Forums

Topic: Metroid Dread

Posts 761 to 780 of 862

gcunit

@thiz I'm skeptical that many people finished the game, on their first playthrough and without following any guides or watching any videos, in 5-8 hrs.

And even if they did, WGAF? Just play for your own enjoyment. You will hit moments of frustration, but they can all be overcome with a bit of persistence and attention to detail.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

link3710

My first playthrough clocked in at 12 hours on the in-game timer and around 15-16 IRL (Deaths don't count and loading screens don't count on the in-game timer). Just take your time, enjoy the scenery.

link3710

NintendoByNature

Yea, my in-game time was 8:30ish and I'm pretty sure it's actually over 10 hours in total. I didn't get every item though, or it would've taken longer.

NintendoByNature

TheVoid

I just got the phantom cloak and have no idea where to go next. It doesn't seem very obvious 😔

TheVoid

gcunit

@TheVoid If you have access to an EMMI zone that still has an active EMMI in it, you probably will progress from working through that zone and reaching the point where you have to take down the EMMI. If you've already terminated the EMMI then you probably want to travel to another map area.

Tendo64

thiz wrote:

@NintendoByNature Thanks mate. Metroidvanias were never really my thing, but I just really wanted to play this for obvious reasons. I am getting there, but I will probably end up playing 10-15 hours while others finish it in 5-8

They don't hand out gold medals for beating Metroid Dread quick smart ... just enjoy the game, take your time, and you'll get there when you get there. Never understood people (not you) wanting to make it a race anyway ... especially when there's nothing at stake. The dick-swinging around completion times is pretty sad, to be honest.

Edited on by Tendo64

Switch Friend Code: SW-7976-6692-0199

TheVoid

@gcunit that's what's not obvious though lol. Am I missing something? How are you supposed to know?

TheVoid

Buizel

Anyone else get into the rest of the series after enjoying (or in the lead up to) Metroid Dread?

I absolutely loved Dread having never really played a Metroid game before (I had given Prime and Super a go but never got more than an hour or so in).

Now I've decided to play the rest of the 2D games in story-line order, having now completed Zero Mission, and I'm currently mid-way through Samus Returns.

Zero Mission was enjoyable, but I could very much tell it was a remake of an NES game - feeling a lot more compact and limited in scope compared to Dread. I did enjoy it for what it was, although I found the backtracking to be a little tedious sometimes and often a little obtuse. Plus, save for a few tracks, I didn't really like the soundtrack - maybe it's the limitations of the GBA sound chip but most tracks felt annoying rather than atmospheric to me. A fun time but not one I think I'll come back to.

Samus Returns is more my cup of tea. Mercury Steam have really nailed Samus' controls in these last two games - though button mapping can be a bit fiddly, moving, shooting, and melee countering is just so satisfying. The controls alone probably make this far more enjoyable than Zero Mission for me, but I also really like the structure. Progressing sequentially through several areas with numerous metroids to defeat somehow feels like the best of both linear and nonlinear game design. Tedious backtracking is limited, but you also feel like you're left to your devices in any new area, and finding things by your own accord. I'm only maybe 40% through this game but I'm really enjoying it.

Dread remains my favourite - largely because of all the modern flair that comes with being a 2021 title (improved controls, visual and sound design, quality of life).

I think I'll take a break before playing Super and eventually Fusion. There's only so much Metroid a man can take! I do wonder how much modernity factors into my enjoyment of these games. Will I like these titles as much as Dread and Samus Returns? Or will they fall alongside Zero Mission in my mind as decently enjoyable, but not stand-out titles?

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

Bolt_Strike

@Buizel Most of the modern conveniences you like from SR and Dread started in SR, things like melee countering and free aim were first introduced in that game. And no other Metroid has a mechanic like the Metroid hunting, the rest are typical Metroidvanias where you have to collect one upgrade to progress towards the next (with the exception of the original Metroid which is pretty much open exploration and you can collect just about whatever powerup you want, but that game is incredibly simplistic and doesn't feel at all like a Metroidvania, so I wouldn't bother with it, ZM is far superior). Super is typically beloved because it's rife with very easy sequence breaks, but beyond that, Super and Fusion have more in common with ZM than SR. The long gap in between ZM and SR allowed them to add a ton of QoL features in the formula that set the recent games apart from the older ones.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

gcunit

@Buizel I think so long as you're able to put yourself in a mindset of 'This is 1994', then you'll find Super Metroid is a standout. Probably best played with a SNES controller.

Buizel

@Bolt_Strike @gcunit Yeah these comments are more-or-less aligned with my expectations of Super Metroid. I'm definitely looking forward to it!

At least 2'8".

NEStalgia

I finally beat that jerk! That was infuriating, and I think I got a Billy Mitchell Run o' Luck where he mostly used the easier attacks. But I got it. And I never want to do it again.

NEStalgia

HydroDynamic

100% Normal mode, will 100% Hard mode.

Currently playing Link's Awakening DX.

mr_somewhere

So I've play through Dread four times and every time I play it I learn a little bit more about the sequence breaking and learn to appreciate it that much more. My best time so far is just under three hours. I can't remember the last time I experience such pure joy just playing a game. Now that we've had some time to let the experience digest where would people place it? If we're thinking just 2-D games this is probably going to go right under Super for me. Super or Prime are probably always going to be my favourites so I am more than a little biased.

Switch ID: SW-5759-3188-0977

mr_somewhere

@Balta666 Zero Mission is an incredible game but it just doesn't have the atmosphere to hook me like Super and Dread does. It's very addictive to do repeat runs and go for time and, prior to Dread, I'd say it had the best feel of any of the 2-D games.

Switch ID: SW-5759-3188-0977

Balta666

@mr_somewhere I have to confess zero mission was the first metroidvania I ever finished and the one that hooked me into the genre (I have tried super before but at the time Samus movement felt odd and I got either Lost/dead and said... "Not for me") and was my number one until recently but now that I that I have finished every entry several times I have to assume super is a masterpiece.
For me metroidvania is about being lost but not about being chased and that is something only one game surpasses it imo and that game is hollow Knight (also it has the perfect length not too short and not too long either)

Edited on by Balta666

Octane

16 hours in and still going.

Octane

JoyBoy

@Octane wait wut? 16 hours in and still your first run!? I like your style man!

Edited on by JoyBoy

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

pikku

@Buizel Be warned; the controls in Super might throw you for a loop the first hour or so, especially when compared to modern games. Even the GBA games introduced streamlined controls to the series that Super is lacking... But once you get back in the groove you,ll be pulling off wall jumps and blasting away enemies like a pro. The overall world and tone of Super is unbeatable imo. Hope you enjoy when you get around to them!

pikku

3DS Friend Code: 1891-1165-2008 | Nintendo Network ID: pikmaniac

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic