Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 44,581 to 44,600 of 69,981

jump

Magician wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

BlueBlur101 wrote:

@GrumblevolcanoGOTY is totally going to Death Stranding anyway calling it

Because Kojima

This is a dumb call, its not even that level of critically acclaimed. Metacritic literally says its the 26th best rated PS4 game of this year. There are 25 games released in 2019 that scored better than it on just one console.

We're talking about an award show that gave Madden 2004 the GotY award.

Anything is possible.

Edit: P.S. - Madden was awarded rather than GTA: San Andreas, Halo 2, Zelda: WW, Tony Hawk's Underground, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, etc.

That didn't sound right to me as I thought San Andreas won and after checking you're getting your years mixed up. Madden beat GTA Vice City that year and San Andreas won it the year after.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

redd214

@Magician to be fair that was when it was still on Spike TV which was basically the "dudebro channel" so that should hardly be a surprise. It's really a completely different thing now despite the same name.

That being said I do think GOTY will go to Death Stranding. Having played it I would absolutely say there have been better/more enjoyable games released in 2019, but for that particular award I don't see anything outside of Smash that could top it. It's all highly subjective anyways so not a big deal.

Edited on by redd214

redd214

Heavyarms55

I don't bother predicting GOTY awards because it basically never goes the way I would vote. If I were to pick my favorite game of the year, it would be Fire Emblem Three Houses.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Magician

redd214 wrote:

@Magician to be fair that was when it was still on Spike TV which was basically the "dudebro channel" so that should hardly be a surprise. It's really a completely different thing now despite the same name.

It was a Geoff Keighley production then, and it continues to be the same product today. The only thing that has changed is the sponsorship funding the event. The irrelevancy of the event still remains, despite how much Geoff Keighley clearly believes in presenting this hobby as an art form. So I'm sure I'm not alone in treating the event as I do; tune in for the world premieres, maybe appreciate the attention the event brings to various aspects of the industry, all while tuning out the award winners.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Ralizah

I've never really understood the award show format in the first place. Games/movies/books/etc. that are niche and not aimed at a mass market audience are almost always snubbed. It's not like audiences broadly respect the opinions of professional critics. Modern critics aren't trendsetters in almost any more artistic industry.

Award shows driven by critical consensus are irrelevant and often out of touch with the broader audience, and award shows driven by viewer participation measure the broad popularity of a product and nothing else.

So, yeah, I watch award shows like the Game Awards for the surprise trailers and nothing else.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

jump

Ralizah wrote:

I've never really understood the award show format in the first place. Games/movies/books/etc. that are niche and not aimed at a mass market audience are almost always snubbed. It's not like audiences broadly respect the opinions of professional critics. Modern critics aren't trendsetters in almost any more artistic industry.

Award shows driven by critical consensus are irrelevant and often out of touch with the broader audience, and award shows driven by viewer participation measure the broad popularity of a product and nothing else.

So, yeah, I watch award shows like the Game Awards for the surprise trailers and nothing else.

I do agree with what you're saying but in fairness Celeste got nominated last year for the big GOTY along with the likes of Red Dead Redemption 2 and God Of War so there is hope it's not just for the AAA games. The are other categories for the more niche stuff too.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Grumblevolcano

I watch the Game Awards for the game/DLC reveals and the Nintendo Life chat. The Nintendo Life chat helps the boring parts become more fun as perfectly shown by Nintendo E3 2018.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Magician

redd214 wrote:

@Magician cool, well I hope there's something you enjoy thus year

I don't doubt there'll be one or two games that grab my attention. But considering Sony, MS, and major third party publishers are focusing on development for the next generation of platforms I assume this year's Game Awards will be a little short on new game announcements. A trailer for Shin Megami Tensei V from Atlus would be nice. But that's probably just wishful thinking.

Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

HobbitGamer

Grumblevolcano wrote:

I watch the Game Awards for the game/DLC reveals and the Nintendo Life chat. The Nintendo Life chat helps the boring parts become more fun as perfectly shown by Nintendo E3 2018.

I saw my pineapple symbol in the sky. When is the Chat?

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

link3710

The Game Awards themselves are awful. I'll still watch (with the NLife chat of course), but just to see what gets announced.

link3710

jump

I reckon Bayonetta 3 trailer could be shown. It was initially announced there, it must be at the stage where it's showable at least and Astral Chain will get a nod in action game at least so it will be chance to promote them both at the same time.

Nicolai wrote:

redd214

@Magician Forgot about that game, wasn't it announced at the switch reveal?! Not my cup of tea but hope it comes soon for ya!

redd214

Ralizah

SMT V will probably be shown off at some sort of Japanese event. It's a big exclusive, but not a mass-market one that you'd aim at a crowd at a reasonably mainstream event.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Magician

You know what grinds my gears? Retailers listing items priced over their msrp and labelling that price as an item that's "on discount". I'm looking at you Play-Asia. $150 for either the Link's Awakening collector edition or the Astral Chain collector edition is not a discount.

Dezzy

Ralizah wrote:

It's not like audiences broadly respect the opinions of professional critics. Modern critics aren't trendsetters in almost any more artistic industry.

The games industry isn't Hollywood. The Game Awards have been very good at matching the general audience opinion. Here are the GotY for the last 10 years. There's not much difference between this and the hypothetical audience vote in my opinion. Maybe 1 or 2 differences. This definitely isn't equivalent to the insane kind of disconnect you see at the Oscars though, where they've basically detached themselves entirely from audience popularity.

2009 Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
2010 Red Dead Redemption
2011 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim360
2012 The Walking Dead
2013 Grand Theft Auto V
2014 Dragon Age: Inquisition
2015 The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
2016 Overwatch
2017 The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2018 God of War

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

SuperSpaghetti

It really didn’t deserve it over RDR2. Speaking of, I would love the original RDR or Revolver on Switch.

Future games collector

kkslider5552000

Magician wrote:

It was a Geoff Keighley production then, and it continues to be the same product today. The only thing that has changed is the sponsorship funding the event.

As someone who doesn't even particularly like the Game Awards, it could not hope to compete with the sheer level of awful of the Spike TV game awards. At least now they pretend to care, Spike TV did not give a ****. It's like the poor man's version of whatever the poor man's version of the MTV VMAs would be. You could make your own version of the Razzies for worst Spike TV game award moments, and some bad stuff wouldn't even be nominated.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Alstil

Just wanted to chime in and say that the special edition Pokémon Switch Lite is really nice. I exchanged my Turquoise Lite for it today.

I liked the Turquoise but the uniqueness wore off after a while and I just preferred something more classic looking. The Pokémon version looks like an old Nintendo console with the grey and subtle touches. I feel it will draw less attention as well.

I’m glad that Nintendo went colourful with the Lite but their choices were a bit off the mark for me.

Alstil

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic