Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Rumor and Speculation Thread

Posts 2,021 to 2,040 of 4,146

MarioBrickLayer

@Haruki_NLI There seems to be a difference with the Metroid Prime rumours, Nate The Hate and others are saying people they know have seen the game, which if you compare to say the MK9 rumours/speculation that (until the DLC) were purely based upon the fact that we hadn't had a new mainline Mario Kart game since 2014.

MarioBrickLayer

TSR3

@ProPAIN The Zelda release date doesn't change my opinion that the next Switch model, with DLSS support, will come out next year sometime between Q2 and Q3. That view is not based on any software release, but hardware manufacturing schedules. Nvidia's latest Tegra Orin SoC is out now, it's being sent to customers (mostly automotive) and Jetson kits available for anyone to order now. From various leaks we know that developers already have dev kits (and have had since at least 2021). We also know from stolen data (Lapsu$ hack) Nvidia has been working on updated graphics for Nintendo using Ampere based graphics, with specs somewhere in the middle of the two available Orin platforms. Everything is already in motion, and holidays 2023 is the latest this system could come out. Any later and Nintendo will be missing their SoC fab manufacturing windows, and have a bunch of desperate devs with completed games they're desperate to release to recoup revenue.

TSR3

GrailUK

I reckon we will see a Switch 2 in about 2-3 years time. That gives the Switch a 2 year crossover period, putting it in line with how long Nintendo reckon the Switch will last (another 4 years they reckon). The tech that is rumoured right now will more than likely be able to be put in a console for under 300 quid. The Switch will probably see a price cut by then. In the meantime, they can benefit riding through any sort of recession selling games to a massive install base and avoid any chip shortages in the foreseeable. If it comes sooner than that, then bonus. Day one for me. But selling 150K units last week in Japan and Splatoon 3 still top of the charts in the UK (and I'm sure it will be massive in the US too) is quite amazing. Now, I am always wrong, so hopefully it gets announced this year O.<

Edited on by GrailUK

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Grumblevolcano

@Haruki_NLI @MarioBrickLayer I think the product is real but the timing is fake. It doesn't make sense to just have Prime 4 on its own with no way to easily play any of the other Prime games and currently the easiest way to play the Prime games are to own a Wii U and buy from the eshop but that's shutting down in March 2023.

Even before all the rumours surrounding Game Awards 2018, it was a common prediction ever since Nintendo used Game Awards 2017 to reveal ports of Bayonetta 1+2 as well as announce Bayonetta 3 that they'd use older Prime games on Switch to prepare people for Prime 4.

However, they're not going to release anything the same day as Pokemon Scarlet/Violet though. Announce in November and release in December, March or April feels the most likely. In the case of announce in November and release in December, the absence in the September Direct would likely be to give Bayonetta 3 the best chance it can.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

BruceCM

Yeah, I'm happy with my current Lite, so I'd probably prefer them not to do an OLED version, really, @MarioBrickLayer ....

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Magician

I think the best credence to the Switch Pro discussion still revolves around the reports of Nvidia ceasing production the Tegra X1 chip early last year. You can't assemble more Switches at the factory level without the main component. But then it's suggested Nintendo procured enough X1s to produce an additional 40m-50m (about three years worth of) Switches. Which is why we saw that report on the expenditure of parts a few months ago.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/report-nvidia-to-end-production-of...

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/06/nintendo-appears-to...

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

gcunit

Switch HAC-001 was March 2017.

Switch HAC-001(01) was September 2019.

Switch OLED was October 2021.

Switch Lite has sold fairly well, but given it's always been the cheaper, slightly more child-friendly model and has only sold about a quarter of the units the non-Lite Switch has sold, I can see Nintendo releasing a Lite OLED, but it's not going to contribute much to sustaining momentum.

So it just seems logical to expect another iteration of the main Switch hardware, or a full-on successor, or some other significant piece of hardware capable of maintaing sales momentum, in the next two years.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Fox-McCloud

No way they wait until 2026 to release new hardware.

Fox-McCloud

GrailUK

@Fox-McCloud Well there were reports of Nintendo finally having an idea for Mario Kart 9 late last year. 3 years to make. Launch title. O.<

Kermit1doesmath

The New Super Nintendo Switch 2 Deluxe Pro Series OLED XL will come out tomorrow.

dysgraphia awareness human

GrailUK

@Kermit1 Now you've just jinxed it

SwitchForce

Magician wrote:

I think the best credence to the Switch Pro discussion still revolves around the reports of Nvidia ceasing production the Tegra X1 chip early last year. You can't assemble more Switches at the factory level without the main component. But then it's suggested Nintendo procured enough X1s to produce an additional 40m-50m (about three years worth of) Switches. Which is why we saw that report on the expenditure of parts a few months ago.
https://www.pcmag.com/news/report-nvidia-to-end-production-of...

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/06/nintendo-appears-to...

True but that could be for repairs and current models for other markets as well since those numbers will never get fulfilled. So you would need a ready supply for repairs as well as replacement boards for defective units. So there is more then one take from building a inventory as well. And with current gpu set to expire you Have to wonder what are they not telling us.

SwitchForce

Magician

MarioBrickLayer wrote:

What am I getting for the extra cash in a half step up?!

@MarioBrickLayer

The speculation consensus is that it'll be a pared down Nvidia T234, code T239. I'll link the stat line for the T234 below. Cut the values of the T234 in half and you get a ballpark idea of what it'll be. Basically a portable base model PS4, but will likely be underclocked to keep power consumption low.
https://gadgetversus.com/graphics-card/nvidia-tegra-x1-maxwel...

Edited on by Magician

Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

skywake

@Magician
Like any new hardware launch it would likely come with a price drop on the old hardware. Like it always does. The Switch is overpriced in the market for what it is and it's only going to become moreso. That's the entire point of new hardware and why it has always happened almost like clockwork since the 80s. New hardware makes sense even before you consider the leaks and roadmap from NVidia

And speaking of, "Nintendo had 40-50mill X1s"? Wow, such many for a console that in 2020 moved almost 30mill units. One that your arguments would say is going to create a second wind out of nowhere. Also who said that new hardware means no more OG hardware sold? Or that the X1s will go in the Switch as it is? Previous consoles have put the original SoC on the board of new hardware for BC early on

I think an X1 for BC is unlikely and unnecessary but not impossible. But I fully expect them to do a GBA micro when new hardware launches to keep a budget option available. Because new hardware would launch as a premium product, probably in the ballpark of the OLED

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Fox-McCloud

@GrailUK Does Nintendo always launch a new console with Mario Kart?

I just can't see them waiting till 2025 or 2026 to bring out a new console.

2024 would be my guess but how far ahead will Sony and Microsoft be by then?

Fox-McCloud

Magician

Fox-McCloud wrote:

Does Nintendo always launch a new console with Mario Kart?

@Fox_McCloud

No Nintendo platform has ever launched with a new Mario Kart.

From the SNES to the Wii U, Mario Kart usually comes a year or two after a new platform launch.

Madao

There was movement on the Nvidia side in regards to Tegra this month: https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/xj69i...

Nvidia are updating the linux kernel to add support for a Tegra239. As the reddit post points to, there was a leak by the regular Nvidia leaker here: https://twitter.com/kopite7kimi/status/1403200552473829377 which mentioned that Nintendo would use T239, a customised T234.

So that at least confirms that the leaker knew what they were talking about in regards to a custom T239 existing. If it is actually going to be used by Nintendo or not remains to be seen.

Madao

Haruki_NLI

@Madao Everything that the leaked NVN2 API can do would be facilitated by the T239 chip.

So while not confirmed it seems fairly likely Nintendo will opt for this new chipset.

Double the RAM, way faster read speeds, slightly more power draw, and at full pelt this thing could surpass the PS4 and Steam Deck quite comfortably.

Of course, Nintendo may disable some things that aren't needed, or perhaps underclock it like they did with the X1 for power reasons.

But given Nvidia and Nintendo will likely design whatever the new chip is from scratch almost, maybe that was always a consideration. Hard to say the exact specifics of what this thing will be, but we definitely know its not just relegated to self driving cars anymore.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

MarioBrickLayer

An important question is how they will handle backwards compatibility. MVG did an interesting video on it ages ago and he said the only way to do it without patching every game would be to put an X1 in the new Switch alongside the new (T239) chip.

MarioBrickLayer

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic