Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 44,561 to 44,580 of 69,981

TheFrenchiestFry

@link3710 "So P5S is a sequel but we aren't going to get the predecessor first?"

Xbox 360 owners who only got Persona 4 Arena: "First time?"

This is just the way of Atlus as a company. You'll have to bear with it and get a PS4, Vita or PS5 if you want to get into Persona properly

@Ralizah
I hope they don't abandon the hybrid system model for a while but I'm not opposed to a new traditional, no frills home console if they actually become technically competitive again and pump the next console with specs that actually meet the generation's threshold, or are at least very close to it, so the third party support will be even more welcoming than the Switch, which has been recieving technically demanding games, but going into next gen its support is a major concern of mine considering the power gap between Switch and the other platforms, which was already sizeable to begin with

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

JaxonH

What’s the point of a more powerful home console with “specs that meet the generations threshold”? Let’s say they do that. Ok. And let’s even say it gets all the third-party support. As much as Xbox.

Ok.

What has that accomplished and how does that benefit me?

It doesn’t. I can already play those games on a powerful console. Having all the 3rd party support on a powerful console offers zero value to me as a consumer, and I’m willing to bet it offers very little value to most other people as well. Then there will be four separate platforms that all do the exact same thing, and the people who are already playing on other powerful systems aren’t going to magically switch sides. The online will still be worse. And with that Fanbase they just go with what they know. They’ve been playing on Xbox for 10 years they’re not going to magically buy a Nintendo console. Same for Sony gamers. Not as a replacement for what they usually buy. The only way they would buy a Nintendo system is as a supplementary device and nobody’s going to buy a supplementary device that offers nothing of value over their current device. The only thing it would offer other gamers is Nintendo exclusives, and we all see how well that turned out with Wii U.

There’s no point in having all the third-party support in the world if it’s not offering anything we don’t already have access to right now.

Hybrid or bust.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

rallydefault

I think they'll try to split the Switch line into three - the hybrid, handheld, and home console. For anyone who thinks that's a lot, well, they already have TWO of those branches on the market lol I don't see what's stopping them from reaching out to people like me with a "pro" model; it could be really crazy and not even be a dockable Switch but literally just a brick console. If they go this route, they also retain the ability to have consumers double dip (or jackpot) tripe dip on hardware. I bet some of you have done so already: hands up if you own a Switch AND a Switch Lite. It's really not as ridiculous as it seems (though as always, for the record, I think the Lite is ridiculous lol).

The real challenge will be to develop games that can run on all of those SKUs if the home console has anything in the realm of significantly more power. But the way I see it, tech has reached a certain level across the board that, feasibly, most games can run on most tech. The Witcher III but perhaps something like DOOM Eternal moreso shows this. Also, there has been a big push (helped by indies) toward more stylistic games that aren't necessarily graphics intensive but are every bit as deep, challenging, and involved as graphics-demanding games.

When you think about it, developers on PC have been doing that sort of thing for decades: deving games that can run on a veritable infinite range of hardware specs. I remember always reading stuff about Blizzard, in particular, saying they dev their games with high and low-end PC builds in mind.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

BruceCM

Really, the reason to get a Nintendo console is for their exclusive games, @BlueBlur101 Just about everybody here, even, has at least one other platform as well
Since I play entirely at home, I should want them to do a home console to compete with PS & XBox but I think that's highly unlikely

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

TheFrenchiestFry

@JaxonH I'm not really saying that

I'm thinking of the people who for example can only afford to buy one platform. Not everyone is going to have two or three different consoles and a gaming PC set up for these games

I'd at least like to see Nintendo's library of games retain parity with PS5 and Xbox Scarlett for those who have no interest or simply can't invest in a second platform. Nintendo's platform will then have further benefits with the immense first party library of quality exclusives

That and the Switch is probably going to struggle quite a bit considering it's going to be CONSIDERABLY less powerful than the PS5 and Xbox Scarlett, meaning it'll definitely miss out on a bunch of next gen experiences like Cyberpunk 2077, Starfield, Elder Scrolls VI and FFVII Remake

It's ok to accept a home console going forward for me personally. I don't really care about the hybrid aspect since I don't really take advantage of that whatsoever because I almost exclusively play my Switch in handheld mode in every game except Smash and Splatoon

I also value third party support JUST AS MUCH as first party. The truth is that third party is just as important if not arguably more than the exclusive lineup. Not everyone is going to have two or three consoles. Some of them just want a Nintendo system and reject or can't afford anything else, so it would be nice if for once, a post-GameCube Nintendo system had third party support that had perfect parity with Sony and Microsoft's offerings. It would be nice if Nintendo actually made a powerful system in a day and age where more graphically demanding games are beginning to become the norm AAA wise.

You have to stop and consider other people will not be as privilleged as yourself, and won't have access to multiple systems at the same time. Some people just want one console in their household for all of their gaming needs, and I feel it's important that future Nintendo consoles more effectively satiate that.

TheFrenchiestFry

JaxonH

@BlueBlur101
Ok, granted, it may appeal to people who can only afford one console but who’s to say those people wouldn’t rather play the Sony exclusives than the Nintendo ones. And most people who don’t identify as a Nintendo gamer would likely not buy Nintendo as their only console, even if it did get all the third-party games.

I don’t think everyone needs three different consoles and PC. Just one hybrid and one power console- take your pick- Xbox Ones can be had for $150 during Christmas sales.

I don’t think Switch is going to struggle one single bit. It’s already missing a lot of the big games- next gen isn’t changing anything- that’s already the case right now. 3DS didn’t struggle and there was like 3 gen power gap between it and PS4. And there’s still a wealth of 7th gen exclusives that can be ported, not to mention not every game is a graphical powerhouse so there will still be plenty of current gen games that can go multiplat, and most importantly it could sell off its back catalog alone for the rest of the generation and do just fine.

I value 3rd party just as much also... but the only reason I value 3rd party support on Nintendo is because it brings additional value to the table- The ability to play those games anywhere. Simply having third-party support on a home console brings no value, because we could all already do that. For the same reason buying an Xbox offers little value over a PS4 because you could already play all those games, on a power console on a tv.

I mean, just because a few people can’t fork over an extra 150 bucks for a power console doesn’t mean 100 million people should forfeit the one platform that offers portable gaming, just so they can get a few extra third-party games restricted to the television on one system. This isn't an a welfare state. There’s always going to be people less privileged and they’ll just have to make do with less. As I did when I couldn’t afford things when I was younger.

If they can manage to pull it off while retaining hybrid functionality, I’m all for it. But I’m definitely not in favor of forfeiting the best idea in the history of video games in the last 30 years just because a few less fortunate people want to play all their TV only games on one power box when they already have three different choices to do that. If they’re playing video games then they’ve got extra money to blow on a hobby, which means they can come up with the extra 200 bucks for a Switch Lite, or an extra $150 for a X1/PS4 at Christmas. Pass on 3 games, and there ya go. And if they can’t, well... dems da breaks.

@BruceCM
If that were true Wii U would have been a smashing success, as it had plenty of great exclusive games. The old mantra of “you only buy a Nintendo system for their exclusive games” just doesn’t hold any merit. The reason Switch is doing so well is partly because of their games but mostly because you can play them anywhere.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@rallydefault
I’m all for that. I think that’s the best solution possible for everyone. I know I’d be interested in a console only version of Switch that maybe had a bit more power, but played all the same games. Three different SKUs appeals to the three different markets. It’s a perfectly logical approach. And you can just bounce your save data back-and-forth over the cloud like I already do now with Switch Lite.

It wouldn’t be a huge leap, still well below current gen, but it could allow for a more “pro” version that irons out dynamic res drops, framerates, where games run and look a little bit better, and avoiding the high cost conundrum. By cutting out the portability aspect, the extra cost of the more powerful hardware would be eliminated. I know I’d triple dip.

But, where would that leave the hybrid Switch? Lite for on the go, Pro for on the tv... at least for me that would eliminate the hybrid switch almost entirely from my gaming regimen. But that’s OK because it still accomplishing the same thing: you can play your games at home and you can take them with you.

Edited on by JaxonH

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH Not really about the reply to @BruceCM, Wii U didn't get a decent exclusives lineup until about a year and a half into its lifecycle. Wii U port sales on Switch is better proof that the console itself means as much as the exclusives.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
Which means sales should’ve picked up a year and a half into its lifecycle. But they didn’t. People can say all the stuff about consumers being confused, but at the end of the day it was indifference because nobody’s willing to shell out for a console that only offers a handful of extra games to play over what they already have with no added advantage (and as cool as dual screen was for a few key games, ultimately it proved to be more hassle than anything else). If Wii U isn’t proof enough, look at GameCube.

With Switch it’s different, because you’re also getting the hybrid advantage, not just for the exclusive games but a wide array of third-party as well.

So yes, I agree completely, the console is just as important. This is why Nintendo’s handhelds have thrived for decades while their home consoles have struggled. You have to offer the consumer something more than just your exclusive games, which are the only advantage over other systems when you’re taking the straight laced power console approach. Portability, irrespective of 3rd party, always sells (see 3DS, which aside from RE Revelations and Monster Hunter got practically no AAA 3rd party games), because there’s a market for it. If Nintendo sticks with the hybrid concept they will see sustained growth for decades to come. If they abandon the portability aspect of their devices, they very well could jeopardize their place in the market full stop.

Edited on by JaxonH

TheFrenchiestFry

@JaxonH I doubt if they went back to pure home consoles their place in the gaming market would be JEOPARDIZED

Like it definitely wouldn't turn Nintendo into the next SEGA and they start releasing Mario games on the Xbox One, it would feel really jarring seeing as how the hybrid aspect appeals to so many people. As someone going into uni next year I'd definitely keep my Switch around while commuting to campus on a train or subway system

TheFrenchiestFry

Magician

I'm more interested in knowing if my current Switch collection will be compatible with Nintendo's next platform. The question of if that platform is a home console, a portable device, or another hybrid is inconsequential to me.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Grumblevolcano

Well if the successor was just a home console it would almost certainly be a disc based system hence no compatibility with Switch. Switch is only a cart system because it has handheld functionality.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

It almost certainly won’t be a straight home console. Not writing anything off completely but, that really would be counterintuitive on their part to either ditch the hybrid concept or split their development between two systems again after merging divisions. If they do, I’m almost certain it would be for a handheld- which they’ve always thrived making. But in truth, it’s all kind of moot as the most likely outcome will be to stick with the hybrid concept, and I actually do think it will be backwards compatible. But that’s a ways down the road. Years away still.

Here’s a great video/review of New Super Lucky’s Tale btw.

Edited on by JaxonH

link3710

@BlueBlur101 I actually do have a PS4 now... I just... have trouble sitting down to play it. I want to finish Spiderman before I even think about touching Persona (plus, I'm going to play the enhanced edition which I don't think is out yet.). But yeah, Atlas is confounding to say the least.

As for this whole Hybrid based discussion, I'd like to point out who the new president of Nintendo is. Furukawa (from what I've read), doesn't seem like the type who will push out a system that ditches the hybrid feature without seeing something REALLY appealing to replace it.

link3710

Grumblevolcano

If the usual timing happens, we'll likely be getting the Game Awards nominees in a few days. It'll be interesting to see how well Smash Ultimate and Nintendo's 2019 lineup does (Smash Ultimate wasn't eligible last year so it's eligible this year).

Grumblevolcano

TheFrenchiestFry

@Grumblevolcano GOTY is totally going to Death Stranding anyway calling it

Because Kojima

TheFrenchiestFry

kkslider5552000

BlueBlur101 wrote:

GOTY is totally going to Death Stranding anyway calling it

Because Kojima

This is a dumb call, its not even that level of critically acclaimed. Metacritic literally says its the 26th best rated PS4 game of this year. There are 25 games released in 2019 that scored better than it on just one console.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Grumblevolcano

If any Switch exclusives are being nominated for GotY at the Game Awards, I'd guess Astral Chain or Fire Emblem. If the latter, I could see Nintendo revealing the story DLC there.

Grumblevolcano

Magician

kkslider5552000 wrote:

BlueBlur101 wrote:

@GrumblevolcanoGOTY is totally going to Death Stranding anyway calling it

Because Kojima

This is a dumb call, its not even that level of critically acclaimed. Metacritic literally says its the 26th best rated PS4 game of this year. There are 25 games released in 2019 that scored better than it on just one console.

We're talking about an award show that gave Madden 2004 the GotY award.

Anything is possible.

Edit: P.S. - Madden was awarded rather than GTA: San Andreas, Halo 2, Zelda: WW, Tony Hawk's Underground, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, etc.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Octane

@kkslider5552000 I don't think DS will get the GOTY award, but I'm sure Keighley has reserved a special award for DS, because he's practically married to Kojima, but in a weird one-way relationship.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic