Forums

Topic: Shin Megami Tensei V Thread

Posts 421 to 440 of 544

JaxonH

Ya, it really doesn't matter who "did it first". I see no relevance for such arguments.

I hear the same thing when Monster Hunter is brought up, when referring to other games in the "MH-like genre". Oftentimes it's, "but Monster Hunter didn't create the genre, this unknown obscure no-name game did it first". And it's like... who cares. People are familiar with the genre thanks to Monster Hunter. It's the game which popularized the genre. Similar to how Castlevania helped popularize Metroidvanias long after Metroid did it, yet it's still in the name "Metroid-VANIA".

Pokemon is what popularized the genre. So it's an apt comparison for reference to ensure the the concept is communicated in a way people are most likely to comprehend. Though the phrase, "monster collecting genre" also seems to be quite common.

PLAYING
NS: MH Rise
Steam: MH Rise
XSX: Gears 5
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR 2022
NS: MH Rise Sunbreak, AC Ezio Collection, Bayonetta 3, Splatoon 3, Triangle Strategy, Kirby

Jesus is Lord.

CactusMan

Video game history is nice to. Not fit for game suggestions though. But i don´t think Game Freak wasn´t inspired by Megami Tensei. Game Freak made Mendel Palace in 1989 witch was clearly inspired by Bomberman, nothing wrong with some inspiration.

Yesterday on my second play trough I finished a side-quest and got slain by a level 70 dragon after finishing it. I had to decline there. Didn´t really notice in the first play trough because of doing it late game. A heads up would´ve been nice there

Bamm!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6657-1971-4787

alpacatears

@CactusMan I remember that mission, but in the dragons defense, he did ask if you were ready 😂

alpacatears

VoidofLight

So uh.. seems like SMT V is connected to Nocturne after all. I just made it to the Tokyo Diet Building, and stumbled upon one of the save terminals from Nocturne. I only know this because my friend played a little for me on stream. My question is now, should I drop the game, and play Nocturne before continuing, or should I keep on going? I don't know how heavily the plot of the game will rely on Nocturne, or if this is just a slight reference to say they're connected.

Edited on by VoidofLight

Currently Playing: SoulCalibur VI, Professor Layton and the curious village, SMT V.

Ralizah

@VoidofLight It doesn't. Everything you need to know about the story (what little there is) is all in this game. There are lots of little references to Nocturne probably for the same reason SMT IV/IV:A had lots of little references to SMT I and II: because it's a spiritual successor of sorts.

Currently Playing
Spyro the Dragon remake (PS4)

VoidofLight

@Ralizah Ah, alright!

Currently Playing: SoulCalibur VI, Professor Layton and the curious village, SMT V.

CactusMan

@Meteoroid The Demons at Okushima asked me if I was prepared for battle after accepting the follow up quest, Witch I declined and went saving at the Return Pillar. That level 70 Dragon went straight into whooping my ass.

Edited on by CactusMan

Bamm!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6657-1971-4787

Ralizah

@Snaplocket Yep. What matters is the scope and construction of an experience. Nobody expects much from a Mario story. Hell, SMT III even gets more of a pass despite having even less in the way of explicit storytelling because it's constructed like a sort of mystery you're supposed to figure out through the course of the game.

There's little sense of mystery to SMT V's main plot, which is what hurts it most.

Currently Playing

Pizzamorg

What I liked about SMT V’s story, personally, is that it just feels like you’re going through arcs of a wider shounen anime series. It has real Jujutsu Kaisen vibes, which itself is probably heavily inspired by anime like Bleach and Atlus titles in general. Like anyone who says the story is bad isn’t wrong necessarily, but I just kinda liked how unashamedly “anime” it all was, for a lack of a better term. It ain’t high art, it is pure junk food, but it is the kind of junk food I really vibe with.

My @ handle everywhere is Pizzamorg.
My Friend Code is: SW-6997-6872-4381
Switch games currently playing: Wrestling Empire. Monster Hunter GU. RingFit Adventure. Loop Hero. Skyward Sword HD.
PC games currently playing: Monster Hunter Rise. Expeditions Rome. Wolcen.

Ralizah

@Pizzamorg It's not bad. Just underdeveloped. Like, the Lahmu arc would have been a lot more impactful if we'd known the girl in question for more than five minutes beforehand.

Although, admittedly, Dazai's hilarious hat scene maybe wasn't the best bit of monologuing I've ever seen.

@Snaplocket There's actually a shocking amount of content in those side-quests that feel more like main story content. I don't necessarily mind the concept of making story development optional, but, like I said, if they wanted to go that route, they should have leaned harder in that direction and avoided having a linear, cutscene-driven main narrative.

And yeah, this is only the second game in the series I've played where there's actually a plot development that justifies the series' name.

Currently Playing

RR529

Falling a bit behind some others here, but I think I just cleared the second area after about 30 hours of playtime. It took near every force & light shard/gems I had, but I beat Lahmu.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Ralizah

The steelbook launch edition is $37 on GameStop.

That sale is... wow.

Currently Playing

Ralizah

@Snaplocket That's why I buy almost nothing aside from Nintendo first-party stuff at launch anymore. Although this got a steep discount shockingly quickly even for an Atlus game. I wonder if that's a bad sign for sales?

Given I cleared 75+ hours before the sale ever went up, though, I don't mind too much, personally. I got my money's worth (or would have if I hadn't also popped for the Fall of Man edition, lol; now if that starts dropping in price, I might cry a little bit).

You just never really know if you should wait or not. I waited a few weeks seeing if Persona Q2 would drop in price a bit, and then the price skyrocketed because it had a low print run.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing

AegisPrime

Is this a good starting point for the series or should I pick up another one on the Switch?

Play 13 Sentinels:Aegis Rim, read Mushishi and Scum's Wish, support indies.

VoidofLight

@AegisPrime Never played SMT before this entry, and I'd say it's a pretty good starting point. There's a pretty massive tutorial teaching people how to play these types of games.

Pizzamorg

Be ready, SMT V is as brutally hard as any other in the series, but it is a way better entry point than Nocturne was. Nocturne was full of truly antiquated mechanics and a complete lack of any real tutorialisation whatsoever, V tries to bring things into more modern times and does actually try and ease you in and give you the information you need, at least to make a good foundation.

And as far as I know those are your only choices on Switch, unless you want to include Mirage Sessions.

Switch games currently playing: Wrestling Empire. Monster Hunter GU. RingFit Adventure. Loop Hero. Skyward Sword HD.

Ralizah

@AegisPrime This is the best starting point on Switch. Far more accessible and user-friendly than Nocturne.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing

AegisPrime

Alright, V it is. Will be looking at that gamestop deal.

Thanks.

Play 13 Sentinels:Aegis Rim, read Mushishi and Scum's Wish, support indies.

VoidofLight

So far, V hasn't been all that hard. Might be since I'm only 9 hours into it and on casual, but it's not that hard. I'd compare it to Octopath without the massive grind.

Pizzamorg

I guess it depends on your definition of hard.

I guess the moment to moment isn’t necessarily hard, but your whole team can be potentially wiped in one turn and that risk is present with every enemy you face in the game, potentially. You can usually prepare after the first time, but at least early on this made me lose chunks of progress and left me feeling extremely frustrated.

Bosses are more artificially hard I suppose, with them having heaps and heaps of health, just being absolute sponges, forcing you into a war of attrition.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic