Forums

Topic: Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Posts 2,541 to 2,560 of 3,125

fortius54

I have to say I wish I had never played Super Mario 64, again. I appreciate it for what it did for Nintendo 3DS Mario and the industry in general, but I found it completely frustrating: I now remember why I used to throw my controller when I was younger.

fortius54

Nintendo Network ID: mitchell_rsvl

StuTwo

I got 120 stars on Galaxy last night.

Still a great game that I'd recommend to just about anyone as a full price game on its own. It's definitely on my "top tier" list of Nintendo games alongside Zelda alttp, Super Metroid, Mario 3, Yoshi's Island, Wind Waker HD and TTYD. Games that just look and play as great now as they did they were launched.

It is much easier than the earlier games but I think - playing them so much one after another - a large part of that is just that it's less frustrating and less unfair. The camera is better, the movement doesn't force you to commit as much and you rarely feel like you're being asked to pat your head whilst rubbing your tummy in the same way that 64 and (especially) Sunshine sometimes do. Even when it is padding its own play time out it doesn't feel like it's wasting your time.

I'll play a bit more of the game to mess around in 64 and maybe a bit more of Sunshine but they're not games I'd recommend to anyone without an asterix next to them in 2020. There's a lot to learn from them (still - especially 64) but they are games of their time and you have to approach them in an old school way.

Glad some people are enjoying them afresh though!

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Beaucine

About 35 shines through Sunshine.

I'm adoring the level design. There's so much flexibility to it. I always feel like I'm finding my own way rather than having the game guide me. That said, I don't like the more fragmented nature of it, compared to 64. Back in 2002, I suspect the fact that every level changes from one shine to another was viewed as a positive evolution of the formula. Today, I feel like it kind of locks you into whatever mission you're doing, so you don't have the freedom you have in 64, where you go for one star and come out with another you weren't even looking for. That's more my jam. Still, I'm finding Sunshine's HD form absolutely gorgeous. The colors, the wavy horizon, the art direction, the music...

It's definitely harder, though. I feel like it's already demanding stuff of me, in the opening levels, that 64 didn't until the endgame and the 100 coin challenges in later levels.

Edited on by Beaucine

Beaucine

Dezzy

I feel like Mario bosses got significantly better from Galaxy onwards (not including 3D Land, which has rubbish bosses)

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

porto

@Dezzy I loved Galaxy's bosses. but Sunshine's weren't that bad either. they weren't exactly "well-designed" bosses but they were unique and fun to beat. I feel 3D Land wanted to try and replicate the original SMB as much as possible, hence the bland bosses.

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

Octane

Bosses in 64 were more like big enemies. Sunshine was really the first one to have actual boss fights. It's a shame Odyssey focused so much on those rabbits, because I always prefer the unique bosses over these design clones (BOTW Ganon Blights, or the Koopalings).

Octane

LzWinky

Octane wrote:

Bosses in 64 were more like big enemies. Sunshine was really the first one to have actual boss fights. It's a shame Odyssey focused so much on those rabbits, because I always prefer the unique bosses over these design clones (BOTW Ganon Blights, or the Koopalings).

Yeah but there was the Robobroodal

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Banjo-

ToadBrigade wrote:

@BlueOcean When did I say that 64 is better than Galaxy? πŸ˜›

ToadBrigade wrote:

I can never figure out how to control Mario when he’s on weird angles relative to the camera, like on planetoids and discs.

I meant just that LOL.

Banjo-

Dezzy

@Octane

Everything in Odyssey that wasn't a rabbit was great though. Cookatiel, Knucklotec, RoboBrood, Torkdrift, Yoofoe and Mollusque-Lanceur were all excellent. And yes I had to look up the names for those.

@App

The Sunshine bosses are interesting and creative I thought, but very clumsy and unpolished in their mechanics. Whereas Galaxy, Galaxy 2, 3D World and Odyssey have really well polished bosses.

Edited on by Dezzy

Grumblevolcano

@App NSMB comes more to mind for 3D Land. Nintendo had a phase after NSMBWii massively outsold Galaxy where most things Mario were NSMB style until Odyssey.

Then again we don't know where 2D and 3D Mario are headed. Is Mario Maker a full replacement for Nintendo made 2D Mario adventures? Will that extend to 3D? etc.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

porto

3D Land and 64 were the worst in terms of bosses. I can cut 64 some slack for being old, but 3D Land had no excuse. Odyssey had some really clever boss battles, but I agree with Octane. The rabbits were way too easy and were fought way too often. If they were each battled only once I'd be fine.

porto

porto

@Grumblevolcano As cool as it would be, I don't think a 3D Mario Maker would ever happen. could you imagine the potential for trash courses?

porto

Dezzy

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Nintendo had a phase after NSMBWii massively outsold Galaxy

That's the kinda nonsense that happens when you make a console aimed at families, and the people buying everything are 50 year old mums who don't know what's going on.

I'm glad order has returned to the universe (Odyssey sold more than twice what NSMBDeluxe has sold)

Banjo-

I didn't like Super Mario Odyssey bosses. Galaxy bosses are fine but Sunshine bosses are the best.

@App Wasn't Apportal a nicer name? 😜

I don't even remember the bosses of SM3DL, I'll have to re-play it sometime.

Banjo-

Beaucine

As much as I loved 64, the bosses weren't great. I did like the hand thing inside the pyramid. That was rad. Thankfully, you can make short work of most bosses in seconds, so at least they don't overstay their welcome. Last game I'd played was Control, where the bosses definitely overstay their welcome... and their farewell... and their next welcome after that...

Edited on by Beaucine

Beaucine

porto

BlueOcean wrote:

That goes to show how tasteless and unmemorable those bosses were. I barely remember those bosses but can remember Sunshines and Galaxy's Bosses vividly.

Edited on by porto

porto

1UP_MARIO

3d land had the best final bowser boss battle.

Edited on by 1UP_MARIO

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Dezzy

BlueOcean wrote:

It's literally just the koopalings inside small square rooms. They're all more or less the same. They reused them in 3D World. But 3D World added some original boss fights too.

Pretty much like 3D World as a game in general. Just copied loadsa stuff from 3D Land and then added some new and more interesting stuff as well.

Edited on by Dezzy

Banjo-

@Dezzy @App True, I love the Koopalings because of the cartoon but the battles were not awesome except the last one @1UP_MARIO.

Banjo-

porto

@1UP_MARIO On the subject of Bowser fights, my all-time favorite is Galaxy 2. I don't know why it gets all that hate, I thought it was really fun.

porto

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic