Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Rumor and Speculation Thread

Posts 961 to 980 of 1,622

sixrings

Asking for a friend but How would Nintendo know people want certain things like gba or n64 on NSO. Every time some one complains on this site people get defensive and say hey you should call up Nintendo and directly tell them because there is no way they have a pulse on what’s going on in comment sections or YouTube. As if reading comment sections to gauge interest or feedback is some sort of gigantic chore for a billion dollar company. Or did the people who want other consoles on nso go through the proper channels to make their requests known?

In the old days there was a comment card on the back of Nintendo power magazines. How do they do it in 2021? Anyone have an uncle inside?

Edited on by sixrings

sixrings

NintendoByNature

Sounds like your friend needs to donate $100 to nate the hate if he wants that answer

NintendoByNature

skywake

ThanosReXXX wrote:

And this statement also doesn't seem to allude to that, looking at it as objectively as possible:
“when it comes to Switch, the console is redefining what a console life cycle can look like, and the vibrancy of that overall life cycle with a strong cadence of content.”

If I read "redefining what a console life cycle can look like", then to me, that simply translates to that the Switch is going to be here for much longer than any of their previous consoles, but not necessarily that they're going to upgrade it to a new model. And currently, there also isn't any essential need for it either, seeing as all current models are still selling like crazy. They're probably going to overtake Wii sales numbers before long, if they keep this up.

Ok, you keep saying this, but if it's an extended generation there will be hardware revisions that up the spec. It's just the nature of the beast. It's not about improving sales, although it doesn't hurt, it's about the cost of the higher spec falling. At the same price point there is an exponential growth in the spec on the core components but there are fixed costs which don't move. There is a point where it doesn't make sense to even bother with the lower spec anymore.

It's why there's a massive gap in spec between a laptop that costs (excuse Australian pricing) $600AU and $800AU but not much of a gap between one at $1100AU and $1500AU. It's also why there's a minimum spec laptop that is sold at retail. Regardless of how fast the CPU is or how much RAM you have you're still paying for the keyboard, trackpad, screen, battery, storage, chassis etc. Eventually you get to a point where it just doesn't make sense to sell the lower spec anymore. Apparently that point is ~$350AU with 4GB RAM, 64GB of flash a 2 year old Celeron and ac WiFi.

Take the RAM in the Switch as an example. The Switch is $450AU RRP and it has 4GB of DDR4. The price of the Switch hasn't changed since launch but the price of RAM has. Now they don't pay retail prices but in 2017 at retail 4GB of notebook DDR4 was $50AU and 8GB was $100AU. But at retail it's now, even with inflated component prices, $40AU for 4GB and $60AU for 8GB. A theoretical $50 extra cost on a $450 console? Yeah, that stings. A $20 extra cost when you've already saved $10? Not so much. And you can do the same thing across the board. OLED vs LCD, newer Tegra vs old Tegra etc

It just doesn't make sense to keep selling the same spec for a decade. Upping the spec costs them less than they'd gain from having the higher spec. Mostly because, relative to the cost of the entire console, it doesn't really cost that much at all.

Edited on by skywake

Some Aussie musics: Pond, TFS, Genesis Owusu
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

ThanosReXXX

@skywake Upgrading models in extended generations has obviously been done before, but besides (again) the 3DS, never very drastically so. We can also look to the Xbox 360 or PS3 for that matter: they also released "lite" versions, or elite, slim or whatever label they gave them, but all they offered was slightly better chip sets, quieter fans, faster disc drives and smaller form factors, but other than that, nothing that resembled a considerable upgrade.

Only since last gen did they come up with the Pro versions of consoles. But I expressly say "they", as in Microsoft and Sony, because Nintendo never does what the others do, so it doesn't HAVE to make sense to any of us, perhaps that is where you get stuck in your thought process, because they've always done their own thing, so what might seem logical and natural to us, might very well not be what Nintendo is ultimately going to do.

And as mentioned before, there's also no imminent need to upgrade the hardware, because the current versions are still selling so well, so adding for example another two years to their natural life cycle in their current forms, really isn't all that big of a stretch, if you take a moment to really think about that.

But as mentioned before, I'm not completely discounting everything. It could still happen, but to say that it should happen because it's the only thing that seems to make sense, is way off the mark, far as I'm concerned, taking all factors and who and what Nintendo are and what their philosophy is, into account...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

skywake

ThanosReXXX wrote:

@skywake Upgrading models in extended generations has obviously been done before, but besides (again) the 3DS, never very drastically so.

Well, it's never been done before.... except for the New 3DS (RAM + CPU/GPU), DSi (RAM + CPU), DS Memory Pak (RAM), Gameboy Color (RAM + CPU), N64 Expansion Pak (RAM), N64 DD (RAM + Media), SNES enhancement chips like SuperFX (Various), Satellaview (RAM + Media), Famicom Disk System (RAM + Media), and the 2019 Switch refresh (CPU/GPU). I mean except for those things Nintendo has never been known to do mid generation upgrades to things that would impact performance.

And anyways, it's not like 10 years without a hardware refresh is un-Nintendo. Afterall the longest Nintendo has gone without a new platform or major hardware revision before this was the Gameboy, at 8 years before the GBC and with a failed Virtual Boy after 6 years. And in the home console space 7 years if you take the Japan launch date for the NES only and completely ignore the Japan only Famicom Disk System after 3 years. We're at 5 years now so, definitely wouldn't be out of the ordinary to go another 5 without a significant refresh. Right?

I mean 10 years without any major refresh when there's a ready made SoC they could already use at 5 years and modern software development that can scale..... I mean that just makes sense you know? It's not like Nintendo has made a point of moving towards a more hardware agnostic approach to development. And besides, that's what Nintendo has always done because, you know, they're "unpredictable". Which means they always make cost-inefficient decisions about hardware, or something.

It's not like the majority of their executives are literally software developers, they never really consider what makes sense for developers. Afterall their previous President was most definitely not a CS major. Nintendo are all about not listening to what their developers are asking for right? I mean even their dry PR statements put it pretty plainly. They're just in it for the maximum returns, they're not really the company to consider how new technology can improve the gameplay experience.

we’re always looking at technology. And as we know, technology is constantly evolving and changing. And we’re always looking at what is coming to determine: How can it enhance and improve the gameplay experience? And whether that’s on a current platform, or whether that’s on a future platform, we’re always looking at that

Edited on by skywake

Some Aussie musics: Pond, TFS, Genesis Owusu
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

SwitchForce

Problem here is you can't keep going back to old tech if you want to get a New Switch out and as parts gets older they are less made and what is next. New updated hardware components that's just how tech works-it moves on and newer hardware will replace older hardware. You can only keep older hardware production going for so long before there are no parts and then what sit on your thumb and turn. That's why business fails-you plan for and get moving onto newer hardware if you want to exist and survive the Gaming scene. I doubt Nintendo is going to keep using outdated hardware for Newer upcoming hardware that be stupid and dumb and shooting yourself in the foot because those chipmaker will no longer make outdated chipsets/hardware. Think about it people-but that is lost in all these Rumors. Eventually comes they can't keep doing Old chipsets those will not longer be available and starting the New Hardware is the right move. That's is why rumor of New Switch exists older hardware will become obsolete as chip makers won't make them anymore.

Edited on by SwitchForce

SwitchForce

GrailUK

Has there been any further developments aside from Dougie Bowser MD reminding everyone that they are always looking at new hardware and pioneering game ideas.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

HotGoomba

@GrailUK It may be unveiled before the end of summer, based on Nintendo's past announcement of revisions.

Please, for the love of everything, don't click on the link on my profile.

You've been warned

HotGoomba

And if anyone is wondering why Nintendo didn't announce the Super Switch during E3, the pure reason is because of the Wii U. Because they don't want to repeat the Wii U's failure, they're now gonna announce new revisions and consoles following that year's E3 (maybe even before).

So don't get your hopes up, and if this isn't true, don't shoot me, I'm just the messanger. I'm just saying that if Nintendo is going to announce a new Switch revision, it will likely be in the summer or fall.

Likely not Winter because they have to release it before Christmas.

Edited on by HotGoomba

Please, for the love of everything, don't click on the link on my profile.

You've been warned

GrailUK

@HotGoomba I wonder if it's related to Microsoft's Switch announcement in Fall. (They better not be aquiring them hahah!) Way I see it is Nintendo is probably their best way to reach Japan.

link3710

@GrailUK There's no way they're acquiring them. But Nintendo + Microsoft currently function well in each other's weakspots, so working together could pay off big time if they can make it happen.

link3710

Grumblevolcano

Nintendo has their annual investor meeting on June 29th (there's quarterly investor meetings and an annual investor meeting each year) so there's a decent chance of announcement before then.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

GrailUK

@link3710 Man, it's a shame their conversation got omitted from the Epic / Apple courtcase. Boggles my mind how they can make a partnership work (it's easier to think it can't happen haha)

GrailUK

@Grumblevolcano If they don't reveal it beforehand, I can imagine they are going to get inundated with questions regarding it lol. 'Hey, Nintendo, can you divulge to your competitors what your plans are?' 'No.'

GrailUK

Just dawned on me. Advance Wars gets a reboot.

Nintendo Switch Advance confirmed hee hee.

GrailUK

@Slowdive 6.99". Man, so much for the 7" rumours...

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic