Forums

Topic: Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Posts 2,521 to 2,540 of 3,202

Balta666

Yesterday I believe I did the two sprites that smashed GC controllers de most.
Firstly the pinball One and it is indeed quite a pain. You don't have much control even with fludd and the camera definitely fights you (but overall I did not find it to hard as it took me maybe 10-15 attempts)
Secondly the water stream and that one I enjoyed a lot. It is not top hard to make small ajustments to the direction and it is extremely satisfying to get all coins in one go

Balta666

Zeldafan79

So what's everybody's most hated level in mario 64? Mines gotta be tiny huge island. Way too many fall to your death hazards, it's a pain to navigate and those big rolling balls can bite me!

Zeldafan79

BlueOcean

@Zeldafan79 When you are a giant the course becomes too dangerous because it's small and full of pits. The idea is cool and comes from Super Mario Bros. 3 but the course shouldn't be so dangerous when you are so huge.

BlueOcean

App

@Zeldafan79 Rainbow Road, bar-none, Not really a contest there.

Edited on by App

App

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

Beaucine

For now, Tiny-Huge Island, but I only dabbled in it last night. I just keep slipping and falling everywhere, and can't figure out where to go. At least just yet.

I actually liked Rainbow Road and cleaned up the six missions in about two hours, but I have the same problem with it that I have with the moving-platform castles in Super Mario World, in that progress is tethered to the movement of the platform (or in this case, the flying rugs) so you spend a lot of time, just, waiting. And since it's the last course and it's difficult and you're gonna fall a lot, well, that translates into a whole lot of waiting in repeat attempts. But I enjoyed the platforming challenges, layout, and overall concept, so that kind of made up for it.

Edited on by Beaucine

Beaucine

App

@Beaucine I disliked how easy it was to fall off the carpet. Just one simple move and you're dead. And as you mentioned half the level is just waiting, which isn't exactly my field of expertise

App

1UP_MARIO

Untitled

Love this game.
120 stars

Edited on by 1UP_MARIO

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5229-5058-9308

Beaucine

@Apportal

Yeah, it can get brutal, and Mario's buttery handling, which usually I don't have a problem with, isn't a great fit for Rainbow Road.

Beaucine

StuTwo

@1UP_MARIO I'd have to rank your final scorecard as a B-.

Yes I can see you've got all of the stars but you haven't got the highest possible number of coins in every course yet. Please try harder next time...

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

1UP_MARIO

@StuTwo I get 100 and jump off 😉

I’d take that b- thanks

Edited on by 1UP_MARIO

Beaucine

I'm a bit terrified of the 100-coin challenge in Rainbow Road, heh. Don't know if I dare. I've enjoyed the 100-coin stars I've gotten, but they were in the relatively laid-back early levels with easy, low-stress traversal.

Beaucine

1UP_MARIO

@Beaucine if you can get all the blue coins next to the red coin maze then it’s easier

BlueOcean

@1UP_MARIO Well done, once again!

@Beaucine That's the problem with Tiny-huge Island. Stay small most of the time but when you're big, explore and interact with the central part of the course. For getting 100 coins in Rainbow Ride, what he suggested. Actually, try exactly that first of all because you need to wall jump a few times before the blue coins disappear.

BlueOcean

1UP_MARIO

@BlueOcean thanks. Let us know how you get on

link3710

Okay, I'm warming up to the game again, Tiny Huge Island, Tall Tall Mountain, and Wet Dry World were genuinely fun again, unlike basically the entire basement. The fact that you can choose your entrance in two of those levels significantly helped things by letting giving back control and choice.

I've gotten every star now except for the third floor ones, two in Dire Dire Docks (the 100 coin and red coin since I got rather... upset at losing with 90 something coins because of a random warp back to the castle that doesn't even look dangerous), and maaabye one or two castle secret stars I've forgotten? I'm at 102 stars now, so with the 14 from the third floor and the 1 from Bowser's and the 2 from DDD, there's still one secret for me to find it appears.

EDIT: Nm, I figured out which secret star it was (MIPS 2), so I'm almost done.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

App

Well, boys and girls I finally beat Sixty-Four. It's been a long road. My final verdict of the game is 9/10. Even if the camera and controls are awful, you have to give it credit for starting a new era of 3D platformers.

My favorite level is of the game is a cross between Cool, Cool, Mountain, and Shifting Sand Land. I like Cool Mountain for its platforming, and I like Sand Land for its stars. My least favorite world is Rainbow Road. I like the design, but almost all the levels revolve around waiting, or impossible platforming. Not exactly my favorite by any means.

If you defeat the final Bowser, is there any way to continue playing? I completely remember being able to play after the credits.

App

3dg3d3m0n

The N64 was my last console before the switch, so I haven't played Sunshine or Galaxy, I bought this for SM64 with the others being a massive bonus.
Yes, the camera is crap, the levels are tiny compared to SMO, but it still has that sense of fun that I remember so well. At the time I thought it was truly genre defining and loved it, now it's dated but still fun for us old guys with the memories of just how good this was at the time. Will carry on and complete this and then I have 2 brand new Mario games to complete, for me this is an absolute bargain purchase

3dg3d3m0n

MarioLover92

@Apportal Yeah, Rainbow Ride is my least favorite SM64 level too. Riding those carpets is wayyyy too much of a drag for me. Plus you have to deal with that really long carpet ride three times to get those three stars...not my idea of fun. Cool, Cool Mountain is a great level - I like Jolly Roger Bay as well.

If you finish the last Bowser fight, you will have to reset/quit the game after watching the credits. It's one of those old Nintendo games that hangs on the "The End" screen unless you reset or turn off the console.

Nintendo Life's (self-proclaimed) #1 Mario fan! Wahoo!

My SMM2 ID: V1J-NRF-PWG
My AC:NH Island: D-World
Switch Username: MarioFan92

Let me know if you've added my Switch friend code by replying to my comments.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-8582-2999 | Twitter:

PrincessMagical

@Zeldafan79 I don't hate any level in Mario 64 but if I had to pick a least favorite it would be Bomb-OMB Battlefield. I don't hate it but it's my least favorite.

PrincessMagical

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic