Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Online Subscription Service Thread

Posts 1,261 to 1,280 of 2,230

Magician

Super Kirby Clash, 65 hours deep, 741/900 missions complete. Feels as though I'm nearing the end. Although I have the best gear there are several gear-specific missions, so I'm ham-strung by gem apples. Spending 140 gem apples a day now equates to one mission completion every couple days, it's a slow process.

But then...AC:NH arrives on Friday, and that game will be my life for several months.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

n30s

Nintendo Switch Online is good only if you want to play online multiplayer. They have a good collection of NES and SNES games, but I think only some nostalgic will try them as some of them have really old graphics and also there are a lot of new games on the market place (we lack only the time to play them all).
On the other hand the service isn’t that expensive.

n30s

DonnyH

On Xbox and PS, they have an additional service (paid) that gives you access to dozens of AAA titles which can be downloaded and played. For example, I am using Xbox One and you get three free games a month (no conditions) with the normal Xbox Live subscription and if you opt for Game Pass (the additional paid service), you get access to dozens of games like Red Dead Redemption, BioShock Collection, Halo, Mortal Kombat, etc.

Maybe Nintendo needs to implement something like that? You get the classic games with the normal subscription, but an added cost could get you access to current games. I have a Switch (someone sent it to me), but I'm debating whether I want to hook it up or not. About the only games I would want to play today would be the Starfox series (I guess only SNES 1 & 2 are available) and Mario Kart. Given the unreal demand for these consoles, I'm torn between just selling it to someone (at the MSRP - not going to try and rip people off) or play around with it. My daughter has the Lite version, but I'm not sure if she would want to play together, etc.

DonnyH

toiletduck

I've been playing A Link To The Past these past few weeks. Over the years I think I've started a playthrough over 10 times now, but his will be the first time that I'm actually able to finish it. I must admit that I probably wouldn't have been able to do so without internet guides and the rewind function.

One annoying thing: I am missing one heart piece. I've double checked all locations, but I can't figure out which one I've missed I'm 99% percent sure that I've picked up the 'random' ones. The treasure field I did at the end when I was completing the hearts and the chest game I played again ~60 times just to be sure. (even though I'm quite positive that I already picked up the right chest in the beginning of the game).

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

rallydefault

@toiletduck
It's such an awesome game, and I've been playing back through it slowly (I'm in the dark world water dungeon right now). Close second favorite Zelda right after Ocarina for me. I still have my SUPER old game guide from the 90s - it's in rough shape, but yea, it's been so long that I'll definitely need to use it to get all the heart pieces.

I've been finding it kind of amusing how I've been so used to contemporary "open world" games that every time I open the world map I'm looking for more icons: heart pieces I've found, symbols for shops, etc. lol It's like I've been trained to expect those things, but it's refreshing to go back to a game that gives you relatively little on your map.

rallydefault

toiletduck

@rallydefault yeah I totally recognize that! I've been wanting to put marks on my map all the time, lol!

I may pick up OOT on my 3DS next. Haven't played that machine in a while and I've never really tried OOT. I've never played it in the old days and now I have a hard time getting used to the static camera in 3D. I guess I'll get over that after a few hours so who knows...

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

BlueGhost

@Ninfan I just expect them to raise the price over time, just like other gaming companies have. There is no reason to charge for the privilege of having your console connect to your internet connection. The fact that we have accepted this as normal is troubling, but nothing new.

BlueGhost

Ninfan

@DonnyH you were saying in you comments about PlayStation and Xbox giving games for free with there online service. Do Sony give free ps1games and do Xbox give away any original Xbox games.

Ninfan

Ninfan

BlueGhost wrote:

@Ninfan I just expect them to raise the price over time, just like other gaming companies have. There is no reason to charge for the privilege of having your console connect to your internet connection. The fact that we have accepted this as normal is troubling, but nothing new.

@BlueGhost I think we're paying to use Nintendo's servers. I think a server is around a 10 story building. 20 euro a year is a good price to use them.

Ninfan

DonnyH

@Ninfan

The way it works is this - X Box Live gives you three free games a month (you do not get to choose, it's just whatever they provide). Additionally, with their Game Pass service, you get access to tons of games and that does include several original X Box titles. Playstation offers a similar service as well where you get a few free games per month and then you can also pay for their Playstation Now service which gives you access to tons of games including older PS1 titles, etc. You pay extra for both services on top of the usual monthly membership, but it's worth it in my opinion.

DonnyH

Ninfan

@DonnyH i have PS4 but i never got into it much. did you say that they give ps1 games sometimes , does that mean i can get PS1 game as digital download , but not in software form?

Ninfan

Maaryotyme

Ninfan wrote:

i can get PS1 game as digital download , but not in software form?

It will be in software form and will be a digital download.

Maaryotyme

Cotillion

Ninfan wrote:

I think we're paying to use Nintendo's servers. I think a server is around a 10 story building. 20 euro a year is a good price to use them.

@Ninfan Use them for what? The vast majority of online games are peer-to-peer, meaning you are connected to other consoles and not going through a server. Large scale games, like MMOs, use servers, but the majority of games with 8 or less players at a time are P2P.
@Blueghost pretty well nailed it here, we're paying for the privilege of connecting the system to the internet (plus whatever extra 'features' are provided, like Tetris99 or the NES/SNES or whatever the other 2 give like free games and whatnot).

Cotillion

Ninfan

La-weejee wrote:

Ninfan wrote:

i can get PS1 game as digital download , but not in software form?

It will be in software form and will be a digital download.

@La-weejee Sorry I ment to say can I get them digital download on PS5

Ninfan

shazbot

@Cotillion Knowing Nintendo's typical MO, they're charging us roughly what MicroSoft is charging them for the backbone services and infrastructure, plus a profit margin factored across their expected number of users.

That said, I am disappointed with the slow development of the infrastructure. Nintendo has been behind the curve on web-integration since GCN days, and, though I appreciate the approach of offering a library of games available for subscribers, the inconsistency of releases and generational restrictions is disappointing.

XBOX & Playstation, despite the quality of their 'free' games, are consistent on a monthly basis of providing new content and recency of their titles. Both companies are providing games up to 2 generations back, on their service.

Nintendo's hap-hazard approach to releases, and lack of more recent support (N64, GCN, GB, GBA, etc.) when they have a much richer backlog of platforms than their competitors AND proven porting ability as witnessed via previous virtual consoles is very disappointing. That said, at $20/year it's no enough for me to throw a hissy fit over, just leave a sour taste in my mouth.

I'm sure having a curated Nintendo handheld and console catalog via the service alone would warrant a tier-upgrade for most people ($30-50/year?).

shazbot

rockodoodle

DonnyH wrote:

On Xbox and PS, they have an additional service (paid) that gives you access to dozens of AAA titles which can be downloaded and played. For example, I am using Xbox One and you get three free games a month (no conditions) with the normal Xbox Live subscription and if you opt for Game Pass (the additional paid service), you get access to dozens of games like Red Dead Redemption, BioShock Collection, Halo, Mortal Kombat, etc.

Maybe Nintendo needs to implement something like that? You get the classic games with the normal subscription, but an added cost could get you access to current games. I have a Switch (someone sent it to me), but I'm debating whether I want to hook it up or not. About the only games I would want to play today would be the Starfox series (I guess only SNES 1 & 2 are available) and Mario Kart. Given the unreal demand for these consoles, I'm torn between just selling it to someone (at the MSRP - not going to try and rip people off) or play around with it. My daughter has the Lite version, but I'm not sure if she would want to play together, etc.

I have been torn about getting Game Pass. It really looks like an awesome deal. Problem is that I really cannot play it much by family uses that TV. I just got an iPad and Apple Arcade is only $5 a month. I don’t care for tablet gaming, but that is so cheap and might at least serve as a way to sample games before I take the plunge on the Switch. Same deal with Game Pass.

IMO, Nintendo should explore offering more games with a few developers, even make some of their own games like they have on 3ds like Pocket Jockey, Rusty’s Baseball, Tank Game, Street Pass etc. and charge a bit more.

rockodoodle

Loonatic

I need a little help. I've been google searching forever about the Family plan. I bought a second Switch for my sister's house. I created a 2nd individual account for that Switch and I want to invite that account as a family member on my main account so they can get online features. There's kids there and I have to create a user on the second Switch for each one. Will additional users be able to use the online features like cloud saves and multiplayer? Does each user need to be linked to a Nintendo account? I'm confused, Thank you!

Loonatic

bixente

I subscribe to Nintendo Online for Tetris 99.

Friend code

SW-0378-6005-8904

rallydefault

I just wanna say I'm so pumped for Donkey Kong Country finally coming to Online. I even got the SNES controller from the Nintendo store (finally in stock!)

rallydefault

MarioVillager92

@Loonatic You'll need to make a family group and add those you wish to add to it. Each one needs a Nintendo Account, as well. After you make a family group, it's only a matter of knowing the person's email associated with with their Nintendo Account, then adding it. They will have to watch for an email from Nintendo though, so they can get in your family group. You can do all that on Nintendo's website.

Once you get a family membership, everyone in your family group, including you, will indeed have access to the online multiplayer and cloud saves. Hope this helped.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic