Forums

Topic: Nintendo 64 (Switch Online)

Posts 181 to 200 of 255

Jarester

why is online + expansion $63.88 cad

but i already have online and it's trying to make me pay $51 cad for expansion and "+ online"? shouldnt it at least - $25 off 63.88 so $38?? their is no just expansion option it says + both only.

Jarester

faint

@SKTTR Goldeneye was never going to happen. That list can always be expanded anyway. Is there a possible master system list?

[email protected]
friend code: 0103-9004-2456

SKTTR

skywake wrote:

@kkslider5552000
If it's that subtle it's likely smaller than the upscalers you'd have to go through to put native N64 content on a modern TV anyways. And certainly smaller than the input delay added by online play. Or what we had playing on the Wii U gamepad (which also added noise and softened the image)

Also if we want to properly test input lag we should compare to other titles on the same Switch and same TV. Not N64 titles played on a CRT

The Wii U GamePad has much less latency than all HD tv's I played Wii U on. So if you experienced input lag (after N64 games got the update) then it was the other way around. The visuals and audio were quicker on the Wii U GamePad than what was shown and heard on your tv.

For some time the Wii U was the best device to check if your HD tv is bad or not. Because if the sound didn't come out at the same time you instantly knew your tv wasn't optimal (or at least was in a lagging mode you had to change through your tv options).

faint wrote:

@SKTTR Goldeneye was never going to happen. That list can always be expanded anyway. Is there a possible master system list?

Never say never. But yeah, chances are really low, I know that. That's why in my list I prefered games that already have been emulated and have proven to be possible instead of dreams.

And no, have heard nothing about Master System for NSO.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

JaxonH

For NES/SNES they released certain SP versions of games with various hacks or placing you at a certain boss

I wonder if 10 or so games will be those.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Gerald

@Jarester I think it’s because the new expansion can only be purchased for 12 months, so what you have left on your current subscription is deducting from the total price. (If you had 6 months left on your standard subscription that was $25 for 12 months, it will remove $12.50 from your new 12 month subscription)

NNID: Ootfan98
3DS FC: 3909 - 7501 - 9000

Jarester

Gerald wrote:

@Jarester I think it’s because the new expansion can only be purchased for 12 months, so what you have left on your current subscription is deducting from the total price. (If you had 6 months left on your standard subscription that was $25 for 12 months, it will remove $12.50 from your new 12 month subscription)

i have a year and a few months left atm

Jarester

skywake

@SKTTR
The Wii U compressed the raw video output, sent it across WiFi and then decompressed. It was fairly low latency for sure and in some cases better than what modern TVs could do. But people are comparing NSO to an N64 displaying games through standard connectors on a CRT. And saying stuff like there is some compared to that but it's subtle.....

I'd wager you get more input lag on the Wii U Gamepad on N64 VC than you do on the Switch's screen in N64 NSO. But if we really want to compare like for like, compare Mario 64 latency to the 3D All Stars version

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

kkslider5552000

Contrary to seemingly popular belief, Yoshi's Story is a good game. In some ways, a very good game. The jump in this one is weird in hindsight now having played other Yoshi games, but otherwise I feel like if they had decided to make a more normal Yoshi's Island sequel, it could've lived up to the original.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

SKTTR

skywake wrote:

@SKTTR
The Wii U compressed the raw video output, sent it across WiFi and then decompressed. It was fairly low latency for sure and in some cases better than what modern TVs could do. But people are comparing NSO to an N64 displaying games through standard connectors on a CRT. And saying stuff like there is some compared to that but it's subtle.....

I'd wager you get more input lag on the Wii U Gamepad on N64 VC than you do on the Switch's screen in N64 NSO. But if we really want to compare like for like, compare Mario 64 latency to the 3D All Stars version

The first month I had my Wii U, I had it running through a CRT and the Wii U GamePad latency is so low it's basically instant, and you'd need bionic eyes and ears to make out a difference. The hundredth of milliseconds that it is slower is not recognizable by human beings.
Every input feels instant, sound/music has no echo, the picture on the CRT and the picture on the GamePad appeared at the exact same time.

Super Mario 64 on 3D All-Stars runs very smooth. No lag. It's the definitive version of the game imo. And running NSO Mario 64 and 3D All-Stars Mario 64 side by side in handheld mode would gain the best results. I can see that some of the comparisons people make are stupid. Also, many seem to forget that most N64 games just are slower and they've always been like that, especially Ocarina that runs in 20fps or less.

Anyway, the NSO N64 emulator has problems. That's clear. Input lag however doesn't seem to be one. People should address the real problems and don't make em up.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

rallydefault

Eel wrote:

Yeah I haven’t noticed anything like that either.

Ocarina of Time plays like it’s always done.

Yea, same here.

This whole thing has had me scratching my head and wondering how many of these people have actually PLAYED the expansion pack and how many are just dogpiling on internet comments and Youtube videos.

We've become so mindless that first-hand experience no longer matters. Just repeat whatever the guy next to you slaps out of his keyboard.

rallydefault

skywake

@SKTTR
Fair call. I was just making the point that CRTs were around 5ms for input lag while good modern panels are around the 10-20ms range. Nintendo rated the Wii U GamePad at 16ms which is pretty impressive given what it does and also explains why it outperformed a lot of TVs, especially at the time. There are still new TVs that have input lag in the 30-100ms range

But here's the thing about N64 games, as others have said there are games on the N64 that ran at very low framerates. At 15fps, which isn't THAT uncommon on the N64, it's 66ms per frame. Play online with someone? Well, with the way N64 titles work they'll have to buffer the inputs. That's probably another 30-50ms. Stack all of these things? You'd probably start to notice some input lag.... but those things are a bit out of Nintendo's control.....

So yeah, tl;dr: Like most technical things there's probably some element of truth to it but it's heavily clouded by misinformed commentators. Amplified in this case by the people with pitchforks. Inflamed further by people making non scientific comparisons some of which I am sure are deliberately misleading to generate clicks

And to repeat again, I haven't noticed any significant input lag on NSO. And again if anything I've been pretty impressed with the higher render resolution and general quality compared my previous N64 experiences. i.e. N64 played on the Wii U GamePad, N64 played on an original Wii through component cables on a 2008-era 32" LCD and N64 games on low end PCs in the early 2000s played on a 14" CRT

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

BrazillianCara

Of course it would be an article from PC Gamer.

BrazillianCara

MajinSoul

I've played Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time on the N64 yet I have no issues with the NSO versions.

MajinSoul

Nintendo Network ID: UtoKid | Twitter:

Eel

I have played Ocarina of Time on every console it’s been available except the iQue.

As a kid I would play it on repeat on the N64. I was obsessed with it.

(Is this how women feel when a guy assumes they “probably haven’t read the comic”?)

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

StuTwo

@kkslider5552000 It was always a good game. Just much too short for the £60 price tag and it was an arcade high score game released in an era where they were very unpopular.

I remember buying it new for £10 (at just the point when retailers were ditching the N64 entirely) and really enjoying it. It has its flaws but the general idea could be polished into something very appealing to a modern audience.

Of course being recognised as a sequel to one of the all time greats probably didn't help it either - but if "not being as good as Yoshi's Island" is a problem then it's a problem that almost all video games have.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Ryu_Niiyama

@Eel exasperation, confusion at the insta dismissal, mild annoyance/outrage (depends on how bad the guy wants to beat you over the head with his assumption), incredulousness that such a person still exists and then eventual ennui? If you feel that, then yes. I just don’t respond to people like that anymore.

The whole Expansion pak reaction is hilarious. If you don’t wanna pay don’t pay (and just say that) but don’t blow up non existent issues or make the ones the service does have seem like they killed your mother. Most folks are doing it as a virtue signal to rationalize why they pirate. Which if you wanna do that go do that but don’t act like you were forced to.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

tamantayoshi

@Ryu_Niiyama Lol ikr like apparently since the fog rendering on N64 NSO isn't right it means the whole service isn't worth trying or even more overblown reactions.

tamantayoshi

HobbitGamer

Hey, I'm enjoying it. Upside for me; with XBL, there would be many months that I either already played or had no interest in the 'free' game, but with NSO it's almost all games I want to play or never got around to. I played a very intense Mario Tennis game last night.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic