Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter Rise

Posts 3,041 to 3,060 of 3,308

TeeJay

I actually have never once cooked my own meat in this game. That's a thing relegated to the days of old, back before we had services for that...

Now I just have the kitchen cook a batch of hundreds of them instantly and call it a day, lol.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

Northwind

@TeeJay, this is probably not worthy of a spoiler tag at this point, but jsyk there is a guild card award for making a Well Done Steak a certain number of times. (I don't have that one yet but I know it exists. I have made a few myself on long relic hunts, though.)

Edited on by Northwind

I probably have one of the only Nintendo accounts in the world to be able to redownload both the software called 'Sega Mega Drive Classics' and the software called "Sega Ages: Lightening Force."

If you send me a friend request, please @ me so I know who you are. Cheers!

Switch Friend Code: SW-2552-1615-0522 | My Nintendo: Northwind | Twitter:

TeeJay

@Northwind I'm not really collecting those or anything but that's good to know I suppose

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

JaxonH

@Tyranexx
If you think that’s speedy, just wait til you try the Motley Mix at Canteen. They cook however many raw meats into well done steaks as you want. Just pay for it in Kamura points or zenny. And since you can trade for raw meats at the Argosy for Kamura points, you have a pipeline to an endless supply of well done steaks without ever busting out your barbecue spit. Of course, you can still cook them yourself for fun if you want. Brings back a bit of nostalgia for me, at least. Sooo tasty!

I’d say 12 items is a pretty good balance. You don’t want to take so many things that you don’t have room in your item pouch for gathering, and so many things that you get flustered panning through them all. Just bring what you’re actually going to use and maybe one or two items that you might use, and leave it at that.

You may want to try your hand at the arena quests. There’s a Barroth you unlock as the 2nd or 3rd one. It’s a good way to practice against a monster, albeit from a limited choice of weapons. If your main weapon is not one of the available choices you may have a hard time with it, but the arena is good for challenging you to learn different weapons.

I just picked up the gunlance today and made a build. Ohhh... Muah! Chef’s kiss! Every weapon I slide over to just seems to be SO. DANG. GOOD. Gunlance was hard though, because you have 3 shelling types (wide, long and normal), and they have slightly different play styles so that narrows down your choices depending on what you’re looking to get, then on top of that they can have various levels for the shelling, with different shelling ammo capacity. And there are two switch skills that can work for large or low capacity gunlances. One, on a quick reload, refills all your shells but not your wormstake cannon, while the other refills both, but not all your shells. But if it’s a low capacity gunlance then it will fill all of them, or at least... all but one or two. It becomes the better choice. For a gunlance with high shelling capacity, it’s probably better to just go with the skill that refills all the shells. So many choices for your build, and then there’s skills on top of that. Artillery to reduce wyvern fire cooldown by 50% is a must. Razor sharp because it chews through your sharpness like crazy, quick sheath because mobility is low, and repositioning requires sheathing a lot. Guard and Guard Up because, well, it’s a gunlance. Guarding is part of the play style. Evade distance to hop further since mobility is so constrained, but you also need stamina surge because hopping takes up so much stamina, as does guarding. And wirebug whisperer is key because one of the silkbind attacks used most often that eats up 2 wirebugs. It was really hard coming up with the right built for Gunlance, with the right gunlance. But I love it. One more weapon build added to the repository.

Next is great sword. That’s gonna be a challenge. I don’t really play great sword. All I know is it needs Focus to trim down the Level 3 charge time.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: Monster Hunter Rise
PC:
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: Monster Hunter Stories 2, Zelda Skyward Sword HD, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1/2

Jesus is Lord.

TeeJay

I've been eyeing th gunlance as something to look into when I feel like trying another new weapon. Been wanting to try out one of the shield weapons for a while and I've had fun with the gunlance before in 3U. I remember maintaining sharpness being an issue so razor sharp or the classic Master's Touch Crit build seems like it would work well for it, and a certain gunlance-obsessed youtuber I've seen emphasized how important evade extender is for this weapon so that definitely seems like a must too.

@JaxonH I played the Great Sword a lot in GU. It's one of the simplest weapons in the game imo. You quickly fall into a rhythm with it and you get a feel of what attacks you have time to land in a given opening just like any other weapon. There aren't really any additional wrinkles to learn about, it's as straightforward as it gets. You just kinda go unga bunga with it, lol.

I'd call it the hammer of blade weapons but even the hammer has the two stances it can do.

Edited on by TeeJay

JaxonH

Special delivery via European import!

Had a friend, Benson here on NintendoLife, grab the EU variant steelbook for me with daytime background (NA version has sunset background), as well as the MH cards from MyNintendo that wasn't offered here in the US.

Untitled

Untitled

PLAYING
PC:
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

JaxonH

@TeeJay
Rurikhan lol. The only gunlance obsessed YT there is 😉

I did make a build with full Guard 5, Guard Up 3, Evasion 5, Evade Dist 3 but I've found sacrificing the Evasion, sacrificing 2 of the Guards, and sacrificing 2 of the Evade Dist is worth it to get all the other skills like Wirebug Whisperer 3, Razor Sharp 3 and Stamina Surge 3.

Evade Distance 3 hops you so far out of position it can be a real hindrance if not used with precision. I find 1 to get me out of harm's way and close the gap, without putting me off in the parking lot on a back hop.

One gunlance silkbind is a counter, similar to the charge blade silkbind counter, except it's super short. But it refills a bit of sharpness if you land it. Not sure it's worth the risk for a bit of sharpness when you could just Guard, especially since mistiming could land you with half your health bar gone, but if you know the monster well enough it's probably a great option.

For Great Sword, I know a lot of people used to run skills for draw attacks. Punishing Draw, Crit Draw, and obviously quick sheath would be a must. Maybe slugger, Idk.

But ya, it seems relatively simple compared to other weapons, but also hard to master as proficient use relies on intimate knowledge of a monster's move set. Definitely a weapon for advanced users, but in a different way than more complex weapons like Gunlance, Charge Blade, Switch Axe or Insect Glaive.

PLAYING
PC:
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Snatcher

I have yet to play any rise last week, I have been play waaay to much of world, I got to the flagship aaaaaand, I keep getting my ass kicked, and timing out, But the issue is not with my weapon, (And I have my current armor maxed out) But it the fact that i'm just not attacking it enough, I keep timing out bc of it, and I almost got it last time, bc I wasn't just attacking the tail (Which is a pain in the ass to hit btw) I'm also being to careful. I got a defense tailsman, and hopefully I beat it this time, after I do I will go and play more of rise, bc I want to get the bazel set and fight the rest of the elder dragon's.

I also re did my character on world, (It was my first monster hunter game) I did like how I made him, look so I used my only voucher, and mad a new character, I turned it female this time, and I really liked how she turned out. any way I just needed to vent about this bc It has been annoying me (I have been playing nothing but mh for the past 4 weeks) But its only going to get harder from here.

A sky with stars so bright the colors feel so right I nev, Uh I mean. I'm a Among us plus sonic fan. I have also been playing a unheathy amount of MHR (Don't try to stop me)

DomGC

@Snatcher is that the actual fight against Nergigante or one of the encounters with the Bub earlier on?

Either way, try to break his spikes while they're bright (I'm not sure if someone tells you about that or not) because that makes him trip. A lot.

A. WHOLE. LOT. lol

Makes him much easier, imo, the black spikes are a pain because the hitzone turn to utter ***** and he can dive bomb with fully grown spikes.

DomGC

Snatcher

@DomGC Nah its for iceborne.

A sky with stars so bright the colors feel so right I nev, Uh I mean. I'm a Among us plus sonic fan. I have also been playing a unheathy amount of MHR (Don't try to stop me)

Snatcher

Ok I did it finally, but why I would keep timing out, was not my armor, not my weapon, But it was bc, I was not using the clutch claw, I looked it up and people keep't saying use the clutch claw, I needed to keep the damage on, plus I was able to doge lots of attacks by going for the face so, Know I know I'm going to be using the clutch claw a whole lot more.

Ulysses

@Snatcher The crutch claw is what made me quit Iceborne early. It's far too frustrating to add a mandatory damage upkeep mechanic, that you had to execute twice for light weapons, that you had to reapply in just a couple minutes, that applied for every single monster and every single quest.

It would have been different if clutch claw's tenderized parts were treated like broken parts, and was permanent for the whole quest. Then I would have enjoyed the mechanic! But that kind of ridiculous damage upkeep on top of your own weapon's damage upkeep was just too much for me. I already dealt with that with 4U's Apex, and even that wasn't nearly as bad (simply sharpen your weapon with the Apex item). Not to mention the fact that it was only isolated to certain quests, that you would do for specific items. Not spread out to the whole G rank expansion for every single monster. Imagine needing the Apex item for every single G rank monster in 4U!

It's now made me worried wondering what new gimmick they might possibly add to Rise's G rank expansion...

Edited on by Ulysses

Ulysses

JaxonH

@Ulysses
Nope.

Those types of gimmicks are only from the games by the other producer. Ichinose, who handles the portable entries, has never done that type of thing. Portable 3rd, MHGU and MH Rise have all been gameplay focused without the types of mechanics seen in MH4U and MHWI, both of which were done by the other team.

That's one of many reasons some people say they prefer the portable team's games most.

PLAYING
PC:
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Snatcher

@JaxonH Oh there are two teams. Explain's a lot.

Snatcher

Ok So I know all I have really posted have been nothing but rants, but I need to get this off my chest.

I never thought I would dislike myself, but I kinda do, I don't really like the LS, and there is one just one reason I don't like the weapon. Look now I have never played the older classic MH (Plan on doing that later this year) But I know in world before iceborn, The long sword was like the dancing weapon, you would have like three main attack's, Now it may sound simple (And it kinds is) you had to learn to doge the monster, ( or use FS slash) bc you didn't have to many attacks, and you needed to know when to use your power slash attacks, plus this weapon was, "cut the tail, cut the tail!" the weapon, I mean it had it screaming all over it (and as a guy who just loved cutting tails I had to get one), now that that's all out the way Let me get into why I hate this weapon now.

Wile with the older LS had you use basic to understand attack's that made you time when to start powering up the sword, this new ls is just, Parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry, oh fully charged, didn't even see that bc I was to busy parrying, Parry parry parry parry parry Sharpen Parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry (hey uh your tripping me, and maybe you can go for the tail?)
Parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry
Parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry parry
Monster dies "Oh I did it, well that was easy,"

Ok I may be overdoing it but all I did see when I went online, was nothing but parrying LS, also, and maybe I don't remember, but I never saw that many LS player's before iceborn, and it's so dumb, that's all the LS is at this point, nothing but parry's, and that's why people will call it a easy no skill weapon, and I don't want to be "That guy" but, and I didn't feel like this before iceborn, but I really think they need to nerf it, its waaay to busted, (and I know any weapon is great if used right, and there really is no bad weapon) but my god, Its not fun (And I never have done the Parry plays style) I mean it's cool to do it every now and again, and maybe if your having a hard time not getting hit by a attack, then sure, But danm, (At least in world they punished you if you miss your parry, unlike rise) Parry is not that hard to do, I figure'd out how to parry easy, in less then 10 minutes.

Look, This is just me venting (Ya nothing new) but I love the hell out of mh world and rise, not matter how bad the hitbox, no matter how annoying the fight, and I have been maining the CB anyway (2nd main btw) but man all I want is LS to be respected, (idk if it ever was as I started with world) and the time players do, which I like about the community, is that they will tell you, they don't hate the sword, and not the player. and if you tell them, I go for tall's, there fine with you, bc your doing you job.

so if you have been reading this rant, then thank you, and i'm just venting, bc if I was to give a whole reason as to why I like just one monster it would be this long, its not bc I hate the games. I'm also going to try to play GU later this year so.

TeeJay

Meanwhile I couldn't get the hang of parrying in the demo and never tried again since.

Snatcher

@TeeJay Hey um I wanted to ask you but, do you happen to main CB by any chance?

TeeJay

@Snatcher I've only ever used the Charge Blade during MHW low rank and pretty quickly got sick of whiffing my super big payoff attack, lol.

Snatcher

@TeeJay You think you can give me any tips? I have been using it in iceborne for a long time, up to the flagship, But still if there is anything i'm missing, I would like to know.

TeeJay

@Snatcher I barely remember how to use the thing. It wasn't even all of low rank that I used it, sorry

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic