Forums

Topic: Next Nintendo Direct?

Posts 6,661 to 6,680 of 15,474

FragRed

It’s officially January 2021. Time to start those wild rumours on Directs proper

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

jedgamesguy

@Ralizah Well that's what happens when you film someone using a camera attached to a fishing rod carried by a bipedal turtle sitting on a cloud.

@FragRed I bet people have been making them in their sleep. We've had rumours of Directs nonstop since July and every month they were right, except that we got the Partners' Showcase, Indie World, and then a Super Nintendo World one...

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG

FragRed

@theJGG I feel there’s enough big enough releases coming to the Switch for the first three or so months for Nintendo to not need to bother doing a Direct, but instead just drop trailers for all the games. Could easily see it being a quiet first half like last year for first party games and instead a focus on the exclusive third party titles.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

GrailUK

@Ralizah See I never had a problem with Mario 64 so I can't appreciate people having difficulty with it. So I guess it's different strokes for different folks. Mario Sunshine on the other hand was infuriating.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

FragRed

@GrailUK I tried Mario Sunshine for the first time last year. Gave up on it pretty quick. I should point out that I have so many games in my back log across all consoles that I will move on if I can’t get into it or I get bored.

GrailUK

@FragRed Mario Sunshine was disappointing when it released so don't feel bad lol.

FragRed

@GrailUK Yep, it’s a game that shows why Nintendo are right, more often than not, to delay games until they’re up to scratch. If they just had a few more months to fix a few issues it could have been so much better. But I understand they desperately needed a Mario game in the wild.

GrailUK

@FragRed Indeed. Breaks my heart the Gamecube struggled. It was a lovely machine and felt like a successor to the Dreamcast more than the PS2 and XBox.

FragRed

@GrailUK Imagine if the Gamecube hadn't been a failure- Nintendo may never have created the Wii and instead continued to compete with Microsoft and Sony.

GrailUK

@FragRed Yeah, there is truth in what you said.

FragRed

@GrailUK Still feel Nintendo needs to do more in terms of funding and publishing games that are geared more towards the "hardcore" gamer. The odd game every year or two isn't enough in my opinion.

GrailUK

@FragRed I dunno. Hardcore to me is an adjective not a label. It's simply how much you play a game. I'm sure there are hardcore Animal Crossing players out there. I used to play World of Warcraft hardcore lol. When I'm chasing a high score for example, I'm not playing a game casually. They really are best making games for everyone...and letting folk be as hardcore as they want with them. (Is my philosophy that helps me sleep at night!)

Edited on by GrailUK

BruceCM

Hmm, please define 'hardcore gamer', @FragRed ....? I suspect I wouldn't qualify, despite gaming for 100+ hours per week! Perhaps you have some examples of the odd game you're talking about?

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

FragRed

@GrailUK @BruceCM Yeah wrong choice of words, not sure what you describe games such as Bayonetta or Astral Chain. Mature?

jedgamesguy

@GrailUK My dislike of the camera system was nulled by the addicting gameplay, and just how well Mario's moveset and fluidity holds up even now. Sometimes I growl whenever the camera acts up but it's a secondary problem and not a game breaking one

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23

GrailUK

@FragRed Hmm...are you sure you aren't wishing Platinum Games were more productive hee hee

GrailUK

@theJGG That's a good point. Sometimes the camera isn't in the most comfiest position, but at least the direction you press is accurately portrayed on screen. Some games go all weird and you press right and your character moves left. Aye, controls are really important! In Sunshine, you could be holding forward, directly lined up with something, the camera moves abruptly and you miss. Like I said, it's infuriating as someone pulling the rug from your feet lol. Once upon a time, this was called gameplay mechanics. Nowadays, kids use it for features lol (grinds my gears)

Edited on by GrailUK

FragRed

@GrailUK Hee Hee while yeah I am. But also, maybe it's me and my nostalgia but I feel like during the N64 and GameCube days, Nintendo seemed to be able to fund and publish a more varied library of games that could cater to a much wider audience then they tend to do for the most part nowadays. I know Rare and Factor 5 were responsible for some of that and I know Retro were behind the Metroid Prime games which helped. Dunno, again its probably just me.

GrailUK

@FragRed Well, I'm sure Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3 will be worth the wait. I wouldn't want Nintendo to get all AAA on me. It's amazing how that stifles imagination and focuses creativity away from actual game design and more towards 'let's make the same game but this time set it in such and such a place / era / setting) which is nothing more than following zeitgeists instead of your own thing. I jest but sometimes I feel like all a new AAA game adds is more beards.

Edited on by GrailUK

jedgamesguy

@GrailUK I mean, Breath of the Wild was delayed by three years and we got an absolute masterpiece. They haven't announced anything concrete, so this could be a shift in their attitude, to only reveal stuff closer to completion?

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic