Forums

Topic: Super Mario Odyssey

Posts 541 to 560 of 2,057

Scrummer

@Grumblevolcano Sorry, I think you're on the wrong topic. You might want to look for a BOTW topic.

Scrummer

Switch Friend Code: SW-7938-1793-3581 | My Nintendo: Scrummer

MFD

@Maxz If I'm to believe people around the internet, a universally grand game that every Switch owner MUST buy, or they're fools. Personally, I just don't see the appeal. Mario 3D World took me a good friend, and former neighbour to get through, and I don't think I'll be able to do that on my own, as good as it looks.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

Scrummer

@UmniKnight Well hey, Super Mario odyssey does have multiplayer (Which I am actually happy about) Even if it is akin to Super Mario Galaxy 2's.

Scrummer

Switch Friend Code: SW-7938-1793-3581 | My Nintendo: Scrummer

MFD

@Scrummer Problem is, that neighbour isn't around any-more, and my only locally available friend wouldn't play through it again without said neighbour. I doubt I can slog through it on my own, so I'm guessing I'll be one of the 5 people to give Odyssey a pass.

MFD

Grumblevolcano

@Ralizah I had high hopes for BotW but the lack of direction after Hateno has been pushing me away from the long sessions I had early on. I feel as though in for example a few hours gameplay session I've achieved very little meanwhile in that same timespan for other games I've achieved a lot. So rather than playing more BotW I find myself playing games like Splatoon 2, Fire Emblem Echoes and Halo Wars 2 instead.

I'm getting the same feeling about Mario Odyssey to be honest, I'm excited but on the other hand it feels like another open world adventure where virtually no progress is made in a typical gameplay session after finishing a certain early part of the game. Maybe playing the game myself will remove the concerns.

On another note, I'm very surprised there's no special edition for Mario Odyssey yet. Maybe it's more evidence for a September Direct?

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

@Grumblevolcano I mean, the two games seem very different. BotW is a game where you can just get lost in the wilderness for extended periods of time (that lack of progress you're talking about), whereas Mario Odyssey is open, but in a more structured way, where you're constantly going for different moons and challenges.

I might be wrong, of course, but the footage has all led me in that direction.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

MFD

@Ralizah I wonder if Odyssey will have a strong sense of purpose. In BotW's case, I was looking for the strongest monster the game had to offer. After killing 20 or so Lynels, I grew bored and put the game down (130 hours) but then I've tried picking the game back up, and playing it without goals set, which got me to go about 210 hours instead.

Mario Odyssey will probably be a collect-a-thon in gameplay, and if Rayman Definitive Edition's demo is anything to go by, I probably won't be enjoying that.

MFD

Grumblevolcano

@Ralizah To me, the BotW shrines come to mind regarding the moons (the mini puzzle you have to solve to get to the moon being the shrine and the moon itself being the spirit orb).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Haru17

Tsurii wrote:

You'll only end up like a certain someone who hyped Zelda above and beyond and talked themselves into the game offering a hell of a lot more than was ever realistic to expect

Yeah, like a new Zelda game in 2017. 'Cause clearly no one knows how to make those anymore.

@Grumblevolcano I think Odyssey will be fine because Mario worlds are generally cheaper than Zelda ones that aren't literally copied and pasted like Breath's. The Shrines and Korok seeds were the same 4 and 10 puzzles respectively repeated ad nauseam. Moons so far look unique, like the game has actual secrets in its world, so I would worry more about if all the worlds will be quality or if the game will be long enough to feel worthwhile. Plus this game has actual indoor environments, sooo...

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Tyranexx

FriedSquid wrote:

Untitled

This is gonna be the greatest Mario game ever

Seconded. That latest trailer was glorious.

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

CroRock

OMG I'm so hyped now!!!
Looking f*****g great!!! Can't wait. My kids will be blown away with this one after Mario World and Lands.
And that bundle.. omg.. just omg.. and with carrying case.. I want to sell my Splatoon 2 bundle and buy this one

Edited on by CroRock

3DS - 2294 - 4578 - 7970
SW - 3371 - 1931 - 2042

meleebrawler

I noticed a Jumpman outfit hidden in the footage. Blue shirt, red overalls. Strange the cap doesn't change to blue as well, though.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

MasterWario

I spoiled some things but it was worth it to see the moon count. About halfway down looks to be 40, so that's potentially 80 moons per kingdom! I'm sold, looking to be the best 3D Mario (easily), less than two months away, I'm hyped and done watching footage.

EDIT: Oh and, yeah, it's obvious from that map footage that we're totally going to the moon.

Edited on by MasterWario

I would have never guessed Weezing was so useful until I played a HeartGold Nuzlocke!
My YouTube Channel! Video game related, of course!
My Pushmo Levels

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0589-3371 | Nintendo Network ID: MasterWario

Zyrac

Me talking about MK8D yesterday:

Zyrac wrote:

Any game with such good screenshot material is going to get a lot of extra play time from me.

Postcard hype!

Zyrac

Twitter:

meleebrawler

@Dev They may well be a reference to the Koopa Bros. from Paper Mario too. Granted, they're wearing caps and one of them is purple instead of black, but they're still bros.

Zyrac

@meleebrawler They are, of course, wearing caps so they can't be posessed. I noticed Pauline has a hat as well. I like how this game mechanic is forcing a fashion trend among NPCs.

Zyrac

Twitter:

meleebrawler

I might just be imagining this, but didn't the avatar representing in the minigame icons look like Mr. Game & Watch?

Haru17

Wow, even if this game launches with only the kingdoms shown it looks like it'll still be well-worth $60. And to that point, if you think there isn't a ghost house world you're kiddin' yourself — they're checking the boxes of desert, beach, poison swamp, mountain, and ice in addition to the new worlds.

Point of clarification: Is the Seaside Kingdom the same as the Lake Kingdom? Having two water worlds is probably too much to hope for, but still I wonder.

I'm a little bit worried about how disposable moons seem compared to stars and shine sprites, because Korok seeds are a fresh scar. But I guess Mario collectables were never supposed to carry weight like Zelda ones: they're just used to meet a certain threshold.

Finally, we saw ostensibly the rocket nozzle in two different worlds in that trailer. That's so cool! The Seaside Kingdom looks like the Sunshine-like world we wanted, and there is still that moon on the world map...

Haru17

Untitled

Cappy is representative of the other platformers Mario is stepping on.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic