Forums

Topic: Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Posts 2,341 to 2,360 of 3,084

Slowdive

@StuTwo You've put into words the way I see it as well. The biggest problem I have with Super Mario Odyssey are the Moons. They function basically the same as the blue coins in Super Mario Sunshine; they are annoying collectables and interrupt the gameplay to an annoying extend. It does some really great things, but a lot of the aspects of Super Mario Odyssey are heavily underutilized. There's so much potential there, but the game is ultimately all about collecting Moons.

@Apportal Agreed. 👍

You can take me out of the 90s, but not the 90s out of me.

App

@Octane I’d say the easiest of the 3D games was Odyssey. Galaxy was easy too, but had its moments that’s for sure. I don’t remember a time I had rage-quit in Odyssey, aside from the Darker Side.

App

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

Slowdive

@Octane True. But what do you prefer as a Super Mario entry? Super Mario Odyssey is my favorite non-linear one, and Super Mario 3d World is my favorite linear one. The latter closely followed by Super Mario Galaxy 2.

App

@Slowdive I know you’re not asking me, but I think I’ll answer anyways. I agree that 3D World is the best linear 3D Mario game. Something about it just feels good to play.

Sunshine is my favorite non-linear one. It felt like the only 3D game to come to an actual story, and everything just feels connected. Maybe it’s because you can see other worlds in some locations.

Yeah that’s probably it.

Edited on by App

App

Dezzy

Lol only just figured out you can go back to the airstrip in Sunshine. No wonder I couldn't find 100 coins in Delfino Plaza

Slowdive wrote:

So, what is the consensus here? Is Super Mario Galaxy surpassed by Super Mario Odyssey?

They're fairly equal to me. Galaxy (or Galaxy 2) is the best of the linear games and Odyssey is the best of the exploration games. I appreciate both aspects.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Octane

@Apportal 100% Odyssey run is definitely more difficult than Galaxy. Maybe only because of the stupid rope jumping minigame. I never managed to complete Odyssey.

@Slowdive Probably Sunshine. Best world building and good amount of challenge. 64 is good too, but it's dated and the physics are broken. Galaxy has an amazing atmosphere (story and music are good), but it's a little too linear. Galaxy 2 felt more like a level pack to me. It's very good, but it doesn't lacks any coherence. 3D World is more like a 3D version of 2D Mario, so I find them difficult to compare. And Odyssey, while good, is sometimes a bit too much. Some levels are too big, too many moons, etc. I wasn't a big fan of the rabbits either.

Octane

Octane

@Dezzy You CAN find 100 coins in Delfino Plaza easily. Most of them are in the sewers, but you can also obtain them by spraying open windows, birds, Mario posters, and those small hanging signboards.

Octane

Slowdive

@Apportal @Dezzy @Octane Thanks for sharing your views! I can understand where everybody is coming from.

Dezzy

@Octane

Obviously not easily, given that I hadn't figured out you can spray birds or signs. I did figure out open windows and posters though! Although I didn't spray in open windows, that would just be rude. I tried to jump in.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

App

@Dezzy Yeah like Octane said. The sewers are going to be your biggest help since they probably hold 90% of the coins. I just go into the ocean to retrieve the rest.

I tried to jump in the open windows too. Imagine my disappointment

Edited on by App

App

StuTwo

@Slowdive I think the abundance of moons (sometimes just lying on the floor) is both great and a mistake. It gives a meaningful reward for exploration but at the same time the reward is almost too much sometimes because collecting them feels essential. Tiny secret nooks in a level that normally only a handful of players would ever see are firmly “in the guidebook”.

A 1-up or a bug cache of coins in other Mario games still gave a reward but they were purely optional ‘bragging’ points to make you feel clever/skilled. In a kind of paradoxical way it has far more secrets but it has no real secrets at all.

All that said - the structure makes it easier for anyone to get through the game (this is a good thing). It does integrate the moons as collectables into progression more elegantly than 64 or Sunshine IMO.

I’d like to see Odyssey 2 - I think there’s a lot of untapped potential there - but I’m hoping that the Bowser’s Fury expansion is really substantial because I thought 3D World was a bigger hit of “pure undiluted Mario” and I’d like to see them make more courses like those towards the end of that game.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

App

I noticed in Sunshine that if Mario dies while ramming into a wall with the Blooper, you can see him start crying before you get sent back to isle Delfino. I noticed it on accident while dying in that level 50 or so times.

App

Ralizah

118 stars now. I'm so close. All I need is the 100 coins star for Tiny Huge Island and then, I'm guessing the red coin challenge star for the final Bowser stage. I think I'll do those tomorrow night.

ACTIVELY PLAYING
N/A

RR529

Tonight in 64 I got the other 5 Stars in Shifting Sand Land. It was absolutely infuriating at first until I realized what items around the world make certain tasks easier. The Koopa shell makes getting to the top of the pillars (and up the pyramid) relatively easy as it can safely go over quicksand), and the with the cannon made getting the red coins pretty painless, for example. I didn't mind getting the Stars inside the pyramid, because it was pretty straightforward platforming stuff (just take it slow & steady). I think I'll ignore the 100 coin Star, but I never planned on 100% completing the game, so no biggie.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Tendo64

Moved onto Galaxy as I couldn't wait any longer to experience it again. While I'm not completely immersed in it (I'm only 13 stars in), it's a hell of a lot better than what I remember it to be, probably due to playing with a proper controller. Still not a fan of the remaining motion controls but that's not the end of the world.

Tendo64

NEStalgia

Holy heck sunshine can be infuriating. The camera is terrible at times (behind the ferris wheel, ugh!) The physics dodgy (rolling the watermelon, sand bird riding, the pirate ship ride), and overall is just weird. And yet theres something incredibly charming and addictive about it.....

NEStalgia

Rexenoboy

A short story about my history with 3D Mario games.

Now that more people have been able to experience Mario 64 and Sunshine, I finally feel safe to say how much I dislike these games. SMB2 was my very first game and I used to be a huge Mario fan during my childhood. I got both SMB3 and World at release day and both were my most played games on their respective systems. Naturally, I was pumped to get a N64 with Mario 64 when it came out. I had to wait almost a year until my 14th birthday to get it, and once I did... I was downright disappointed.

Even at that age, and with the novelty of it being the first 3D platformer, I didn't like it. Both the camera and controls never clicked with me and I didn't even like the level designs all that much. It felt too slow and cryptic for a Mario game. For the first time in my gaming life, Mario wasn't my most played game on a console, that honor went to Star Fox 64 and F-Zero X on N64 (both played about equally).

Once the GameCube saw the light of day I was very reserved with my feelings about Sunshine. I made the decision to rent it first and was glad I did. I played it for about 5 hours and in that time encountered a couple too many glitches and other frustrations for me to think it was good enough. I eventually picked up the Player's Choice edition of Sunshine and even finished the game, but it never stood out as a good game to me. At that time I was sure Super Mario games just weren't for me anymore and I moved on to other Nintendo franchises.

Mario Galaxy is an interesting case for me because I loved the concept of it and I thought it played much, much better than M64 and Sunshine, but I've always had trouble with motion sickness playing the Galaxy games. There's something about how the camera and planets move around each other that a part of my brain can't process well enough. As such, I can only play these games in short bursts. Which is frustrating because Galaxy was the first 3D Mario game I actually liked. It's just that I've never been able to enjoy them to their fullest.

After the Galaxy games came 3D World, but I want to talk Odyssey first. Super Mario Odyssey is boring. There, I said it. It's way too easy, there's almost no platforming involved, the Moons you have to collect are so abundant nothing you do feels satisfying anymore,... It's boring and tedious and an all-around poor-mans collect-a-thon game.

Now, if you're still reading this: 3D World ranks as my favorite 3D Mario game. It takes everything great about 2D Mario games and puts it in a 3D playing ground, has 5 playable characters with different playstyles and adds 4-player multiplayer that works ten times better than the New Super Mario games ever did. It's fun from beginning to end, the best Super Mario game since World on SNES and I'm super hyped about it coming to Switch next year!

Edited on by Rexenoboy

Treasure Acquired

NotTelevision

@NEStalgia Haha. Agreed on all counts.

Also if there is a hell it is called “Yoshi’s Fruit Adventure”. I’m going to have to pound for a durian for the 5th time. 😭

Still a solid 8/10 game though.

NotTelevision

BlueOcean

@Octane I was confused by @Balta666 about the coins in Super Mario Sunshine because there is not a "swamp stage" in Super Mario 64. It has been a long time since I beat Super Mario Sunshine.

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic