Forums

Topic: The Switch Recommendations Thread

Posts 1,441 to 1,460 of 2,193

Magitek_Knight

So...The last time I played a Super Smash Bros game I was like 9 at a birthday party, one of my friends rented the original N64 release. I'm interested in trying the Switch version but kind of not willing to jump in blind due to the price.

I know it's a fighting game, and that's about it. I'm not huge on fighting games but I do enjoy them once in a while; however I find most to be pretty short on content since I don't really have anyone to play against at home and online play is usually just instant massacre. (I think I have like 10 wins in Injustice 2 online, ever). I don't tend to spend much time with any game's competitive multiplayer aspect. Is there anything different about Smash Bros or am I better off spending my money elsewhere?

Also kind of looking into Luigi's Mansion 3, though I've never played any of those and don't know what to expect. Again, the price makes me not want to make a blind purchase.

Edited on by Magitek_Knight

I didn't like Breath of the Wild, have I mentioned it yet today?

MarioVillager92

@Magitek_Knight Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has an awesome classic mode that has different routes for each character. I even went ahead and finished it with all the characters that I have. There's also World of Light, which is the game's adventure mode. The majority of it is battles with different conditions though - there isn't any levels ala Melee and Brawl's adventure modes. So take that for what you will. I did enjoy WoL personally. There's a ton of spirits/challenges you can collect/finish as you play the game, as well.

I enjoyed Luigi's Mansion 3, too. Basically you're exploring a haunted hotel and you can do things like catch ghosts and solve puzzles. So if it sounds like something you'd be into, then I'd recommend it. But yeah...these games are not cheap and Nintendo doesn't put their hit Switch games on sale too often. Perhaps they'll have a winter sale on the eShop, but I can't be too certain.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

Dogorilla

@Magitek_Knight I've played Smash Ultimate for 100 hours and at least 90% of that was single player. The main draw for solo players is the spirits, which are collectibles that each represent a different character from a game. There are over 1000 of these and most of them are obtained by winning a unique battle, either in the story mode (which is fun but admittedly not as fleshed out as the story mode in Brawl for example) or on the dedicated spirit board. If you're not interested in collecting the spirits then the game might not hold your attention for as long, but there are still quite a few different modes as well as various achievements to unlock, plus there are dozens of fun and unique characters and around 100 stages, so there's certainly no lack of content.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Magitek_Knight

@MarioLover92 I'm thinking Luigi's Mansion is probably more my thing. I'll try Smash Bros if I get a chance but I'm not big on collectibles or completionist runs.

MarioVillager92

@Magitek_Knight Yeah, I was thinking you'd like LM3 more. Glad I could help out

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

TheFrenchiestFry

Since Control Cloud Version is out on Switch I'll just throw out a recommendation. If you like action adventure games with Metroidvania elements and light platforming, you'll dig it for sure. I hear it actually runs pretty well despite cloud limitations, so it's a great game for those who only have a Switch and don't have access to other consoles or PCs. For people who do though, it is far from the most optimal method for playing the game and I'd recommend firing up your PS4/Xbox One or PC in that case.

I will say though this is a better workaround for getting Control on Switch than Square putting FFXV Pocket Edition in lieu of the full fat game.

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Xyphon22

@Magitek_Knight I'm pretty sure that I saw Best Buy is going to have Luigi's Mansion 3 for $40 on Black Friday, so if that is what you want you might want to wait. I'm hoping to pick it up then, too.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

Magitek_Knight

@Xyphon22 Thanks for the tip! Sounds like a good idea. I was going to wait until my payday anyway, but delaying gratification a little longer is fine! Not like I'm short on things to play in the meantime.

Edited on by Magitek_Knight

captainkwakkie

Does anyone know some good switch (j)rpg/tactics games, I have played games like:
Fire emblem threehouses (really loved this one)
Xenoblade chronicles 2
The witcher (pc)
valkyria chronicles (meh)
skyrim (pc)
xcom (pc)

(bonus points if the game has A romantic subplot)

captainkwakkie

jump

@captainkwakkie Disgaea is a notable TRPG you haven't got yet.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

F3rr4

Hi im new to this forum and dont know if this is the right place to post it but here we go. I was hopeing to get some tips about some good games to intreduce a 3 year old to the nintendo world. Something we could play togheter.

F3rr4

Dogorilla

@F3rr4 Mario Kart 8 Deluxe would probably be a good choice. It has optional settings for automatic steering and acceleration, so it should be easy enough for a child to learn to play.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Xyphon22

For those who have played both, are there any considerable differences between the original Trials of Mana and the remake aside from it being in 3D? I'm almost done with it on the Collection, and am wondering if it is worth getting the remake. I've thought the game is good but not extraordinary so I'm not necessarily itching to play it again if it's basically the same game just with better graphics.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

Blooper987

@captainkwakkie tactical rpg I would recommend wargroove

Jrpg has gotta be Dragon Quest 11

Switch Friend Code: SW-0772-1845-0995

Wargoose

@captainkwakkie

The best JRPG I've played on the Switch is Ys VIII. If you've never played Grandia that's also really good.

If you want something like fire emblem, Langrisser 1 and 2 might be worth a look, or The Banner Saga.

Wargoose

BongoBongo123

What are some good, cheap Metroidvanias for Switch? Ive finished and really rated Timespinner, Chasm, and Shantae Risky's Revenge.

BongoBongo123

MonadoBoy

@BongoBongo123 You've probably heard of it, but Hollow Knight is an excellent metroidvania and one of my favorite games on the Switch in general. The combat, atmosphere, and amount of content are all excellent, and it's only $15! Can't recommend it enough.

MonadoBoy

BongoBongo123

@MonadoBoy Thanks for the recommendation. I have heard Hollowknight is great but I'm more looking for a game that uses pixel art. I just like the style more.

BongoBongo123

Magician

@BongoBongo123

Axiom Verge, Streamwold Dig 2, and Owlboy.

All great games in my book.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic