Forums

Topic: Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Posts 2,281 to 2,300 of 3,125

Beaucine

@Apportal

Yeah, it can get brutal, and Mario's buttery handling, which usually I don't have a problem with, isn't a great fit for Rainbow Road.

Beaucine

StuTwo

@1UP_MARIO I'd have to rank your final scorecard as a B-.

Yes I can see you've got all of the stars but you haven't got the highest possible number of coins in every course yet. Please try harder next time...

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

1UP_MARIO

@StuTwo I get 100 and jump off 😉

I’d take that b- thanks

Edited on by 1UP_MARIO

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Beaucine

I'm a bit terrified of the 100-coin challenge in Rainbow Road, heh. Don't know if I dare. I've enjoyed the 100-coin stars I've gotten, but they were in the relatively laid-back early levels with easy, low-stress traversal.

Beaucine

1UP_MARIO

@Beaucine if you can get all the blue coins next to the red coin maze then it’s easier

Banjo-

@1UP_MARIO Well done, once again!

@Beaucine That's the problem with Tiny-huge Island. Stay small most of the time but when you're big, explore and interact with the central part of the course. For getting 100 coins in Rainbow Ride, what he suggested. Actually, try exactly that first of all because you need to wall jump a few times before the blue coins disappear.

Banjo-

1UP_MARIO

@BlueOcean thanks. Let us know how you get on

link3710

Okay, I'm warming up to the game again, Tiny Huge Island, Tall Tall Mountain, and Wet Dry World were genuinely fun again, unlike basically the entire basement. The fact that you can choose your entrance in two of those levels significantly helped things by letting giving back control and choice.

I've gotten every star now except for the third floor ones, two in Dire Dire Docks (the 100 coin and red coin since I got rather... upset at losing with 90 something coins because of a random warp back to the castle that doesn't even look dangerous), and maaabye one or two castle secret stars I've forgotten? I'm at 102 stars now, so with the 14 from the third floor and the 1 from Bowser's and the 2 from DDD, there's still one secret for me to find it appears.

EDIT: Nm, I figured out which secret star it was (MIPS 2), so I'm almost done.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

porto

Well, boys and girls I finally beat Sixty-Four. It's been a long road. My final verdict of the game is 9/10. Even if the camera and controls are awful, you have to give it credit for starting a new era of 3D platformers.

My favorite level is of the game is a cross between Cool, Cool, Mountain, and Shifting Sand Land. I like Cool Mountain for its platforming, and I like Sand Land for its stars. My least favorite world is Rainbow Road. I like the design, but almost all the levels revolve around waiting, or impossible platforming. Not exactly my favorite by any means.

If you defeat the final Bowser, is there any way to continue playing? I completely remember being able to play after the credits.

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

3dg3d3m0n

The N64 was my last console before the switch, so I haven't played Sunshine or Galaxy, I bought this for SM64 with the others being a massive bonus.
Yes, the camera is crap, the levels are tiny compared to SMO, but it still has that sense of fun that I remember so well. At the time I thought it was truly genre defining and loved it, now it's dated but still fun for us old guys with the memories of just how good this was at the time. Will carry on and complete this and then I have 2 brand new Mario games to complete, for me this is an absolute bargain purchase

3dg3d3m0n

MarioVillager92

@Apportal Yeah, Rainbow Ride is my least favorite SM64 level too. Riding those carpets is wayyyy too much of a drag for me. Plus you have to deal with that really long carpet ride three times to get those three stars...not my idea of fun. Cool, Cool Mountain is a great level - I like Jolly Roger Bay as well.

If you finish the last Bowser fight, you will have to reset/quit the game after watching the credits. It's one of those old Nintendo games that hangs on the "The End" screen unless you reset or turn off the console.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

PrincessMagical

@Zeldafan79 I don't hate any level in Mario 64 but if I had to pick a least favorite it would be Bomb-OMB Battlefield. I don't hate it but it's my least favorite.

PrincessMagical

Help_Mii

I was doing the second star on Gusty Gardens. I managed to get to the big Mole boss at the end. The one chasing the Bunny. Then, after the second time I hit him, he runs into me as I had 1 health. But due to collateral, he also hit the spiky plants and one of them dropped a coin as I was at 0 health and it brought me back up to 1 and Mario stood up. I managed to get a capture of it on my Switch. I can't seem to post it here so I will link to the video I uploaded of it to Youtube. https://youtu.be/DUmUPKB6uGg

Help_Mii

link3710

Worst level in Mario 64 is Dire Dire Docks, if only on the grounds of being completely uninteresting (The soundtrack being the only reason to visit that level. Rainbow Ride is at least tolerable thanks to being able to skip the first carpet ride with a very easy long jump to the pole at the start.Still, the fact that you have to take the same slow carpet ride 3 times minimum is definitely a negative on that level, just like the sheer number of times you have to climb Tick Tock clock to get all the stars. Though, Tick Tock Clock wins out by feeling more fair in it's challenges, and having 4 different speeds for the moving platforms so different climbs feel different.

@Help_Mii That's the Zombie glitch, which is practically a 3D Mario staple. I know it's definitely in 64 too, and I'm pretty sure you can also trigger it in Sunshine. So long as the game never gets into a state where it can check for a game over, you can always come back to life when damaged.

link3710

porto

I finally conquered my mortal enemy.

The chuckster level.

The rest of Pianta Village's levels were no challenge at all. I easily defeated Shadow Mario and now I'm off to COVI- I mean Corona Mountain!

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

Lindhardt

@Apportal The chuckster level makes it a 4/5.

Favorite Games:
1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Portal 2
3. Hollow Knight
4. Fallout 4
5. Persona 4: Golden

Banjo-

@Help_Mii That's epic! LOL

@Apportal Congratulations! My least favourite level is Tiny-Huge Island and it's actually the only level where I have serious issues with the camera, not to mention the tiny Goombas and flames that send you to a letal pit. My favourite levels are Tall Tall Mountain, Whomp's Fortress, Cool Cool Mountain, Big Boo’s Haunt and Shifting Sand Land.

Check this:

https://twinfinite.net/2020/09/best-super-mario-64-levels-all...

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Banjo-

Why Wet-Dry World is sinister and the city is a prison intended as a graveyard. I have always felt that there was something wrong about the city, the ceiling, the chapel, the central statue, the trees... Watching this explains much to my inner child.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Tendo64

Balta666 wrote:

@Tendo64 you can go to the top of the windmill and jump on the top rope column and go down from there. I got them all in one go.

For whatever reason I have a problem with really overcomplicating things in video games sometimes. Probably why I've always sucked at the Zelda games and definitely the reason I found that red coin mission so frustrating.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7976-6692-0199

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic