Forums

Topic: Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Posts 2,341 to 2,360 of 3,125

MarioVillager92

I can't get the timing down for getting a head start for the Cosmic Mario races. I've done it a few times from my multiple playthroughs of SMG, but that rarely happens. I've been beating him every time though! (In my 3D All-Stars playthrough, to be more specific)

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

Lindhardt

@MarioLover92 I didn't know you could get a head start in the races. I win by abusing the long jump.

Favorite Games:
1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Portal 2
3. Hollow Knight
4. Fallout 4
5. Persona 4: Golden

Banjo-

@StuTwo If you read all my comments you'll see that you misunderstood what I said about Odyssey when I said that it is "Mario meets Breath of the Wild" because I wasn't discussing freedom or sandbox. I mean that they're half walking simulators with collectibles. My opinion about Super Mario 64 is written here and in other posts and Beaucine (that you named) agreed.

https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/nintendo-switch/mario_3d_...

https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/nintendo-switch/mario_3d_...

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

MarioVillager92

@Lindhardt Yep, you can get a head start in the Cosmic Mario races, ala the Rocket Start from the Mario Kart series. If you get the timing just right, you'll be running super fast for a few seconds.

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

1UP_MARIO

I’m not 100 % sure but I think it was holding up on the stick then press A right after count down on START

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Banjo-

I've started Super Mario Sunshine, the controls are smooth and the game really looks much crisper and in a widescreen aspect ratio which means that you see much more. Really, it looks awesome, I'm playing it on the GameCube a little bit to compare and even on the Lite screen the Switch port looks absolutely gorgeous. I'm going to play this one slowly, I don't want to rush it. I've been waiting for this remaster for a long time.

I love the graphics, the soundtrack, the voice acting, the story, the script, the water, the controls and Isle Delfino.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

NotTelevision

The port of Mario Galaxy is fantastic and even better than the Wii original. The biggest problem with the Wii version was it got tiring pointing the controller at the screen and waving it around for star bits. Playing it with the Switch Pro Controller has been super comfortable in comparison.

Problem is that once you’re done this one you’ll be itching for Galaxy 2. Hopefully that’ll turn up on the Switch at some point.

NotTelevision

link3710

So I've just started Sunshine now, and I'm enjoying it greatly compared to 64. Currently trying to go through the level in Pianta Village with all the fire goo, this ones gonna take me a bit.

link3710

porto

@link3710 I remember swearing at my TV thanks to that level. I would always get the Y and A button mixed up and fall when I wanted to grab something. I eventually found a video on YouTube to help me out though and it worked, so I suggest you try that before getting too angry

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

link3710

@Apportal Ah, I know at least three ways to solve this level. Spraying water with spin jumps, following that unintended path, or going beneath. I actually really enjoy it tbh? Cause of how you can look around and know there's maybe even more ways to solve it lying around.

link3710

porto

@link3710 I don't quite understand what you mean when you say "spraying water with spin jumps". You don't have FLUDD for that level. Could you be more specific?

porto

link3710

@Apportal Oh, sure! So if you swim into the central pool, you can get close to the path you need to get to. When Mario jumps out of the water, water sticks to him. So if you spin jump, he sprays a small amount of water everywhere.

You can do this repeatedly and build a path you can triple jump over to the main path with. All jumps work, spin jumps are easiest cause you have a lot of control over where you land.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

MarioVillager92

Getting closer to 120 stars in Super Mario Galaxy. Still an excellent game after all these years.

porto

@link3710 oh, I never knew about that path! I'll have to try that just for kicks. We'll see how that goes...

porto

Octane

I know about that shortcut, but it always looks a lot harder to pull off than going the intended path.

Octane

StuTwo

@BlueOcean My apologies - I couldn't spot it was you who had compared Odyssey to BoTW. I don't agree that either game can be called a "walking simulator". It's not a categorisation I agree with.

The defining feature of BoTW is the ability to approach any obstacle in a wide variety of ways including some clearly never conceived by the developers. Odyssey has elements of that - as does Sunshine (see the posts immediately preceding this one) but Mario 64 is full of it. It is a platform game but it's also an improvisational navigation game that just happens to include a lot of jumping.

That was Nintendo's vision for the future of the 3d platform game in 1996 and very few games ever really took that on. It's why it still feels very liberating to play from a design sense (even if it's clearly got some issues in places that are very much of its time) and why it's popular to speed run.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Bolt_Strike

@Apportal Wow, I never knew about that one, interesting. I would always just use the "spray the water" path. The Prima Games guide for Sunshine also mentioned a path where you use spin jumps to get across the mushrooms near the start of the level (not sure if that's what you mean by "go below" or if you're talking about the intended path), but I could never pull that off as I'm not very good at spin jumps. Spraying the water is kind of hard at first, and it gets annoying because the Coo Coos drop more lava every once in a while ruining your progress, but it gets pretty easy with practice.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Zeldafan79

@Northwind
2D mario could use a serious overhaul. Sick of Mario maker and the last 2D series NSMB. We need a fresh take on 2D mario.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

RR529

Cleared the Shadow Mario mission in Bianco Hills last night, which was surprisingly the most breezy mission in the world (so far, haven't checked to see if there are missions after Shadow Mario) I found. The second FLUDD-less level beforehand though was definitely a workout (especially those devious rotating cubes you have to ride), as I think I probably died at least 10 times trying to clear it. Definitely harder at the outset than 64, though the controls & camera are much better.

Also did the first Noki Bay mission, where you have to fight Gooper Blooper. It wasn't a hard fight, but annoying as a lot of the times I just couldn't get a good grip on his tentacles (I know you can butt stomp them to flatten them, but I could be standing right on top of it and Mario wouldn't grab it).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Octane

@RR529 You don't need to butt stomp the tentacles, jumping on them is enough. You don't even need to pull off the tentacles. If you're quick enough, you can pull his nozzle back, and release it when his eyes turn purple. That's enough, you don't have to pull it all the way.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic