Forums

Topic: Splatoon 2

Posts 4,781 to 4,800 of 5,014

Snatcher

@Northwind The fact that there is no SBMM is a big issue, there is a level 38 STAR vs level 6-13, They have added patches to this game so idk why they wont add SBMM, Nintendo is a freaky company some times.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

BenAV

@Snatcher There is SBMM. That's why there's seven low level players in that lobby at the same time. But there are other factors that go into matchmaking so it's not always that simple to always get a room with completely even levels. For all we know the level 38* might have joined the lobby through the friend list. And keep in mind that this is the just for fun Turf War mode. In the more competitive ranked mode, you get matched against players of the same rank.

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV | Twitter:

Snatcher

@BenAV Oh I heard northwind say there wasnt any or he sounded like there wasn't so its not all just randome?

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

BenAV

@Snatcher The game tries to match you against players of a similar level if it can. I'm level 53* so when I play turf war it's mostly other players with stars or at least 50+.

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV | Twitter:

BenAV

@Northwind The fact that you're not able to consistently find players near your level is probably just an indication of there not being a ton of low level players looking for matches at the same time these days compared to higher level players. Can't start a game without eight players so can't have all low level players if there aren't enough searching. If there was no SBMM then you'd be seeing a lot more higher level players than you are now.

Turf war is meant to be the casual just for fun mode so I don't think there's anything wrong with being able to jump in with your friends regardless of level. A lot of my friends are like level 40 or lower and it'd suck if I had no way to casually play with them outside of private lobbies.

BenAV

BenAV

@Northwind Private lobbies aren't viable when you only have 2-3 players. Taking away the ability to play with friends would be screwing over long-time players just for the sake of new players potentially having a slightly better experience for the first few dozen hours but even that's not guaranteed. Can always hone skills in the single player which is basically a glorified tutorial or the Octo Expansion which is really fun and has a bit of challenge to it. Or in Salmon Run which is PvE. Or just tough it out against the stronger players, try to learn what you're doing wrong and figure out what you can do better. They're more experience but they're not unbeatable.

Northwind wrote:

the difference is not just one of player skill, but equally one of avatar strength.

What do you mean? The difference in Splatoon is almost entirely player skill.

BenAV

gcunit

@Northwind You're running into the same issues I've had with the game. Games with players scoring 0p happen WAY too often.

I don't mind opponents camping (it's to be expected in turf war), I just dislike the respawn delay time. Spending half a game respawning over and over is the opposite of fun.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Snatcher

@gcunit I thought it was me just me.

BenAV

@gcunit If a player scores 0p then that's an indication that they dropped connection or rage quit half way through. It sucks when it happens as it's almost impossible to win 3v4 most of the time but that's online play for you I guess.

I get the frustration about the respawn time but it's a necessary evil as without it there wouldn't be enough penalty for getting splatted.

Edited on by BenAV

BenAV

Snatcher

@Northwind Good luck getting nintendo to drop the price on that game, they still sell wii u games for 60 bucks.

BenAV

Northwind wrote:

@BenAV, I can tell you’ve never tried to hone PvP skills in PvE modes. To a very large extent, they’re not comparable (in basically any game). The opposition you face in PvE modes generally translates almost zero to PvP modes, and this game is no exception.

@Northwind Umm, yeah I have. In Splatoon 2. I played a ton of Salmon Run early on and I think it's actually extremely valuable in learning a lot of the fundamentals of the game. It won't help much when it comes at aiming at human players but it's great for honing your movement, ink management and situational awareness as Salmon Run on the higher difficulties gets super hectic and staying alive requires you to get pretty good at a lot of the basics. Plus it's the best way to earn food tickets, drink tickets and chunks to use towards creating your perfect gear so two birds with one stone.

BenAV

BenAV

@Northwind If you're using an Inkbrush or even something like the Splattershot Jr then aiming is hardly a factor in the first place. Skills like being able to read the situation well, being able to move around comfortably while avoiding attacks and being able to react quickly are a lot more important to escaping from that situation than being able to aim is. If you were using a long range weapon like a Charger or Splatling then that'd be a different story.

BenAV

gcunit

I think what it boils down to is that Splatoon, like pretty much all online shooters, doesn't really cater for casual players. If you wanna play online matches, you've just got to accept the nature of the beast - it's competitive and predominantly populated by players who have played it a lot, which makes it tough for casual players and latecomers.

This is why I don't really play online shooters. I don't have the time or inclination to commit to them enough. Splatoon looks like it's going to be different enough to the mainstream, because it's a Nintendo product, but it isn't. It could do with bots in turf war match making so that you can insist on only playing against opponents that are within a number (of your choosing) of levels either side of yours. Guess that's easier said than done with the turf war system.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

BenAV

@gcunit I'd like them to incorporate bots in the next game if they can, at least to replace players who drop. Some of the AI opponents in the Octo Expansion aren't half bad so it should be possible for them to implement I'd imagine.

BenAV

jump

I'm surprised there wasn't a bot option in the original game just incase it wasn't successful (which was a real possibility considering it was new IP and on an underselling console) thus lacking players but it's popularity proved it didn't need to do that.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

SquidOnTheRise

@Northwind

From that picture you showed, it looks like theres one idiot in your team who plays for the kills instead of playing for the team

Notice the 0p of the last player? It means none of his ink was seen on the map at the end of the game

That was probably the biggest issue

Edited on by SquidOnTheRise

SquidOnTheRise

BenAV

@SquidOnTheRise Nah, that just means they dropped out of the game before it ended.

BenAV

SquidOnTheRise

@BenAV

It could mean that too, but that would be another explanation of why they lost so bad

Edited on by SquidOnTheRise

SquidOnTheRise

BenAV

@SquidOnTheRise To score 0p in a game without dropping, you'd need to ink literally nothing (your number doesn't go back down if someone inks over your ink). Almost impossible to get two splats without inking anything so it's definitely a drop. Most likely a rage quit due to them all being stuck at the spawn.

BenAV

jump

@SquidOnTheRise the 0 points player used their special and splatted people so they took an active part in the game, based on those metrics alone they were the best player in the team. The game just zeroes out people's point if they discount.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic