Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 44,501 to 44,520 of 69,981

Dezzy

Lol so I bought some of the generic 'made somewhere in China' unofficial joycons, because the drift in my left joycon was annoying.

All of the online reviews suggest they work completely fine. So this might be the first time in Nintendo history that it's better not to buy the official version of something. They definitely use a different analog stick, so I assume they're probably immune from drift.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Haruki_NLI

@Dezzy No analog stick so long as it has mechanical parts is immune to failure.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Dezzy

@Knuckles-Fajita

I've never had a failing analog stick on any other console before the Switch though. And I've had at least 1 console every gen since the NES.

Magician

Knuckles-Fajita wrote:

@Dezzy No analog stick so long as it has mechanical parts is immune to failure.

I've had a few 360 and PS4 analog sticks fail on me.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Grumblevolcano

360 and Switch pro controller are the only ones I've had drift from so far. Though the 360 one lasted around 7 years before it got drift. Switch pro controller took around a year and only seems to be noticeable in Xenoblade 2 and Fire Emblem Three Houses (exploring the monastery).

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Tangerine

@StableInvadeel Haha. The only thing stopping me is the worry of a better deal on black friday. But perhaps it's silly to expect much if anything off a newly released console? I feel maybe £180 is as good as it's going to get for the switch lite for a while. But I could be wrong...

Tangerine

link3710

Well, N64 analog sticks are pretty infamous for failing, I've had those happen. GameCube 2 of my original controllers have had analog sticks fail, thank goodness for the rerelease of them recently to let me get brand new ones. The 3DS 'analog stick' (circle pad but still) on my original model is slightly off, but that was due to it getting hit so... And uh, Switch drift of course... oh and one of my Dreamcast controllers I had to replace that analog stick on too.

Of course, the Switch has by far the worst lifespan, but yeah, it's not unique to the Switch.

link3710

Grumblevolcano

I forgot, are you meant to format a brand new microSD card via the Switch settings before use? I got a new microSD card that's both better quality and larger but for some reason loading is slower.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Grumblevolcano

@link3710 Don't know what the issue is. The steps I took were:

• Archive all software with the old microSD card in
  • Shutdown the system
  • Remove the old card and insert the new one
  • Redownload everything

After this I tried playing games and noticed the longer loading times. I'm trying format and redownload now. My old microSD card was Sandisk Ultra 128GB and the new one is Sandisk Extreme 400GB.

EDIT: No change, same load times as before the format.

Grumblevolcano

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
You don’t have to archive. Can put the new one in, and your games will just show up with the cloud icon ready for you to download again. Plus, that way your games stay on your original SD and you have a back up... if you want a backup. And you don’t have to waste time archiving when it’s not going to change anything.

Also, I never reformat the card in the system. Every single time I’ve done that and then copied the files from the original SD over on the computer to the new SD, The system would not recognize the games as being on the card. But every time I’ve simply taken it out of the package, copied the files over immediately, then put it in the Switch, it’s detected the games just fine. [shrugs]

No idea about load times. Could be read/write rates. I’d suggest timing it with a stopwatch to obtain some useful data. Loading game on old card vs new (though if you archived, you’ll have to redownload- another good reason to leave games on original SD, just in case) Then use a downloaded program to check read/write rates on each. That would be my course of action, anyways.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH The idea behind archiving everything was a case of the internal memory was getting too full from updates. Anyway I've come back with results and the only the game that has a significant difference in load times was Fire Emblem Three Houses though they were still very slow with the old card, the main difference was the game didn't temporarily freeze to load the gate to the cathedral opening with the old one. The other games had close enough load times that any slower times could be down to human error (e.g. reaction times).

Grumblevolcano

gcunit

Tangerine wrote:

@StableInvadeel Haha. The only thing stopping me is the worry of a better deal on black friday. But perhaps it's silly to expect much if anything off a newly released console? I feel maybe £180 is as good as it's going to get for the switch lite for a while. But I could be wrong...

For your consideration...
https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/nintendo-switch-lite-gray-15...

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Tangerine

gcunit wrote:

Tangerine wrote:

For your consideration...
https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/nintendo-switch-lite-gray-15...

Thanks Very tempting but I think I'd worry about lack of warranty :/ What if the joystick starts drifting? Hmm...

Tangerine

Magician

Ugh, if anyone thinks December is a slow month for Switch releases, then you don't import games.

The volume of December releases in Japan is brutal.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Grumblevolcano

Munchkin now has a release date (19th November) so now there's only 3 games announced in Directs and presentations before E3 2019 that don't have a release date. SMTV, Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3.

Grumblevolcano

Dezzy

My unofficial joycons came yesterday.

Pretty damn impressed with them really. They work perfectly as just button-based controllers. They feel quite good quality in terms of the buttons and shell. They click onto the switch just like the regular joycons do, and they get detected immediately via the wireless.

The only negative so far is that they don't have rumble (although it says on the box they do, but they definitely don't, I've checked in 3 different games). And I'm guessing they don't have any of the motion control stuff, but I haven't tested that yet.

But they perfectly fulfil my main purpose, which is just to have alternative buttons and joysticks to use for portable play, so I don't have to replace a drifting joystick every year on my official joycons. If anyone else wants to do the same, these are the ones I've got:

Untitled

Dezzy

Update:

-They do have rumble but it's JUST in the right joycon. No idea what that's about.
-They DO have motion controls but it's absolutely terrible, and in one game (RE:Revelations) it actually crashed the game within a minute when I turned it on. Lol.

So yeah only get these if you want them for regular button-based portable gaming. In which case they seem just fine. And the joysticks are definitely not the same as the ones Nintendo are using, so there's a good chance they don't suffer from drift.

IceClimbers

@Grumblevolcano Kentucky Route Zero never got a release date if you're counting indie presentations.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic