Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 44,541 to 44,560 of 70,031

rallydefault

@JaxonH
Yea, the DLC seems kinda dumb right now. It reminds me of the first wave of BotW DLC except even worse lol

rallydefault

JaxonH

@rallydefault
Biggest additions thus far have been new difficulty, recruiting Anna and [censored] from Crimson Flower Path, Sauna activity, 25 save slots, Holy Tomb with new Sothis Shield, paralogs and evening gown outfit for female Byleth (she needed a better alternative). And wearing the alt outfits from the monestery into battle. Of course there’s a whole bunch of other costumes but that’s the one I felt was the least out of place and could actually pass for a legit alt professor outfit.

Oh, and a DLC item pack you can grab in your room with 4 very girthy stat items, like +7 HP, +3 Str, etc.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

IceClimbers

Played the New Super Lucky's Tale demo. It's pretty good. Looks like a solid, enjoyable 8/10 game.

I enjoy a good 3D platformer so it's definitely one I'll pick up eventually.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

JaxonH

Daemon X Machina is really fun if you’re a gyro aficionado like myself. The Gyro makes the game a blast to play. If you’re not a fan of Gyro it’s probably deserving of the scores it got. Make your decision accordingly.

Final Fantasy X/X-2 and Final Fantasy XII are both $25 on Amazon US btw. The deals are rolling in.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ralizah

@JaxonH Nice. I'll admit I have little to no interest in this game currently, but if it's as good as you say, I'll definitely try out the demo and see if it resonates with me. There's nothing quite like a satisfying 3D platformer.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

BruceCM

For those of us in UK, FFX/X2, XII & Daemon X Machina are £30 on Amazon UK, too....

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

gcunit

I was on the lookout for Super Lucky's Tale a while back for my Xbox. I'd heard it hadn't been received brilliantly, but it always looked like it was worth taking a chance on, and it's launched at a decent price in the UK for physical so I think I will get it at some point.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

TheFrenchiestFry

Has anyone's opinion on Persona 5 Scramble changed after proper gameplay with the full HUD and story details were shown in late October

I for one, as someone who's played vanilla P5 am really surprised at the attention to detail on display
It looks like Omega Force honestly wanted to just make a direct sequel to Persona 5 but with their signature Musou style gameplay, mixed with mainline Persona's turn based elements

Even story wise it's confirmed to be canonically taking place 6 months after vanilla P5's story ends

It looks so much better now than the short glimpse we got back in April
I'd honestly take this over vanilla Persona 5 being ported to Switch since I already own a PS4 for Royal

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Ralizah

@BlueBlur101 P5S looks amazing. I've never actually played a musou game before, but I'll be making an exception for this. It'll be nice having the Switch version as a portable option. Too bad it'll probably be the closest thing we ever get a portable version of Persona 5.

TheFrenchiestFry

@Ralizah I mean this isn't the first time a Persona sequel inherited a completely different gameplay style to the mainline predecessor, but I'd say this seems like a more thematic and proper sequel gameplay wise when compared to something like Persona 4 Arena or Arena Ultimax

I'm already a loyal PlayStation customer myself when it comes to consoles so I'm not too bothered that Persona is basically kept there. It's Atlus' decision at the end of the day but I do feel bad for the people who only own a Switch or just can't afford another platform

Either way it looks really solid
If it comes to the West in 2020 as well that'll just add to the sheer amount of RPGs I have to play both Western and Japanese wise that year

TheFrenchiestFry

Ralizah

@BlueBlur101 The decision only bothers me insofar as Sony has completely abandoned the development of portable hardware after the PS Vita. It's not surprising, though, which is why I tried to warn people. Atlus is weirdly consistent about their games being exclusive to certain ecosystems. There's a reason SMT never showed up on Sony systems after the jump to Nintendo, and, for whatever reason, they're intent on keeping mainline Persona a Sony-exclusive property.

Based on what I've heard about Royal, it doesn't sound like something worth paying full price for again. Scramble will be a day one purchase, though.

Edited on by Ralizah

TheFrenchiestFry

@Ralizah Actually correction: Shin Megami Tensei began on Nintendo systems, and THEN jumped to Sony when PlayStation 1 and 2 became the more lucrative platforms and then JUMPED back to Nintendo when the 3DS really took off

It seems like that they favor the more popular platforms, and the PS4 was both popular, and kept a large majority of the fanbase they established from Persona on previous PS systems together

Scramble might just be a testing of the waters considering how popular the Switch has become, and how they actually surveyed people on future Persona content, including ports to other platforms and even gauging interest in Persona 6 on Switch or Persona 3 and 4 remakes

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

@Snaplocket The PSVita was how I got into Persona in general after completing P3P on my PSP, because then I downloaded all the Persona PSP games including the remakes, in addition to buying 4 Golden so I obviously owe a lot to it and think it is SUPER underrated

people slept on that console
So many good first party games and the third party offerings like P4G and Danganronpa 1 and 2 were so solid

TheFrenchiestFry

JaxonH

Persona 5 Scramble looks incredible. Literally everyone’s opinion changed after seeing the trailer.

It does bother me that Persona 5 isn’t on Switch. Not because I can’t play it. I have played it. I own the special edition for it. The problem is the series used to be on portable platforms, but now that Vita is dead we have no alternative. I mean, we do- Switch. And that’s why the game should be on the system. I couldn’t get past 10 hours in the game before losing interest, but I would actually finish playing it if I had a portable option.

I still believe we will potentially see the game on Switch. I just think Atlus is slow in everything they do, especially with HD development (hence SMTV still being MIA, hence Tokyo Mirage Sessions taking so long to release on Wii U, hence so few games releasing despite the onslaught of 3DS titles), and they’re very risk averse. Took them so long that by the time Catherine port actually released, the Vita was dead and buried and they decided to not even release it in the west. They’re very slow. It could be the end of the generation before we see it. But I do think after Royal dlc releases, sometime this gen, we’ll see Persona 5 on Switch. It may not happen, but I think there’s a good chance it will. I think they just didn’t have any good alternative platforms to release the series on before, which was the tipping point for deciding eh, may as well make it exclusive. Only once they feel 100% safe there’s a market for it will they port it. People are free to disagree. Maybe I’m right. Maybe I’m wrong. But that’s my belief, and until the generation is over and we still don’t see it will I be convinced otherwise. I also think SMTV will go to PS. I think that series moved to Nintendo due to low sales, but after P5 success they’ll want to go multiplat. I think both series are going to ultimately make the swap.

But if they don’t, oh well. It’s not the end of the world to have one game not on the Switch. And we do get SMTV, which will be just as good. And we do get Persona 5 Scramble, which looks pretty dang good itself. And we do get Tokyo Mirage Sessions, which is a solid game as well. And it’s not gonna kill me to finish playing one game on the TV-only if I ever want to go back to P5.

@Ralizah
Ya, free demo, why not.

I don’t think it’s incredible or mind blowing or anything, but it’s good. It’s really good. A solid 3D platformer. Something that’s incredibly rare to find nowadays outside of Mario.

Edited on by JaxonH

Ralizah

@Snaplocket It's telling about how well-supported pretty much all PS consoles have been that even the unwanted mutant baby that Sony threw off a cliff after a year or two still saw support from smaller developers and developed a sort of cult following in the gaming community. Actually, the thing is STILL seeing some semi-notable releases, meaning it has outlasted the 3DS, even.

@JaxonH Yeah, Nintendo fans probably don't remember just how long it took Atlus to develop and release Persona 5 after initially announcing it. They're a small developer that primarily works with older hardware they know well, which is why P5 was developed and released as a PS3 game in 2016.

They almost never disappoint, though, so I'm not worried. SMT V will be incredible. As usual, it was just announced much too early.

Edited on by Ralizah

link3710

@Ralizah To be fair, for the longest time Vita did offer the only way for many games to be playable portably, which is probably the only reason it had the support it did. The Switch's release certainly seemed to have done a number on how many games release on it.

Great, so P5S is a sequel? But we aren't going to get the predecessor first... gah, not sure what to think about that.

link3710

JaxonH

@Ralizah @Snaplocket
When I bought my Vita in 2012, I had no problem moving over from 3DS. I was playing Unit 13, Wipeout, Assassins Creed 3 Liberation and Uncharted Golden Abyss. It felt great to graduate to a slicker, more capable handheld which (at least at the time) seemed as if it would have a better library of games.

Unfortunately, like the Wii U, it fell off about 2 years later. Wii U still got some heavy hitters from Nintendo but Vita support just dried up. There were still a few 3rd party stragglers but, man it got barren quick. I look at my Vita Collection, and the vast majority is from those first couple years (kinda like Wii U with 3rd party games- they’re opposites yet nearly identical).

The cult following is because up until Switch, it was the slickest handheld available. The library wasn’t as good as 3DS but you could mod it and do all kinds of cool stuff with it. Use normal microSD, etc. typically Nintendo fans move on to the next system immediately, but then again that’s because most of their ideas haven’t stood the test of time. With Switch, I think we’re going to see a similar effect. Wii and Wii U... people were ready for something different. But unless they follow up with a hybrid successor (and I truly hope they do) there’s going to be a lingering base of diehards that continue playing switch for years to come even after its successor releases.

I’ll be one of them. The hybrid concept is too good to abandon. If Nintendo insists on reinventing the wheel for the sake of “surprise and delight“, I’ll buy their new system (always do), but if it can’t do both handheld and console, I can guarantee you I’ll be playing Switch for years after the fact... decades even. Potentially the rest of my life.

Ralizah

@JaxonH There's zero reason for Nintendo to abandon the hybrid model. It allows them to sell well with at least two demographics at once (home console gamers as well as people who typically only play on handheld systems). Their home consoles have been on a downward sales trend for generations, aside from the Wii (and, if you consider it one, the Switch). Being a hybrid clearly isn't keeping Nintendo from also developing dedicated handheld models of the hardware, and having the revisions succeed.

The hybrid concept is gold. THIS is the winning concept they've been searching for all this time. If they go away from it and try something gimmicky that nobody wants, then they're the dumbest company on the planet and deserve to fail.

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Oh I agree 100%, but... you know Nintendo.

Part of me thinks they’ll stick with it. I mean, yes they’ve always done something different. At least, ever since the end of the Yaumauchi era. Dual screen handheld, glasses free 3D, motion controllers for the masses, screen on the controller, hybrid system... but they’ve nowhere else to go now. What else can they do?

Whatever it is, let’s assume it’s not hybrid. Ok, so it’s either TV only or handheld only. If it’s tv only, are they really willing to risk jumping back into the home console market given their past sales trends against the competition? Doubtful. If it’s handheld only, are they really willing to abandon the appeal of a hybrid system when all it would require is a simple dock? Do they really think that’s their best move? Doubtful.

The only logical conclusion is to stick with hybrids. But at the same time have you ever known Nintendo to just release a more powerful version of the previous system, slap a 2 on it, and use the “mo power, mo features” as a selling point? Me neither. So whatever they do, it’s unlikely they simply release a more powerful Switch 2 (even if that’s their best course of action, and I do believe, as I know you do, that is their best course of action). At the bare minimum they’re going to include some kind of gimmick or hook. What that looks like, I have no idea. Modular parts? Maybe. VR? Eh, I think they’ve realized that ship has sailed and will remain niche. A revolution of the concept of the controller? They did say they were looking to find a solution everyone likes to replace the modern controller, which they do not believe is the most ideal input method (which, I agree, though using gyro in combination with current controllers comes as close as we’ll realistically get imo). Granted, they did say that so far, they haven’t yet found it and that the current controller set up is the best we have. So it seems they’re not quite ready to make a disruptive change.

All logical deduction points to the golden goose hybrid concept but... you can’t predict the unpredictable. And Nintendo is most certainly that.

Edited on by JaxonH

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic