Forums

Topic: Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Posts 2,501 to 2,520 of 3,125

1UP_MARIO

@ToadBrigade set it at 3 don’t bother getting the red coins just get the easy bottom 2

Edited on by 1UP_MARIO

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Beaucine

@ToadBrigade

I think I did it stopped, but you'll need some creative jumping to get to the topmost areas. Forget about the robot. Those I only used in Wet-Dry. Just master the flip-jump/wall-kick combo, which lets you skip all sorts of obstacles in more vertical levels. (It's also amazing for Sunshine, because you can combine it with FLUDD for awesome exploits, as I've just learned.)

Also, in Tick Tock, you'll obviously need the blue coins and, in the topmost areas, you'll find two platforms with question/coin boxes: the one down the middle near the very top, mentioned by @Zeldafan79, and another one below it, off to the side. If you get the blue and red coins and pick up a bunch of yellow coins along the way, you should be set with those question/coin boxes.

Edited on by Beaucine

Beaucine

Banjo-

1UP_MARIO wrote:

@ToadBrigade set it at 3 don’t bother getting the red coins just get the easy bottom 2

I agree (between 12 and 3) and don't forget the blue coins switch near a Heave-Hos (mechanical wind-up toy).

Banjo-

Banjo-

@ToadBrigade Tiny-huge Island is the only course I don't like, good idea but poor execution. Wet-dry World is a controversial world. I posted a video (not mine) on this thread about it.

Banjo-

link3710

@BlueOcean Those Blue coins are evil. The trick to them is to jump when you're trying to get over to them since that way you'll travel in a straight line, even though the camera swivels a bunch as you try and get to them.

EDIT: And funnily enough, Wet-Dry World and Tiny Huge Island were my favorite levels during my recent playthrough.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

Beaucine

@BlueOcean

I actually loved Wet-Dry World. It's one of my favorite levels and I'm kind of surprised it gets such a bad rap. The theories surrounding it are weird, though fun. But mostly I just liked the toybox atmosphere of it and the flexibility of the platforming. Also, it's a puzzle-heavy level, with many stars requiring problem-solving rather than pure skill.

Beaucine

Banjo-

@link3710 Oh boy, well, I don't dislike Wet-dry World, just Tiny-huge Island @Beaucine.

I've been busier these days but focused 100% on Super Mario Sunshine when I have play time available.

Banjo-

porto

@BlueOcean I agree with you on Tiny-Huge Island. I've only got the first two stars from there, never touched it since. It's just not that fun :/

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

Beaucine

@BlueOcean

Oh, I know. I'm just talking in general.

Speaking of Sunshine, I just started it today. Having a lot of fun thus far! I briefly skipped it to try Galaxy for a few hours, but the linearity of it all rubbed me the wrong way right after 64. So I think Sunshine's a more natural follow-up, for now. I'll go back to Galaxy later.

Edited on by Beaucine

Beaucine

porto

@Beaucine Wet-Dry World is a fun level, but it's atmosphere and enemies are really bland. it's also one of the smallest areas in the game. I do like the underwater town secret, though I wish it was expanded on more.

porto

Beaucine

@Apportal

Tiny-Huge Land is definitely the level I struggled the most to get used to. I did eventually appreciate it. I think the trick is to mostly stick with Big Mario, at least to explore the island, and only turn into Small Mario for specific challenges. Traversing the whole island when you're small is a pain. The wind doesn't help!

Beaucine

Banjo-

@Beaucine Yeah I know what you mean but I didn't want people to believe that I hate both levels.

Super Mario Sunshine is my favourite Mario 3D game and I completed it 100% once but I don't know it as well as Super Mario 64, it's almost a new game to me now, it looks really beautiful (even more in widescreen HD) and controls are great fun.

The thing about Tiny-huge Island is that when Mario is huge, the camera is more frustrating that in any other course, the enemies and rolling balls are tiny and placed in dangerous places, there are flames floating towards you and it's so easy to fall into a lethal pit because of all this. However, I recommend you to explore the level slowly, change the camera if needed and you both will be fine eventually @Apportal @ToadBrigade.

ToadBrigade wrote:

needs to be done at least twice

I just need to hit one, I jump on one of those flower enemies in the water and push forward until I reach the ledge and climb.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Beaucine

@ToadBrigade

It takes some practice, but you can actually use the cannon to get to the shell area. Otherwise, I agree: it's one of my least favorite levels.

Beaucine

Banjo-

@Beaucine Snowman Land is not a great course. To deal with the snow waves running and jumping against them it's most effective, you might hit one or two waves but you are so fast that can jump again and recover more quickly, @ToadBrigade. If you can trigger a triple jump it's very satisfying!

In this course, I only use the cannon for that one star is needed for (inside an ice structure).

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

porto

@BlueOcean ToadBrigade meant you have to use the flower enemies for at least two levels. The red coin mission, the star behind it, and the igloo level.

porto

Beaucine

@Apportal

Oh, you're "supposed" to use the shell to get to the igloo! Haha, don't know why I never tried that. I just learned how to cannonball my way up there and called it a day.

Beaucine

Banjo-

@Apportal I see. Yes, at least twice because you can reach the igloo in three ways: falling off from above, shell and cannon.

Banjo-

1UP_MARIO

Or you can just go up the ramp holding the jump button and mashing punch

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic