Forums

Topic: The Switch Recommendations Thread

Posts 1,801 to 1,818 of 1,818

Ubercrit

What are some good games like Star Fox 64 I could play on the switch? I’m looking forward to playing Sin and Punishment on NSO next month and I just preordered the Exzeus Collection but I want to know of some others out there

Ubercrit

SKTTR

@Ubercrit
STARLINK: BATTLE FOR ATLAS
and DAEMON X MACHINA.

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Ubercrit

@SKTTR
Have them both and they’re awesome! I’m looking for more of an on rails, arcade like shooter. Something short and super replayable

Ubercrit

anynamereally

@Ubercrit if you're into linear arcade shooters then definitely take look at shoot'em ups galore on the eshop. Mostly short, can be played in quick sessions and they are somewhat replayable.
For example I really enjoyed Samurai Aces 2 (also known as Tengai), Sol Divide and Dragon Blaze. But that's just my taste, you can go to eshop and find something to your liking.

Edited on by anynamereally

anynamereally

Fighting_Game_Loser

@Ubercrit The ExZeus Collection is coming out pretty soon (if not today if I remember correctly) and it seems to be a super much Star Fox, Space Harrier and Panzer Dragoon inspired game

Fighting_Game_Loser

Switch Friend Code: SW-2139-9910-6119

Ubercrit

@Fighting_Game_Loser
Preordered Exzeus last night and I’m looking forward to playing it when I get off work. It looks great and it’s definitely the type of game that would scratch that Star Fox itch

Ubercrit

Fighting_Game_Loser

@Ubercrit Totally. When I watched gameplay it gave me a personal Planet Harriers vibe and anything that feels like a mid 90's to early 2000's Sega arcade game is always an A+ in my book

Edited on by Fighting_Game_Loser

Fighting_Game_Loser

Switch Friend Code: SW-2139-9910-6119

Cia

I'm about to get a new Switch this month. I gave Hollow Knight a try some time ago, after deciding to give it a second chance, and I really liked it despite my previous opinion. Should I buy the first game first or just wait for the Silksong?

Edited on by Cia

Cia

ophone

@Cia
Who knows how long it will take until Silksong gets released? No mention at this year's Nintendo E3 presentation, no mention in Nintendo's last Direct.
I'd buy the first game now in your place, it's one of the best games on the Switch I've played so far.

Edited on by ophone

Since January 2021 owner of my first real Nintendo "home" console.
Currently on Breath of the Wild.

Gimli

Anyone who can recommend a 2D shooter, with has some kind of ekstra gameplay elements besiddes shooting. One of My alltime favorite shooter is the ancient ANCIPTAL (commodore 64), which had a tactical element in the Way you could regain your energy. Another very old classic is Wizball (also C64), where you had to colour the gameworld. I hope there is Someone out there, WHO knows What I'm talking about. The pure shmups game are a little limited in My opinion.

Graphics is only the cosmetic of gameplay

MrDinosaur

Any recommendations for Switch JRPG?
I've got weird relationship with JRPGs - I've played only 3 so far:

• FFVII - I really enjoyed this game in the beginning, especially Midgar part. I liked the setting and story but that was about it. I didn't feel the ATB, I totally misunderstood materia system for the most part and I hated the number of random encounters in the game which actually made explore less => less items and materia => harder experience. When I got to the overworld I just hated the game (3 random encounters every ten meters travelled) and by the time I got to Demons gate (fck Demons gate, that was just horribly designed boss imho) and Aerith died I was so frustrated I didn't even care anymore and quit the game. I was thinking about playing it 3x speed with no encounters and god mode but that just seemed like a waste of time so I ended up watching recap of the story on YT (and it's still kinda cool).
  • Yakuza: LaD - I absolutely loved this game. I've played only Kiwami and Zero and wouldn't consider myself Yakuza fan but this game just soo much clicked with me I nearly 100% it. I loved the silliness, the characters, the settings, even the convoluted story. While I loved the brawler-style Yakuza, I didn't mind turn-based battles but I felt like the whole job/class system just didn't really work that well. This game was one of my biggest surprises of 2020.
  • DQXI: I finished the game but I think mostly for the sake of finishing the game. I think I'm not fan of high-fantasy settings overall and this game just felt too childish and templatey with it's characters and story. Nearly 2 years after beating it I couldn't actually tell you what it was about, it was just unmemorable experience both gameplay and story-wise. It was like a fairy-tale but I found Zelda: Skyward Sword doing much better job in this department.

Any suggestions for me or am I just lost cause in the JRPG world?

<3

Switch Friend Code: SW-0008-9626-6899

Anti-Matter

@MrDinosaur
Miitopia.
Don't underestimate their cute Mii looking.
It has some storyline quality.

Top 8 Konami's Rhythm games:
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

CactusMan

@MrDinosaur Maybe you could try NEO: The World Ends With You or Xenoblade Chronicles. Those don´t suffer old gameplay mechanics like FF VII and don´t have a over the top classic JRPG vibe like Dragon Quest XI. I wouldn´t recommand Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne because that game is a random encounter hazard. If you wait a bit SMT V might not have that problem.

South Park: The Fractured But Whole and Lost Sphear could be considered too.

Edited on by CactusMan

Bamm!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6657-1971-4787

MrDinosaur

@Anti-Matter I don't mind the cuteness. It has demo available so no reason not to give it a try. Thanks!

@CactusMan NEO looks interesting and has a demo as well so I'll try that. I saw SMT V on Nintendo Treehouse and am not really sure what to make of it but it doesn't look very interesting to me. Persona 5 also comes to mind when talking about SMT but that's not on Switch and I don't wanna be limited by playing only at home especially in a game which is over 100 hours. I'll check the others as well. Thanks!

<3

Switch Friend Code: SW-0008-9626-6899

SKTTR

@MrDinosaur Xenoblade. Any part you can get is worth it. This series doesn't have any of the issues that you disliked in FFVII and DQXIS.

FFVII is really bad-aged with many of its elements. Wasn't as future proof as Ocarina of Time, or to be more fair, even compared with other RPGs that came out at the time (Suikoden, Paper Mario) or earlier (SNES era). But it did things no other RPG tried before, and it did them amazingly well at the time. Well enough to get into gaming history. I too played the Switch version, but early on I switched to 3x speed and later disabled random battles. Great features to enhance the experience. I never was a fan of invisible enemy encounters, even back in the day I prefered the style of Chrono Trigger, EarthBound, Super Mario RPG, Secret of Mana, and Terranigma in where I could see enemies and approach or avoid them.
But what you get with FF7 is the classic FF formula with some added Materia (it's just simple slot items for your gear) and other fluff.

Also, try Undertale.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

DennisNOR

A hat in time is 50% off on eshop europe 😊

SW-4796-1687-6967
Play mostly everything. 😊

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic