Forums

Topic: Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Posts 2,281 to 2,300 of 3,202

BlueOcean

@Apportal I like you but I don't like what you are saying...

Just kidding.

Remember this collection has three Mario games. It should have four, though.

BlueOcean

App

@BlueOcean Yeah. But no matter what you think about Odyssey, (which I’m fine with) you gotta admit it was a pretty big game. It came out in the beginning years of the Switch when it was incredibly active, and in turn was pretty popular. I’m not saying Odyssey is better than this collection, I’m just saying I think it was bigger.

App

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

Dezzy

Went for the 100 coins on Gelato Beach, and stupidly chose a version of the level where you need to get the coins really high up, in the middle of nowhere. That was fun. Took like 20 attempts.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

link3710

@Apportal This game is significantly more controversial (which always generates more posts) than Odyssey, plus Odyssey was released in a significantly more crowded year.

Plus, quite frankly, a ton of Odyssey discussion happened in the Nintendo Switch thread, rather than in it's dedicated thread.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

BlueOcean

@Apportal @link3710 Odyssey was a bigger effort that this lazy compilation, that's for sure. I love the games included here but Nintendo should have put more effort and resources into this.

BlueOcean

Losermagnet

@Beaucine I wonder if that similarity is intentional. I think how character names originate, or are localized is a really interesting subject. Not related to video games, but there's an animated movie called 'Castle in the Sky' that's original name was 'Laputa' and i've read that it was changed because it resembles 'La Puta' which is derogatory, or a swear, or both (cant remember).

@Apportal i'm being a bit hard on 64. For what it is (is it the first 3d platformer in 3rd person view?) it's amazingly playable. There are modern games that still can't grasp the basics, so for 64 to invent most of it and be great speaks to its quality.

Edit: it's still my least favorite 3d Mario game though 😑

Edited on by Losermagnet

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Beaucine

@Losermagnet

I doubt it was intentional, but it's humorous for a Spanish-speaker. "Loquito" is the diminutive form of "loco," or "crazy guy," so it's not even an official word. You won't find it in the Real Academia Española dictionary. Lakitu is also not an exact homonym.

"Laputa," on the other hand... Also probably not intentional, but in that case it's the same spelling and sound, so... Technically, it means, well, um, "female sex worker," in politically-correct terms. It's a swear word and an insult, though it can also be used when you're reacting angrily to something, especially in the form: "La puta madre..."

That one's particularly common in Argentina and I used it quite a lot just now during the Big Penguin Race!

Edited on by Beaucine

Beaucine

App

@link3710 Good points. (This also may have more posts simply because of me) I’ve never really been interested in the Nintendo Switch Thread. If I want to discuss a game I go to the game specifically for that thread.

Edited on by App

App

Losermagnet

Beaucine wrote:

I used it quite a lot just now during the Big Penguin Race!

Haha, that got a laugh outta me. Thanks for that. Incidentally, the movie didn't have anything to do with female sex workers. I promise.

Edited on by Losermagnet

1UP_MARIO

Melty monster galaxy theme

This theme is a preparation for war.

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5229-5058-9308

BlueOcean

It's going to be weird if Nintendo releases Super Mario Galaxy 2 separately after March and we get a separate icon for the sequel to Super Mario Galaxy.

BlueOcean

App

I’m finally getting the hang of 64. I got a rhythm, and now it’s pretty fun. My favorite area so far is Lethal Lava Land. The best way I can describe it is one of the hardest, yet easiest courses.

App

Losermagnet

Yeah I wonder what Ninty is gonna do with Galaxy 2 (if anything). I don't think it'll be dlc and i don't see them selling it seperately for $20 - $30. Digital download only is a possibility I s'pose.

NintendoByNature

I might just grab galaxy 2 on wii u when I finish 1 on the collection

NintendoByNature

1UP_MARIO

@NintendoByNature I can guarantee you won’t be disappointed. 😉

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5229-5058-9308

NintendoByNature

@1UP_MARIO nice 👌. Ill be getting eshop credits this weekend for my bday im sure so I'll be sure to save some on the side for it 😉

NintendoByNature

BlueOcean

@NintendoByNature I recently beat it 100% and I don't feel like doing it again. In Super Mario Galaxy after the first 100%, you can do the same with Luigi (I did) and then get a final star. In Super Mario Galaxy 2, after the first 100% you can get green stars (I did) but most of them are like scattered Odyssey moons that force you into using a guide. You probably know this, though. Thing is, I've done all this twice, once on Wii and once on Wii U.

I still haven't received my copy of Super Mario 3D All-Stars and I'll play all three games 100% in chronological order but I'm most excited about Super Mario Sunshine because it's HD, widescreen, the HUD is smaller (it is huge in the original version) and I have only completed it 100% once (on GameCube) in spite of being my favourite 3D Mario game.

@Apportal I love how you and @Losermagnet are appreciating Super Mario 64 and you @Apportal Super Mario Sunshine as well (he's not jumping between games). Super Mario 64 is old but fun!

@Losermagnet Imagine if they release Super Mario 3D All-Stars 2 with Super Mario Galaxy 2, Super Mario 3D Land and Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury. Just dreaming but it would include the other half of the stars (Odyssey is a current-gen game).

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

NintendoByNature

@BlueOcean nice I really didn't know that but thanks for sharing. I'm playing in order myself. About 15 shines into sunshine at this point and its seriously an awesome game. It looks amazing too. Today at Walmart I saw they had at least 8 to 10 copies of the collection stocked. So at least they're shipping copies out for people to grab

NintendoByNature

BlueOcean

@NintendoByNature I'm waiting because I used an Amazon voucher which was about to expire. Anyway, you'll like Super Mario Galaxy 2, I liked both Galaxy games (I liked 2 a bit more) although I hate motion controls in platformers as everybody knows 😂. I'm curious about how SMG plays on a Switch Lite, you touch the screen for star bits, it doesn't sound great.

BlueOcean

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic