Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter Rise

Posts 3,141 to 3,160 of 4,706

JaxonH

@FattyWhale_42
I have a lobby. 5477

Got caught up playing and didn't see your message earlier.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

Great hunts.

I really do love Crimson Glow Valstrax and Chameleos. Such great monsters. And that final map, too... Proof of Power is a modern classic.

And the rampage is great for breaking up the monotony of normal hunts. Just realized every time I hunt I end up doing at least 1 rampage every 5 or so quests- they're a great way to keep things fresh. Apex Monsters really do fit the rampage well, too.

Idk what it is, but tonight I was peeling gems like potatoes. Two Serpent orbs back to back, two Rath rubies back to back, one from a tail carve, wyvern and beast gems galore... was almost ready to buy a lottery ticket. Always feels good when you get a streak of luck like that, even if you don't really need them for anything. Which, I don't. I've done every quest, crafted every armor set and weapon I want. There's always more and I'm sure I'll find a use for them somewhere, but ya, it's just playing for fun at this point.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Snatcher

@JaxonH Hey bud, If I remember you were playing around with the SWaxe, And I want to try getting into it for real, I was just playing with my DB boys last week, but on my quest to find a 2nd main I want to try the SWaxe, I Used to hate that weapon but I want to give it a chance, as I hated CB before, In short could you give me tips on it LOL?

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

JaxonH

@Snatcher
Really, should just watch a tutorial video.

It's hard to give tips before you understand the weapon.

It's so good though. I've played all the weapons, and nothing feels as satisfactory as Switch Axe and Charge Blade.

What I will say though, is if you want to learn Switch Axe, you should make a Switch Axe build first. It's hard to appreciate a weapon fully if you don't have skills that complement it. For SA you want Rapid Morph and, if possible, Power Prolonger. Because the weapon is built on switching back and forth between axe and sword mode, any skill that drastically speeds that up is crucial. And Power Prolonger helps Sword Mode stay powered up longer.

Aside from that it's just practice and watch a good tutorial. I do recommend for Switch skills, use Invincible Gambit for the 3rd one. It's one of the absolute best skills in the game bar none. Closes distance with a monster, with super armor, and does mount damage, and only costs 1 wirebug.

Snatcher

@JaxonH Well I know some things, but I have yet to find a reliable quick and easy video to go though.

Edit: speaking of builds I do have a good CB build that can work For Swaxe to, It the bazel armor, for me it has all the base stuff and all thats left for me to do is add to it. I think I will also go for a charm for my skills, and for the type of SWaxe weapon, I think I'm going with rampage, I heard its great bc you can mod it to white sharpness

Edited on by Snatcher

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

JaxonH

@Snatcher
You can but it's only a bit of white sharpness.

Valstrax SA is my preferred weapon of choice. Long white sharpness and a level 2 slot, with dragon element.

But dont neglect blue sharpness with higher raw. Often times you'll come out ahead with a higher raw and blue sharpness. Just do the math. White gives an extra 12% damage vs blue. So multiply the raw damage of a white sharpness weapon by 1.12 and compare that to the raw of a blue sharpness weapon for a pound to pound comparison.

Ibushi is great. Bazel is incredible at 220 raw and blue sharpness (Valstrax at 180 with white still only comes out to 201.6 after accounting for the white).

Just keep in mind, I run Handicraft 2 and Sharpness 3 on all my sets, so I'm getting more sharpness than default. Bazel doesn't have much blue by default but with my setup it's viable. As is Kushala which gets a nice stick of blue and white, Chameleos, and for Rampage I don't even bother with white. Because it has almost no blue and not much white. I go for Sharpness 3 rampage skill with higher raw and massive amount of blue sharpness. Tigrex has crazy high raw at 220 with natural white and no need for handicraft.

Here's a good guide.

I open with

X, X, (side slash, forward slash)
A, A, A, A, A, A (wild swing mashing A)
X (overhead finisher, I mash X after last A)
ZR (Sword Mode- Rising Dbl Slash)
A, A (Triple Slash, Heavenward Flurry)

If my gage is NOT fully charged I attack with X and A some more until it is.

If my gage IS fully charged, I follow with

ZR (Morph Double Slash)
ZR (Morph Slash)
A (Sword Double Slash)

And loop that morphing combo

ZR (Morph Double Slash)
ZR (Morph Slash)
A (Sword Double Slash)
Loop it
ZR (Morph Double Slash)
ZR (Morph Slash)
A (Sword Double Slash)

Edited on by JaxonH

Snatcher

@JaxonH Thanks for the guide I will check it out later. I think I will go for the Tigrex weapon, I have been injoying it with my CB so why not.

Snatcher

So um, I'm going to play later in do the proof of power quest, I have done all 5 Advanced quest by myself, so I think i'm off the hook, So I would like some help with this bad boy, The only thing is I Might not be able to do it today, bc I'm playing with the SWaxe (I'm going to use CB for the quest so don't worry) And I would like Handicraft for The Tgrex one, I might also need to change my armor a bit so I can add Crit eye, (And Sadly the Swaxe doesn't have any slots, so Maybe I should just go for the valstrax one at this point?) So uh if you guys want to join later I will tell yall when the room is open.

JaxonH

@Snatcher
Pretty sure Handicraft does nothing for Tigrex weapons since they’re already maxed out. Even Valstrax weapons, though not maxed out, don’t really benefit from Handicraft as long as you’re running Razor Sharp 3. I would also strongly recommend Speed Sharpening 3 because arena style quests don’t give much time to sharpen.

But ya, Valstrax is my preferred weapon. May not be the strongest in the game but I like white sharpness because it doesn’t bounce on certain areas of monsters that blue can bounce on (Tetranadon’s shell, for example). With Attack III rampage skill the raw goes up to 188 which is decent enough for white sharpness and like 35 dragon element. Plus it just looks good, and I’m a fashion Hunter through and through.

If you want help let me know. I think you can do it yourself though if you tried. It’s tough, but it’s doable. I ran it several times solo now and smashed. Me and TeeJay, we must have set a record time. 15 minutes I think? It was a pretty good run.

The one after Proof of Power is hard too, but not quite as bad IMO because, despite being 3 Apex Monsters, you don’t fight any at the same time. Just 3 back to back to back.

Snatcher

@JaxonH But I could benefit from Critical eye tho right?

I guess I will try it first, if I lose 5 maybe 3 times I will get some help.

JaxonH

@Snatcher
I mean, sure, if that’s your thing.

Personally I’ve never been a fan of attack or affinity based skills, Even though they seem to be what everybody fawns over. Anything that increases the damage you’re outputting is going to be beneficial. You just have to ask yourself whether that slight increase in damage is worth sacrificing another skill that could increase your survivability, or indirectly increase your damage more by making you more efficient. The less time you spend getting hit means more time you spend dealing damage. So skills like evasion and evade distance are worth their weight in gold. Skills like earplugs can keep you alive with multi monster arena quests and provide more windows for damage. Skills like quick sheath can help you get out of harms way and avoid getting hit. Etc etc.

Snatcher

@JaxonH Thanks you have been alot of help, I get hit a lot so I do have alot of skills to help me survive, And I do think quick sheath would be a great idea (I have some already) Bc CB and SWaxe have longer sheath times.

TeeJay

Been on a bit of a break from Rise as I've been playing Miitopia and Subnautica/Below Zero.

However if people want to hunt I'm still up for it. I just haven't really been doing it on my own time as much recently.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

JaxonH

@TeeJay
Do you have PC?

Jumped back into MH World today, since I’ve exhausted pretty much all content in Rise and needed a break from the non-stop binge I’ve been on ever since the first demo dropped, which was like... 4 months ago? Ya. 4 months of playing pretty much nothing else but Rise. Little Mario 3D World, little Bravely Default 2, and a little Persona 5 Strikers in February before the game launched, and a day or two of SMT3 and Trails of Cold Steel IV, but aside from that, it’s been Rise for months on end.

Might also jump back into MHGU, as I probably haven’t even completed half the quests in that game. Still so many monsters I haven’t even fought yet, like White Fatalis. Same is true for Iceborne. World was the only monster hunter game where I just lost interest in finishing it. I think it’s because of the whole PS/PC thing. I didn’t want to pay another $60 for Iceborne MP on PS4, and rebought the game on PC and I didn’t want to start from scratch, so I let it sit and just moved on. Finally I came back and started a new save on PC and I am up to 7 star quests now. But yeah, lesson learned for the future for games not on Switch- just wait for PC from the start. I’d really like to 100% World and Iceborne on PC, but it kinda sucks playing solo. It’s still fun but it’s so much better when you have others to play with also to help with grinding.

A few things struck me going back to World. The first is how immersive the game is, both visually and with respect to audio. So well done. Another thing that struck me is how rigid it feels after playing Rise for 450 hours. It almost felt like going back to MHGU. your character is so slow, and that’s not even accounting for the lack of wire bugs, which just makes it feel all the more rigid. And then no Palamute either? Goodness. I think I just spent an hour and a half searching for Nergigante tracks in Elder’s Recess, and I just couldn’t find the last pair of tracks, and it takes soooooo long running around on foot. Then fighting Uragaan... oh my gosh. Tremors in this game are ridiculous. So is stun. I felt like I was ready to go make a sandwich waiting for my character to get over the tremor animation. So aggravating.

I love this game, but Rise really highlights how, despite being a massive forward stride, it still had a lot of OG Monster Hunter ingrained in its DNA.

Snatcher

@JaxonH Well I have yet to finish my last quest in rise, and I have some G rank quest left in World, (Like Rajing and stuff) and I'm waiting for GU to go on sale.

TeeJay

@JaxonH Yeah I have Iceborne on PC. I got to the end game content of Iceborne but I haven't done all of it. There's a lot of grinding involved, and the absolute final end game monsters (well, one in particular) has a damage check where it will just unleash an unavoidable AOE insta-kill blast everywhere if you didn't manage to do enough damage to break its horn before then.

And yeah you're a lot less mobile in previous MonHuns. You can't just leap away from attacks whenever you want, which I think makes skills like evasion WAY more important there than in Rise. I know you still run evasion in Rise but I still maintain that it isn't a necessary skill with how mobile the player is. Not when evade distance is so good.

Not so in Iceborne, or any MH game to come before. You can't get clean away from lots of attacks so your only choice a lot of the time is to roll straight into them and abuse invulnerability frames.

....went on a little bit of a tangent there. But YES I have Iceborne on PC. I'll try to get back into it but it's gonna be rough.

Edited on by TeeJay

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

JaxonH

@TeeJay
I agree Evasion isn't as important, but I still rely on it as it can be clutch.

I don't think the wirebug is the reason. Switch Axe has Advancing Morph but Charge Blade has no such skill to rely upon, and, you do still take damage with Advancing Morph. But you feel so much less sluggish and can react quicker. It's like movement speed has been increased in general. I suppose that's probably what you mean with Evade Distance. Faster reaction times + long roll = avoid danger. That's true.

But ya, finishing World would be awesome if you want to play with me. I'm nowhere near the end game bosses. I haven't even gotten to master rank and wanted to play every quest in the game, like Rise (not counting endless stuff like Investigations). Eventually when those final end bosses do come, even with the OHK, that's only 2 faints for the both of us, meaning we won't fail the quest (provided we haven't already carted before) and with felyne insurance, the odds can be increased even more.

Edited on by JaxonH

NEStalgia

Does anybody know for certain if the Hub "Tour" quests scale for less players like the star quests do? I never really thought of it, but I'd played with two players in a hub lobby, and did the shrine tour, just testing out weapons, gathering stuff, etc. Rathian and Tobi were 2-shot destroying me over and over. I finally found a Izuchi I figured would be at least easy pickings. I went after that thing for a full 30-40 minutes before it finally went down. I legit almost quit the game permanently it was so irritating, time consuming, and boring. I hadn't played any hub yet and walked away thinking it was the most brutal MH yet, and that's WITH the new scaling (granted I was trying to solo monsters in a 2 player Hub lobby so I expected a little bit tough, but not half hour plus for an Izu and 2-shot Rathian carts.

Then I decided to try an proper "1 star hunt" in the Hub with the same 2 players, and again mostly went to solo the monsters. Izu and Baggi went down relatively easy - it didn't feel THAT much longer than village, and that was soloing in a 2 player lobby, so we should be talking a lot more HP on monsters than village.

Is it possible Tours just always scale for 4 players, unlike the star quests? That certainly felt like it was balanced for 4, where even low end monsters ignore everything you throw at it for half an hour and Rathians are nearly insta-death.

NEStalgia

JaxonH

@NEStalgia
They should all scale the same.

But even scaled for solo, Hub Quest monsters have more HP. It's also possible you weren't fighting as efficiently as you normally do.

I did an Expedition solo yesterday and killed 6 High Rank monsters (was going for the guild card award for killing 5 in one Expedition). Took me about an hour. These included Rajang, Zinogre, Tobi Kadachi, Juryutodas, Mizutsune and Chameleos.

So ya, those hunting times will trim down as you improve.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic