Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter Rise

Posts 801 to 820 of 4,706

Snatcher

@BruceCM I'm for it.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Venus_Adept

@Snatcher I like both sides of the coin to be honest so I'm in. I love single player games like Xenoblade and Fire Emblem but also enjoy going Online from time to time to do a raid in Pokemon Sword for example.
@JaxonH great to hear that.
Thanks for the input, guys.

Edited on by Venus_Adept

Venus_Adept

JaxonH

@toiletduck
Ya, Saturday and Sunday are perfect.

I'm central time. UK is 6 hrs ahead of me. So however many hours ahead of the UK you are, tack that on to the 6. So maybe 7-8 hrs time difference. At 9am here it'll be like 5pm there at most. That means a good several hrs where we're both up.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

toiletduck

@JaxonH Alright, so either very early morning or evening for me I'm in the Netherlands so one more hour than UK time. Keep in touch, looking forward to it.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

JaxonH

Monster Hunter Rise Switch preorder at Amazon Germany is now shipping global! Go go go!

Pro controller is sold out though.

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B08V6LRWK4/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?dchild=1&a...

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

I’ve written a beginner’s guide for anyone new to Monster Hunter or looking to learn. This is the crucial information needed to properly enjoy the game, and seeing as the demo does not explain all of this adequately I took it upon myself to write a quick start guide of sorts to help those who need it.

MONSTER HUNTER RISE BEGINNER’S GUIDE

Menu Settings

GAME SETTINGS
Target Arrow: HIDE
Player Silhouette: TYPE 1

CONTROLS
Button Hold: SHORT
Sheath: MANUAL
Dash: L3 or R

CAMERA
Speed: SLOW
Cam Distance: 40

GYROSCOPE
Gyro Functionality: ON
Right Analog Up/Down: ON
Normal Gyro (Camera): OFF

Advice

#1 Run by holding R or clicking Left Analog (provided settings match the above recommendations). Cannot run with weapon drawn.

#2 Always grab supplies from the blue item box at the start of a quest. You can enter the tent to restock supplies from your personal stash if you run out mid-hunt.

#3 Holding L allows you access to two menus- the radial menu and the item bar. For the radial menu, use the right analog to point at the shortcut item you want to use. Shortcut items can be changed in the menu via + for Menu, then Radial Menu Settings, then Quests, then Shortcut 1, then use right analog to point at the item to swap out, then select Item Pouch, and find the item to swap it with. For the item bar, simply use Y/A to pan left/right through the list to find the item you wish to use. Press Y while your weapon is sheathed to use a selected item.

NOTE: For Radial Menu, I recommend swapping the upper right EZ Ration to Well Done Steak (for stamina replenishment), swapping the right Throwing Kunai to Nulberry (for curing status blights) swapping the lower right map for Antidote (to cure poison), and swapping the lower left Mega Potion for the Mega Potion in the Item Pouch (the default one doesn’t work).

#4 Try out all the weapons and see which one you like most. MH is a game that’s all about mastering a single weapon, not bouncing back and forth (unless you’re more experienced and have already mastered those weapons). So you should find a weapon you like and then practice, practice, practice. Learn the combos. Take a quest and sit by camp practicing combos. In the + menu, find Hunter’s Notes to see some basic moves and combos for the weapon. Watch a Gaijin Hunter tutorial on YouTube for your weapon (MH World tutorials should be fine, unless it’s Hunting Horn which has been revamped, but MH Rise weapon impressions videos are also available and provide most of the moves). I recommend Long Sword, Hunting Horn or Dual Blades for new players. Sword and Shield is often recommended but, personally I don’t find it very satisfying to use. Perhaps you might though.

#5 Explore and gather herbs, bugs, seeds, mushrooms, etc. Crafting plays a huge role in the full game, but in the demo, auto crafting will at least craft some things for you if you gather the right materials. Green Herbs make potions, and Honey with Potions make Mega Potions. Flashbugs make flash bombs, etc.

#6 Gather as many spirit birds as possible. Green extend your health bar permanently for that quest, yellow extends stamina, red extends attack and orange extends defense. In the full game you would normally eat a pre-hunt meal that would extend your Health and Stamina but spirit birds also do this, and should not be ignored. Learn a quick 3 minute path that gets a lot of bang for buck with spirit birds and get used to running that path at the start of every quest to boost your health and stamina before finding the monster.

#7 The wirebug is crucial. Commit it to muscle memory. With weapon sheathed, hold ZL to use the wirebug. ZL + X = 45 degree angle upwards. ZL + A = straight shot across. ZL + ZR = wherever your reticle is pointing, which is easy to fine tune your aim if you have Gyro enabled with the recommended settings above. In combat, with your weapon drawn, you have two separate wirebug attacks, one with ZL + X and one with ZL + A. Learn what they are for your weapon and how you can use them to close distance with a monster or go right into a combo, etc.

#8 Use the Wirefall technique. When hit by the monster and you go flying, immediately use ZL + B + (direction you point with left analog) to spring back to your feet with the wirebug. Since monster Hunter is based on animation commitments, getting knocked down can put you at a serious disadvantage due to the time it takes to recover and get back on your feet. Drill this move into your mind. Etch it in your memory. ZL + B when hit to do a wirefall recovery. Best new move in the game.

#9 Use the camera lock-on. If you click the right analog, it toggles the lock-on icon in the top right between different monsters. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS lock-on to the monster before you start fighting them. Once locked onto a specific monster, tap L at any time to swing the camera directly at them. This is also something you need to etch into your memory. You should constantly be tapping L to adjust the camera as needed during a fight. Not to say you shouldn’t use the right analog stick for the camera at all, but it shouldn’t be your main method of retargeting your camera at the monster. That’s what lock-on is for. DON’T NEGLECT LOCK-ON!

#10 Keep an eye on your health, stamina and sharpness meter. The health bar is the top green bar, the stamina bar is the yellow bar underneath, and the sharpness bar is the knife icon with colors underneath that. Always try to keep your sharpness in the green. Not only do you do less damage at lower levels of sharpness but you can actually bounce off of the monster when you attack. Not good. It locks you into a bounce animation that can get you killed. To sharpen, use a whetstone. You can easily access your whetstone with the radial menu (Hold L, point analog straight up at the yellow whetstone icon and release). You can also sharpen while riding your palamute, which is a good technique to use if you need to sharpen in the middle of combat. As for health, use potions, mega potions or max potions. For stamina, your max amount slowly decreases over time. Any red portion of the stamina bar is lost max stamina, and can be replenished by useing a ration given by the blue item box, or a well done steak (which will also be in your radial menu now if you followed this guide). Always upkeep your stamina. It’s sucks having half a stamina bar.

#11 Don’t leave your weapon drawn in between attacks. Don’t do it! When your weapon is drawn your mobility sucks. It absolutely destroys your movement speed. This is a game where you are supposed to sheath your weapon (tap Y while weapon is drawn) in between bursts of attacks. General cadence of battle should be: wait for opening —> draw attack and follow up with a short combo —> once you see a tell that the monster is about to attack, dodge roll out of the way —> sheath weapon —> run around and reposition —> rinse and repeat. It should be a constant back and forth between attack, then sheath, attack, then sheath.

#12 Experiment with your items. While you should generally keep mega potions selected on your item bar for quick and easy use with Y when in a jam, don’t be afraid to pan through the items and try some of them out. You can lay traps, set bombs (small ones can be thrown, large ones must be detonated with attack), throw elemental beetles you gather, etc. Don’t neglect the tools in your kit!

#13 If a monster is getting low on health, two things will happen. They will start limping if they leave the area, and a small blue icon will appear under their lock-on icon in the top right corner. That lets you know they can be captured (unfortunately you cannot capture in the demo because the game does not give you tranquilizer bombs) and are near death. If the monster retreats to its nest and goes to sleep, the first hit to wake it up does double damage. Try to set larger barrel bombs by its head, then attack his head to wake it up, making sure you hit the bomb first so that the explosion does the first damage and gets doubled. You can also use ZL + X to wiredash into the air at a 45 degree angle, and dunk a large bomb downward onto the monster. If you set two bombs near their head, then bomb dunk them from the sky with the third, not only does it do major damage, it does it with crazy style.

#14 Mounting and riding monsters. Most aerial attacks and wirebug attacks deal mount damage. If you deal enough you can mount the monster and head ram them into walls to do big damage, or use them to attack other monsters. Be sure to do the tutorial quest teaching this mechanic.

#15 Hunt online with others and learn through observation. There’s no substitute for watching a veteran Hunter with your own two eyes.

FINAL NOTE: The full game is SO much more than what the demo offers. Gathering and insanely deep and rewarding crafting mechanics are used to gather your own materials and prepare for hunts, armor and weapon crafting from materials carved from monsters are the gameplay hook- you don’t increase in “level”, you simply craft more powerful weapons and higher defense armor or craft upgrades for your current set. The skill system is robust, and each armor piece offers different skills, you can slot gems in with skill points from any one of hundreds of amazing skills, like evasion (increased i-frames when dodge rolling) to earplugs (monster roars dont stun lock you in an animation). There are Palicos and palamutes you craft armor for and customize, you do things around the village, there’s a training area, you send Palicos out to gather materials for you automatically in little mini games, etc. But the combat is the star of the show, and once you learn the mechanics properly, it’s so utterly addicting because you could fight the exact same monster in the exact same quest 30 times in a row and it would never play out the exact same way twice. And every different weapon makes it feel like an entirely new game. There is so much depth and nuance to each and every weapon. It could take 100 hrs mastering just one weapon. Many people have a habit of learning one new weapon for every new MH game that releases.

Edited on by JaxonH

Snatcher

@JaxonH Great guide I'm sure it will help alot of people. I can't remember the name but got any tips for that cannon lance?

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

JaxonH

@Snatcher
Ahhh... the Gunlance (aka the “boomstick”). I got you.

Overview

Actual Move/Combo Tutorial From a Gunlance Main

Edited on by JaxonH

Snatcher

@JaxonH Thanks.

JaxonH

Love this.

Hey Jay! released a YouTube video about the MH Rise demo saying he didn’t like it and wasn’t buying the game. So the Monster Hunter community responded with an outpouring of advice and support, so much so he has decided to play through the entire game of Monster Hunter World, live streaming his journey to becoming a master hunter.

And already, after his first play session, he’s getting sucked in! Here’s his thoughts after session #1

Edited on by JaxonH

JaxonH

Preorder Monster Hunter Rise at Best Buy for a free steelbook case!

It seems different than the EU version. It has a sunset background like the Deluxe version boxart, while the EU version has a daytime sky background like the base version boxart.

Untitled

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Oh snap you beat me to it. Didn’t refresh the page to see your post.

Now where’s our special edition consoles and pro controllers?!!

TeeJay

Been loosely keeping tabs on that youtuber. It's so nice to see the community's response to his criticisms and his reaction to it.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

Tyranexx

I finally dug into the demo yesterday. The missions I did do - the two tutorial missions and the easy level hunt - were quite fun and explained the basics for getting from point A to point B well, but I have a feeling it only scratches the surface of the game. Overall I liked what I played and do plan on spending a little more time with it (I don't often spend too long on demos; I usually know pretty quickly whether or not I'm sold). Definitely looking forward to the game!

JaxonH wrote:

Now where’s our special edition consoles and pro controllers?!!

The console looks pretty cool! Shame I already snapped up a Switch; I want the SE, but I don't need it. XD

The pro controller on the other hand....I'd love if they'd confirm if this is coming to North America so that I know whether I need to import. I actually don't own a pro yet and am hoping to order one soon.

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Ralizah

lol It occurs to me I never actually did the wyvern riding tutorial. I ought to check it out before the demo disappears forever in a few hours.

@JaxonH I'm going to be seriously tempted by that Pro Controller if it's released domestically. Even though I already have one...

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

@TeeJay
Been a long minute since I've seen in in our Line chat, but even longer since I've seen you here.

Welcome back. The MH thread wouldn't be the same without you.

I love seeing new players get sucked into the vortex as their opinions fade from "I hate this" into "so tasty!"

@Ralizah
The demo doesn't go away, it simply can't be downloaded after today. If you've already got it you can play it forever. If the play count hits 30, just delete the save data.

The online won't work after today, but single player and local co-op will.

Should check out the wyvern riding tutorial though. Surprised you haven't figured it out already just from playing the Quests. Basically, wirebug attacks and aerial attacks deal mount damage. Do enough, you can mount with A or with an attack.

Then hold ZR (or R depending on your settings) to move, B to dodge (uses 1 wirebug) and there are 4 attacks. X, A, and X or A while holding back on the analog. That's... basically it. Oh, you can head ram them into walls and stuff with Y. Make them run at a wall and hit Y to thrust them forward at the wall, then immediately hit B to regain your footing. Can do up to 3 times for big damage before toppling them.

@Tyranexx
I imported the MH Switch and Pro Controller just in case. Order now, think later. Can always cancel. It's yet to go live in Japan so, you can still slide an order in there if you monitor Amazon JP constantly and have a Tenso forwarding account set up with address entered into Amazon JP in the event they wall of global shipping.

But let's hope it releases here. I have a feeling it will, but it'll be exclusive to Gamestop, just like the amiibo, and that's why it hasn't been announced yet.

Tyranexx

@JaxonH I'll keep an eye out. I also have a feeling it'll release here, but I can also see it being a retailer exclusive. I just wish they'd announce it already though. XD Another problem is stuff like this tends to go up for pre-order when I'm working, so I often miss out thanks to limited spots and scalpers.

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Ralizah

@JaxonH Ah, gotcha. Good to hear.

No, I figured out wyvern riding on my own. There's... not a lot to it. I just meant it was a section of the demo I hadn't interacted with yet.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

@Tyranexx
Yup. It sold out really quickly in Europe.

Like, I was patrolling all 5 EU Amazon sites looking for listing, and suddenly... BAM! I found it on Amazon Germany. No pictures yet or anything. But it wasn't shipping to the US. Posted it in a small chat I'm in with half a dozen other people. Not half an hour later, another person in the chat responds with, "it ships to US now" and I got an order in, but the Pro controller was already sold out. Managed to squeeze that order in on Amazon France which also sold out in like 20-30 minutes. It's crazy.

Basically just gotta patrol the sites as much as you can. Have a search ran on Amazon Japan on your phone, and just refresh the page whenever it pops in your mind throughout the day, and hope you get lucky.

If I catch anything else go live I'll be sure to post. Trying to monitor Amazon JP.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic