Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter Rise

Posts 101 to 120 of 4,148

Ralizah

I didn't play a LOT of MH4U online (something I'm going to rectify when Rise comes out, as this is going to be a great game to play with the NL MonHun community), but my limited interactions with the broader community were fairly positive.

On another positive note, an IRL friend of mine who I hunted with before, but who fell off after MH4U, is also pretty excited for Rise.

Ralizah

urrutiap

While we all here in the U.S. waiting until next year in March 2021 for Monster Hunter Rise and Monster Hunter Stories 2, ive been playing Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate and been doing some of the main game story quests involving the new Valstrax. Just fought a Hermitaur for some airship upgrade. Now I have to do the Nerscylla ore thing.

I also still need to jump into Monster Hunter Stories 1 but Im not going to rush through that game. ill take my time with it when I have the chance to do so this month or in October

urrutiap

JaxonH

@urrutiap
I played MH Generations Ultimate all the way through with my bro, to the end of G rank which, you’re gonna see a Monster way cooler than Valstrax

But I hope Valstrax returns for Rise. Gosh that Monster was awesome.

@Northwind
World gave you a slot (and later 2 slots) to equip mantles, these cape like add ons that gave you buffs when you used them (put them on). The buff would last for a few minutes and then you would have a cool down timer to use it again. Rocksteady mantle protected against tremors and roars, ghillie mantle let you be invisible to monsters until you attacked, etc. The fact you could equip two of them and have them on a rotation for their cool downs meant half the hunt was spent with these crazy buffs. You could also equip other stuff in the slot like this spike you could hammer into the ground that sprayed healing mist for a few minutes.

And the maps were so big you would actually get multiple camps you could start from. You started with one but as you explored, you’d discover new areas you could use as camp sites, and from that point forward you could start a hunt from either campsite. Some maps had as much as four different campsites.

@Ulysses
Aside from a brief 50 hour stint with Heavy Bowgun in Gen Ult, i’ve never really been a gunner. I’ve just always preferred to get up close and personal. But some people absolutely love it. In either case it probably won’t affect me because I don’t plan on gunning anyways. But for your sake I hope they do it justice.

@Ralizah
MH community has historically been The most welcoming community I’ve ever seen. Back in MH3U, sure there were the occasional elitists you would run into- In fact I recall joining a lobby once with three other people who all had Kelbi bow guns, and instead of starting the hunt they just sat there waiting for me to leave because they felt anyone who didn’t have that weapon was inferior. And that angered me because I was a really good hunter back then who could hang with the best of the best.

You’re always going to have people like that but by and large the community was incredibly eager to help new people and took great joy in showing new hunters the ropes. When MH4U released, The community definitely took a turn for the worse because of all the new players that were pouring into the franchise. A lot of the etiquette was lost in hunts, such as the common courtesy to never trip someone up when they’re carving, always saying hi when you join a hunt and always thanking others for the hunt afterwards. These new players were never taught this etiquette and/or had no desire to follow it.

Then World released and dialed up the selfishness to 11. Any remnant of community was completely destroyed with World. And it’s not really the games fault, just like it wasn’t the fault of MH4U, It’s just the any time you have that many new players joining a franchise you’re going to lose a lot of that personal touch and closely knit community you had before.

We can’t do anything about the new players that will be engaging, and not only will a ton of new players be jumping in but there’s going to be a whole swath of fans from World who will also be playing, But we can still follow that etiquette ourselves and set the example as best we can for others. The community will only be as good as we make it.

PLAYING
NS: Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes, Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak, Neon White, TMNT Shredder's Revenge, Sonic Origins, AI Somium Files Nirvana Initiative
STEAM: Monster Hunter World
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

Ulysses

@Northwind Well yes, perhaps on a very technical level we could be coordinating through a dedicated thread, but I think grouping up with people intent on playing together in Rise is still a respectable use of this thread!

@Varkster Unfortunately small subgroups of toxic elitists exist in Monster Hunter as well, people who insist on min/maxing skill sets and only hunting with those who also min/max, as well as refusing to hunt with "deadweight" weapon classes. They're in the small minority however, thank goodness.

@JaxonH Oh goodness gracious, the Kelbi bow meta! Good times. Hilarious to watch, but it got old faster than a 4-player speedrun.

Also, "brief stint ...50 hours" I just had to chuckle a little. Brief for me is like, 5 quests! xD

I also enjoy Blademaster weapons, but for years I just always loved the "mage" class of an RPG, and I love the resource management aspect of Bowguns, managing your ammo like a survival sim.

@Northwind To JaxonH's point, the mantles amounted to Overwatch powers, free abilities with cooldown timers. It just felt cheap and game-y and un-Monster Hunter.

However, if the new website press briefing is anything to go by where Capcom says, "a new, approachable Monster Hunter" then I'll have to accept the likelihood that most of the mainstream conveniences from World are returning to Rise. It's inevitable I suppose.

Edited on by Ulysses

Ulysses

Tyranexx

@Varkster In games with team play, I'd understand some disappointment from fellow team members. But if someone is actively trying to learn and making mistakes along the way, bashing them for it without helping them improve would definitely dissuade many off of a game entirely.

Currently playing: Ys I & II Chronicles+ (PC; Ys I: Omen), Gato Roboto (Switch)

Feel free to send me a Switch friend request, but please tell me first. Otherwise, I probably won't accept.

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Switch Friend Code: SW-3478-2466-4791

Tyranexx

@Northwind Can we help it if Amaterasu is awesome?

I usually rotate mine every month or two. Might change mine next month to something more Halloween-themed....Or I'll wait until near the holidays.

Currently playing: Ys I & II Chronicles+ (PC; Ys I: Omen), Gato Roboto (Switch)

Feel free to send me a Switch friend request, but please tell me first. Otherwise, I probably won't accept.

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Switch Friend Code: SW-3478-2466-4791

Varkster

Read some fun comments on YouTube claiming this game looks worse than MHGU and genuinely wondering what type of greens lockdown got these people smoking?

@Tyranexx Just wait for the inevitable Amaterasu skin for the Palamutes.

Edited on by Varkster

Varkster

JaxonH

@Varkster
Those people are just upset at how good it looks.

Most people’s’ reactions have been, “holy crap it looks WAY closer to World, that’s for sure” and “it looks too good for Switch”. And that’s not just Nintendo fans, that’s the PS/Xbox/PC guys on YouTube like Maximilian Dood who almost never cover Nintendo Switch news.

It’s for sure not as pretty as World, but that’s obvious because World was running on WAY more powerful consoles. But it’s shockingly similar given the portable hardware. Ya, it’s a little rough here and there, some pop in, some low res base textures for the ground, but as a whole, it’s way closer to World than Gen Ult. And people know that. That’s why they react in anger.

But make no mistake- the vast majority of reactions in YT comments has actually been positive. I can’t even count how many times I read, “looks like I’m buying a Switch”. This game is going to sell so many Switches to people who otherwise wouldn’t have bought one.

PLAYING
NS: Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes, Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak, Neon White, TMNT Shredder's Revenge, Sonic Origins, AI Somium Files Nirvana Initiative
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

Grumblevolcano

I do think we will get a new Switch model launching around the time of this game, only expecting a New 3DS style upgrade but I think it'll be enough to do stuff like improve the handheld performance of XC2.

Sony's deception a few days ago and Microsoft's cross gen plans suggests that current gen consoles will probably get 1st party cross gen support for the next 2-3 years hence we won't truly see next gen until like 2023 which would also be the release year of the Switch's successor judging by the "we're about halfway through the Switch's lifespan" comment.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ulysses

@Grumblevolcano This is why I'm not expecting a Switch 2 upgrade, or any major upgrade that alienates the OG Switch install base. After N3DS-exclusive game sales numbers combined with precedent set by PS4 Pro and X1X, I strongly believe they will go the PS4 Pro route instead of the "Only for N3DS" route for the next three years.

@JaxonH Fully agree, just salty trolls posting flame bait.

And at this point, I have to say that I will take the pop-in and low res ground textures in order to have the beautiful grass stalks flowing in the wind, making it look like Ghost of Tsushima as the character rides through the map; in order to have the huge, seamless maps; in order to have the World-like monster models; in order to have more expansive and impressive verticality in the map design than ever before. I mean, at some point, the Switch processing power will have to make real compromises like these in order to have the much more important features that are being implemented in Rise, and I don't mind that.

Edited on by Ulysses

Ulysses

JaxonH

Sounds about right. Nintendo got off schedule with Wii U flopping, but it worked out for the best. 3 new consoles competing at the same time never worked out well for Nintendo anyways. Now they’re on a schedule where they release a new console mid-gen when there isn’t any competition, and can release a small upgraded revision around the time other consoles are releasing. I’m still 50/50 on whether we’ll actually see an upgraded Switch in March, but it’s certainly a possibility. And would be fantastic for playing the new MH game.

And really, if there’s ONE GAME that could make people reconsider buying a PS5/XSX and instead buy a Switch, it’s a new exclusive Monster Hunter. I’ve seen soooooo many comments from people saying they’re buying a Switch now, even instead of a PS5. This is exactly the game Nintendo needed at the exact time they needed it to ensure Switch remains relevant going into next gen. And, they probably would have anyways, but to a different group of people. This is the first game since Breath of the Wild where I’ve actually seen the PS/Xbox/PC community talking about Switch. Of course, many of them are trying to stick their heads in the sand and ignore it, but they’ll come around once the game releases and everyone is talking about it.

MH always did crazy numbers on portable systems. But now, since they made a big budget game for other platforms to get everyone hooked, releasing the next entry on Switch will see those people follow in massive numbers. Releasing World really did wonders for the series, and is indirectly benefitting the Switch now, and Switch gamers. We never would have gotten such a high budget entry on Switch if not for the success of World. That game deserves its due.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

Anti-Matter

Just curious.
Is there any mini games / something relaxing when grinding level or hunting the monster sometimes kinda tiring?

Top 8 Konami's Rhythm games:
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Ralizah

Anyone comparing this disfavorably to MHGU is just being a fanboy, lol. This looks vastly better than that game did. It looks like what I'd imagine a really good Monster Hunter World Switch port would look like.

Now let's just hope that footage wasn't showing the game running on the Switch Pro. I'm not in the market for a new Switch anytime soon, and I'd prefer to not play a gimped version of the game.

Ralizah

Ulysses

@Anti-Matter There is actually a lot of downtime between hunting the monsters with gathering miscellaneous resources and materials between quests. Monster Hunter really began as emulating the "Hunter-gatherer" experience, and there used to be a lot of farm-sim-esque gathering in past games.

World diminished this to some extent, making it easier than ever to focus only on going straight for the monsters 24/7.

But to answer your question, a lot of side quests and resource management still exist in World, and likely in Rise, where you can just gather ingredients like herbs / mushrooms / etc., slay small monsters in a more casual manner, or just go exploring in the beautiful maps at your own leisure doing all or any of the above, like a free-roam mode so to speak.

Edited on by Ulysses

Ulysses

JaxonH

@Ralizah
I don’t think they’d show it on Switch Pro hardware, because then later they’d have to show on normal Switch hardware and people wouldn’t react well to that. If an upgraded Switch is coming, I imagine they showed base Switch footage, and will show off the game on the new hardware after it’s revealed.

That being said, even if it was shown on a new Switch, it won’t change how well it can run on the current Switch. It runs how well it runs. It is what it is. And running better on a Pro won’t change how it runs on the base Switch. All this to say, the experience you’re gonna get is the experience you’re gonna get, irrespective of whether a Pro exists or not. A Pro existing won’t impact the experience you will have.

PLAYING
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

JaxonH

New factoids about Monster Hunter Rise from the dev team:

• Built upon the seamless exploration of Monster Hunter World
  • Players and monsters can move between areas without loading screens
  • More creatures will be shown in the coming months
  • One of the game’s features is the broad variety of monster types
  • Free content after launch
  • Using RE Engine reconfirmed
  • Targeting 30 frames per second
  • Traditional but fresh Monster Hunter experience
  • Retains all of the DNA of the Monster Hunter series
  • Not considered a derivative or spin-off title
  • The Monster Hunter team is more interested in naming the products in a way that represents what they have to offer

PLAYING
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

Ulysses

@Ralizah @JaxonH A great answer to this question is when we will see them play live gameplay at TGS. They usually show the person sitting there holding the console, so I imagine we'll see them playing on an OG Switch as they demonstrate the gameplay.

Ulysses

Anti-Matter

I can imagine a new bundle of Switch 2 / Pro with Monster Hunter Rise and or Stories 2 on year 2021.
What colors could be for the Joy Cons and possibly body tablet and dock ?

Top 8 Konami's Rhythm games:
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

JoyBoy

I wonder if they'll implement a split screen coop mode, something like they had on Wii, because of the whole "share the fun" thing the Switch is known for. Not expecting it but it would be cool.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Ralizah

@JaxonH I dunno. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate was significantly smoother on the New 3DS vs the older hardware (not unplayable on the OG 3DS, of course, but there was a marked improvement). So when they show off a game that has people saying: "This looks too good to be running on the Switch," well... maybe it is. We'll see. Just as long as it's not a Hyrule Warriors Legends-esque performance split, it'll probably be fine.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic