Forums

Topic: Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Posts 2,321 to 2,340 of 3,021

Losermagnet

@Eel oof, well I'm glad you got your copy.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

BlueOcean

@1UP_MARIO Ha ha you're such a good father. I don't have kids... yet.

@Losermagnet Good to hear, I'm sure that you won't regret it 😁.

BlueOcean

RR529

In 64 tonight I started up Hazy Maze Cave and got a few Stars (the one with the dinosaur in the water, the red coin one, and one you get after traversing a poison maze & hanging from a grate), but the next mission seemed to require the Metal Cap (which I don't have yet), so I decided to move on and tackle Shifting Sand Land...

...I wasted so many lives trying to get the Star from the bird. Granted, actually getting the Star from it was easy once you're on top of the pillar it's flying around, but the problem was that it kept spawning above a pillar that's in the middle of quicksand, and even if I managed to scale it and touch the Star (which flew to the other side of the pyramid after the bird let it go), a shy guy kept circling me overhead chucking fireballs, causing me to fall into the quicksand. Luckily the last time I tried it the bird had spawned near a different pillar, one which wasn't near quicksand (and was right next to where the Star lands when you touch the bird), so it was super easy.

I decided to call it quits for the night after that, however I noticed the rabbit was back so I got another Star from him (up to 51 now, I may yet beat Bowser).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Bolt_Strike

@RR529 I usually find the bird gravitates around the oasis, so I hang around there and get it.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Ralizah

110 stars. I've 100%ed all but one of the levels before the last Bowser stage, I believe.

The one-hundred coin missions are very satisfying insofar as it feels like they require you to draw on the knowledge and experience you gained from collecting the other stars. They're 'master runs' of a level, basically.

Current Games:
Monster Hunter Stories (3DS)
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2 (PS2)
Super Mario Sunshine (Switch)

App

Well, my OCD wouldn't let me leave Sunshine like that, so I went back and toyed around with it for a bit. I finally beat the cursed "Red Coins on the water" mission and collected 5 stars worth of blue coins. The only Shadow Mario course I need now is Pianta Village, which I know is deadly easy, but you know what isn't easy? The chuckster level. That freaking chuckster level...

App

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

link3710

@RR529 It's funny, because I remembered finding that star hard as a kid, but I just jumped into the level, grabbed the flying cap, and took it instantly this time.

Honestly, that's been my experience with Super Mario 64 overall (I'm about 2/3 through, about to finish the basement.) Beating everything first try. Only died twice I think, and that was to the camera locking up on me. I thought this game offered challenging platforming but it... Just doesn't. Honestly, it's been a breeze, and I'm kinda bored. Hoping Tick tock clock might be enough to challenge me again, or Rainbow Ride.

Makes me appreciate how good Odyssey is all the more though, I'll say.

link3710

Zeldafan79

Anybody else hate hazy maze cave? I generally can't stand mazes in any game but this level was all kinds of annoying! People say swimming stages are awful. Nope it's mazes!

Zeldafan79

status-204

@Zeldafan79 Yeah I'd actually completely forgotten about that stage until "rediscovering" it the other day and I think I know why: I hate it so much.

Edited on by status-204

Switch FC: SW-4802-1501-8621

Zeldafan79

@status-204
Lord help you if you wanna get 100 coins in that damn level! If you mess up collecting the blue coins in the poison cave you gotta exit the stage and do it all over.

Zeldafan79

Balta666

@BlueOcean for sure! On the swamp stage I got the last coin on the roof wire just by the other star (that you go through the poison area) and the 100th coin star ended over the ledge and unreachable (you could jump there with a triple maybe but there is not much room and if you fail you just die...)

Balta666

BlueOcean

@Balta666 Yep, when getting the 100th coin in Super Mario 64 you have to make sure that it's a safe place to collect the star.

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

Octane

@BlueOcean The 100 coin shine in Sunshine appears in a fixed location, so you don't have to worry about which coin you get last.

Octane

Slowdive

So, what is the consensus here? Is Super Mario Galaxy surpassed by Super Mario Odyssey?

Currently playing: Super Mario 3D All-Stars: Super Mario 64
Recently completed: Flashback - Expert difficulty

List of leaks and rumors

Balta666

@Octane good to know. I did not try 100 coins in sunshine but it appear to me that are less obvious coins to grab (also because blue coins do not count instead of 5x each)

Balta666

StuTwo

@Slowdive personally I’d say no. Galaxy, Galaxy 2 and 3D World are all better than Odyssey. They all get far more to the core of the Mario experience better than Odyssey IMO. That is tight: inventive obstacle courses packed with secrets that reward observant/skilled players. Collectathons were novel in the mid 90’s but I’ve never personally seen the appeal in that format.

Odyssey does do some things very well. When it does briefly go “full Galaxy” for short sections it’s just as good. It also scales across a broad range of difficulty better than any of its predecessors. It just seems aimless to me at times though (especially end game). I do think the witty wry but sometimes subtle sense of humour of the Mario team is better realised in Odyssey than Galaxy.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

App

@Slowdive Nah. In my opinion Galaxy is everything a Mario game needs to be, plus more.

App

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

Octane

@Balta666 That's because blue coins disappear when you collect them. Otherwise it would be easier to go for the 100 coin shine if you haven't collected any blue coins yet.

Octane

Octane

Slowdive wrote:

So, what is the consensus here? Is Super Mario Galaxy surpassed by Super Mario Odyssey?

Opinions, opinions.

Galaxy is very linear, and it lacks the freedom and exploration 64, Sunshine and Odyssey have. So it all depends on your preference. Galaxy is also the easiest of the 3D games IMO.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic