Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch: USB-C and Portable Battery Recommendations

Posts 221 to 225 of 225

Iwao

@thugpipe

I have a (probably) stupid question, but is charging the Switch with a powerbank (I have the 26 800 pd from Anker) while playing drain the bank faster than charging the Switch in sleep mode?

According to this good research, the difference is only 5w more or less.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11181/a-look-at-nintendo-switc...

Or maybe it’s not related and only the mah the bank can provide matters?

Has anyone here seen any difference bewteen charging - playing, charging - sleeping?

Edited on by Iwao

Iwao

thugpipe

@Iwao its a valid question, there may be a small difference in the rate at which the switch draws current from the power bank in sleep mode, most likely whatever that sleep mode rate is represents the maximum draw needed to charge the switches internal battery. When you are playing the switch and charging off the bank you will be drawing the maximum amount your battery can supply or for which the switch itself is rated, whichever is lower because you are drawing current primarily to run the switch and only what is in excess of that goes to charge the battery. the important point is that if the switch is in sleep mode almost all of the current draw is going towards charging the battery as fast as possible so the duration will be shorter, then the draw will drop off and you will use less of the power-bank's charge because you are using less power overall but i can't say for sure what will produce the best possible charging efficiency.

Edited on by thugpipe

thugpipe

Iwao

@thugpipe

Thank you for your answer!

Well, that's exactly what I was thinking. Even though yesterday I spent a couple of hours looking for the answer online, especially about the number of cycles a powerbank can recharge your device etc, that was more complicated than I thought, with calculation including conversation rate etc, you can check that here:

https://www.myusbgifts.com/single-post/2017/05/04/How-many-ti...

But I couldn't find anything even related to something that should be popular like "charging smartphone while charging with powerbank"

But basically the powerbank has a limited amount of mah to provide to the Switch that needs 4310 mha according to Nintendo to be full.

The question about playing and charging, as you said, is that it could charge slowly while charging, that's the first obvious thought, knowing that for that you need the famous 18w (thank you PD to be able to provide that) and only 8.9w to play and charge but keeping the battery at its same level.

The thing is, with the 26 800 PD from Anker, I made the test and with no game running or while playing Zelda, wifi on, brightness almost full etc, I got exactly the same charging speed that is more or less 4% every 5 min, which is pretty huge (and amazing)

I also realized recently that when I put the Switch into the dock and if I don't put it to sleep, charging speed is slower than that, like 2% every 10 min, basically twice slower!

Finaly (sorry my post is a bit messy), looking at the numbers of anandtech that I posted earlier, those are the important numbers:

8.9W: (14.8V @ 0.6A) On (Fully Charged)
17.7W (14.6V @ 1.21A) On (Discharged)
12.1W (14.7V @ 0.82A) Charging (Sleep)

So the different which we might lost with the powerbank would be 17.7w - 12.1w = 5.6W (On discharged - sleep)

But how important is that for a Powerbank of 26 800 or more, I have no idea...

Edited on by Iwao

Iwao

Iwao

And

Iwao

rjejr

@JaxonH Hey man, nobody has posted in here for a year now, can't have that now can we.

We're taking a long car drive to Tennessee (Dollywood, hooray hooray for Dollywood - Ethel Merman voice) so looking into a Switch battery for basically this one car ride so on the cheap. I know I can get a car USB-C charger for $15 but my cigarette lighter fuses always blew out w/ my 3DS chargers so Id' rather not trust that fuse for Switch. So battery it is.

Without you going into too much detail about PD and watts, volts and amps, I'd just like a simple - do you think Aukey is OK for a battery? In your original post you selected a link to an Aukey wall charger but that was 2 years ago, things could have changed. I know you swear by Anker, b/c even I know they're the best, but like I said looking to go cheaper than that.

Anyway here's the link. Aukey 10,000mAh PD Power Bank, Slimline 18W USB-C Portable Charger with Quick Charge 3.0. Normally $43, on sale for $30, $26 w/ the coupon. And $25 is my magic number for a back-up battery, so close enough. We already have a 15" C to C cable from GoPro, long enough for the backseat.

https://smile.amazon.com/AUKEY-10000mAh-Portable-Delivery-Nin...

I'm not worried about the fast charging part, would just like to keep it plugged in while they play and slow down the discharge so they can play a little longer, maybe 6 hours instead of 3. I have the GoPro for charging in the hotel. And I'm taking the dock on vacation, we rented a house for 4 nights, 7 teens/kids will be there for 5 days.

Anyway, dont' get all crazy, you've wasted enough of your time just reading this far. And I'm probably going to order it tonight, so if you tell me no then I'll have to send it back.

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me

Sorry, this topic has been locked.