Forums

Topic: Shin Megami Tensei V Thread

Posts 401 to 420 of 449

alpacatears

@Pizzamorg I had the same jump in difficulty too but some of the side quests actually helped me to push up in the levels without grinding too much.
I don't want to give any spoilers by mistake so I'll just say that some of the big bosses for the main quest part you're entering have shared weaknesses. If you prep your team well, you could definitely hold your own at a bit of a lower level to them.

alpacatears

alpacatears

@RR529 Once demons are in your party at any point, they are already in your compendium. The registering to the compendium basically overwrites the original demon to keep all the moves and stats that they have when you register them again.

This is very handy when you have given a demon a lot of essences to give them strong moves or if they have any skills like null force, null physical etc. that you may want to pass on to others as part of fusion

alpacatears

Ralizah

Lvl 73 now and basically destroying everything in my path. I'm kind of putting off the main story progression a bit since I'm afraid I'm nearing the end. Around 55% compendium completion.

edit: It's now 4:30 AM. Where has the time gone? I feel like I could pump another hour or two in tonight, but maybe that isn't the best idea.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing
Shin Megami Tensei V (NS)

Octane_st1m

Not to spoil anything but I just encountered something unexpected. Only happened once so far but if you have a specific demon in your party then trigger a negotiation with another specific demon, you can trigger a special dialogue between them. I've only played Nocturne in the mainline and I'm pretty sure this wasn't a feature there. Could this be an easter egg of some sort?

Octane_st1m

Ralizah

@Octane_st1m Special conversations (these unique convos between demons with a mythological connection) were in Nocturne as well.

Currently Playing

Octane_st1m

@Ralizah I didn't know about this. Going to boot up my save later and look for a guide on this. Really odd I didn't get a single one on my entire playthrough. Thanks!

Octane_st1m

yegs88

I've just got to the boss in the shipping crates on the second map. And proceeded to get annihilated time after time. Stuck some resistances on and am still getting obliterated. Don't suppose there is a demon who has immunity to its attacks, is there? Any other tips? Or should I just give in, turn the difficulty down and hopefully have much less trouble? Where about in the game did people starting on Hard, turn the difficulty down?

yegs88

Kimyonaakuma

@yegs88 Is that the...errr....."french one"? (Trying to stay spoiler free).

That one completely obliterated my team the first time, all I could do was some more exploring and grinding. Adding Kaya-no-Hime helped as well.
I haven't struggled with the next two or three bosses after that, so maybe it's just a difficult one?

-I found the fight too easy after grinding so maybe there is a technique to it, I wouldn't know. My demons are quite limited at this point.

Edited on by Kimyonaakuma

Kimyonaakuma

yegs88

@Kimyonaakuma - That's the one. Admittedly I ignored pretty much everyone on the way to him, so a lot of levelling up was missed. Will look at Kaya-no-Hime to see if it can help but yeah I reckon a bit of grinding and maybe someone who can lower his attack could be my priority. Thanks.

yegs88

Ralizah

@yegs88 Buff your defense, lower his attack, use ice and light magic. Use the appropriate dampener to cause him to lose a turn after he starts gathering magatsuhi. Make sure none of your team is weak to lightning.

Currently Playing

JaxonH

I’m not nearly as far as you guys. I’m Level 17, I’ve beaten the first boss that’s weak to ice, and I didn’t really have a problem with them. I knew to bring a team strong against Dark with Ice Attacks, though. Knowledge is so crucial in this game.

I then fought a lion faced enemy for a side quest and he was pretty tough, but I still took him out on the turn he was gathering magatsuhi before he could finish me off.

I am playing on Casual too, though. But so far, it feels tough but fair (well, fair if you’ve sorted what to do and who to bring, otherwise you’re going to get annihilated lol).

PLAYING
NS: Shin Megami Tensei V, MH Rise
3DS:
Steam: Forza Horizon 5
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: MH Rise Sunbreak, Bayonetta 3, Splatoon 3, Triangle Strategy, Zelda BotW 2, Metroid Prime 4

Jesus is Lord.

Ralizah

@JaxonH Casual is fine, IMO. You still have to engage with the mechanics, but the damage multipliers are slightly stacked in your favor, so it gives some breathing room to new players.

Safety mode is a bad joke, though.

I probably would have switched back to Hard in late zone two if I had the choice, but Normal difficulty is still satisfying enough. My eventual NG+ playthrough can be be when I fully tackle Hard mode.

Currently Playing

yegs88

@Ralizah - Thanks. I'll see who I can add to the team that can boost everyone's defence. I do remember seeing someone had it in my little collection. Didn't even know he had electric attacks, he just destroys me with his regular ones, so will bear that in mind too.

Something that has caught me out a few times: if the enemy is aggravated and running towards me and I hit it, sometimes it is the enemy's turn first even if I hit it. Am I doing something wrong or is it simply chance?

yegs88

Ralizah

@yegs88 Also, check his level. SMT is more reliant on loadouts and resistances than leveling when it comes to winning fights, but If you're significantly underleveled (5+ lower levels lower than him, for example), that'll impact how much damage you're giving and receiving. You can still win fights while underleveled if you make creative use of the combat system, of course, but it's easier if your characters aren't getting bodied by his attacks. Also, you might want to fuse demons with higher vitality so they can withstand his strong physical attacks.

Oh, and you're going into the fight with a full magatsuhi gauge, right? Starting the battle off with a strong offense is important if you're struggling. The faster you kill him, the less time he has to kill you.

If the enemy notices you (you'll see an exclamation point above their head), then the enemy has the possibility of getting the first strike in, regardless of whether you hit first or not. Although the odds seem to be heavily weighted in your favor if you hit them versus them hitting you.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing

Pizzamorg

I'm hearing stories a patch is coming which will reduce the number of wind puzzles in the castle? They were annoying as ***** for sure, but I don't know if they're so annoying they need to be patched out?

My @ handle everywhere is Pizzamorg.
My Friend Code is: SW-6997-6872-4381
Switch games currently playing: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Ring Fit Adventure. Pokemon Shield. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle.

Snaplocket

@Ralizah The level-scaled damage is one of the two most baffling design decisions in this game. The other being unable to get 8 skill slots until the final area.

Edited on by Snaplocket

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

RR529

I can't wait until I'm done with the second area. The garish red lighting effect is starting to grate on me.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Kimyonaakuma

I just finished the second area last night, was fully expecting to be underleveled and destroyed but I got through it with no issues.

...I'm not sure if I'm happy or disappointed about that, but at least I get to see more of Tokyo

Kimyonaakuma

JasmineDragon

@yegs88 i just beat that guy after three failed attempts. He is tough.

I've never been able to hide spoilers on NL, so this is a POTENTIAL SPOILER
Right before you meet the loup-garou, you meet Jack Frost. There's a reason he shows up there. You definitely want him on your team.
END SPOILER

One thing I like about this game, whenever I'm bashing my head against a wall, I backtrack a little bit and find that the game was giving me exactly what I needed to progress.

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic