Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Online Subscription Service Thread

Posts 2,061 to 2,080 of 2,232

StuTwo

@MarioBrickLayer Honestly - another Sega system on premium tier. Master System or GameGear most likely. I'd say that a small selection of Saturn games is maybe more likely than DS.

After that I'd guess the next most likely is the PC Engine.

DS would pose a lot of challenges. Aside from the dual screen setup it also presents the problem that the touch screen was a stylus touch screen. Using fingers lacks the same precision and many of the games would be far less satisfying to play. This is particularly an issue because many DS games were very experimental and did lean in to using the stylus. DS was Nintendo's first console with online play built in... and it's all dead and gone now (and was finicky to say the least when it was alive). Bringing it back would be a technical issue for an app in the vein of the ones we've seen so far.

On top of this - DS games haven't aged well graphically. They have all of the visual disadvantages of N64 games without the proviso that they were pushing the boundaries of what could be done.

Personally I'd much rather we see select DS games brought back in a heavily reworked form. We already have a couple of notable ones (e.g. The World Ends With You) and more on the way (Ghost Trick). A Castlevania DS collection would lose next to nothing in the translation and would be an instant buy for almost anyone. Other DS games could be adapted for single screen play without a stylus but adapted is the key word there. Even on Wii U virtual console (with the huge advantages of a second screen and a stylus) DS was rough.

A 3DS app is in some ways an easier proposition because the games were more conventional and made less substantial gameplay use of the second screen.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Grumblevolcano

@MarioBrickLayer I think it'll be the Genesis add-ons like the SEGA CD. SEGA for the most part only seems to care about the Genesis when it comes to retro games from their own consoles. See how for example the Sonic Adventure games can only be played on Xbox in terms of modern systems and that's only because Xbox focused a lot on backwards compatibility since 2015 meanwhile there's multiple Genesis collections, 2 Genesis Minis and collections like Sonic Origins.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

skywake

Master System and Game Gear. I don't think there's much room for any of Nintendo's other platforms. In terms of being technically achievable I'd put Wii and GC above DS and 3DS but the Wii/GC era has enough value still that I don't think they'd go full NSO with them

I've said for a while but, Wii and GC titiles could be given out as bonuses. Not unlike how they give the DLC in the NSO+ tier. Like here's Pikmin 1, exclusive to and free to keep for active NSO+ subs in March and $20US after

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Eel

I just ordered a Hyperkin Admiral on amazon… It’s one of those modern N64 controller alternatives that can be used with the Switch.

Has anyone here tried it before? I’m hoping it will make playing N64 games feel a little bit lore authentic.

It seems the mode they have for playing N64 on the switch (the one that maps the right stick to the c-buttons) assigns other buttons the d-pad (home, -, X and Y), so you can’t have both things at the same time. I know not many N64 games use the dpad, so hopefully it won’t be much of a problem.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Rudolf

I'm playing again Link's Awakening DX (in Japanese version, without the censorship), but it's a shame that it's impossible to play it like it was on classical Game Boy, in black and white (the original cartridge was compatible to classical Game Boy). Unless I didn't see the option to change that?

Rudolf

skywake

@Eel @Rudolf
It's obviously Link's Awakening DX not the original Link's Awakening so while technically it could be played on the original GB I'm not sure why you'd want that. If I was to guess I'd think that all of the "Type B"/"Dual" Gameboy cartridges will use the GBC pallets as that was the way they were intended to be played. Which is why the same is true for Game & Watch Gallery 3 which also sits in this category

Although I expect people may become slightly more vocal about wanting to play these games in the "original" black/white when the Pokemon games come out. Because technically Yellow, Gold, Silver & Pinball were all Type B cartridges. And I suspect a lot of people remember them as original GB games. Probably even more to the point, they might be a bit confused if Yellow lacks the option to play in "original GB mode" while Red/Blue have that option

Eel

It was like that on the 3DS already, yellow was locked to GBC mode, while red and blue had the green and b&w palettes (which both looked kinda ugly on the 3DS, I’m glad the GB games look much clearer here)

On that subject, I would expect a potential release of red and blue here would use their all-red and all-blue palettes; as they would display in a game boy color- not the full super game boy style palette from yellow.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

skywake

@Eel
Yeah, personally I don't really have much interest in the GB/Pocket modes outside of the novelty of it. My nostalgia for the GB era is pretty strong around '95-'02. The day I got my GBC was the day my OG Gameboy went in a box. I have nostalgia for the way these games played on the GBC, I have zero interest in playing them like it's an OG Gameboy

Eel

@skywake I appreciate that they kept the B&W mode… Works well for games with ugly palettes in Color mode…

coughKirbycough

Though I do wish they allowed us to set it on a per-game basis, or made it possible to change it without exiting the game.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

StuTwo

Maybe I've missed it but one feature that definitely seems absent is the option to change the pallet on start up. The original GBC had 12 different options that you could access by holding the d-pad and buttons when you switched the console on.

Some of those were better than the default for certain games IMO.

The ability to change pallets on the fly would also be very welcome.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Rudolf

@skywake It's just because I think DX's colours are ugly (the original black and white pallets is much more charming), but I have interest in new contents (and bug fixes, or different and more consistent owl's hints in dungeons) like the photograph's quest (only the "colour dungeon" was inaccessible on classical Game Boy, which was stupid because the puzzles were completely doable with gray's shades).

Edited on by Rudolf

Rudolf

card-crunch78

I make the most of my NSO expansion pass by taking a lot of pics in games that use it along with taking pics in N64 and GBA games. That way, years from now, I can show these to my nieces and nephews and brag that their uncle defeated Gruntilda or finished Metroid Fusion 100%.

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

card-crunch78

So far the only times I play online are in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Splatoon 3.

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

JaxonH

Metroid Fusion.

It's here.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Fizza

Our first batch of Game Boy games post-launch, along with a game each for SNES and NES!

You better BELIEVE I'm playing Dream Land 2 and Xievous.

Edited on by Fizza

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Yoshi's Story (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

kkslider5552000

I think Nintendo added these two Gameboy games next, specifically just to not be predictable by adding one of the games they said they would be adding.

...by that I mean its much easier to emulate gameboy games so its much easier to believe they would get smaller games done between the 4 games they actually advertised, compared to N64 where it clearly takes them the entire month+ to get them out (and even then only like 14 games in were they able to avoid inventing a new glitch for the game).

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

MarioVillager92

I was kind of hoping they'd add something a bit... better for the SNES app, I guess you could say. Super Mario RPG would have been fantastic, of course, but even on the more obscure side, there's plenty of hidden gems that they could've picked. Does anyone remember the game DoReMi Fantasy? That was a Super Famicom exclusive platformer, and Nintendo Life gave it a 9 out of 10. I'd love to try it out on NSO, I unfortunately missed out on it on the Wii VC. Shoot-em-ups like Axelay and Space Megaforce would've been cool to have, too.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic