Forums

Topic: The Switch Recommendations Thread

Posts 1,321 to 1,340 of 2,207

BruceCM

Never played Stardew or Terraria, @aldohe .... Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 are great games, with LOTS of customization, which makes them rather complicated, if you're new to those sorts of games

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Krull

@aldohe What about the Xenoblade Chronicles games? There are three of them, they are open world, they are teen rather than mature ... but they are also quite story heavy. However, you will struggle to find a more grindy RPG (in a good way).

Baldurs Gate is also about the story - but you are likely to have a good time, if you can cope with the real-time-with-pause combat.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Anti-Matter

@aldohe
Dragon Quest Builders 2 was even bigger than Portal Knights.
It has tons of furnitures, block shaping tools, etc.
The storyline was very long.
It divided into 4 Chapters.

But for DQB2, you just only have 1 job, use sword only.
There is a leveling up, but there is no specific stats build (Str, Def, Mag, Spr, Spd, Dex).

Portal Knights have 6 different stats.
You can choose 1 from 5 jobs available.
It has 6 parameters (Str, Def, Int, Wisdom, Spd, Dex)
Everytime you leveled up, you got 2 points to upgrade your parameter.
Same as Fantasy Life.
There are some support skills unlocked by certain levels.
The storyline was very simple, just open the portal gates, fight with 3 Bosses and finished.

Here is for your deliberation.
Portal Knights world size capped by 128 x 128 blocks (Small size) & 256 x 256 blocks (Large size) with Bottomless pit as the islands are floating in the air.
Dragon Quest Builders 2 world size = TOO HUGE !!
That was explaining of very LONG loading time on both PS4 & Switch version.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

porto

The Touryst is such a fun little appetizer of a game. Gorgeous graphics ASMR sounds and funny characters along with an interesting story and mind-boggling mechanics make this a high on my list.

In other waters is another one. It’s not for everyone, but if you like reading books and/or interesting in story rather than gameplay, I highly suggest checking it out. Simple and beautiful controls and art style along with an original premise is a 10/10 for me. Definitely recommend.

Donut County was an OK game, but if you’re interested in 1 playthrough gems then I’d recommend giving it a try. It has a simplistic art style and funny characters and a silly and unique plot to par.

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

aldohe

@BruceCM Thank you. I'm not really into complicated right now. I checked out some reviews on Baldur's Gate 2 and though the customization looks great it looks really hard to learn.

@Krull I have XC2 and Torna. I started XC2 and really liked it. I'll keep going on that. Re: BG2 the battle system seems really difficult based on the reviews I watched. I'll pass on BG2.

@Anti-Matter Thanks for the breakdown of PK and DQB2. I don't want to be stuck with a sword the entire game either.

I'm going to work on XC2/Torna and then start BotW at the end of the year. Besides Pokemon SW/SH it looks like BotW will be the closest to the "RPG" I'm looking for.

aldohe

Aozz101x

@aldohe understandable. i was gonna suggest Animal Crossing: New Horizon, while it doesn't have RPG elements, it does have customization in the game (Hair, Clothes, Your House etc.)
otherwise, i can't think of anything on switch that has RPG and customization.

My Top 9 Favorite Games of All time.
1. Judgement
2. Baldur's Gate 3
3. Bully (Rockstar)
4. Person 4 / Golden
5. Sonic Adventure 2
6. Xenoblade X
7. Ape Escape 2
8. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
9. James Bond 007 Nightfire

Switch Friend Code: SW-5070-3616-4044 | 3DS Friend Code: 4828-8466-0472 | My Nintendo: Aozz101x | Twitter:

Screen

I was told I could get recommendations for a good Call of Duty substitute here, particular one with a fleshed out wave battle like the zombie mode from Black Ops

BDSP has online matchmaking!

TheFrenchiestFry

It's not out yet but anyone who wants to get into mainline SMT after having played any of the Hashino Persona games will feel very comfortable with Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne's HD remaster. Nocturne was built on practically the same engine as Persona 3 and Persona 4 so it'll feel very familiar mechanically, even if stuff like demon negotiation or lack of social links and girl romancing is also present.

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Wargoose

@aldohe Monster Hunter doesn't have a traditional level up system, it does however have a really deep armour system which kinda fulfilled the same role. For me Its a little too grindy and I'm not the biggest fan of the combat. It's a very well made game though. Closest thing you'll get to dark souls.

I'd say Ys VIII is the best JRPG on the system, its level up system is pretty basic though.

Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy X-2 and Final Fantasy XII have really good deep character customisation in terms of how they play.

Wargoose

Wargoose

@damien33ad Ys VIII is a good bet, it doesn't have the puzzles of Zelda, but it has that metroid esque level progression. Where you get an item, and it opens up new areas.

Astral Chain, Dark Souls, Dragons Dogma, Darksiders might also be good ones to check out.

@screen Hypercharge unboxed might be worth a look, it's got that wave style gameplay of a Zombie mode. There's not a great deal of that style of play on Switch. The best action FPS games on Switch are probably Doom, the wolfenstein games and borderlands.

Edited on by Wargoose

Wargoose

aldohe

@Wargoose Thank you. I am playing the MH demo now. I like it so far. I can tell it takes some getting used to. Playing through the medium difficulty now.

I have all of the other games you mentioned. I have not yet started any of them but will probably get to those next year starting with Y's VIII. I am going get into Zelda BotW during Christmastime and I am playing XC2 right now.

aldohe

aldohe

@Aozz101x Thanks. My kids are playing ACNH. I have Stardew Valley and would probably start that before I play ACNH. I just can't get into that kind of blocky character design. I prefer more realistic or anime looking characters unless I'm playing a retro or old-school RPG.

aldohe

Krull

@damien33ad Have you thought about CrossCode? It’s something in between 2D Zelda and Secret of Mana - proper combat and puzzles. And it’s a substantial game too. That is definitely my top recommendation.

For something breezier, there are the Ittle Dew games - not played them personally, though. Moonlighter is another highly rated option, though it has randomised elements. And a shop.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Screen

@Wargoose

Thank you I'll be sure to take a look.

BDSP has online matchmaking!

NintendoByNature

@damien33ad crosscode has reviewed really well..its on my buy list and will grab it eventually..maybe in a sale.

NintendoByNature

Duboiss

I’m almost finished with my jrpg’s don’t know if you guys have anything else to recommend

I really liked : Fire emblem three houses, Xenoblade 2 and Torna, World of final fantasy and FF X/X-2, Tokyo mirage session, Dragon quest X1 (best one), Octopath Traveler, Tales of Vesperia and Ys 8

Yeah I played a lot of great jrpg on switch and can recommend all of them

Duboiss

BruceCM

FFIX, then .... ?

SW-4357-9287-0699

NintendoByNature

I'm already thinking ahead of my next purchase, seeing as we really don't know whats coming up for switch other than a handful of games. With that said, the two games im considering are Octopath Traveler and DQXI S. Ive seen them both on sale but as of late, nothing has been below $45. I can find both for around the same price but I wondering which i should go with?

Separately, do you think there will be a near future sale for either game? Both are coming up on anniversaries i believe

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

BruceCM

Either is a great choice, @NintendoByNature.... Not sure just when either was last in sales on eShop but both do so quite often, so there's always a reasonable chance of that

SW-4357-9287-0699

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic