Forums

Topic: Shin Megami Tensei V Thread

Posts 381 to 400 of 434

Snaplocket

@Ralizah It seems weird that the game had more framerate drops in the dungeon then the wide open areas which barely had any drops at all.

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

Ralizah

@Snaplocket Well, the dungeon is a lot denser, so there's probably more visual effects happening on-screen at once. Open world's draw distance isn't great most of the time, so there's more performance wiggle room, I imagine.

The third zone also gets a little choppy at times, although it's nowhere near as noticeable as it was in the dungeon.

Currently Playing
Shin Megami Tensei V (NS)

Pizzamorg

I noticed poor performance in all of the open world areas, especially in handheld, but it wasn’t ever consistent. Just moments of slowdown and chugging and then fine again. It is also weird the whole game is kinda I dunno how to put it… like smudgy looking, maybe? Like you pop in other games on the system and they might not even look visually as good, but they just look crispier and brighter. I dunno how to explain it.

My @ handle everywhere is Pizzamorg.
My Friend Code is: SW-6997-6872-4381
Switch games currently playing: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Shin Megami Tensei V. Pokemon Shield.
Non-Switch games I am currently playing: Life is Strange: True Colors.

Snaplocket

@Pizzamorg It wasn't that bad. It ran fine 80 to 90% of the time and the smudgy look was intentional to make it look like and old grainy film.

Pizzamorg

If it is intentional, then that is even more of a shame. All of that beautiful art design buried under a thick layer of muddiness like we’re back in the 360 era. Hopefully if it does come to PC, you can either turn the filter off or people will make mods to do so. I assume some part of that filter is to do with hardware limitations, as SMT V is able to get a lot of demons on the screen at once when you compare it to say S/S where Pokemon appear when you are like one step in front of them and everything else is empty space. And it isn’t even like S/S runs much better, either, so in some regards SMT V’s Switch performance while not always good, is still sort of a miracle in context. I don’t think any game makes my Switch’s fans louder than SMT V lol. This game hammers the Switch and shows what it is capable of.

Switch games currently playing: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Shin Megami Tensei V. Pokemon Shield.

Ralizah

@Pizzamorg UE4 game running at a low resolution with a lot of visual effects on display is probably the reason. It looks a lot like DQXI S in handheld mode, which was also on UE 4 and a demanding port.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing

CactusMan

@Pizzamorg They are just looking what is posible for another Etrian Odyssey entry. Corridors filled to the brim, nice lighting effects from the windows. That why they are pushing it in both settings.

Bamm!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6657-1971-4787

JaxonH

Shin Megami Tensei V Steelbook Edition back in stock AND discounted to $49.99

Shin Megami Tensei V Special Edition back in stock for $119.99 on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Shin-Megami-Tensei-Steelbook-Launch-Ni...

PLAYING
NS: Shin Megami Tensei V, MH Rise
3DS:
Steam: Forza Horizon 5
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: MH Rise Sunbreak, Bayonetta 3, Splatoon 3, Triangle Strategy, Zelda BotW 2, Metroid Prime 4

Jesus is Lord.

Snaplocket

@Pizzamorg Personally, I thought the filter was really cool and added to the whole "destroyed world" aspect and battles were silky smooth.

Pizzamorg

Yeah the slowdown and chugging didn't really affect the battles, just the over world stuff. I'm glad you liked the filter but I didn't personally.

Octane_st1m

@Ralizah @JasmineDragon I'm at 37% around the start of the Ginza area now. I think you can get through the game with a small variety of demons. Especially with an abundance of essences, a lot of them will become redundant. I'm making a somewhat conscious effort of fusing as much as I can to make the most out of the game. Actually been wasting a lot of time just running around, taking to NPCs and taking screenshots as well. The game is just so good

Octane_st1m

RR529

As long as you register them to the compendium beforehand, is it safe to release demons in your party?

I still have party slots taken up by early area demons such as a Daemon, Obariyon (I know I misspelled that), Mermaid, & even a Slime that are too weak to be fused into anything worthwhile, so I figure it might be better off if I cut them loose and recruit some newer demons.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Ralizah

The level spike going into the fourth area of Da'at is nuts. I went from being overleveled and murdering everything easily (even bosses) to being significantly underleveled and getting bodied by random demons I run into on the streets.

First time I've had to grind in this game.

@RR529 Yes, but if they can be fused into ANYTHING stronger, it's worth doing. Or if you can fuse them into unregistered demons, weak or not. You can only take full advantage of the Reverse Compendium Fusion option if you consciously fill it out as much as possible. A surprising number of powerful demons often have weaker demons as part of their fusion recipes.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing

Pizzamorg

You talking about the area where you need the three keys? Cause yeah, cause I was on lower difficulties I was always behind on levels but I got to that section and I was suddenly like almost 30 levels behind, I think. Again, on the lower difficulties, it doesn’t really matter too much but on safety difficulty you’re basically not really playing the game. It was at this point I sort of gave up on SMT V without really knowing it at the time. I will probably come back and finish it eventually, but my choice is to either have the game basically play itself on safety all the way through to overcome the level divide or to go back to earlier zones and just grind it out. Neither option sounds fun much, but I think a 30+ level grind sounds utterly miserable.

Pizzamorg

CactusMan wrote:

Did you mean to post this in here?

Snaplocket

@Pizzamorg It only takes about a half hour of grinding if you explored the whole area and know where the 72 level enemies are.

Ralizah

@Pizzamorg 30 levels sounds insane. The enemies in this zone are around lvl 65, so that means you were around... level 35 in the Demon King's castle? How did you not run into trouble being so underleveled in that entire area?

But yes, that's the area I mean. It took an hour or two, but I'm a comparable level to enemies now. Just surprised how enemies went from mid-50s to mid-60s in the course of one area transition.

Currently Playing

Ralizah

Wow, epic 25 minute boss fight just now that reminded me why I love this series. Everyone in my party was way underleveled for the fight, which meant I was doing way less damage than I should have been, but a strategic use of certain magatsuhi skills and targeted switching of certain demons allowed me to keep the pressure on and defeat the enemy.

Nobody does turn-based boss fights better than Atlus.

Currently Playing

Pizzamorg

Snaplocket wrote:

@Pizzamorg It only takes about a half hour of grinding if you explored the whole area and know where the 72 level enemies are.

Half an hour to go up 30 levels?

Ralizah wrote:

@Pizzamorg 30 levels sounds insane. The enemies in this zone are around lvl 65, so that means you were around... level 35 in the Demon King's castle? How did you not run into trouble being so underleveled in that entire area?

But yes, that's the area I mean. It took an hour or two, but I'm a comparable level to enemies now. Just surprised how enemies went from mid-50s to mid-60s in the course of one area transition.

I guess the different keys are different levels, as the enemies I am finding are pushing 80. And yeah, when I was at Devil’s Castle I was like late 40s I think? And then by the end was mid 50s. I am not sure if it is just lots of level spiking or just different XP balancing at lower difficulties, but after a certain point I’ve basically always been a little behind on levels. It isn’t like I’ve been rushing. I have been taking my time exploring, fighting, negotiating and fusing but somehow could just never catch back up after a certain point.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic