Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter Rise

Posts 4,221 to 4,240 of 4,706

TeeJay

Slowly working my way to MR 100. I've beaten the MR 50 and 70 urgent quest monsters and now I'm sitting at like MR 72 I think. The MR 70 urgent was pretty intense. Carted once and had many close calls after that since the thing just hits really hard. Though I guess I was going in with my elemental attack set rather than my defensive set.

I've taken a bit of time to craft several elemental Switchaxe builds and at some point I'm gonna expand that to my dual blades and get to making a Master Rank glaive and charge blade set as well. Actually I should do that sooner rather than later since I'm earning MR for anything I do in MR quests anyway.

Edited on by TeeJay

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

JaxonH

Just crafted Lunagaron Great Sword to match the Switch Axe (had to make the Barioth GS first to upgrade into it) and I love Strong-arm Stance.

It's not as easy as it looks though. I discovered that with the Switch Axe counter. Needing two wirebugs especially, it's easy to depend on it, then nothing happens when you try to use it, and you get smashed lol. But that'll come in time learning the monsters moves more.

Tomorrow I'm gonna take on Astalos and move up to MR4. Just wanted to finish this set first.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

CJD87

@JaxonH I'm on the MR3 'Urgent Quest' now, and like you, I'm really enjoying taking my time with this expansion... a few hunts a day, nothing too crazy!

Rise was my first MH game, and I've mained Greatsword from the beginning... truly is an awesome weapon, and I can't wait to unlock the Strong-Arm Stance.

The Switch-Skill mechanic is an absolute gift for GS.... it means I can take both Rage Slash and True Charge Slash into a hunt, without having to choose between them! (I'd usually default to RS, but really REALLY want to get better with TCS).

I've just upgraded to a MR 'early-game' set, finally moving away from full-Valstrax and the Narga sword. Using a mixed-set (Ingot Helm/Mail/Greaves with Allow Vambrances and Baggi Coil) with the Red Pincer sword. I've a relatively decent talisman also which is Divine Blessing 2 with 2-2-0, so there is a bit of comfort to mitigate those heavy hits

Have you always played GS? Or usually SA?

CJD87

JaxonH

@CJD87
This guy greatswords 😉

Yes, absolutely. I like to run red scroll with Tackle, True Charge Slash, Charged Slash Combo, Strong-arm Stance and Power Sheathe, and blue scroll with Tackle, Rage Slash, Surge Slash Combo, Hunting Edge and Power Sheathe.

Red scroll with full charge attacks and TCC with Strong-arm Stance is default, but can switch to blue scroll and use Hunting Edge to mount monsters, and use the faster Slash attacks for quick monsters that are hard to hit with charges.

I played Long Sword in MH3U, Insect Glaive in MH4U, Charge Blade in MHGU and World, and Switch Axe in Rise. Wanted to do a new weapon for Sunbreak and Greatsword was looking crazy fun.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

CJD87

@JaxonH Wow and congrats, you sound like you've become a master of GS in no time at all!

I actually started base-Rise with dual blades, and really struggled. A friend of mine told me to use GS as it would 'make me a better player'... which it absolutely did! Such a unique weapon, truly teaches you to learn monster move sets + have the patience to unleash & punish at the right moment.

Few things are as satisfying as landing a fully charged TCS...

One thing I picked up in Sunbreak - yesterday found the option to change the settings for Wyvern Riding, so that it is no longer auto-triggered from hitting the monster. I've turned this off now, and not looked back! So basically now when the monster is in a stunned/rideable state, I can use TCS pretty easily instead (DPS is probably better via TCS, vs riding and slamming the monster into walls etc)

I'm really looking forward to post-MR7 builds for GS, but trying v hard not to rush the content. Still feels a lot like there are numerous new mechanics and elements I haven't even touched in this expansion...!

How are you finding it in general so far? I hear that Rise/Sunbreak is often not viewed as positively by those who played World/Icebourne?

CJD87

JaxonH

@CJD87
Honestly I think it's the best Monster Hunter game ever made. Don't get me wrong- World and Iceborne are exceptional as well. But I prefer Rise and Sunbreak for a number of reasons. The maps are better- best maps in the series imo. The combat is so much more fun with silkbind attacks. Traversal is more engaging with wirebugs. The palamutes make it feel so much better getting around the map. The roster of monsters is better. The weapon move sets are way better, the armor set and weapon designs are way better, and unlike World, you're not constantly interrupted by having to start Quests solo to watch the cutscenes, then abandon and rejoin to play with friends.

I do think World and Iceborne had better cutscenes than Rise (though Sunbreak is helping close that gap), and there are a few other things I think World/Iceborne did better, but overall I think Rise + Sunbreak is a much better game.

I think a lot of the ppl saying otherwise allow the realistic graphics and production values of World + Iceborn to cloud their judgment. And I think some resent Rise + Sunbreak being a Switch console exclusive. But ya, I don't fault anyone for having a preference one way or the other as long as it's an honest opinion. Both games are extraordinary. It's like picking favorites between your children... a true MH fan loves them all!

I agree Dual Blades is a poor choice to start with as it can teach bad habits learning the game. DB have very little animation commitment compared to other weapons. And learning MH is all about learning to manage animation frames. But boy you sure jumped into the deep end with Great Sword! I do also recommend Switch Axe and Charge Blade. Both are incredibly good in Rise.

CJD87

@JaxonH
Interesting to hear such a balanced view on MHW vs MHR... usually this is quite a divisise topic, likely due to people perhaps just having allegiance with 'one system' (PS vs NSW). I got a PS5 last year, and downloaded World as one of the free PS+ games.... but it just felt too 'slow' without wirebugs for me! (I'd already started Rise at this point).

World is absolutely beautiful though, truly a gorgeous game. For sure there are graphical concessions on Switch where Rise is concerned, but it runs great and the multiplayer is an absolute marvel considering hardware limitations.

Ha yes and thanks - GS was definitely deep-end treatment for my first MH game! But I stick by it making me a much better player. Starting with dual blades meant I was playing this game like DMC... obviously not the best way!

How are you finding Strong-armstance? I've not yet unlocked this, but tried it in the demo. Honestly I was struggling to get the timing down, but am I right in thinking you can begin to charge and then activate via L2 mid-charge? And does successful counter then allow you to go straight into RS/TCS? Can't wait to 'git gud' with this new move

CJD87

Ralizah

Played way too many hours today. Hunting mosquitos for mats. Tooling around with my decoration set-ups. Hunting afflicted monsters for new weapons (just created a new long sword and hunting horn).

With that said, other than the MR-tethered urgent quests, I'm totally avoiding higher rank hunts right now, as I'd prefer to clear out the lower level optional quests I missed on the way to unlocking the cap.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

@CJD87
Admittedly World does feel very slow in comparison to Rise. But in fairness, you acclimate to it after a little while, and once you do it starts feeling incredible. I highly recommend World + Iceborn if you ever finish Rise + Sunbreak and are looking for more Monster Hunter to play.

As for SAS, yes you can activate it mid-charge (since normally you'd use ZL + X to activate, but you're already holding X to charge, instead you use ZL + Up on analog). I haven't used it enough to truly get the timing down. Ppl talk alot of crap about weapons with counters being overpowered (longsword, switchaxe, greatsword, etc) but imo it takes a high skill ceiling to use counters effectively. It's going to take some time and practice to get really good with the Strong-arm Stance (as well as the new SwitchAxe counter). I've found many times I tried to do it I didn't have enough wirebugs, or in the case of SwitchAxe, didn't have gage to drain for it which resulted in me getting pummeled trying to activate a counter that wouldn't activate.

This is why Wirebug Whisperer +3 is so crucial for this playstyle. And preferably, a palico that provides endemic life (aka extra wirebug). Lunagaron set comes with WW+3 which makes it an excellent choice for Greatsword and SwitchAxe.

@Ralizah
Sounds like you're going about it the same way I intend to. It's nice seeing you so utterly addicted to this game. Monster Hunter has a tendency to do that

JaxonH

It seems Lance is pretty freaking awesome in Sunbreak. Which I half expected, despite the initial dogpiling and troll laughing for clicks by ppl like Rurikhan.

I may have to give it a try. Probably once I beat the final boss and start knocking out all the Quests, building various armor sets.

CJD87

@JaxonH Thanks for the tips man!

And I agree regarding S-A-S.... for sure it does some serious damage, BUT in my opinion it takes a high degree of skill to pull it off.

Nonethless, I'm excited to unlock it... let you know how I get on!

Give me a shout if you're ever fancying a MP hunt? Sounds like you're not too far ahead in terms of MR rank (although admittedly your skill level will likely overshadow my own ha!)

CJD87

Ralizah

@JaxonH Right platform, right game. Hunts in Rise/Sunbreak are fairly quick and don't require a ton of preparation. Add in a console you can just have with you anywhere, and the 'one more time' factor is strong with this game.

Let me know your availability windows and we'll hunt sometime.

JaxonH

@Ralizah @CJD87
Hey, I'm hunting now if you wanna join. Just beat Astalos for the MR4 mid-rank Urgent and am now about to do Zinogre, Seregios and Almudron to unlock the MR5 urgent.

I'm leaving for Indiana again Monday morning (sigh... like I live there now) and will be in a hotel all next week.

Ulysses

JaxonH wrote:

@Ralizah @CJD87
Hey, I'm hunting now if you wanna join. Just beat Astalos for the MR4 mid-rank Urgent and am now about to do Zinogre, Seregios and Almudron to unlock the MR5 urgent.

I'm leaving for Indiana again Monday morning (sigh... like I live there now) and will be in a hotel all next week.

If you're still hunting, I'm up for joining in! I've definitely succumbed to Monster Hunter's "just one more" addiction. The worst thing for me though is that I never finished crafting some of those High Rank decorations, like Weakness Exploit and Crit Boost, so I'm having a hard time going back to HR to farm, just because I'm still so preoccupied with all the new content.

Absolutely loving Follower/Survey quests by the way! I think it's the perfect way to handle single player-only hunts. The only thing is, I wish you could take Yomogi on a quest too! Luchika is a good consolation prize though, and I love how meme-worthy she is.

Ulysses

JaxonH

Got an Astalos mantle!!! Ya baby!!!

@Ulysses
If you wanna help me do these Quests, come in in! I'll open a lobby. Pass 5477

Ulysses

JaxonH wrote:

Got an Astalos mantle!!! Ya baby!!!

@Ulysses
If you wanna help me do these Quests, come in in! I'll open a lobby. Pass 5477

Sounds good! Just finished a quest, so I'll join shortly

Edit: As a side note, I've realized that turning off every single HUD element transforms the game into a scenic wonderland! Like, it's just funny how the busy HUD ends up distracting you away from just how beautiful and fun it is to travel around a map.

Edited on by Ulysses

Ulysses

JaxonH

@Ulysses
Two jaspers and a Skymerald!

Ralizah

@Ulysses @JaxonH Sorry I couldn't stay on very long. It was fun!

JaxonH

@Ralizah
No worries, thanks for the hunts

Ulysses

@Ralizah No worries, it was great hunting with you!
@JaxonH I carved a skymerald as well!! It was a lucky quest

Ulysses

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic