Forums

Topic: Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Posts 2,181 to 2,200 of 3,125

Banjo-

@Octane @Bolt_Strike That's all you care, that tiny part of my comment? 🤔 The same level with and without FLUDD is still the same level and I said "If I remember correctly" so need for nit-picking.

BlueOcean wrote:

if I remember correctly, there is only one secret level per world.

@Zeldafan79 The game consists in learning the order 😉.

Banjo-

RR529

Just beat the final Bowser level in 64! Surprisingly the platforming gauntlet beforehand didn't trouble me (got through it on my first try, and pretty quickly at that), but I swear it took me like 10 tries to beat the big guy himself, as I just couldn't get the hang of throwing him into the bombs (I could maybe hit one for every 10 times I threw him), and he kept wearing me down. I started doing a bit better every time I fought him though, and finally prevailed.

I may go back to check out Snowman Land & Tiny Huge Island, but am so ready to move on to Sunshine, which will be completely new to me.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

link3710

@Zeldafan79 Nope, it's terrible game design. Add it to my rant about why SM64 isn't worth going back to. The fact that they completely reuse objectives all over the place wouldn't be so bad if the objectives weren't so terrible to begin with. It's like how I feel about the sheep herding in Odyssey.

link3710

Beaucine

Are you guys playing a different game? Maybe that meme about every copy of Mario 64 being personalized is true, after all.

It's just that the stuff many of you are complaining about didn't even register with me. I'm almost 60 stars in, and I have yet to stumble into a "reused objective," unless you're counting the red coins or chests, but those are rather different depending on the context, so I don't get the point.

As for the chests, no, there's no hint, but you just do some trial-and-error and memorization for thirty seconds and you're done. It's very obvious which chest is the first one inside the ship, too, because it's placed apart from the rest. From there, you intuit the likely pattern. Whenever you open the correct chest a big bubble of air replenishes whatever health you've lost, so it's not that dramatic. I don't think it's bad game design at all, it's simply that trial-and-error and memorization (as well as speed) is the challenge, as opposed to finding a clue somewhere. Maybe you don't like that and it's fine, but it's not like the developers were unaware of what they were doing.

Edited on by Beaucine

Beaucine

porto

@BlueOcean I actually think Sunshine is fairly easy once you get the hang of it. I’m up to 76 shines now, much more then my last playthough.

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

porto

I’m up to 32 stars in Galaxy, 57 stars in Sixty-Four, and 76 shines in Sunshine. I like doing them off-and-on, even if I’ve been playing Sunshine the most.

porto

Banjo-

@Beaucine Agreed.

@Apportal Well done. That's because when you learn to use FLUDD, 95% of the game is under control. Yes, there are some extraordinary challenges under special conditions but they don't break the whole game.

Banjo-

MarioVillager92

I have 91 Shine Sprites so far. Since I beat Super Mario 64 I've been flip-flopping between Sunshine and Galaxy, but I've been playing Sunshine more. I haven't turned in any of my blue coins yet.

SMS has some jank missions, and some of the blue coins are incredibly hard to find. But other than those, I'm really enjoying my time with it. I feel it has a better roster of worlds than 64, as well as the most lively hub world. Mario controls better in Sunshine than in 64, and FLUDD is fun to use too. Especially the Rocket Nozzle. Felt good to come back to this one...I think I like Sunshine a tad more than 64 now!

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

link3710

97 coins in Dire Dire Docks then I decided to investigate the black hole in the wall because I couldn't find any more and I couldn't remember why I was instinctively ignoring it... sighs... Why is that warp even there? I'l finish that level later.

Also, I can't find the secret slide entrance in Tall Tall Mountain after an hour of exploring. Probably taking a break for awhile.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

Banjo-

@Octane No problem but that was the least important part of my comment and all Bolt_Strike said about it is that it was wrong 😅.

The last time that I completed Super Mario Sunshine was in the GameCube generation. No, my copy of Super Mario 3D All-Stars hasn't arrived yet. It says it's been shipped so hopefully soon.

Banjo-

Bolt_Strike

@BlueOcean Dude, chill. I never said I don't care, I just don't disagree with anything else you say/don't have anything to say about it. And yes, I know you didn't know for sure, I'm clearing things up for you.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

1UP_MARIO

96 stars in Mario 64 four hours played. @link3710 I had the same problem with dire dire docks. The last coins I needed was next to the black hole yet I got sucked in. Dire dire docks is the hardest 100 coin mission.
The secret slide is next to the wall when you climb the mountain. It does wobble a bit when your near it.

Edited on by 1UP_MARIO

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Banjo-

@link3710 After finding the cloud that blows, clear the gap with a long jump. You'll reach the secret entrance on the grey wall on your left. It's square and wobbles like the paintings in the castle.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

porto

@link3710 I'm not looking forward to collecting those coins

I never knew there was a secret slide entrance in that world. Tall, Tall Mountain is pretty generic on its own, but I had quite a bit of fun with it. But that star on the mushroom... I don't know why I died so much there, but I did. I felt so embarrassed lol.

porto

link3710

@1UP_MARIO Now I remember! There's a fake wall involved. Ugh, no wonder I couldn't find it by looking for good places to look around in first person view.

@Apportal I died 3 times there. That star is evil, having you have to hit it dead on or else die. There's a reason there's so many 1-up that are easy to find in that world.

link3710

1UP_MARIO

@link3710 @Apportal even if you fail to get the star. It’s really quick going back there again. When you start the stage go to the mushrooms when the red coins are and jump on the smallest mushroom and you will warp close to the cannon

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

link3710

@1UP_MARIO Oh duh, I knew there was a teleporter on one of the mushrooms but somehow I missed trying that one. Ah well, I already got it. And I'm not sure how you're supposed to get there normally, but I was just jumping off the edge backwards and diving down to it, so it wasn't too bad.

link3710

Octane

@1UP_MARIO Funny thing is, I only have the 100 coin star in Dire Dire Docks at the moment. I didn't know it was the most difficult one. Between the red coins, blue coins, and the regular coins, it's very doable. There may not be a lot of them, but hardly any coin is missable.

Octane

Banjo-

@Octane Not the most difficult but the one with the least coins. Most worlds have around 150 coins including enemies' coins but are also bigger and more difficult to traverse.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic