Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch: USB-C and Portable Battery Recommendations

Posts 201 to 220 of 225

Iwao

Wow, I followed wha has been said to this topic a lot but reading Blathers's link makes me worried to use my brand new Anker 26 800 pd!

What do you think everyone? Has everyone used any Powerbank recently and noticed any issues?

Iwao

Blathers

@Iwao
Look at the power rating of it: a power bank that uses under 20W will be fine. I don't think anyone has reported power banks breaking their Switches.
If you're only using USB-A to USB-C you are garunteed not to have any problems, but using USB-C to USB-C is how you'll get a faster charge rate.
Devices that use Qualcomm Quick Charge won't work with the Switch

Stay safe, kids: Make sure to save frequently during multiplayer, and always use a stylus!

3DS Friend Code: 1848-2106-5430

Iwao

@Blathers

Yes, that's what I understood from that complicated article: USB-A to USB-C is safe but USB-A to USB-C, "we don't know so much!" kinda of info, which is not really reassuring.

The thing is like those very popular PD powerbank such as RavPower or Anker have been used for months now by users and if there has been any issue, we probably would have heard about that earlier, even before the update 5.0.

I guess it's just Paranoia that made me write in here he he, but it would be nice to hear from others consumers they, indeed, nerver had issue with that kind of "new" technology that is PD.

Iwao

Iwao

JaxonH, I just have a question for you:

I read you on another topic on Reddit saying that cable included with portable battery, included the 26 800 pd from Anker are not safe to use.

I was surprised to read that, considering the price of the powerbank itself, are you using another cable and if yes which one?

Thank you!

Iwao

Iwao

@JaxonH

Has someone read this article from last September?

I use the 26 800pd and I thought the charge was really quick, but after reading this article, I'm confused!

What do you think?

https://gtrusted.com/review/how-the-nintendo-switch-console-g...

The powerbank would draw only 4.5W??

JaxonH, you tested this powerbank fully, you ,ever got that resultat right? Is this article totally wrong??

Iwao

JaxonH

@Iwao
I have no idea what they're talking about. Mine charges super fast also. Same rate as the official charger

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Iwao

@JaxonH

Right?!

The only important sentence I noticed what this one:

"Note the Console is just left alone being charged without the Joy-Con Controllers being attached or any active gameplay."

Is that the reason the Swith was drawing that less power?

Edited on by Iwao

Iwao

LarsLad

@JaxonH Don't settle for anything that outputs less than 15v 3amp chargers/ power banks that also have pass through charging. This way you can get Max charging speeds on the go and use it as a power adapter for your dock at the same time as you are charging your power bank! And always use 56 ohm usb C to usb C cables.

Edited on by LarsLad

LarsLad

JaxonH

@LarsLad
You dont need 56k ohm resistor cables when you use USB-C to USB-C. That's only for USB-A to C, since the A end isnt smart like the C end.

And I only buy USB-C PD which by definition goes higher than the standard 15W of normal USB-C. Dont need one to charge dock. Never take the dock with me, and the one at home has an official charger plugged in all the time.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

LarsLad

@JaxonH oh I didn't realize 56 ohms was only for a and b, thanks for that.

I am kind of in a unique situation, well not so unique imo since pretty much anyone travelling with a switch and a dock might be interested. But I use my power pack as power source for my dock when I travel to save that little bit of bag space. If you're just looking for a charge then anything around 20 watts works.

Edit: After doing some research on usb c and 56 ohm it appears that a 56 ohm rating for usb c is still VERY IMPORTANT! Be careful not to destroy your equipment with cheap cables.

Edit 2: after more research I found that usb c doesn't need to be 56 ohm like Jason said. Lol

Edited on by LarsLad

LarsLad

thugpipe

I recently purchased the Jackery SuperCharge 20000 PD from Amazon if you put in the coupon code Jackey3 it knocks off $20us. the key point is that it is USB C Power Delivery 3.0 and I can confirm that it will power up the switch IN IT's DOCK!!! it outputs 15V @ 3A so now I can use my switch with my battery powered pico projector and the battery cost me about $50us. its very cool

thugpipe

ValhallaOutcast

What output is required to charge the switch while playing

Friend Code SW-4365-4821-7317

thugpipe

@ValhallaOutcast it all depends on how fast you want that charge to happen. You can charge your switch while playing with your typical 5v @ 2.4a usb A port from most power banks but it will be slow if you are playing a demanding game, like less than 10% per hour in my experience. If you get something like a Power Delivery battery with a usb C PD port it can provide 15v @ 1.6A you can charge at like 30-35% per hour while playing but these batteries cost a good bit more and some can push even higher current and can maybe charge it a bit faster, I am still evaluating my new Jackery battery which can do 15v @ 3A. i recommend the Jackery but most batteries from anker, aukey, jackery, or the like will work.

thugpipe

ValhallaOutcast

Is 15v enough to power the dock so it can output to a portable monitor

Friend Code SW-4365-4821-7317

JaxonH

@ValhallaOutcast
At 3 amps, yes it should be powerful enough (in theory). But I can't guarantee you it will work because we have heard numerous reports of certain chargers and batteries not working with the dock. And I'm not sure anyone really understands why aside from Nintendo making their dock only work with the very specific voltage and amperage of their own charger.

But I believe thugpipe above claims he has found a charger that works to power the dock. If so then I would go with that one rather than risk buying an untested battery as far as powering the dock.

thugpipe

@ValhallaOutcast like @JaxonH says to power the dock is tricky I have the anker PD battery which I really like due to its size and features but it cannot power the docked switch. I have been able to power the switch in its dock with the two Jackery PD batteries, both are on sale today but you have to look through the images on amazon to find the discount codes for them. The big one (Supercharge 26800 PD) is $79us and the smaller one (Supercharge 20000 PD) is $49us but i am not sure where you are and if your region offers this deal.

coupon code: EZ6Z3LQC
https://www.amazon.com/Jackery-SuperCharge-26800mAh-Portable-...

coupon code: Jackery3
https://www.amazon.com/Jackery-SuperCharge-19200mAh-Portable-...

I hope this helps

thugpipe

Sorry, this topic has been locked.