Forums

Topic: Metroid Dread

Posts 621 to 640 of 862

I-U

If you decide to go for 100%, make sure you save your progress regularly. I just went through 2 hours of getting the rest of the items and, once I saw I had gotten 100% in all areas, went right into the final boss fight as a way to wrap up the completion session. It will not save your progress to your file stats after beating that boss, you go back to your last save and your file will show those previous stats. I still have the Chozo Archives fully unlocked, but my file says 88% instead of the 100%. Later today after I wake up I'll go back in, recollect and get that number corrected.

Edited on by I-U

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

Mountain_Man

So I beat the sword guy. I figured out how to exploit his movement algorithm and beat him in probably the most boring way possible. Basically, jump to the platform on the left, then the one on top, wait for him to follow, drop straight down, wait until he moves to the right to follow, run to the left, wait for him to drop down and fire missiles as he prepares to attack, jump up to the platform on the left, etc.; repeat until he's dead.

If you do it right, you can beat him without taking a single hit.

Edited on by Mountain_Man

The Mountain Man

James_Bond

JaxonH wrote:

@James_Bond
This game isn't even in the same city block as Ghosts and Goblins in terms of difficulty. Not even remotely.

I'm gonna speak frankly here, and I hope nobody takes offense. But ppl have become so pampered these days, that any game that offers even the slightest whiff of difficulty suddenly gets lumped in with Dark Souls, Ghosts and Goblins, etc.

There are brutally difficult games (Dark Souls, Ghosts and Goblins) and there are games which offer a satisfying challenge (Monster Hunter, Donkey Kong Country, Metroid).

Now, I do understand that different gamers have different levels of skill. That's definitely true. And because so many gamers haven't really played games with satisfying challenge, its highly probably some will perceive the game to be hard. I knew ppl who took 10+ tries to beat certain DKC Tropical Freeze bosses. They're just not as skilled in 2D games as many others.

Just know that this game isn't on the level of Dark Souls or Ghosts and Goblins. Even for an unskilled player, you're gonna get way farther in this game with way less frustration than either of those. It's just not that kind of game.

Seems all games nowadays are either laughably easy or brutally difficult. But Metroid is a game that hits that perfect sweet spot in the middle. Oh, you'll get tested. You'll die some. But it's not that bad. Especially with how the game pampers you with modern amenities like instant restart from 10 seconds ago.

I owe you a beer I think! lol. So I went and got the game the other day, enjoying it, then got frustrated with it, wanted to sell it (for about ten seconds), then carried on. Got extremely frustrated with the first boss, died four times and decided it's just too damn hard, I've had enough. Gave myself a five minute break, went back and kicked his butt (barely taking any damage myself). That felt so good beating him! I'm flying through the game now, and loving it!

Cheers for twisting my arm.

James_Bond

GrailUK

@James_Bond Yeah, I'll happily echo what Jax said. Nintendo games are very rarely out to give you a hard time. And much like most things. persevere and you'll get there eventually. (This game has that feel good feeling of finally cracking a piece of the puzzle in spades!)

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Octane

lol. I beat DKC Tropical Freeze 100%, but I died many times during the boss fights.

Octane

GrailUK

@Octane I believe the kids say 'git gud' these days. (Honestly, their spelling is atrocious!)

(just a joke. I wouldn't dream of saying that to someone other than poking fun.)

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

JaxonH

@James_Bond
Right on man, that's awesome!

It really does feel good to overcome. The pleasure you get from that dopamine surge as you finally beat a boss you died to several times is what makes the game so rewarding to play.

That rewarding feeling only comes through overcoming a challenge that tests you, and you can't have challenges that test you without dying. The key is making it as easy as possible for the player to try again, and, getting the difficulty just right so that with a few tries practicing, the additional skill you gain through experience is enough to push you over the threshold needed to win.

Too many games use difficulty to attain that rewarding feeling for the player, but fail in making it easy to try again, and fail in nailing the sweet spot where it just takes a few tries to get the pattern down and/or solve the puzzle needed for how to win.

So glad to hear you did it and are now having a blast. I think most new players hit a bit of a wall with Metroid their first time, but once you understand the rules of the game and the principles upon which it operates, it's fun as heck.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Gamer83

Finished my first playthrough, love it, my favorite Switch game and I have no problem saying it's one of my favorites for any system over the 3 decades I've been gaming.
Samus awakening the Metroid DNA inside of her was crazy and sets up all sorts of possibilities for future entries in the series. Hopefully it won't be another 19-year wait.

Gamer83

JaxonH

@Gamer83
I haven't finished it yet, but so far it's been incredible, and has instilled in me a new-found respect for 2D Metroid, as I never knew it could reach the same heights as the Prime series. Clearly I was wrong.

I don't think it will be another 19 yrs. We have Metroid Prime 4 in development, which will, at most, be a cross-gen launch title for Switch 2 (so only 3 yrs away at most). And with Samus Returns having dropped in 2017, along with Dread in 2021 and Prime 4 in the kitchen, not to mention the rumored Metroid Prime 1 remaster/remake, I think it's fair to say Samus is back.

I suspect Dread will easily top 3 million sold by the time Nintendo's March 2022 annual shareholders meeting, which would make it the best selling game in the series in less than a yr. And if such a sales surge was enough to land Fire Emblem a premium focus, it should do the same for Metroid.

And THANK GOD. Ever since I watched my brother play Metroid Prime on the GameCube 20 yrs ago, I've been in love with this series. I immediately bought a platinum GameCube bundle with Metroid Prime, and bought Metroid Prime 2 as well. MP2 was my first- and ya, I was so utterly engrossed in that game I spent 8-10 hrs a day playing it, from sun up to sun down, even having dreams about the Ing- that's how much I was playing it. And it has remained on my "favorite video game of all time" list ever since (though there have been some games which have challenged it, such as Monster Hunter World and Rise, Zelda Breath of the Wild, etc). I'm not sure I like Dread quite as much as Metroid Prime 2, but it's up there. Probably my 2nd favorite in the series, easily my favorite 2D Metroid, and definitely in my top 10 games of all time list.

Metroid is just so good. I need more... I NEED MORE!!!!

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Gamer83

@JaxonH
I like the Prime series but it's 2D Metroid that's always been at the top of my list, loved those games since my friend let me try 2 on the Gameboy way back in 1992. This entry is as good as it's ever been. I'm trying not to be prisoner of the moment but if it's not my favorite in the series, it's no. 1a with Super Metroid. Just a phenomenal game, feels old school, has a nice challenge but due to the good things modern gaming brings, like fair checkpoints, it never reached the point of extreme frustration. Ruined other games for me, not going to lie. I have some I recently purchased but it's going to be a while before I want to play something else. Had high expectations and, somehow, Nintendo and Mercury Steam met every one of them.

Gamer83

Tendo64

DarthNocturnal wrote:

I'm excited to see what happens once the speedrunning community cracks Dread open.

Watching some of the boss fights on YouTube, I'm convinced there's people using the old 'turbo' setting on the shoot button, somehow. Their rate of fire is too good to be organic.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7976-6692-0199

JaxonH

@Gamer83
I’ve felt like that after a few games. It’s not common, but sometimes you play a game so good, nothing else seems to compare. I guess that’s kinda how I’m feeling now. I’m not done, but I already have this feeling of separation anxiety knowing the game can’t be more than a few hours from completion, and all I can think about is how to get more Metroid- but this game is spoiling me. It’s gonna make older Metroid games a lot harder to go back to. Would play Prime, but don’t wanna ruin the experience of the remaster if it’s coming. Suppose Prime 2 and 3 are always an option though. And Samus Returns. That’s new enough.

I don’t have it in me to 100% though. I ran into a bomb jumping puzzle for a missile expansion and I messed with it for 30 minutes, broke all three blocks but I just couldn’t break all three and get to the top without falling down. And that’s OK, I’ve never really 100% Metroid games in the past. I would definitely scan as much as I could but I always seemed to miss something. Usually ended with 90% or more completion. And I’m OK with that because it’s supposed to be fun, and if getting a final few collectibles is causing frustration, it’s better to just not do it.

I feel like this game reminds me of why I started loving Nintendo in the first place. Sure, I played NES, SNES and N64 growing up, so there’s that familiarity and nostalgia. But I think what really sealed the deal for me was Metroid Prime 1/2 and F-Zero GX on GameCube, followed by Metroid Prime 3, Zelda Twilight Princess and Donkey Kong Country Returns on Wii. That’s when I realized, “I really, really love Nintendo’s games”

After playing Prime casually on GC, when I heard Prime 3 was launching on Wii, I had to have one. My brother told me about Zelda, but I didn’t know who that green hatted elf was- I just wanted to play Metroid. But once I beat Prime 3, I picked up Twilight Princess on his recommendation, and I loved that game. It was my first Zelda, so it landed especially well with me because I had never been exposed to a game like that before. Same thing happened again in 2013 with Fire Emblem Awakening and in 2015, Xenoblade Chronicles X.

I’m glad to see Nintendo getting back to the core franchises I fell in love with.

NintendoByNature

Well I made it to raven beak and got stomped a number of times. After the last few chozo spear boss fights I'm a little fatigued. I'll try again tomorrow.

NintendoByNature

skywake

Made a fair amount of progress before hitting another boss wall. Putting it down for a bit to come back to it later. It's the huge bug dude that fires lava-ish junk all over the floor. Fairly obvious what the pattern is at this stage I think. I just need to move to the small safe parts on the ground, jump over his swipes and then hide under him when he coats the side wall. Just requires a bit too much patience/skill for me after a few goes, needed to walk away for a bit

But yeah, I'm definitely finding that I'm getting into a bit of a rhythm with it. It's hard for sure but I haven't really felt like I've been stuck to the point where I'm going to put it down. They're definitely stretching the limits of my gaming abilities though. Which isn't a bad thing, just makes it more rewarding when you clear those hurdles

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Tendo64

NintendoByNature wrote:

Well I made it to raven beak and got stomped a number of times. After the last few chozo spear boss fights I'm a little fatigued. I'll try again tomorrow.

The gold chozo was a dead-set pain in the arse. Was ready to give the game up after fighting him countless times, getting to the last part and getting done. Was one of the parts of the game I actually hated. Like, really, really hated.

Easy as piss getting to the last phase, and no matter how much health I had, he would find a way to win.

Brutal.

Edited on by Tendo64

Switch Friend Code: SW-7976-6692-0199

Bolt_Strike

@skywake Yeah, that bug boss was tough. The only thing I can say is make good use of your Spin Boost to dodge his rapid fire attack and make sure you're using Missiles, not Charge Beam shots (it'll take less Missiles than Charge shots to kill him, and if you try Charge shots you probably won't last until the end of the fight).

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

@NintendoByNature Here's my advice for Raven Beak:

First Phase:
For the attack where he shoots a beam that spreads across the entire arena, you simply have to get close to him as there's a short area near him that isn't affected. If he charges up that dark beam ability, charge up Storm Missiles and hit it, it'll drop some health and ammo. He'll usually try to charge you with a claw swipe after using the spread beam attack, so run away from him as it wears off, jump, and Flash Shift past him to avoid it or you'll usually end up getting trapped and get hit three times in a row, dealing massive damage. Then when he tries to rush you Melee Counter and charge up a Storm Missile to unleash it on him during the QTE, then keep wailing on him with regular Missiles until it ends.

Second Phase:
This phase is fairly easy and if you're skilled enough, you can probably get by without even taking a hit. For one, his armor is weaker and you can just wail on him with Storm Missiles the whole time. As for his attacks, when he uses the scattershot beam, just Space Jump and circle around him in a tight circle until he stops. If he uses a Charge Beam attack, you can just run towards him to dodge it. If he tries to drop down on you, you can just Flash Shift away from it. If he tries to rush you horizontal a quick Slide can dodge it.

Third Phase:
This is a lot like the first phase but with some extra attacks and without the shielding blocking your attacks, so like with the second phase, you can just wail away with Storm Missiles. One of his new attack is a giant sunbeam thing that shoots shockwaves periodically. Do your best to avoid these, but also be conscious of his other attacks, especially his Charge Beam attack (if you can't dodge both, it's better to prioritize avoiding the Charge Beam). If he does a Speed Boost, just jump and Flash Shift as with the claw swipe attack. As with the first phase, he has a melee counter QTE where you can deal massive damage, but be careful not to confuse it with the Speed Booster attack. Other than that, he reuses the same attacks from the First Phase so the same strategies apply.

Final Phase: This is basically just a QTE, Raven Beak will become possessed by an X and turn into a giant monster and Samus will have fully transformed into a Metroid with a cool looking Metroid Suit powerup. All you have to do is charge up a beam shot against it similar to how you would use the Omega Cannon, once you successfully fire on him, the battle ends and you simply need to go through the traditional escape sequence to beat the game.

Hope that helps.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Octane

Getting further into the game, but the difficulty level is a tad too high for it to be enjoyable. There's no difficulty settings or button mapping to make it a little easier. I can't backtrack to get more energy tanks and missiles. There's a lot of gatekeeping that prevent you from exploring at your own pace.

Octane

NintendoByNature

@Tendo64 yea I almost put the switch down on the gold one. I was playing for a few hours though and at that point, I had just beaten the chozo prior to the gold one( forgot the color), an emmi, the giant crab like boss that had 3 versions, 'the experiment' boss( forgot his actual name), and some of the mini boss encounters with swords x2. So I figured it's probably best to put the game down as it was getting late and I would've been too frustrated if I kept getting stomped.

@Bolt_Strike thank you very much for all of that. The first couple times I entered the arena, I had no idea what was going on as he so fast. So all of that really helps. I'm by no means a master here, but I've done fairly well leading up to him thus far. So I hope I can get this done with the inventory and health I have( 7 health bars and 115 missiles). Super excited to see the ending though 🙂.

NintendoByNature

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic