Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch: USB-C and Portable Battery Recommendations

Posts 181 to 200 of 225

rjejr

@JaxonH Soooooo, I just bought a 5v - 3amp USB charger at Target -

https://www.target.com/p/type-c-micro-usb-quick-charge-3-0-2-...

Since it's USB A to C should I worry about frying the Switch? The adapter itself is weird, it says:
Output - 3.6v-6v = 3a or 6v-9v=2a or 9v-12v=1.5 amp. Which is weird if USB A isn't capable of doing 3A.

There is a Qualcom 3 stamp on the bottom, so it is 2 year old tech.

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/releases/2015/09/15/qualcomm-in...

You think I'm gonna burn out the Switch? Or will it just take longer to charge while my kids are playing it? I bacialy bought it just for my kids to be able to play while ti's plugged in in handheld mode, I'll mostly be playing in the dock. My car has built in 1amp USB which I dotn' think will charge it at all but I'm hoping will let my kids play it in the car. We have a few trips coming up and I'm ntoplannign on bringing the dock.

Somebody actually tested Qualcomm 3.0 quick charger, looks harmless I guess.

https://gtrusted.com/how-the-nintendo-switch-console-gets-cha...

I've done a bunch of other research on my own but you've been at this longer than I have so I figured I'd ask what you've come across.

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me

JaxonH

@rjejr
Honestly? It's a waste of money. You need USB-C PD (power delivery), at the very least you need normal USB-C to USB-C. That USB-A bottlenecks everything and not only will you lose charge while you play, not only will it take like 8 hours to charge while off, you also risk frying the device if the cable isn't right.

Do yourself a favor and get the Aukey Amp Duo USB-C PD Wall Charger and a USB-C to USB-C cable. Unless you just want a spare of the clunky official charger which doesn't really fit in cases well and where you can't detach the cable.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@rjejr

And so you know, general consensus is to avoid Qualcom with Switch. It's not compatible and you get zero benefit, and it could, theoretically, cause issues.

You want Aukey Amp Duo.

https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Charger-Delivery-Nintendo-Switch...

And any Amazon Basics USB-C to USB-C cable. Preferably the cheaper 2.0 cables since you don't care about data transfer speed, just getting a charge (And these handle up to 60W and max of 3A so you're covered). And Amazon Basics are IF certified and in spec

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-USB-Type-C-2-0-Cable/dp/B...

If you want to get a portable tripod down the road, then I recommend grabbing a right angle cable that can fit underneath

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0194X4MSO/ref=oh_aui_searc...

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

rjejr

@JaxonH Thanks for all that. I put the Aukey charger and 9' cable - I figure 9' for $10 is better than 6' for $8 - on my Amazon wishlist. My kids will hold it, no tripod, they've managed all these years w/ DS and 3DS.

Do you own your own meter like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Soondar%C2%AE-USB-Voltage-Current-Mult...

I'm thinking about buying a tester now just out of curiosity. We have 4 of those plug adaptors plugged into a power bar - my phone, my wife's phone, my tablet, my wife's tablet - b/c I've always been afraid I'd mess up a device by using the wrong one, they are all 5v but a little different in amps .85, 1.0, 1.0 and 1.55. If you think my new charger is only going to get 1.5ax5v=7.5w maybe my 1.55a phone charger will do the same slow 8 hour Switch charge at 7.5w?

I checked my Target receipt and I have until Nov 12 to return the charger, so I think I'll get a tester - for science - get my Switch on the 27th and see how it all goes. Maybe I can replace all 4 of my current phone/tablet charger w/ the new one, it was on clearance for $8.38 and came w/ the 2 cables, I figure it's almost worth the price for the two 6' cables alone, the Amazon Fire tablet came w/ a 3' cord, it's too short to use it while it charges.

Thanks again for everything. When I check everything out w/ the tester I'll let ya know how it all went.

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection

JaxonH

@rjejr

Not just me, but also my friend Logan, and most of the internet has come to these same results with meter testing. USB-A caps off at 7.5W, while the Switch peaks at 8.75W (some claim even more) which means it's just not good enough. Obviously the Switch doesn't always use more than 7.5W, but it will when you're running games like Zelda on max brightness.

Untitled

The Switch needs to pull up to 18 watts while undocked. The only way to achieve that is by using USB-C PD. Whether it be a 9V profile at 2A... or a 15V profile at 1.2A... one way or another Switch will need 18 watts of power while undocked. Anything less than that and you are shortchanging yourself and the Switch. Tests on the Aukey Amp Duo show that it actually gives you about 2W of power more than the official charger. I got anywhere from 17W to 20W from it. Which is actually the best I've seen from any charger to date. Trust me, me and my friend did extensive testing on this. We went through the whole thing you're going through now and believe me, we've tested it all so that others don't have to.

You would think normal USB-C would be good enough since it's 5V at 3A (15W) unfortunately the Switch caps off at 2A. Some people believe it's to make the battery last longer. But the point remains you will never get more than 10W from USB-C. Which is definitely better than 7.5 from USB-A, but still barely more than half of what you truly need. Power Delivery is what the Switch was built on, and USB-C PD is the only thing you should buy. That goes for portable batteries as well.

But be careful because not all chargers advertised with USB-C PD actually work with Switch. I bought like three different chargers and the Aukey is the only one that worked as expected- and it actually worked a little better than the official charger.

As for portable batteries, there are only 2 options on this planet that I would feel safe recommending. If you decide to get a portable battery you let me know and I'll point you in the right direction.

Edited on by JaxonH

JaxonH

@rjejr

Oh, and if you want a charging hub for your living room, I bought this one. It includes 4 USB-A ports for charging normal stuff, and auto detects the amount of charge it needs to provide, and, it includes a USB-C Power Delivery port up top, which charges the Switch up to 18W just like the Aukey. Obviously this isn't a portable wall charger that you could put in a case and take with you, but, if you want a separate charger next to your recliner so that you can charge while in handheld mode or whatever, and have everything combined into one with only one outlet being used... this is a good option.

But even if you bought this you would still want a separate Aukey charger for on the go or for charging in other rooms of the house, etc

Anker USB-C PD + USB-A Hub

And btw, there is one other wall charger that works as well as the Aukey, but it's more expensive. Nonetheless I will link it just in case you find it on sale somewhere for less than the Aukey (personally I'd go with Aukey because it's thinner and also has adapter to make it a USB-A charger, but even so, I'll still Link this other one)

Anker USB-C PD Charger

And if you want a portable battery this is the thinnest and best you can get. Unfortunately I don't think they're selling it separately so you would have to buy it as a package with their wall charger, but since their wall charger is the one I linked above it would be a good package deal. Best portable battery and the included wall charger both charge just as fast as the official charger from Nintendo. That's pretty incredible coming from a portable battery. And it's good for 5 full, additional charges on top of your Switch's full charge. So basically an extra 15 to 25 hours of play time, on top of your 3-5 the Switch already has.

Anker 26,800mAh USB-C PD Portable Battery + USB-C PD Charger

Edited on by JaxonH

rjejr

@JaxonH Thanks for all that, Jets are beating New Englad 14-0 though - if you know anything about NFL that's a big deal - so I'll have to get to it all later.

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection

rjejr

@JaxonH Thought this article on the front page of Slashdot was interesting, in it's timing if nothing else.

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/17/10/17/1421238/the-impossib...

The article it links to is unfortunately just an Apple non-fanboy rant. Maybe you should write an article about USB-C and make the front page of Slashdot.

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection

rjejr

@JaxonH New day, new power adaptor on clearance at Target you aren't going to approve of.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZHRYL4/ref=ask_ql_qh_...

Here's the only #'s I could find. 12V @ 1.67a would be around that 18-19watt number I keep reading for the Switch.

Power Output Maximum: 27.5 W
USB Type-C: 5.1 VDC, 3 A / 5.5 VDC, 3 A / 12 VDC, 1.67 A
USB Type-A: 5.1 VDC, 1.5 A

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection

JaxonH

@rjejr
Negative.

Trust me on this. You don't want to cheap out on the charger. Not with USB-C. Get the Aukey Amp Duo or Anker USB-C PD charger.

blargh201

Hiya to all!

I'd like some thoughts, if anyone doesn't mind. I just bought this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074C2VZ2T/ref=oh_aui_detai...

and I'd like to know if it seems alright. I know some will go back and recommend the Aukey Duo, but it's unavailable. After reading this thread I know that USB-C involves some power negotiation and likely won't draw more power than necessary, but I'm still a bit leery that the above Aukey charger can go up to 20V when the max the Switch takes (based on the stock Nintendo AC adapter) is 15V.

Am I worrying for no reason? Thanks!

Now, to get a cable...

blargh201

JaxonH

@blargh201
Yes, you're worrying for no reason.

The days of making sure voltage and amps doesn't exceed the device are over. That's the beauty of USB-C PD.

Almost all chargers for USB-C PD will have higher volts and/or amps than the device. It has to. It's a multi-profile spec, so it has to be able to accommodate any voltage/ampere combination possible.

That's a fine charger and will do well. Just be sure to use an in spec cable. Amazon Basics are the cheapest and easiest choice.

blargh201

@JaxonH Thanks! You rock.

On an unrelated note, would it be news to note that Nintendo recently put out an official charging cable for the Switch? Funny that it's USB-A to USB-C and 10 feet long according to the box.

blargh201

JaxonH

@blargh201
USB-A bottlenecks and completely defeats the purpose of USB-C PD.

It's fine for charging pro controllers and accessories though.

blargh201

@JaxonH Yeah, I just thought I'd mention that it exists for people reading this thread. Someone might like the info.

blargh201

Kingkasper

Hey guys I picked up a 20 000mAh Jackery 420 USB-C power bank today for my Nintendo switch and other devices. I’m a little bit confused as to which socket I use to charge what device. The first socket is a USB C input AND output which I’m currently using my pro controller cord to charge the actual power bank. These are the three sockets which I’m unsure to use for which device:

1| 5V 2.4Amp USB output (it’s all it says)
2| Qualcomm 2.0 15W Quick Charge USB output.
3| USB C input/output (its the input hole though)

Im really confused here guys on which one is best for my switch.. Do I need to purchase a USB input to input cable and use that socket or one of the others on my regular USB c pro controller cable? The second device I will be charging is the iPhone 7 which obviously uses USB standard lightning cord (also unsure which socket).

It was kinda expensive so I’m wondering if I made a good purchase or should return it for a specific type of USB C power bank.

Thank you so much!!

Edited on by Kingkasper

Kingkasper

3dg3d3m0n

I have an Anker power bank from 2015 that does the job just fine, but thought I'd thank @JasonH for his efforts in this thread. Very informative and I've learnt something new, thanks alot bud

3dg3d3m0n

Kingkasper

is anyone able to help me with my questions 2 replies up? I’m still really unsure and don’t want to use the wrong port and damage my switch.

Kingkasper

Blathers

I'm planning on picking up the Xiaomi ZMI QB820 soon, since it should work as a decent charger in portable mode, and it runs at 40W, (USB-C says it goes from 5-20V and claims a max of "45W", but doesn't specify amperage, while the 2 USB-A ports say they work at 5V/2A, 9V/2A, or 12V/1.5A)

I've heard a few people recommending it because it's compatible with the dock. Though some people have mentioned higher output banks are not. Is this because there's some lack of step-down to 15V/2.6A and Power Delivery?

Edited on by Blathers

Stay safe, kids: Make sure to save frequently during multiplayer, and always use a stylus!

3DS Friend Code: 1848-2106-5430

JaxonH

@Kingkasper
Use USB-C port with a separately purchased, in spec USB-C to USB-C cable (Amazon Basics brand is cheapest verified in spec cable).

Using the other ports is worthless for Switch. It doesn't use Qualcomm so that does nothing extra, and USB-A has a capped wattage of 7.5. Well, Switch can draw nearly 9 watts so... ya. It's kinda pointless to buy a USB-C battery then use the USB-A port. If even one end of the cable is USB-A it restricts the entire flow.

@Blathers
The Switch dock is very fickle. It uses the USB-C PD spec but violates it in a multitude of respects. As such, it's a crapshoot what will and won't work with the dock, and I have no experience in the matter.

I can tell you, however, that Switch pulls 39W in the dock and roughly 18W in handheld. I have not done any tests in the dock but I'm going off info from others. I have done tests in handheld though.

For docked, you want to look for the USB-C PD profiles in between. Specifically, 15v profile at 3a. And Switch will draw 39 watts from it, presumably at the full 15v and 2.6a or something like that

Sorry, this topic has been locked.