Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 31,361 to 31,380 of 70,086

Octane

@Dogorilla Fallout 76 wouldn't run on Nintendo's servers to begin with. At least, I think it's safe to assume Bethesda has their own servers.

Octane

Ralizah

@FragRed Near the end of Ys VIII. It's absolutely fantastic. I've been trying to hold off on Okami HD until I finish that game, but it's hard!

Once Valkyria Chronicles 4 launches, though, I'm playing it as soon as it launches, regardless of what else I'm playing at the time.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

FragRed

@Ralizah Have you tried the demo for Valkyria Chronicles 4 or you been holding off? I am really tempted to get that game if reviews are good. I have seen a bit of the first game on Game Xplain but didn't watch too much in case it came West on the Switch.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Ralizah

@FragRed Already fully completed the demo. It plays almost exactly like the first game. On one hand, some design evolution from a game that first came out in 2008 would have been welcome. But it's still quite fun.

I don't expect to like it as much as the first game, though, as the characters and plot build-up don't seem quite as carefully crafted. Valkyria Chronicles took its time to introduce and establish its fantasy World War 2 setting and flawed but deeply relatable cast of characters. This one sort of throws you in, like it already expects the player to be acquainted with the world established by the first game. It explains the basics, so you won't be lost, but it's not as gradual an introduction.

It's not a huge deal, though. The core gameplay loop, a well-constructed mix of action, strategy, and RPG elements is what matters most, and this is preserved in the demo for the newest game. It's also quite a looker in handheld mode: one of the previews for the game had talked about how downgraded the game looked, but its performance is roughly on par with the PS4 version. There are some changes to in-game shadows, geometry, and foliage density, but they're minor and impossible to notice without directly consulting comparison shots with the PS4 game.

And, you know, maybe I just need time to adjust to the new cast: I wasn't in love with the VC1 characters after two missions either.

Either way, I'm quite excited for this!

EDIT: If the first game comes over, DEFINITELY pick that up, too. It's a classic.

Edited on by Ralizah

FragRed

@Ralizah Thanks for the in depth preview on the demo and it's background, it is greatly appreciated. I think I will try the demo, see how it plays. It is surprising the first game hasn't been announced for the west despite the forth game coming over. Hopefully a Direct will announce it soon.

I am glad to hear that despite the fact the game kinda throws you into the game, it still explains things. Also in a way I am happy that this isn't a direct follow on from the first game in terms of characters and plot. From what I saw of the first game, I understand what you mean about not being in love with the characters right away. I also noticed Alicia seemed a bit OTT in her accuracy in shooting.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Ralizah

@FragRed The scout class in general was kind of OP in the first game. I've heard this one balanced that out a bit more, especially when it comes to S-ranking missions (in the first game, all you had to really do to S-rank a level was complete it really quickly). It also seems like snipers have had their accuracy nerfed across the board. My snipers have missed more often in this demo than they ever did in the first game.

As to continuity... it kind of takes place in the same time frame as the first game, and it chronicles the same conflict, but from a very different vantage point. It's definitely an approach I can get behind.

I'm also surprised Sega hasn't announced a localization of the first game's Switch port. Hopefully they do so soon, as it'd be wonderful to have a fully portable version of that game.

Therad

Octane wrote:

@Dogorilla Fallout 76 wouldn't run on Nintendo's servers to begin with. At least, I think it's safe to assume Bethesda has their own servers.

It is safe to assume that. In fact, it is safe to assume that with every game regardless of console.

Therad

skywake

Just came across my first significant annoyance with the Switch. I have just recently got a Sonos Beam which is their new mini-soundbar thing. I paired it with two Play 1s which I already had to create what is effectively a wireless 5.0 surround sound setup (no sub but there's plenty of bass and the Sonos Sub is REALLY overpriced). Tried out a few movies on it and it's pretty fantastic.

Now here's where the Switch comes in. Under sound settings you have the option for Surround, Stereo or Mono so I swapped this from Stereo to Surround. Nothing from the rear speakers. So I do some internet research for a bit and (re)discovered are few things:
1. HDMI ARC (which most soundbars use) only does Dolby Digital 5.1 (i.e compressed)
2. TVs don't convert PCM to DD 5.1
3. The Switch (as well as the Wii U before it) only does PCM

So because I don't have a "proper" surround setup and am using a soundbar I'm stuck with ARC. Which is perfectly fine for TV and movies and pretty much every device I can connect to my TV. Except for the Switch which doesn't support Dolby Digital output. Basically, because Nintendo's consoles don't playback DVDs Nintendo can avoid this licence fee which means I don't get surround sound.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

FragRed

@skywake This sounds like typical Nintendo. Whenever possible they have always tried to avoid licenses, be it mini DVDs on GameCube or their own DVD format on Wii and Wii U just off the top of my head. It is really annoying but this just sounds like Nintendo cheaping out. It's why they have never allowed officially the ability to play films from their consoles without modding.

skywake

@FragRed
Yeah, but it's also a bit of a comedy of circumstance. The PS4 and XBOne HAVE to support this and pay for the associated licencing because they have DVD and BluRay playback. The Switch doesn't because there's no reason for them to support it given DVD/BluRay playback is out of the question on a cartridge based console. So yes, Nintendo are cheaping out here and that fact is the straw that breaks the camels back with my setup. But the only reason the others aren't is because they can't avoid paying for the licence.

There's also my bad timing with my specific setup. As I understand it HDMI ARC on HDMI 2.1 is a much higher bandwidth and so should work with the Switch in surround. My TV isn't new enough to support this, it's only a thing with some specific 2017 models of TV and most of the new 2018 models. Also the Sonos Beam doesn't support this newer version of HDMI ARC either. It's also one of the few non entry level soundbars that doesn't have any extra HDMI inputs on the back for devices like the Switch where you want/need PCM.

Also what I'm doing here is, I assume, not that common. I would guess most people with surround sound setups are plugging all of their HDMI devices into a receiver which is then in turn connected to their TV. For these people HDMI ARC is just for content that's playing on the TV itself. These people would get surround sound on the Switch. And people with soundbars would almost universally just have the soundbar. For these people stereo is fine. I'm just the weirdo who wants surround sound from a soundbar.

Still doesn't change the fact that I'm being left out in the cold in terms of surround sound gaming.

Edited on by skywake

An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

Octane

@skywake Did the Wii and Wii U support it? Or were they able to get around that by using proprietary discs?

Octane

Therad

Nintendo have always been a bit wonky when it comes to supporting standards.

Therad

skywake

@Octane
The Wii U did not. The Wii didn't have any digital audio outputs and therefore only supported stereo sound. All consoles that had dvd playback pre HDMI used toslink/spdif for surround which would be equally useless for my setup. But the 360, PS3, XBone and PS4 would all work on my setup.

Edited on by skywake

Haruki_NLI

I just set my TV to surround sound. Annoy the neighbours

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Octane

@skywake Makes me wonder why they even went through the trouble of developing their own disc format...

Octane

FragRed

@Octane I assume someone at Nintendo did the accounts on costs and came to the conclusion that even if initial investment in R&D was to be high, the long term benefits from not having to pay for license fees etc would more than cover it. At least, I hope that’s what happened otherwise I scratch my head.

Haruki_NLI

Same reason Sony kept using dumb proprietary formats.

So people had to pay them.

Edited on by Octane

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

FragRed

@Knuckles-Fajita If only Sony hadn't tried doing that with the Vita, they may have had a chance...

FragRed

This interview by Eurogamer with ID Software Marty Stratton (executive producer) and Hugo Martin (creative director) is really interesting. They say they now consider the Switch a 'first class citizen'. That is actually encouraging to hear.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-08-12-the-big-doom-et...

JaxonH

The one genre I figured Switch wouldn't really get was FPS. Glad to see Bethesda will have put 3 solid FPS on the system, and at a time when Call of Duty is going full online multiplayer (and had the first Wolfenstein game come, it would've had the four best FPS).

Just needs a few more open world games, and that'll be that.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic