Forums

Topic: Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection

Posts 361 to 380 of 410

Lroy

@RetroGamerAndrew You say you saw this coming though, honestly I didn't. I happened to get a bonus from work and used the bulk of it to treat myself to the HORI Arcade Stick and this game (combined Β£150 approx). Thinking I'd be all set.

I never for a moment thought I'd then find myself struggling so much to perform moves in a game I played daily as a school boy both in arcades and on the Mega Drive and Snes.

Fortunately, as I have dozens upon dozens of arcade games on my Switch I will get use out of my HORI Stick albeit if I actually find I play these arcade games better with the Switch Pro Controller?! Again. I never expected that to be the case.

Essentially, my HORI Arcade Stick is destined to become simply an expensive luxury treat which I will use occasionally for nostalgia inducing co-op memories. Basically, just when I fancy booting up one of the Neo Geo or Arcade Archives games and imagining I'm in the arcade. So mainly just for casual play time. For score chasing or online versus I am still more likely to use the Switch Pro over the Stick which is really quite a disappointing surprise for me. Thought I'd use the stick all the time.

EDIT Let me know how you get on with the HORI D-Pad joy-con. I don't imagine I'll play SF much in handheld mode but I'd certainly prefer the option of a D-Pad over the four joy-con buttons for most games. Although again, from what I've read, the Switch itself will still register those inputs as the four buttons regardless of whether you use a D-Pad as your control method.

Edited on by Lroy

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast πŸ•Ή | πŸš€
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

RetroGamerAndrew

@Moroboshi876
You have to keep in mind that switching to an arcade stick requires some time to get used to the controls. It's not as plug & play as it may seem, and usually the modern fightsticks have a quite different feel from the arcade cabinets' ones. That said, a stick is without doubt the best input method for fighting games. Can't speak for USFII because I don't have it, but boy I cannot stand using the joycon with this game, AT ALL.

With a cabled stick like the Mayflash F300 you'll need an USB adapter, and I suggest you the one I've bought a couple of months ago for my HORI RAP4:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07413R4HS/ref=oh_aui_det...

You plug the adapter dongle in the dock USB-A input (or the console USB-C input, using the provided cable), plug the USB cord in said dongle, select "Switch" input pressing a little button on the adapter (the instructions are pretty straightforward) and basically you're ready to go. It's a pretty useful tool, you can use any sort of controller on your Switch using it, I even synced my XBONE bluetooth controller this way.

The original fire has died and gone, but the riot inside moves on.

RetroGamerAndrew

Switch Friend Code: SW-3772-6675-0699 | My Nintendo: RetroAndy | Twitter:

Lroy

@Moroboshi876 My HORI Arcade Stick is USB. I have to plug it into the dock to use it with the Switch.

I don't know about the specific Stick you mention but I believe people like @Fafounet can probably answer your question ? I'd guess you either plug the USB straight into the Switch or you need to use an adapter of some kind. Is it MayFlash or some such?

Moroboshi876

@RetroGamerAndrew

I wasn't an arcade-goer even though I'm from the 80s, so it would be starting from scratch to me.

After opening the link I was bummed for having to spend 20 on a USB adapter, which added to the 50 something the Mayflash costs makes the whole pack as expensive as a Pro Controller I've been avoiding for its price and the D-Pad bad reports.

But if this adapter lets me play fighting games on Switch with my Xbox One or even better, Xbox 360 controller, boy, it's something to think about.

I'm fine with Joy-cons, and having to spend 70+ € (let alone the Hori Arcade Stick's 100+) on a way to play just a couple games isn't appealing. With Street Fighter I can deal with using a controller from another console, something I usually detest. You know, for the zero feeling.

Thanks

Edited on by Moroboshi876

Switch code: SW-2291-6286-4620

Nintendo 3DS code: 2879-0476-7598

My Nintendo: Toni | Twitter:

RetroGamerAndrew

@Lroy really sorry to hear the arcade stick isn't working as intended with this game mate.
Does it feel the same with other fighters, i.e. Neo Geo's one from HAMSTER? Because that's kinda weird. Maybe I can try and hook up my stick for a quick test tonight and report back, our sticks should have several common parts under the chassis, IIRC.
Unfortunately I'll have to wait a bit for the HORI cross controller, I think it will ship late July

RetroGamerAndrew

RetroGamerAndrew

@Moroboshi876
Yeah that's totally fine, I've had my fair share of USFIV on PC using XBONE controller and it wasn't that bad at all. So I'd say, go for the adapter and use the controllers of your choice.

You're welcome.

RetroGamerAndrew

Lroy

@RetroGamerAndrew No, I actually think the Stick works far more like I expected with the Neo Geo 1v1 fighters. I can perform moves more smoothly in the likes of GAROU: MARK OF THE WOLVES with the Stick although I haven't tried the Stick long enough with this game or likes of LAST BLADE, SAMURAI SHODOWN II, KING OF FIGHTERS '98 to really have a definitive answer. When I get the time, I'll certainly try the Stick again.

I did notice for the Arcade Archive TERRA CRESTA high-score challenge that my performance was actually worse with the HORI Stick over the Switch Pro Controller?!! So I will need to try the Stick with more Shmups to see if this is a common trend or not.

RetroGamerAndrew

@Lroy yes I agree, the stick is just not good for SHMUPS, that's a fact: fighting games, scrolling BMUPs and generic arcade games where millimetrical precision is not required is where it shines.

RetroGamerAndrew

Eagle9

I just bought Hori Pokken Controller for 20,9e and they sent it to my near post (about 300m far). That has been the difference maker for me to this game.

It all started from Game&Watch.

3DS Friend Code 5455 9594 9430.
Switch Friend Code 7313-1538-3028.

Fafounet

Lroy wrote:

@Moroboshi876 My HORI Arcade Stick is USB. I have to plug it into the dock to use it with the Switch.

I don't know about the specific Stick you mention but I believe people like @Fafounet can probably answer your question ? I'd guess you either plug the USB straight into the Switch or you need to use an adapter of some kind. Is it MayFlash or some such?

Thanks for tagging me @Lroy. I don't usually check this tread very often.
Just like @RetroGamerAndrew mentioned, I also use a NS magic dongle with a USB c to normal USB coverter whenever I want to use my PS4 Mayflash fightstick (which I have modded).
As far as the results go, I very happy with it as it is just as responsive as it should be. I just wish I to use less dongles and wires everytime I play SFC.
Now I have been consistently inconsistent in being able to successfully pull off all the special moves, specially the double haddokens specials which would have been pretty much a piece of cake in the past. Saying that, I come from a console background so the stick is still new to me. I cannot 100pct guarantee that my input issues are all down to the game and the NS, I would rather echo what @RetroGamerAndrew said about getting used to fightsticks.
But all in all, I am delighted with my NS magic purchase as it enables me to use my PS4 controller which is not a bad considering the abysmal d pad on the pro controller and obviously infamous joycons.
Hope it helps.

Finally I get my fair share of gaming.
Praise the Switch!

Switch Friend Code: SW-7348-1182-0620 | My Nintendo: Fafounet | Nintendo Network ID: Fafounet

blaisedinsd

Man just got this and it's not fun trying to pull off haduken's and shoryuken's on the joycons. Analog stick worked a bit better but I guess I can't really enjoy till I can get it docked with my pro controller.

SW-7087-5868-6390

Lroy

blaisedinsd wrote:

Man just got this and it's not fun trying to pull off haduken's and shoryuken's on the joycons. Analog stick worked a bit better but I guess I can't really enjoy till I can get it docked with my pro controller.

Just had a Games Night on this with half a dozen or so of the regulars here and to my amazement I actually could hold my own with the Switch Pro Controller.

Moroboshi876

Well, I managed to beat Street Fighter yesterday. Maybe just because the difficulty of pulling off specials and win difficult combats I got satisfaction.

Now I'm with Street Fighter II (vanilla) and specials are also difficult to perform, not so much though. ShΓ΄ryuken is the worst.

But my main complaint with this compilation is actually the low sound. When I take the bus, where I usually play, I can't hear with the engine noise. I really hope they fix it.

OorWullie

@Moroboshi876 Yep the sound quality is really poor. When I play it on my TV I need to turn the volume up to 45 and even then it still sounds muffled. Other games I play with the volume set between 15 to 20. How no reviews that I've seen picked up on this glaring fault I don't know. I fear with it not being brought up in reviews that Capcom won't bother patching it.

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Mr Mustard πŸ‡ΉπŸ‡­
SW-6101-8403-1640

πŸ•ΉοΈ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards πŸ•ΉοΈ

Moroboshi876

@OorWullie You're right. Maybe we could bring it to the reviewer's attention, but it's really a shame, because Street Fighter saga sound and music are legendary...

blaisedinsd

So I tried an online casual match and it was unplayable garbage. My friend says he plays this on PC and it is fine.

Does the switch just have crap internet? Do I need to get off WIFI and go USB hardwire? What speed do I need I get 80-100 Mbps normally

SW-7087-5868-6390

Lroy

@blaisedinsd From what I've played the online performance improves dramatically if you are geographically close to the player you are playing. E.g. Playing against someone on the same continent as you.

I would be very surprised if this game's online performance was any different across all platforms.

Beatley82

Eagle9 wrote:

I just bought Hori Pokken Controller for 20,9e and they sent it to my near post (about 300m far). That has been the difference maker for me to this game.

Yes yes! I did the same and its been the best thing I could have done for this game.

Beatley82

blaisedinsd

Lroy wrote:

@blaisedinsd From what I've played the online performance improves dramatically if you are geographically close to the player you are playing. E.g. Playing against someone on the same continent as you.

I would be very surprised if this game's online performance was any different across all platforms.

Is there an option to filter that in match making? Perhaps in ranked matches as I didnt see it when I was poking around in casual?

SW-7087-5868-6390

mauhlin12

@blaisedinsd Unfortunately no that is not a feature in the game. In the Mario Tennis Aces demo you could see how good your connection was with your opponent was on a scale of 1-5 bars. If my opponent only had 1 bar I would decline the match because I knew it would be unplayable. Puyo Puyo Tetris also has an option to put a filter in the match maker to only match you up with players who have a quality connection. Hopefully Capcom will patch in something like that in because it's pretty hard to play a twitch based 1 on 1 fighter with lag.

mauhlin12

Switch Friend Code: sw-1462-2641-1823 | Nintendo Network ID: mauhlin12

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic