Forums

Topic: Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Posts 2,301 to 2,320 of 3,183

Blooper987

Is there a Star for getting every coin on the slide?

Join the Doggo Nation and Subscribe to our eternal virtual overlord Korone on YouTube immediately!

Also sub to Amelia Watson while your at it. You’ll be thanking me afterwards.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0772-1845-0995

MarioLover92

@Blooper987 I'm assuming you're talking about the secret slide in Peach's castle. No there isn't.

Nintendo Life's (self-proclaimed) #1 Mario fan! Wahoo!

SMM2 ID: V1J-NRF-PWG
AC:NH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Let me know if you're gonna add my Switch FC. Thank you!

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-8582-2999 | My Nintendo: MarioFan92 | Twitter:

Blooper987

@MarioLover92 thank goodness. I have 8 stars so far. This is gonna take me a looooong time😅

Join the Doggo Nation and Subscribe to our eternal virtual overlord Korone on YouTube immediately!

Bolt_Strike

@Blooper987 You only need 100 coins from the painting levels that have episodes. The Secret Star mini levels don't have 100 coin stars.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

1UP_MARIO

@Blooper987 you get another star if you finish it under 21 seconds or less

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5229-5058-9308

Blooper987

@1UP_MARIO that should be fun.🙄

BlueOcean

@Blooper987 It's easy! Just push the stick forward. In the castle, talk to the Toads, three of them hold a star.

BlueOcean

ToadBrigade

So I just finished Galaxy (120 stars) for the first time with this collection (I never owned the original even though I had Galaxy 2 on Wii) and decided to create an account on this website just to say: it’s absolutely fantastic.

The graphics are absolutely gorgeous, I mean if you showed me screenshots and told me it was made for Switch, I would believe you. The controls felt super intuitive with the Pro Controller, and the gyro pointer works surprisingly well.

For some reason, one of my favorite parts of the game was the Toad Brigade (hence the profile pic). They’re hilarious, adorable, and sometimes even mildly helpful.

Oh, and of course the level design and soundtrack are top-notch. Probably an unpopular opinion, but the best song is Beach Bowl Galaxy. Sadly, the swimming controls didn’t really click for me, so that kind of soured my experience with the water levels. My favorite level was probably the purple coins on 8-bit Luigi, just because it was one of the only challenging ones for me.

That brings me to my only real gripes with the game, which were that it wasn’t very challenging at all (especially after recently finishing my first play through of Hollow Knight) and some parts caused mild motion sickness.

So, this might be one of my new favorite games of all time, and definitely makes the collection worth it for me. I will go back for a Luigi play through at some point, but for now I have moved on to 64, the other game that I haven’t played. I already started, and it’s pretty hard to adapt to the very different physics of that game, but I’m sure I’ll learn to love it. I am also really excited to play my favorite Mario game ever (and one of my top games of all time), Sunshine. I have so many great memories of passing the controller with my siblings and completing every level in the game. I still play it about once a year, and I have never understood why it gets so much hate.

Hollow Knight for Smash!
CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Splatoon 2
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury

BlueOcean

@ToadBrigade Welcome! And you are right, Super Mario Sunshine is the best Mario 3D game 😁.

BlueOcean

ToadBrigade

@BlueOcean Yeah, right now my ranking is probably:
1. Sunshine
2. Galaxy
3. Odyssey
4. Galaxy 2
And I have only done the first 2 levels in 64. Super excited for 3D World + Bowser’s Fury, too!

Hollow Knight for Smash!
CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Splatoon 2

BlueOcean

@ToadBrigade We did our rankings too some pages ago. I hope you enjoy Super Mario 64, it's my second favourite. We have posted a lot of tips for it, if you find trouble let us know 🙂.

BlueOcean

Blooper987

Sunshine looks really good in HD

ToadBrigade

@Blooper987 The first thing I did when Amazon finally delivered my copy was hop into Sunshine just to see what it looked like. As a lot of other people have said, it is the one that benefits the most from the graphical improvements. After that, I went on to play the games that I hadn’t experienced before.

Hollow Knight for Smash!
CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Splatoon 2

Ralizah

Finally collected all 120 stars in Super Mario 64.

And...

yeah, definitely still bottom of the list. I think this game really needs to be played on the N64 to appreciate the movement at all. Physics still suck. Levels are somehow tiny AND yet still feel lacking in features/content (although a few, like Shifting Sand Land and Tiny-Big Island, bucked the trend and did impress me conceptually and in terms of how dense they were). And almost every really horrible world plays this demented carnival music that really gets on my nerves. In general, musically, this game is super weak. The game is like a pile of irritations stacked one atop the other, and while I did eventually get fairly good at controlling Mario, I'd struggle to call any part of my time with it "fun."

I did keep coming back to it, but that was largely me hate-playing the game.

Edited on by Ralizah

ACTIVELY PLAYING
Persona 5 Royal (PS4)
Monster Hunter Rise (Switch)
Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

MarioLover92

@Blooper987 @ToadBrigade Yeah I agree with you two. Although the graphics are the same, they look great while being upscaled to 1080p. Sunshine didn't have widescreen support back on the GameCube, so that was a welcome addition when brought over to SM3DAS.

Just throwing this out there, too, ToadBrigade - Galaxy is my favorite 3D Mario game. Once you get your hands on 3D World + Bowser's Fury, hope you enjoy it. 3D World is one of my favorites too!

Nintendo Life's (self-proclaimed) #1 Mario fan! Wahoo!

SMM2 ID: V1J-NRF-PWG
AC:NH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Let me know if you're gonna add my Switch FC. Thank you!

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-8582-2999 | My Nintendo: MarioFan92 | Twitter:

BlueOcean

@Ralizah That song that is repeated in too many courses and that you defined as demented carnival music is the only song that I don't like in the game but I have heard arrangements made by fans that fixed it. It's like Cool Cool Mountain's song, the video posted on this thread has a much better arrangement. Those two songs get a bit annoying after a while. I Disagree with the rest of your comment 😝.

BlueOcean

HobbitGamer

@Ralizah You sure did max out for a game that you despise so much. I think you actually love it, but you're doing your best to convince yourself and us otherwise.
Don't worry, I won't tell.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Lindhardt

I purchased this game 2 days after launch and I am having a good time playing these games. I tried getting into 64, but I already beat it on the DS, and I am getting annoyed by the camera. This collection is my first time playing Sunshine, and I think it is a little overrated. It is still a really good game, but the bugs and really frustrating parts make it feel less fun to me. Super Mario Galaxy is my favorite game of all time, I love the areas and the creativity of it. I feel like the motion control parts like the Ball and Ray are a little easier, (or it is because I am older then when I first played it).

Favorite Games:
1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Portal 2
3. Hollow Knight
4. Fallout 4
5. Persona 4: Golden

ToadBrigade

I know that this is a little off-topic, but I noticed that this site sends me an email every time people comment on this thread. Is there a way to turn that off?

Hollow Knight for Smash!
CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Splatoon 2

NotTelevision

Another curious design choice in Sunshine is how it boots you out of every level, even if you don’t get a Game Over. Why wouldn’t they just let you try that rollercoaster section in Pinata Park again after you failed? Or that blooper surfing level? I could understand if getting to the start of the mission was part of the challenge, but it isn’t.

Glad I played Sunshine, but I’m not sure I’ll ever want to go back to it.

NotTelevision

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic