Forums

Topic: Next Nintendo Direct?

Posts 6,641 to 6,660 of 15,822

link3710

@MS7000 I'd like to point out that data was also a bit misleading. Many titles got dual releases on 3DS + Wii U (Mario Maker, Yoshi's Woolly World, Smash 4, Mario Tennis, Hyrule Warriors, Captain Toad, NES Remix 1 + 2, Art Academy) and/or were incomplete titles released to fill in a troubled schedule (Art Academy Sketchpad, Mario Tennis Open, Amiibo Festival) or were ports themselves (Luigi's Mansion, Xenoblade Chronicles, LoZ OoT/MM/WW/TP, Star Fox 64, 2 Mario & Luigis, DKC Returns). And in general, Nintendo's stopped releasing indie sized games (Pushmo, Dillon's, NES Remix, Steel Diver, Rhythm Heaven, Badge Arcade, Sakura Samurai BoxBoy dropping from 3 on 3DS to 1 on Switch) which helped boost their numbers before, instead replacing these by promoting notable indies without publishing them.

While I'd still say the total is definitely higher on 3DS + Wii U, that data makes the gap look even larger.

link3710

sixrings

@Grumblevolcano what about the NSMB series... there's a ton of those.. We should be trying to make room for more four player Mario games not discouraging them.

sixrings

Dezzy

@sixrings

I dunno about that. If they really stuck to that rule, then they'd never really make anything new. Mario 64 sold really well, but then they did Sunshine which was very different. Twilight Princess was the best selling Zelda game at the time, and yet they followed it with Skyward Sword, which was very different.

It's just not true that they always make sequels to things. They like to do new things as well.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

sixrings

@Dezzy I didn't mean to imply they always make sequels... yes Nintendo rarely makes sequels... but ill hold out hope for a 3dworld sequel after the switch port sells well...

sixrings

kkslider5552000

Considering the direction Mario went afterwards, I think its reasonable to assume that 3D World was considered a bad direction for the series, fair or not. Mainly because it was the 3D Mario on Wii U and points to Wii U's sales

also let's be honest, its mildly a redundant game if they decide to make another 2D Mario, since it literally is a 3D Mario trying to be a 2D Mario, and we're decades overdue for a 2D Mario with actual new ideas anyway (other than Mario Maker)

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

MS7000

link3710 wrote:

And in general, Nintendo's stopped releasing indie sized games (Pushmo, Dillon's, NES Remix, Steel Diver, Rhythm Heaven, Badge Arcade, Sakura Samurai BoxBoy dropping from 3 on 3DS to 1 on Switch)...

That hurts knowing that we still don't have a sequel to NES Remix such as SNES Remix. I would also love a new Rhythm Heaven.

But yeah, I know that quite a few 3DS games were ports of Wii U games, and that some Wii U games were also ports. But both of them (at least as I remember) had more new experiences compared to the Switch.

@kkslider5552000 Regarding series direction, I am glad that they changed course following 3D World. I know a fair few people like it, but it is honestly the worst 3D Mario to me (it's not bad, i just didn't enjoy it as much as other entries). Odyssey was fantastic and definitely felt to be a very superior experience. I would like a sequel to that or even DLC (wink wink Nintendo, announce at your next general direct!).

Signature, huh? Where do I sign?

Anti-Matter

@kkslider5552000
I don't really have interest with another 2D Mario games as i played another 3D platformer games from PlayStation 3 (Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper), it seems Miyamoto still stuck on same Mario games.
I would like to see Nintendo take a risk by create different 3D platformer with different scenario, definitely not Pikmin style, it could be with some kid friendly weapons like Ratchet & Clank / Jak & Daxter or stealth platformer like Sly Cooper. All i keep seeing from Mario games are Damsel in distress. It was too archaic.

Anti-Matter

teo_o

@Grumblevolcano Definetely an Odissey 2! they say the switch is halfway through its life cycle and Odissey has been the best selling 3d mario to date.
2022?

teo_o

sixrings

After playing galaxy I realize how much more I liked galaxy over odyssey but I also like 3dworld better than odyssey

sixrings

Dezzy

MS7000 wrote:

@kkslider5552000 Regarding series direction, I am glad that they changed course following 3D World. I know a fair few people like it, but it is honestly the worst 3D Mario to me (it's not bad, i just didn't enjoy it as much as other entries).

I struggle to believe that anyone could think 3D Land is better than 3D World. 3D World is basically the exact same game but on a bigger scale, more new ideas, better graphics, and multiplayer. It's a better version in nearly every way.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

jedgamesguy

I found Sunshine to be the least fun to play out of all three games in the All-Star collection. It was so, SO close between 64 and Galaxy in terms of controls, how Mario feels, and level design, but I give it to Galaxy on the grounds that 64's camera is easily the worst camera I have ever had the displeasure of using in any video game, ever. It's the first 3D camera, yes, but it's the worst.

@Dezzy maybe it appears bigger because the game's size was effectively doubled after beating the main campaign, and 3D World's size increased by around 25%? I think 3D World's course count and content level is greater, but that placebo can often distract.

Edited on by jedgamesguy

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

GrailUK

@theJGG The trick with Mario 64 is don't overly use the camera. Unlike Galaxy and Sunshine, Lakitu actually tries to move to the best position. For example, on the first world, as you pass the gate at the foot of the mountain, if you pause before the balls, Lakitu will move so they are directly in front of you. So that's why it feels like you are fighting with the camera sometimes. You are trying to do his job haha The levels are designed around that.

Edited on by GrailUK

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

MPSSislit

@Dezzy
Actually, I'm in agreement with @MS7000 regarding 3D World. My main problem was the fact that it felt like a big downgrade, especially coming directly from Galaxy (Galaxy 2 technically) to 3D World.

Please give Ninjala a chance, guys. 🤔
As @Sunsy said,
Ninjala Gang FOR LIFE!
Also, if I don't respond to your post within a day (or two), don't worry, I'm not ignoring you. I'm going to be busy, though I will do my best to respond in a timely fashion.

MS7000

@SM3DASislit @Dezzy

Dezzy wrote:

3D World is basically the exact same game but on a bigger scale, more new ideas, better graphics, and multiplayer. It's a better version in nearly every way.

But that is the problem, it felt like retreading old ground kind of like how New Super Mario Bros. 2 felt for me. It didn't feel different enough from 3D Land, not to mention, I enjoyed the levels more in 3D Land than World. I remember World having more annoying gimmicks. The levels in 3D World also didn't look like they were designed for multiplayer as despite being technically bigger levels, pathways and stuff felt cramped.

The only thing 3D World did better was the bosses, and even then, Pom Pom and Boom Boom still made up most of the fights and even some of the other bosses you fought multiple times against (the darn clown boss just irked me, 3 times you fight it).

Signature, huh? Where do I sign?

kkslider5552000

Dezzy wrote:

I struggle to believe that anyone could think 3D Land is better than 3D World. 3D World is basically the exact same game but on a bigger scale, more new ideas, better graphics, and multiplayer. It's a better version in nearly every way.

I can actually totally understand it, but entirely because 3D World came out 2 years afterwards.

Now I do ultimately prefer 3D World, but that's because of the sheer effort they went to introduce lots of really creative level designs. But in 2011, I was mildly cool with a 3D take on 2D Mario. In 2013, I was so sick of it. I flat hated the creative direction of Mario at that specific time. Like seriously they released three NSMB games between the two 3D games, which is the type of samey oversaturation that would make Call of Duty blush. Between that and that sameyness and obsession with classic 2D Mario things starting to infect the spinoffs (especially Paper Mario: Sticker Star), it was a sad time to be a fan of Mario. In the sense that I like Mario games being creative and memorable and exciting in any way. 3D World is the last platformer of that era, and it was so easy to be cynical about that I totally get it.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

MPSSislit

@MS7000
I thought that 3D World has very creative levels and doesn’t retread old ground IMO (TBF, I haven’t played 3D Land).
That being said, I do get where you’re coming from, though.

Please give Ninjala a chance, guys. 🤔
As @Sunsy said,
Ninjala Gang FOR LIFE!
Also, if I don't respond to your post within a day (or two), don't worry, I'm not ignoring you. I'm going to be busy, though I will do my best to respond in a timely fashion.

Matt_Barber

The best thing about 3D World was the Captain Toad levels.

Spinning them off into their own game was one of the greatest moments for the Wii U.

Matt_Barber

Buizel

@Dezzy Land had a much greater impact for me tbh - maybe because it was the first game of the style, or maybe because I prefer the more compact level design of Land to World's more open levels.

That said, I've not really played the two side-by-side. Maybe the two-year difference made quite the impact of my reception of these games as @kkslider5552000 suggests.

I also wouldn't say World is my least favourite 3D games (that award, unfortunately, goes to 64...)

At least 2'8".

Ralizah

Super Mario 3D Land is a less bloated, more focused platforming experience. I also feel like it benefits from having sleeker level design in many cases, since its courses aren't designed to accommodate multiple players. It also makes amazing use of the stereoscopic 3D technology, and is hugely impressive technically considering the specs of the hardware it was released on.

3D World is probably the better game, but it's less impressive as a home console experience than 3D Land is as a portable experience, and the way it uses the technology of the system it was built for is less compelling.

@GrailUK Lakitu is terrible at his job, as 64 frequently opts for the worst possible camera angles whenever you're trying to do something. Galaxy's camera is similarly restrictive, but I feel like it's what 64's camera was meant to be: unobtrusive, and almost always giving you the best possible angle from which to view a scene. It also helps that Galaxy's linear levels were better designed to accommodate a static camera. 64, being a free roam game, really needed a fully player-controlled camera like in Sunshine.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Don

I hope Nintendo Direct isn’t officially dead. I have a feeling they officially killed it. I understand the CoVID situation but Nintendo’s partners and competitors all did presentations so that can’t be it.

Don

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic