Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Online Subscription Service Thread

Posts 2,081 to 2,100 of 2,232

Grumblevolcano

I think the timing is interesting:

• March 8th/9th - GBA (Metroid Fusion)
  • March 15th/16th - Base NSO (4 games)

Meanwhile N64 is usually 1 a month though none came in February and Genesis is usually a batch every 3 months with the last batch in December. So it could be a case that we get those 2 consoles in the next 2 weeks.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Fizza

Anyone here know how to set up an Online Play Invite for the NSO apps? Gonna be playing some Mario Party in a bit and would love to set up a room myself but am a bit puzzled as to how to actually set it up to begin with. Haven't found anything on Youtube in regards to it hence why I'm asking here XD

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Yoshi's Story (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

MarioVillager92

@Fizza I think you're given an option to send play invites when you start up the online play.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

Fizza

@MarioLover92 Thanks! Found the option after a bit of tinkering.

MarioVillager92

@Fizza Yeah no problem, I'll see you soon!

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

skywake

Potentially interesting issue RE: Pokemon on NSO. Seems the Australian Gov is looking at making all games that simulate gambling R18+ restricted, literally the highest age rating. And any game that has loot boxes forced to be at least M15+ (note not MA15+ restricted)

I'd imagine the original Pokemon games would firmly fit into the former category. Which makes me wonder if Nintendo would want a game that's now R18+ on NSO. Because it'd preaumably mean the NSO would then also become R18+.....

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

grizzgolf

If I buy an Online Sub for $50 this morning I can play all the old games and new games online?

grizzgolf

MarioBrickLayer

Hypothetical question, if you could choose between Nintendo adding Mario 35 or a new system (not Gamecube) to the expansion tier of NSO, which would you choose? You can pick any SEGA or Atari system or maybe the Nintendo DS.

If you pick Mario 35, are you annoyed that it's not on the standard tier?

MarioBrickLayer

skywake

Untitled

DS would be nice but technically I think it'd be a more difficult system to put on NSO than the GC. The GC could easily exist it just probably wouldn't be a single app. I could see GC being part of the expansion tier but in a "game-by-game" kind of sense. Because you can literally use GC controllers on the Switch. With DS but ...... you can't really get around the, you know, two screens.....

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Master System being added to the basic tier. And maybe Turbo Graphics/NeoGeo to the expansion tier

Edited on by skywake

Fizza

As much as I'm looking forward to Stadium coming out next week (and I can't stress this enough: I'm REALLY looking forward to playing Stadium for the very first time), I hope it doesn't impact the release of games on services like Game Boy and especially GBA. I know we just got games for both last month (and they'll presumably alternate between those two and N64 + Mega Drive over the coming months now) but god man, after the first post-launch GBA game in Metroid Fusion wowed me to the extent that it did, I'm just exceptionally hungry for more (PLEASE GIVE ME AMAZING MIRROR AND GOLDEN SUN SOON I'M BEGGING YOU).
Untitled

Edited on by Fizza

Cotillion

skywake wrote:

With DS but ...... you can't really get around the, you know, two screens.....

This can still be done. 3rd party emulators that have for a long time aside, one example I know for sure was Capcom putting the Mega Man ZX titles on modern systems. The workaround might not be the same as the DS, but it gets the job done and I think they did a pretty decent job of it.

Cotillion

TheBigBlue

Yeah, DS is still possible. I watched the DS VC trailer for the Wii U a while back. You had a few options for using the service on Wii U. One of them was holding the game pad sideways and have the two screens display on there, cause the gamepad had touchscreen capability. Little known fact, but the switch also has touchscreen compatibility in handheld mode. So unfortunately, if DS came to switch, I think the games would only be playable in handheld, but that’s not a problem for many who have switch kites and regular switch models. Although it will definitely be some time before the DS. People think the GameCube is the next NSO service, so why wasn’t it available on the Wii U? It would make sense for Nintendo to just remaster and rerelease a Buncha GameCube games instead like Metroid Prime Remastered.

Wait, why do we need a signature? Eh, I don’t know. Here’s your signature.

skywake

@Cotillion @TheBigBlue
DS can be done on devices other than the DS but it's far from optimal. The Wii U was probably the best placed device to do it since it had two screens and the second one was a resistive touch screen with a stylus. The Switch is a single screen device and while it does have a touch screen it's capacitive, so not stylus friendly, and it's not available when docked

There are certainly some games where it would work pretty well. But I think there are far more where it wouldn't really translate.

TheBigBlue wrote:

People think the GameCube is the next NSO service, so why wasn’t it available on the Wii U?

Well for one the Wii U had Wii games purchasable the eShop and Wii games are technically pretty similar to Gamecube titles. The problem was that those games booted you into Wii compatibility mode and Nintendo had already excluded GC games from backwards compatibility. Not entirely sure why they did that, maybe to reduce the surface area for exploits. Maybe because for proper BC you would need memory card slots and controller ports

With the Switch? We already got Sunshine released in 3D AllStars. We know they have an emulator that works well on the Switch hardware. Seems like a much easier problem to solve, and a much more valuable addition, than DS games. And the "they can make more money from remasters" bit doesn't really fly. Half of the NES library was first released as Arcade Archives, Super Mario 64 was in 3D All Stars, Link's Awakening HD happened

So yeah, I think Gamecube makes sense before DS. Though I also think that it'd make sense to go into some of the other 8/16bit consoles first. Master System being the obvious one

TheBigBlue

The Japanese NSO has much better exclusives than the NA ones. They have Custom Robo. We have Pokémon Puzzle League. Yeah, what a steal. They have Shin Megami Tensei 1 and 2 (don’t know if they suck or not but they are just examples). We have Kid Icarus as an exclusive at least, small W. They have Harvest Moon, Fire Emblem Genealogy Of The Holy War, and Fire Emblem Mystery of the Emblem. We have earthworm friggin Jim.

I dunno, maybe I’m just bitter, but they got some pretty neat exclusives. I’m not jumping for joy and saying “HAHA JAPAN, we have ‘claymates’ and ‘Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine’ and you DONT”.

WoomyNNYes

grizzgolf wrote:

If I buy an Online Sub for $50 this morning I can play all the old games and new games online?

@grizzgolf NSO subscription gives you access to all the games that have released for NSO. They've been slowly adding games & growing the library. So, yes, you can access the games that were put on NSO at the start. They haven't taken any games way.

Regular NSO subscription ($20/year):
NES, Super NES, and Game Boy collections.

NSO + Expansion subscription ($50/year):
NES, Super NES, Nintendo 64, SEGA Genesis, and Game Boy Advance collections.

Here's the NSO games FAQ page I got this from. There may be info elsewhere, but I found this first.
https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a...

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

dmcc0

@TheBigBlue I've no idea if any of these games are localised, but if you've got an NSO sub you can add a Japanese account to your Switch and download the Japanese NSO app if you are desperate to play them.

dmcc0

TheBigBlue

@dmcc0 actually I already did this for a test run. Don’t understand a lick of Japanese so I couldn’t really play the games I wanted to that were Japan exclusive. But I would’nt call myself that desperate. Not learning a whole new language just so I can play fire emblem

dmcc0

@TheBigBlue fair enough. Like I said, I wasn't sure if any were actually localised, but I guess that's probably why they are Japan exclusives in the first place. Could always emulate - there's likely English language patches out there somewhere for some of them.

dmcc0

kkslider5552000

TheBigBlue wrote:

The Japanese NSO has much better exclusives than the NA ones. They have Custom Robo. We have Pokémon Puzzle League. Yeah, what a steal. They have Shin Megami Tensei 1 and 2 (don’t know if they suck or not but they are just examples). We have Kid Icarus as an exclusive at least, small W. They have Harvest Moon, Fire Emblem Genealogy Of The Holy War, and Fire Emblem Mystery of the Emblem. We have earthworm friggin Jim.

I like how you think people like Kid Icarus more than Earthworm Jim and Pokemon Puzzle League.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Leon_Kennedy

Apologies if it’s already been posted, or if this isn’t the right place, but has anyone had any bother with games not saving, particularly Game Boy Advance? Happened to me a few times on Metroid Fusion on both the save and the save state. First time I thought I’d maybe just forgot but it’s definitely happened a few times now. Unless I’m just going mad…

Leon_Kennedy

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic