probably wait til Monday rather working late to do something about it.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

BruceCM

Possibly but if I get any such email from Game, I'll post that here .... Are they having similar problems with the American places that are doing the physical releases?

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

JaxonH

@skywake
Love that graph. As someone who makes equations and graphs all the time for situations I encounter (I'm practicing Lagrange Multipliers and gradients for fun today in my spare time at work as much as I'm playing Switch), I have a special appreciation for those who use math and graphs to illustrate.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Giancarlothomaz

not everyone will understand the jokes and puns of Paper Mario:The Origami King and with me even be fluent at english, i still have not understand some Fish jokes in Animal Crossing New Horizons , what the heck is of course Horse Mackerel... is suposed to mean?

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

neogyo

@Giancarlothomaz haha I don’t blame you,, that one is a reference to the oldddd tv show Mr Ed about a talking horse!

nintendo is good for the soul

Tangerine

It just rhymes. Some of the 'jokes' hit better than others Not many hits at all really though!

Edit: Ah well evidently that joke flew over my head!

Edited on by Tangerine

Tangerine

TheFrenchiestFry

@link3710 I expect it to be a notch up visually but in terms of performance it'll probably be around the same ballpark, but will definitely be upheld by the art direction much like Fire Emblem Warriors. It's also technically the first Musou title we've had that was designed specifically with Switch hardware in mind given FEW was also released on New 3DS, the last Hyrule Warriors was a port of the Wii U version with the content from the 3DS version and Persona 5 Scramble is also releasing on PS4.

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Dezzy

skywake wrote:

edit: I'm simplifying it a lot saying just those three games. What I'm basically saying is that nobody is buying the Switch now for its high end visuals so some other product coming out with even higher end visuals doesn't change the equation.

Well yeah but I don't really buy PS or Xbox for the high end visuals either. That's just a nice bonus. I mostly buy them so I can play the latest AAA games, both first and third party. (I've said on several occasions that I'd have no complaints if they decided to make a console generation last 15 years) In that respect there's definitely a huge overlap between the audiences because there's plenty of overlap between the types of games on offer.

Ratchet & Clank is competing with 3D Mario. Xenoblade is competing with Final Fantasy. Astral Chain is competing with Devil May Cry. Breath of the Wild is competing with Horizon Zero Dawn.

The fact that I never got round to Horizon Zero Dawn is absolutely because I was spending all my "gaming time" playing Breath of the Wild at the point when it came out (and by the time I'd finished, something else new had grabbed my attention).

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Grumblevolcano

I've been thinking, how would you get around the motion controls in Prime 3 if Prime Trilogy came to Switch. 1 and 2 would be very easy, you'd just revert back to GC controls.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano Probably just do what they’ve done with Galaxy and make you use joy cons. I think it’ll depend how much effort Nintendo seems to want to invest, but judging by the Mario Collection, could see it being pretty minimal.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Grumblevolcano

@FragRed I recall someone in the 3D All Stars thread saying Joy-Cons are only required for the 2 player mode in Galaxy. Spin is "Y" and I'd guess the pointer is gyro when using pro controller.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano Is this officially confirmed because Nintendo are so bad at just getting across such basic things sometimes that should be known from the get go really boggles my mind.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

link3710

@Grumblevolcano I mean, I think you could just adjust the majority of the game to work with GC style controls easily. The little motion minigames would have to be reworked, but everything else should be able to use buttons.

link3710

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
Dual analog with gyro, the go-to control scheme for Switch games that involve aiming.

It’ll require reworking the controls to utilize right analog and gyro for turning camera/aiming, but that’s the whole point of remastering, and it’s something they’d do for the first two games anyways. That way all 3 use right analog with gyro.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic