Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin

Posts 341 to 360 of 588

VoidofLight

The character skin tones never really seemed all that yellow to me.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Lol funny you should say that. I went one shade to the right of the lightest skin tone, and my character looks more yellow compared to Kayna, and definitely compared to Ena. Was almost gonna use a character voucher to change it, but it’s fine. Nothing too drastic, just a bit noticeable in a cutscene earlier.

@Snatcher
It was enough of an issue for me to switch to PC after sinking 16 hrs into the Switch version. Normally I truck through any hiccups but, this is a game I’ll spend 100+ hours in, and I just can’t do it with the stutters. After reaching Alcala Highlands it got even worse.

Sucks, because Switch is my primary gaming device and this was one of my most hyped games of the generation behind Monster Hunter Rise. I want to enjoy it on Switch so badly, but… it is what it is.

At least Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate doesn’t have issues, nor does Monster Hunter Rise, and the inevitable Monster Hunter Rise Ultimate will be just as good as the base game, surely. So I count my blessings. And the original MH Stories on 3DS is also fine. Still… what a shame.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

VoidofLight

So basically, the Switch version isn't worth getting, due to performance issues. Shame, since I can't get the version on PC due to my PC not being able to run modern games.

Snatcher

@JaxonH Damn what? You went to pc bc it was so bad? Damn.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Snatcher

@VoidofLight Its kinda sad honestly, saying was a nintendo game and it ran great on the 3ds, idk why they can't make it work on the switch, makes me think if the pc build came first and the switch later. I mean why the hell does it feel like a port.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

JaxonH

@Snatcher
Ya. You know me. Usually I’m highly tolerant of sub-par performance but this was just constantly not smooth turning the camera.

A lot of people feel it’s still playable and it’s a turn based game so it doesn’t really impact gameplay. Whether you would feel the same way, I can’t say. All I know is usually I can tolerate a few drops, but this was just too much for me.

What really makes it mind boggling though, is the fact the resolution is 900p docked and 720p handheld, without any dynamic Res. If they just dropped it to 720p docked, 540p handheld, and added dynamic resolution, it would probably push it over the threshold into playable territory for me. But Capcom doesn’t seem interested in that approach.

And Monster Hunter Rise was so good, so smooth, too. Why they can’t get this game at parity with Rise is beyond me.

But Idk. Try the demo. See for yourself. It does seem to get worse in a certain area after the demo ends though. It’s a much larger area with tons of draw a distance, but honestly, even in the towns the camera doesn’t turn smoothly.

So ya. It is what it is. I want to play it on switch but this version just doesn’t cut it for me. At least the game got a PC release though so we can enjoy a solid version of the game. A good example of why investing in a gaming PC continues to pay dividends. It gets all the games. More than any other platform out there. It gets games exclusive to Switch, games exclusive to PS, and every game exclusive to Xbox. It gets practically every third party game as well. And it can map mouse gyro aiming to every game. Play with a PS5 DualSense controller with top tier rumble. Use a headset. Connect it to the tv like a console. Use Steam Big Picture mode… Idk what I’d do without mine. And with this recent chip shortage I am incredibly grateful I got my 2080 ti when I did.

@VoidofLight
Unless your PC is from the Stone Age, you’ll be able to run this game. I’m doing Native 4k resolution at 144 FPS on max settings without even breaking a sweat. The fans aren’t even revving up. It’s a very undemanding game (for PC, obviously switch is a different story). You could run it at 720p 30 fps- I’m fairly certain even desktops running Windows 95 could manage that.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

VoidofLight

@JaxonH My PC just makes a strange smell whenever I try to play anything that was made after 2010. The only games I can really run are Final Fantasy XIV and Minecraft. Anything else makes me fear my pc is about to melt or something. I could probably test the demo of Stories 2 on pc, and see how it runs on that, however I already got my copy for switch anyways.

I think if they were to just lock the FPS to 30 for the switch version, it would fair better.. but for some reason they just left it unlocked. At least Stories 2's stuttering isn't as bad as Yokai Watch 4.

Snatcher

@JaxonH Yikes I already didn't like it in the demo, and I was hoping it was going to be fixed in the full release, welp.

VoidofLight

@JaxonH My PC specs are this:

I have 16 GB ram
Processor: Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20 GHz 3.19 GHz.
64 bit operating system
and the Graphics card is an Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070

Is this enough to be able to run the game smoothly? I'm not that huge into tech, so I wouldn't really know honestly.

BruceCM

That certainly should be plenty, @VoidofLight .... But then that PC should be able to run most games, so I'm not sure why you're having problems with others!

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

VoidofLight

@BruceCM I don't know either honestly. The smell could just honestly be dust, or a part of my imagination.

JaxonH

@VoidofLight
All day. The Nividia RTX 1070 is more powerful than the Xbox One X. That was a beast of a card just a few years back.

The 1060, 1070 and 1080 were king, then came the 2060, 2070 and 2080 which introduced raytracing and DLSS, and now we have the 3060, 3070 and 3080 which are pretty big jump over the 20xx series. Of course they usually release a "ti" version of the 70 and 80 each year that eeks out a bit more power.

But ya. You'll be able to crush MH Stories 2. 1080p 60 fps all day. That card can crush pretty much anything in 1080p. You could probably even do 2160p (4k) 60fps just given how undemanding it is. At the very least 1440p 60 fps. High settings across the board. But for more demanding games, that's known as being a card that can run any game at 1080p 60 fps, with less demanding games being able to run at higher specs.

That's a pretty dang good PC for not knowing what you had. Sure, it's outdated now but that's only because tech moves so fast. You'll be gaming at 1080p 60 fps for many more years on that thing.

But if you're getting a smell I'd try to track down what it is. Take the side panel off and get a flashlight and look around. Could be dust burning, so blow everything out, or a cable that's against something hot and the rubber is burning (check for cables against a heat sink), and check for the loose wires from the Power Supply Unit (PSU) and see if they're touching anything like the motherboard. The PSU is the large block with cables coming out of it at the base of the PC.

Speaking of which, the PSU fan going bad is really common. I'd check to see if the fan on the PSU is spinning. If not, that's a cheap and easy fix. And I'd check the CPU fan to see if that's spinning.

Take the side panel off and play for a day. Maybe it'll air out on its own. And if not it'll be easy access to sniff around and see where it's coming from.

Edited on by JaxonH

BruceCM

Well, it probably is something, @VoidofLight .... Jaxon above is more of a proper expert than I am, so try his idea & see how that goes For some reason Intel only has odd numbers for it's CPUs & as far as I'm aware, they're only on the i9 now, so i7 should be perfectly capable of running almost every game!

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

VoidofLight

@JaxonH I’ll check. I remember taking my pc to an expert a bit ago, and they said things were fine, but it still kind of worries me. I know the two fans I have in there work fine, but I could check to see if it’s an issue with rubber being too close to the components heating up. I remember a while back, someone suggested that I ran a benchmark on my gpu to see if it was getting too hot and melting, but it was fine as well.

I’ll check the psu tomorrow though, just to double check. There’s one small wire not plugged into anything, but I was told that it was for if I want to add an SSD.

mr_somewhere

I've had a lot of fun with it on Switch personally. I have an extremely high tolerance for jank and performance issues, mind. I played and (mostly) enjoyed Deadly Premonition 2 pre-patch. I've heard the second area is the worst of it and that it gets better after so I really don't think the uneven framerate will impact the experience that much.

Having said all that why in the name of God did they not just cap the game? It's clear PC was the priority platform but the fact that Rise can run consistently and this can't is a little embarrassing to be fair. Do you think they might possibly be able to introduce a cap with a patch? Or at least provide an option? I have no technical knowledge at all so not a clue how likely or unlikely that is.

Switch ID: SW-5759-3188-0977

VoidofLight

Isn’t locking the frame rate as simple as pushing a button?

Edited on by VoidofLight

luckiernut

@Balta666 dynamic resolution is something different. You can lock framerate to not exceed a certain limit quite easily. Maybe it's done differently on pc and switch and they didn't have time to add it in or they couldn't stabilise the framerate on time

luckiernut

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic