Forums

Topic: The Switch Recommendations Thread

Posts 941 to 960 of 1,016

BruceCM

Darknyht wrote:

As for the Switch: Skyrim (if you haven't played it, and even if you have), Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Let's Go Pikachu! Diablo III, Stardew Valley, Golf Story, Octopath Traveler, Final Fantasy (VII, IX and Zodiac Age) and probably a lot that I am not remembering are some of the better ones I've seen (or played on other systems).

FFX/X2 .... Mario + Rabbids, for turn-based tactical

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

NintendoSlav

@k8sMum So nice to hear you're finding comfort in video games. Gaming on my own has really helped me thru some tough times too (particularly Zelda games).

BoTW ends kind of quickly even if you dedicate some time to the side quests. When you're done with it check out reviews and videos of Dark Souls Remastered on Switch. I was never into deep RPG's but this really changed that for me. It's got a lot of the Zelda aspects to it - secrets. open world exploration, customization, non-linear progress, but it's much deeper and more dark. Just be warned it won't hold your hand in the slightest and you'll probably need to do a lot of Googling to find out basic stuff. It's a relentlessly tough game but the sensation you get from progressing is like cocaine : P

NintendoSlav

NintendoSlav

@Ralizah I need to disagree on BoTW. It's my least favorite Zelda game. They put way too much time into creating a huge open world with side quests and shrines but the dungeons, story, items, and boss battles (the core of Zelda games) are all rushed. I finished the last 2 dungeons (including the boss battles) in a total of 45 minutes without dying once. That should never happen. In the end it was more of an exploration game more than anything else. Still a worthy game for the series but nothing compared to the N64 Zelda games or Twilight Princess.

NintendoSlav

Ralizah

NintendoSlav wrote:

They put way too much time into creating a huge open world with side quests and shrines but the dungeons, story, items, and boss battles (the core of Zelda games) are all rushed.

It's an open world Zelda game, so I don't think that really follows. It sounds more like you're not a fan of the game's design philosophy in the first place, which is fine. But those elements clearly aren't the "core" of this Zelda game.

I'll agree that the dungeons and bosses could have been better, although I'm going to go ahead and say that the boss battles in Zelda games are rarely any good to begin with. They're usually longer than anything, which makes them feel like more of an ordeal than they really are. In terms of BotW's bosses, Nintendo tried to take a different approach with them and serve up challenging opponents instead of elaborate puzzle sequences disguised as enemies (once you figure out HOW to kill a traditional Zelda boss, doing so is usually pretty simple). I think BotW has a lot of really good enemy encounters, though, if you include mini-bosses out in the field and especially Lynels, which feel very "boss-like." It's clear that Nintendo wasn't especially concerned with bosses in this iteration, though.

The story is actually way more interesting than what you'll find in most Zelda games (ESPECIALLY Twilight Princess, where most of the "plot" is just a series of mcguffin hunts), it's just primarily relegated to backstory cutscenes that you have to hunt down. I especially like this very relatable iteration of Princess Zelda. I haven't played Skyward Sword yet, but otherwise, this easily has my favorite narrative of any Zelda game I've played.

Having rather recently played Twilight Princess and almost 100% completed it (I don't think I tracked down all of the bugs...), I'm going to say it has spectacular dungeon design, decent combat mechanics, a great companion character, and utterly mediocre everything else. It's absolutely my least favorite of the 3D games any time you're not actually exploring a dungeon. And even then, I thought the first dungeon's gimmick was kind of dumb, and the City in the Sky was a massive pain in the butt.

Ocarina of Time... is important, and I enjoyed my time with it, but it's very vanilla. And the large environments are barren of almost any interactivity.

You're correct that Majora's Mask is a masterpiece, and might even be my favorite game in the series. It's one of the most unique video games I've ever played.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

GuyWithATV

Should I get Mario Odyssey or Breath of the Wild? I've heard BOTW is better, but I still need to finish Ocarina of Time and am enjoying it a lot.

GuyWithATV

Darknyht

@GuyWithATV Of the two I prefer Breath of the Wild, but I have always preferred Zelda games over Mario games. Either one has a lot to do, but I think Breath of the Wild is the more immersive as you are given the freedom to write your own Zelda tale (is your Link a coward that does everything but storm the castle, or a crazy man that goes unprepared?).

Darknyht

Nintendo Network ID: DarKnyht | Twitter:

Louise29

everyone should I get team sonic racing how active is it on the switch

https://4drclanforum.com/

Krull

I'm umming and ahhing between getting Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (yes, sorry, I know this is a Switch thread, but bear with me!) or Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age. Be good to hear people's thoughts who have played both.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589

BruceCM

Krull wrote:

I'm umming and ahhing between getting Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (yes, sorry, I know this is a Switch thread, but bear with me!) or Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age. Be good to hear people's thoughts who have played both.

Get both.....

SW-4357-9287-0699

CurryPowderKeg79

I recommend Minit as it's my favorite game of the last year and it's on sell now for $5.99.

Edited on by CurryPowderKeg79

(CURRENTLY PLAYING)
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: LINK'S AWAKENING (SWITCH)
BIOSHOCK INFINITE (PC)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3830-1045-2921

Krull

BruceCM wrote:

Krull wrote:

Get both.....

Ha! That is what I'm trying NOT to do... But why fight it?!

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589

Arbor

can anyone recommend some good visual novels on the switch that aren’t, ya know, entirely revolved around the exploitation or objectification of women? i’m a bisexual woman myself but sometimes these things are just too much.

Arbor

Dogorilla

@Arbor Have you played Ace Attorney? It's the only visual novel series I've played much of but I can't recommend it highly enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NCyD3XoJgM

Magician

Arbor wrote:

can anyone recommend some good visual novels on the switch that aren’t, ya know, entirely revolved around the exploitation or objectification of women? i’m a bisexual woman myself but sometimes these things are just too much.

Steins;Gate Elite

Switch Physical Collection - 412 games (as of September 20th, 2019)
Currently playing: Dead or School (Switch) Sly Cooper (PS Vita)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

noodlecade

cadence of hyrule or collection of mana?

noodlecade

Switch Friend Code: SW-7453-8315-0131 | 3DS Friend Code: 0705-8937-6457 | Nintendo Network ID: funktofunky

Magician

noodlecade wrote:

cadence of hyrule or collection of mana?

Rhythm/Action vs. Action/RPG, the two are very different from each other.

Yes to both?

Switch Physical Collection - 412 games (as of September 20th, 2019)
Currently playing: Dead or School (Switch) Sly Cooper (PS Vita)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

zool

I got a Fathers day gift, a £25 ($30) eshop voucher. I mostly buy physical games, but any suggestions for a games around that value. The only condition is, it must have a bit of replay value because it will have no resale value.

zool

BruceCM

You'll have to give us some idea what sorts of games you like.... @zool

SW-4357-9287-0699

jump

zool wrote:

I got a Fathers day gift, a £25 ($30) eshop voucher. I mostly buy physical games, but any suggestions for a games around that value. The only condition is, it must have a bit of replay value because it will have no resale value.

There's a lot of games on sale now because of E3 which are under £25 if you're quick.

The various Lego games and the various Final Fantasy are huge time sinkers. NBA Playgrounds, Rocket League, Monster Hunter Generations have lots replay value and there's a few that are cheap as chips like Crypt of the NecroDancer and Fear Effect Sedna.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

zool

@BruceCM of course. Cadence of Hyrule, Resident Evil 4, Final fantasy x, Dragon Dogma, Monster boy, Katamari.

These are a few games I was considering, but reviews were mixed.

Is there a diamond game in that lot?

zool

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic