Forums

Topic: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Posts 1,241 to 1,260 of 2,142

Grumblevolcano

@MarioLover92 It is, this isn't the first time a retro track from the base MK8 Deluxe game has appeared in Tour, this is the current total:

• N64 Royal Raceway
  • N64 Yoshi Valley
  • GCN Yoshi Circuit
  • SNES Rainbow Road
  • GCN Baby Park
  • 3DS Neo Bowser City

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

tekoii

@MarioLover92 GG.. Good to playin! Yeesh, yea it was tough, but I feel like I did okay considered how good everyone else was. Hoo boy, yea she is a beast. I did look up a video to see what it's about and it looks like something I wanna try to get faster.
Idk, bullet bills usually do me good. On stream I skipped several places, several times XD.

🍄 MK8D ▶️ Youtube 🎨 DeviantArt

MarioVillager92

@tekoii Yeah, I agree with you. I feel that I'm pretty good at Mario Kart overall (though I do have my own green shell hit me on occasion...), but sometimes, I would get attacked by a lot of items and place badly. I got last place in a good few online races, as well. It pretty much depends on the players you're matched up with. More recently, in a couple of today's online races that I partook in, I totally missed the last batch of item blocks in the final lap and that can really screw me over.

Yeah, soft drifting is a super important technique from what I understand. Hopefully, I'll be able to truly master it. It does help to know the courses and the mushroom-less shortcuts you could do, like the one near the end of Cloudtop Cruise.

Ah gotcha, yeah they can be useful if you're next to a lot of other racers. I must not have been next to anyone when I used mine in yesterday's session.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

Grumblevolcano

So with the DLC likely being announced within the next few weeks, anyone got specific predictions for wave 2?

Mine are:

Turnip Cup

• Tour Sydney Sprint (course seems summer-like)
  • 3DS Shy Guy Bazaar (Turnips and Shy Guys are in SMB2)
  • SNES Vanilla Lake 1 (a Vanilla Lake was teased in Coconut Mall)
  • GCN Dino Dino Jungle (Dino Dino Jungle teased in Coconut Mall)

Propeller Cup

• Tour Los Angeles Laps (course seems summer-like)
  • Wii Toad's Factory (Propeller Toad Transport is a company in MK8)
  • N64 Koopa Troopa Beach (teased in Sunshine Airport)
  • Tour London Loop (course seems summer-like)

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

DarkRula

I think that's a perfectly logical selection of courses. I'd definitely love to see all three of those Tour exclusive races at some point.

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

TommyTendo

I hope for the next Mario Kart that they make courses influenced by Odyssey and 3D World/Bowser's Fury. I'd love a New Donk City course and a course where the giant bowser is in the background as a stage hazard.

WoomyNNYes

@TommyTendo Oh, god.😆 You really made me realize just how old MK8 is. By the time MK9 comes out, Mario Odyssey will be last gen console, old news - oof. We could have had so much cool stuff if the Switch got it's own Mario Kart, rather than sticking to last gen Wii-U Mario Kart.

I would have loved if Mario Kart got Splatfest treatment, some kind of night-time dance club theming for the tracks, possibly with map modifications, special themed costumes. In a way, that's what Crash Team Racing for each of the new tracks they added. For Halloween, they added holloween costumes for the characters, a kart, glowing ghostly paint job skins, glowing ghostly wheels, and those golden ghosts that you can chase down on the tracks.

Even Mario Kart Tour is getting that cat racing suit this month, which looks like something that should be in MK8D.

So many missed opportunities with Mario Kart Switch.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

DarkRula

@TommyTendo Reminds me of back in 2018 where I was crafting concepts for what the new game could look like. A New Donk City course was one of the 16 tracks I proposed when drafting ideas for the four new cups. I also had a Yoshi Woolly World / Crafted World based one, a holiday resort where paintings transported you around it, and a sporting stadium up in the clouds which would feature a clear pipe underneath it that drivers would go through to give a very high view of the world below.

Ah, good times of believing we'd only got two years before a new Kart arrived.

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

WaterKirby_64

@Grumblevolcano G'day mate! Love me some Mario Kart on Tour Sydney Sprint!

WaterKirby_64

Switch Friend Code: SW-2284-8729-3596 | My Nintendo: WK1964

MarioVillager92

@TommyTendo I would love a New Donk City themed course too, that's literally my favorite world in Super Mario Odyssey. If they happen to make the next 3D Mario before the next Mario Kart, that'd be cool to see courses based on that future game's worlds as well.

@WoomyNNYes It kind of stings to see that the Switch got a rerelease of Mario Kart 8 instead of its own entry, yeah, but I do understand why they did it. Had the Wii U sold a ton better than it actually did, I think they would've made MK9 by now. Those are some cool ideas you came up with, btw - honestly, I would have loved to at least see MKT's character costumes come to MK8D!

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

tekoii

@MarioLover92 Ayy nice. Yea, you're pretty beast with it! It good though that you get some challenge, it gets you to improve. Oh yea definitely wanna try to get soft drifts down so I can actually speed up and compete. Oh yea for sure, course awareness helps a bunch! Yea, bullet bills did me good that livestream lol.

🍄 MK8D ▶️ Youtube 🎨 DeviantArt

Grumblevolcano

@WoomyNNYes I do think MK8 Deluxe was the right option but I also feel that there was lots of missed opportunities. The biggest one being that if they started with DLC in 2017/2018 then we'd probably be at the point where at some point (maybe already by now), MK8 Deluxe would be MK Ultimate but instead of Smash's "Everyone is here" it would've been "Everyone and everywhere is here". Maybe I'm too optimistic but I could see the Tour characters, outfits and vehicles get added latter on.

In any case I feel that with the large amount of content MK8 Deluxe will have by the end of its lifespan, the next Mario Kart will be more different than usual so it can stand out. I am assuming the Switch's successor has backwards compatibility so MK8 Deluxe would be playable on the new system, if that's a wrong assumption then to be honest I see the successor system selling worse than Wii U.

Grumblevolcano

WiiWareWave

@Grumblevolcano Well if the Switch's successor also happens to be a hybrid console that would be an incredible accomplishment for all the wrong reasons. That said I highly doubt that'd even be possible for a hybrid console from Nintendo to sell under 15 million units. Worst case scenario, it might sell between 25-30 million units if it fails spectacularly.

Edited on by WiiWareWave

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com

PSN ID: Rukiafan7
NNID: Rukiafan7
Switch FC: SW-6328-7327-5891 ~WiiWareWav~

Switch Friend Code: SW-6328-7327-5891 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiafan7 | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

@TowaHerschel7 I feel that between Series X|S, PS5 and Steam Deck there's a much bigger expectation for backwards compatibility nowadays meanwhile back in the early days of the Switch the other current systems also started from scratch (sure XB1 had some level of backwards compatibility from 2015 onwards but it's nowhere near the full backwards compatibility that exists on plenty of other systems like Wii games on Wii U and PS1 games on PS2). Japan would likely still heavily buy the Switch's successor even with starting from scratch provided there's a handheld component to it especially as Sony has pretty much fully abandoned Japan but elsewhere would probably shift to other systems.

Grumblevolcano

MarioVillager92

@tekoii It might take a while to learn, just a heads up. My current play style has been treating me well for a good while now, now with the addition of hopping after a mini turbo and a bit of brake drifting. I talked to my friend about soft drifting, she says it takes some dedication and she even told me "you can do it."

MarioVillager92

@tekoii I probably got them down in this clip, at least somewhat. I might have done a soft drift successfully on the first turn of the clip. (Notice that Peach doesn't turn her head there.)

But what I was really proud of was that I did brake drifting on that turn before the tunnel. I probably would have fell down, or lost most of my momentum had I not done this. You can hear the brakes going over there.

Edited on by MarioVillager92

ChameleonBros

@Grumblevolcano Here's my prediction:

Turnip Cup:

Tour London Loop
Wii Mushroom Gorge
GBA Cheep Cheep Island
3DS Shy Guy Bazaar

Propeller Cup:

N64 Kalimari Desert
SNES Mario Circuit 2
DS Airship Fortress
Tour Singapore Speedway

Edited on by ChameleonBros

Switch FC:
*Please ask me/inform me if you plan to add my Switch FC, because I delete random requests that I do not recognize. Thanks!
SW-2251-7555-8810

Discord:

Quail-Man^_#3607

WiiWareWave

@ChameleonBros Nintendo eluded that the DLC would be released in order of difficulty on Twitter awhile back. The first DLC had courses of Mushroom Cup difficulty, the next DLC will have Flower Cup difficulty courses, etc.

Edited on by WiiWareWave

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com

PSN ID: Rukiafan7
NNID: Rukiafan7
Switch FC: SW-6328-7327-5891 ~WiiWareWav~

Switch Friend Code: SW-6328-7327-5891 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiafan7 | Twitter:

PikaPhantom

I don't put much stock in the cup orders someone got to display for several reasons (low counts of N64 and 3DS tracks - especially when Tour has so many of the latter - in addition to a lack of RMX tracks from Tour when one was found in the datamined banner and more Tour/blank slots than the ones we have in the game, even counting datamines), but I did put together some predictions based on them:
Turnip Cup:
Tour New York Minute
SNES Mario Circuit 1
N64 Koopa Troopa Beach
DS Luigi's Mansion
Propeller Cup:
Tour Los Angeles Laps (think this one will be a 3 section track, the starting line for LA is not fixed)
GBA Bowser Castle 3 (only track that isn't explicitly confirmed, but I think we'll get several more tracks not yet in Tour like Coconut Mall and Shroom Ridge, and we know another GBA Bowser's Castle is coming to the game)
Wii Koopa Cape
New ice cream track seen in the datamined banner

Very skeptical about the inclusions of DS Luigi's Mansion (just because that might be more likely to come during a wave releasing closer to Halloween - it's there because of the difficulty curve) and the new track (it's the only one we've seen aside from Merry Mountain, which is a winter track for sure, and there's a blank slot to fill akin to Ninja Hideaway...and those all have me skeptical), but I might as well make my predictions align with what could still potentially pan out

Edited on by PikaPhantom

PikaPhantom

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic