Forums

Topic: Starlink: Battle for Atlas

Posts 461 to 480 of 483

C-Chakra

I loaded up Starlink today for the first time in almost a year. It suprises me that the game didn't sell well, as it is a really well put together game imo. The gameplay loop can get a bit repetitive but it's very enjoyable for the most part. Feel bad for the devs, especially for how much extra effort they went through to make that fantastic Starfox content, which never feels tacked on but a proper part of the story.

I guess the whole toy thing confused a lot of people and turned them away. I just have the digital version and it's pretty sweet.

Edited on by C-Chakra

Switch Friend Code: SW-8045-4533-8325

HobbitGamer

@C-Chakra Agreed, it’s a very high quality title, and would probably have done a bit better without the toy confusion. It feels like a cross of Mass Effect 1 and StarLancer for me, which is great.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

C-Chakra

@HobbitGamer I will have to finish it sometime, I got maybe 60% of the way through with Fox but got sidetracked. Then deleted it because I needed the space. But I just picked up a 400gb SD card the other day on Amazon for around 80 aud (50 usd?), which I thought was a total bargain... not sure lol, but it seemed like a good deal. So i've got every game on there now and thought i'd give Starlink another crack. Started a new game because I couldn't remember where I was or how to play, but this time played as Levi. It's pretty damn cool how much effort they put in for the dialogue alone, it felt like a legit, different adventure because every conversation seemed completely different.

Imo, when the game is going for those rediculously discounted prices, it's probably one of the best bargains you can find on the Switch.

Edited on by C-Chakra

Switch Friend Code: SW-8045-4533-8325

HobbitGamer

@C-Chakra It’s definitely worth finishing. Agree on the dialogue, it’s even like that with the Crimson Moon dlc, too.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

jump

This might be answered already in the thread but how good is the game without the toys? I'm thinking of taking a punt on it with the current sale.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Balta666

@jump it is absolutely fine. I would say is kind of a pain to use the toys itself as they are very bulky. But even if you buy it physically you have access to the goods digitally too and you can swap things on the menu.

It is a fun even if a bit repetitive game and worth if you find it for a fair price (not the case at launch)

Edited on by Balta666

DarkRula

@jump It's better without the toys, as it means no fiddling around to swap things, and you get more in the digital starter set vs the physical starter set for the same price. There were sales that slashed its price to below £20. No idea if those are still running, but if they are you're getting a great bargin for it.

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

jump

@DarkRula @Balta666 ta.

I did fancy playing when it was released but I really didn’t fancy having to get the toys and stuff for it too. The Star Fox stuff looks really cool and is big reason I want it.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

DarkRula

Just flying around as Fox is enough of a reason to buy into it if you're a Star Fox fan, since all the characters that appear are accurately portrayed.

DarkRula

Losermagnet

@jump my main issue with the game is that the characters, aside from Fox and crew, are flat and poorly incorporated into the narrative. The cast is huge between playable and side characters and the game is written so that every character has to contribute one line of dialogue when something happens (even if it's repeating what we already know). Some are insufferable (there's one that is essentially an obnoxious Youtube star) Luckily, with Fox it's easy(er) to ignore everybody else. I guess other complaints would be that there isn't much enemy or boss variety. And the toys were a bad idea in my opinion. Had they trimmed that nonsense down and focused on the story a bit more, I think it would've be fantastic. I owned it at launch, beat it, and sold it. But whenever the digital deluxe gets a big sale I always consider getting it again because the core game is fun and well done.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

jump

I've bought it, for £12.59 I can live with spending that if I don't enjoy it. Now I have to wait 8 hours for it download.

Nicolai wrote:

DarkRula

@jump The sale was still on, then. Hope you enjoy it. I've recently completed a third playthrough of it and enjoyed that just as much as the first.

DarkRula

jump

I’m about 2/3 hours in and I’m really enjoying this so far. The controls are nice and it manages space and the planets well without it feeling jarring when switching between them. The only complaint I have are the cut scenes, I’m not feeling the story and I’d rather just spend that time flying and fighting.

It feels like a shame this flopped/focussed on the toys to life gimmick as with a few teaks this could have been an evolutionary successor to Star Fox.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

kkslider5552000

I wonder if the team who made this have considered just making a Star Fox game.

I'm undecided if I mean "Starlink 2 but reworked into a Star Fox game" or "actually a Star Fox game that plays more like a Star Fox game", but either way it makes more sense than them trying to make a Starlink sequel.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

MarkL1987

Just bought the game last night off Best Buy's website before going to bed. Great deal too, only had to pay $15

Favorite Switch games:
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Super Mario Odyssey
Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
Friend code: SW-4428-8318-9398

Magician

This bump revolves around the continuing discussion of the Wii U and 3DS store closures. Now if you weren't already aware, the physical release of Starlink is worthless in regards to preservation. Half of the game is a required download. If Nintendo were ever to go out of business that cartridge would become worthless.

That said, I think the game is really fun. Perhaps even more so for open world fans, fans of space-themed games, or a Star Fox fan. And when I see the deluxe edition with all the ships, pilots, and weapons marked down 75% to $20...I think that's a solid price point. So even though I previously owned a physical copy along with all the toys (that I gave away), I had to snag a digital copy.

That 16.5GB download kind of hurts though.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

NintendoPete

Bought the Starter pack a couple of days ago for just 5 bucks (new). Best five bucks I've ever spent for a game. It's fun and Starfox is really well done. Play exclusively as Fox and don't care about extra weapons. Was also surprised that it can be played cooperatively - so I did with my son - great time! I even played rather that instead of Mario Bros Wonder

NintendoPete

dionysos283

@NintendoPete
I also just bought it a couple days ago for a few bucks. Haven't try it yet. But I'm looking forward to it!

dionysos283

Bolt_Strike

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I wonder if the team who made this have considered just making a Star Fox game.
I'm undecided if I mean "Starlink 2 but reworked into a Star Fox game" or "actually a Star Fox game that plays more like a Star Fox game", but either way it makes more sense than them trying to make a Starlink sequel.

Just saw this response now due to the bump.

I definitely think Nintendo should be considering adapting Star Fox itself to this gameplay style. Open space exploration games like this are fairly popular and this could be a great way to give Star Fox a bit more mainstream appeal and better sales. I'm not sure if this team will be the one they ask to work on it though. They have been fairly hesitant in licensing their IPs out to third party developers and the game didn't sell well (although that may be because of other factors such as the toys to life mechanics) so Ubisoft may not be willing to risk it. It may be more a matter of finding another team to make a spiritual successor to Starlink with Nintendo's take on this genre rather than getting the team that made Starlink to continue it with a similar playing Star Fox game.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic