Topic: The Nintendo Switch Online Subscription Service Thread

Posts 2,041 to 2,060 of 2,232

Fizza

Ohhhhh it feels good to be back.
Untitled
(and on a big screen too!)

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Yoshi's Story (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

WoomyNNYes

@JaxonH I agree with your value assessment of NSO. I only want the expansion for Banjo Kazooie, which I have never played. $50 for only one year of access to the game is not attractive. (especially when Xbox One has had Rare Replay for purchase, for a VERY reasonable price ($29.99), since they console's launch.)

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

MarioVillager92

@1UP_MARIO As someone who has a lot of Virtual Console games across the Wii, 3DS, and Wii U, I kinda have to agree. It's so nice to have all of those games on the Switch, without having to buy them separately yet again, with the only trade-off being paying for their online service. I bought VC games less and less by the time the Wii U was around.

@WoomyNNYes If you're only interested in that one game, then yeah I wouldn't recommend the expansion pack, especially not the individual plan. When it comes to the expansion, I still think it's best to get the family membership, if you know folks who would want to play stuff like the N64 and GBA games.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

chipia

How do I change the color palette in GBC mode? This was possible on the original GBC while pressing different directions on the D-Pad, but I don't know how it works in NSO.

chipia

Eel

@chipia I don't think there's a way to pick one.

I do miss doing that though, basically no other official re-release of these games replicated that function.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Snatcher

@JaxonH Wait how much is it for the family plan? Is it ten or am I getting confused?

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

kkslider5552000

Snatcher wrote:

Wait how much is it for the family plan? Is it ten or am I getting confused?

It's 80 but its for 8 people so...10. In theory at least.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Snatcher

@kkslider5552000 Ah, I see.

The expansion for me has almost everything I could want, I just, need GameCube and I think it will be worth it, to me at least.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

MarioVillager92

I wonder if they're gonna have a Super Game Boy option for the Game Boy NSO app, assuming that Donkey Kong will make it in. That would be cool, honestly, I wasn't a fan of how it was all monochrome on the 3DS VC.

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

skywake

@MarioLover92
They do have an option to play GB games in GBC mode which effectively uses the default colour pallets. Which is what both the GBC and Super GB did. Unfortunately there's none of the enhanced borders or the ability to change the colour pallet. And definitely not any of the other SGB features, like the completely custom colour pallets

..... we do have "clap and point" in multiplayer mode like all of the other NSO apps. Which was something you could do with the SGB using the SNES Mouse if memory serves

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

MarioVillager92

@skywake Ah OK, I'm aware of the GBC mode and I was actually wondering if they'll add a SGB option later down the road. It is still cool that they have a color mode at all, unlike how the 3DS VC had monochrome displays for all original GB games. Looks like the GBC option's the next best thing, at least for now.

Grumblevolcano

It feels like too much is adding up for it not to be but we've got:

• Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 are coming to NSO sometime in 2023
  • Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow/Gold/Silver/Crystal delisted on 3DS in March
  • GB and GBA came to NSO this week and the launch lineups are limited compared to the other NSO consoles
  • There's likely a Pokemon Presents later this month

So I get the feeling in the Pokemon Presents there's a NSO section where:

• Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 are given release dates
  • Some combination of Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow/Gold/Silver/Crystal/Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/Fire Red/Leaf Green are announced for NSO

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

skywake

Yeah, I think Pokemon is more probable than some seem to think. Though the Pokemon Company isn't exactly the most consumer friendly entity lately. Even within the gaming and specifically the Nintendo sphere of these companies having their hands in our pockets. The Pokemon Company is comfortably one of the worst offenders lately. But you know, if Nintendo wants to pull people into NSO? Pokemon would draw a crowd far more than any other classic game

With that said, I think there are other potential draws on the scale of Goldeneye to be had here. Nintendo could very, very easily drop Mother 3 onto the GBA NSO. Now outside of places such as this? Probably doesn't tip the scales, certainly doesn't draw people in like Pokemon would. But within the Nintendo fandom I think we all know it's pretty much THE classic title. And it's people such as us who people go to when they ask if a Nintendo thing is worth the money

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

JaxonH

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Snatcher wrote:

Wait how much is it for the family plan? Is it ten or am I getting confused?

It's 80 but its for 8 people so...10. In theory at least.

More than just theory. I'm paying $10/yr, as is my brother, as we both pooled together with @Eel to form a group of 8.

I highly recommend family plan. It's incredible how low cost it is when you pool together.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Don

@Grumblevolcano
I hope you are right on the NSO Gen 1-3 Pokémon games for the next Pokémon Presents. Although they really should just sell the roms instead of adding them to NSO. Imagine putting tons of hours into catching them all only to lose them all when NSO is eventually discontinued like the virtual console games getting taken down in a month.

Don

Dom_31

Ugh, tried Wario Land 3 because I haven't in ages and I think I'll just leave it at "trying" again... Like all those other times.

I love 2, 4 is great, always enjoyed 1 despite its quirks... But I think I actually dislike 3. It's so needlessly convoluted and a** backwards in many ways, it legitimately confuses me when people say it's the best one because I can't find any redeeming qualities the others don't also have in this.

Definitely prefer the more straightforward approaches of...every other game in the series.

Time to charge my 3ds so I can play WL2 for the hundredth time

Edited on by Dom_31

Dom_31

Eel

It’s a great take on the metroidvania genre, with bite size level objectives to fit the portable form factor, and gameplay that suits the graphics and level design.

Perhaps it’s because I played it first, but it’s my favorite game in the series.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

StuTwo

I genuinely think that GB games might be a better fit for playing on Switch than - say - SNES or N64 - because even though the graphics are obviously far behind the curve (even for the time) they are at their best, from a gameplay perspective, so immediate and clearly designed with short play sessions in mind. They were also generally a bit easier than 8-bit games - especially the later GBC games that were contempary with the N64.

Of course something like Earthbound is a better game than any of the games on the GB app but it's not something I'm just going to start playing on a whim - it's a 20 hour commitment than I might choose to make at some point but when I do it'll be a conscious decision. I'm highly unlikely to make that choice for some of the other long & "meaty" games that I've never played before.

GameBoy Tetris though? There's no commitment there and it's fun for 5 minutes as a pallet cleanser (with the potential to still drag you in for longer).

I'd also hazard a guess that Nintendo has more chance of ultimately assembling a fairly comprehensive library on the GB app than on the NES or SNES. The Castlevania and MegaMan games on NES were always going to be sold in their own collections - and this has ultimately been much better for everyone - but I don't think the equivalent games on GameBoy hold as much cultural capital (I know that 2 of the Castlevania games are in the M2 collection). A clutch of MegaMan games would fill the app out nicely.

Quite happy with it in the early days.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

MarioBrickLayer

If Nintendo were to add another system to NSO, what do you think it would be?

I never had a DS, but I wondered if that could be a possibility? I never had one, so I don't know how much of a problem the dual screen or touch would be? The screens weren't very big though?

I'm not saying it needs it right now, there are loads of GB and GBA games I want to play!

If it does happen, I'm assuming it won't be after the launch of the new system - I'm assuming NSO will be cross gen...

MarioBrickLayer

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic